Surprise! Tori Spelling & Family Outgrew Their Malibu House Already and Put It Back on the Market

by hookedonhouses on April 19, 2012

Well, that didn’t last long. Remember how I told you that Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott sold their big house in Encino and moved their family of 4 into a 3-bedroom house in Malibu last fall, a month before giving birth to baby #3? Last we saw them on their reality show Home Sweet Hollywood, they were happily settling in.

Since then, they were surprised with a 4th pregnancy and realized they would need more space. So now the cozy green house in Point Dume is back on the market and they’re moving on. Again.

They bought the house in September for $2.4 million, made about $100,000 worth of upgrades to the house, and have now listed it for $2.675 million.

Some improvements they made to the house in the short amount of time they lived there: new appliances, a chicken coop in the backyard, and the installation of 100-year old reclaimed oak wood flooring from France.

As you can see in these photos, it looks like the family has already moved out. The question is, where did they move to? If anyone knows, fill us in! (She hasn’t been answering my calls…)

The house sits on 1.8 acres in the Point Dume area of Malibu. It has 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and 2,300 square feet. Would have loved to have seen how it looked when their furniture was still in it.

In this photo, you can see how they created a room for both their son Liam and daughter Stella–by splitting the decor down the middle! (If you watch their show, you’ll remember how unhappy Liam was when he was told he’d be sharing with his sister.)

Go to the Wall Street Journal and the listing by Madison Hildebrand for more photos and information. Photos by John Hildebrand. Photo of Tori and fam walking their pet goat via Us magazine. (Thanks to Nita for the scoop!)

Wonder if the hens come with the chicken coop?

See how the house looked when they bought it: Tori & Dean Downsize in Malibu.

P.S. You can also check out pics of their former home in Encino here. I was impressed by the makeover she gave their family room.

Click Here to See the Top 10 Most Popular Celebrity Houses!

Luciane at Homebunch.com April 19, 2012 at 7:22 am

The 4th??? Wow! That’s beautiful! I have 3 children and I’m loving having a big family. It’s a lot of work, but so great!

I can’t wait to see their new home. They always know what they’re doing when it comes to decor.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Corporate Wife April 19, 2012 at 7:47 am

That Tori certainly keeps you in business Julia! I’m waiting for the day when the McDermott menagerie has to make an offer on the Manor, for the sake of space.

hookedonhouses April 19, 2012 at 8:11 am

I know! I could have a blog that just chronicled the moves Tori makes to new houses each year. She’s hard to keep up with! :)

Sarah @ housecrazy April 19, 2012 at 7:57 am

Oh I so bummed… I loved that cozy rancher and wanted to see what the Spelling-McDermit’s would do with it over time!

It is odd that the pics have no furniture… and I’m surprised that Tori didn’t “neutralize” some of the very out-there colors in certain rooms (the kids room!)

Megan April 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Yes, to everything you said!

I’m bummed they are moving out, as this house had a ton of character to it (that bookcase for a wall!).

Pam @ diy Design Fanatic April 19, 2012 at 8:17 am

It’s no wonder they outgrew their current house so quickly. It’s looks small compared and certainly not as grand as their last house…I’m sure her bedroom at the Spelling mansion was bigger than her house in Malibu.

ashley @ the handmade home April 19, 2012 at 8:21 am

The floooooooorrrrrrrrrsssssssssssss. I had to wipe the drool. That is all. ;}

Julie April 19, 2012 at 10:45 am

I agree, gorgeous floors!

Pat Trent April 19, 2012 at 8:27 am

I can’t wait to see the new digs….I’m counting on you Julia to keep us up to date! Tori seems to have a knack for decorating, and appears to be a loving mom. Oh, and she has great taste in flooring!!!

Rick April 19, 2012 at 8:48 am

I can see Tori has not been afraid of bright colors or large patterns. She has a great sense of drama and fun. More drama than is in my comfort zone, but they seem to love it.
I would love to see the finished house but it may need to be on their show before it is shown elsewhere.
Sometimes you get all the projects done so it’s time to move. I speak from experience. We will stay in our current home for many years because we will never run out of projects.

Hope Maizie is doing well and enjoying warm weather. :)

rick

hookedonhouses April 19, 2012 at 11:18 am

Maizie just got a haircut, so she’s all ready for the warmer weather. Even more exciting–my mom adopted a Yorkipoo, so Maizie is going to have a little friend to play with this summer. We’re pretty excited about that around here. I’ll have to post photos of her soon–she’s a cutie! :)

Jane April 20, 2012 at 9:20 am

More videos of Maizie, please. Such a cutie and her Before and After story is so heartwarming!

hookedonhouses April 20, 2012 at 10:30 am

Aw, that’s so nice of you to want to see more of my pup! She had dental surgery recently and is doing much better now that it’s behind her (she still had a lot of damaged and loose teeth from her injuries and broken jaw last year). I’ll have to post an update on her soon. Thanks, Jane! :)

Nicole Mulvany April 19, 2012 at 9:15 am

I think she is never satisfied with where she is at that moment. She always needs a project. She should buy one house for the ‘forever’ house to build memories in. Then go and buy some massive house to remodel and that will keep her busy for years. Her kids are moving as if they are in the military. I can’t imagine that is fun after a while.

I never did see how that ranch they bought last was going to work. I am all for kids sharing a room. But, when a brother and sister so close in age are fighting sharing a room and asking for space (my pediatrician says) that you should accommodate them. Even if it’s just a closet sized room. It’s theirs and it makes them feel like they have their own space.

She has great taste. So I am certain the next house will be stunning. I saw her in an interview and she said “clearly I am proof you can get pregnant while breastfeeding.” I can’t imagine having a baby on the way already. I am sure she is exhausted. And moving! Wow craziness!

Sheryl April 19, 2012 at 9:16 am

I think Tori would be happier as a realtor, interior decorator, and/or architect with all the moving she is doing. Can’t say I don’t blame her, if I had the money I’d love to buy a house just for the sole purpose of fixing it up.

Molly @thewaffler April 19, 2012 at 9:19 am

I love what they did to the ranch. I’m sure you’ll get the scoop about their new digs; can’t wait to see where they move to…maybe a chic llama farm?

hookedonhouses April 19, 2012 at 11:17 am

I could see that! :)

Christina from Dallas April 19, 2012 at 9:51 am

Maybe they moved in with Candy. She has 17,000 square feet. They probably were bursting at the seems in that house. Too hard to keep clean and toys put away for prospective buyers.

hookedonhouses April 19, 2012 at 11:16 am

Ha–maybe!

Mary April 19, 2012 at 10:15 am

I think this house is just a dream – love those French floors – lovely kitchen and super lovely to have a chicken coop – not crazy about the kids room – perhaps a lick of paint needed there –
Mary x

Janelle April 19, 2012 at 10:17 am

If I had to live in a house like that, I’d probably move out, too. Wow!

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints April 19, 2012 at 10:23 am

it even looks cool without furniture. oh to be able to move whenever i wanted and have somebody do all the work. that would be quite a luxury.

Tracey April 19, 2012 at 10:59 am

Keep us posted Julia!!!! I found your blog by searching for pics of Stella’s nursery in their first house … I was looking forward to seeing the renovations they made to this house. I agree it would have been fun to see it with their furniture in there. I, too, love those floors!

Jamie April 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

Love Tori and Dean but I hope they can plant some roots now. I feel for the kids.

Nita April 19, 2012 at 11:20 am

I sure wanted to see them doing up this house and living there in the country awhile. Where could they be going?

Aria April 19, 2012 at 11:45 am

I’m all about recycling so if the new owners don’t want the wood floors, can I have them? ;)

Too bad they up and left the chickens behind. Poor hens. Would love to have a coop like that!! Ours is in serious need of updating :(

Julie B. [Holland] April 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm

they showed this house yday on E! news and there was still food in the fridge, they must have just moved out. Maybe coming back the chicks? lol ! Cant wait to see their next place, Julia hope you keep your eyes and ears open. Think it will be more like a farm?

Catherine April 19, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Even before having their fourth child, they should not have moved to a home of less than 3,500 sq ft, which would be half the size of their previous home. Anything less would feel cramped. I can not imagine why on earth anyone with their money would buy a house where their son and daughter would be forced to share a room, and style it with boy/girl decor split down the middle. Decor that tacky should only be considered as an absolute last resort!

Karyn April 20, 2012 at 10:21 pm

California is a very expensive place to live. The only reason I can possibly think of Tori & Dean purchasing a smaller house and forcing opposite gender kids to share a room is finances. Who downsizes with 3 little kids?

Kim April 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I am not one bit surprised Tori and Dean moved. This house was way too small for their family to begin with. Especially because they were all use to living in such a huge house. It will be interesting to see what they buy next. I know I am certainly going to keep an eye out.

AGC April 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm

It’s interesting how many people seem to think this 2300 square foot house was too small for a family of 5. I can see the angle that Tori is used to having an excess of space in the past, so that might affect things. But I would argue that this is plenty of space to raise 2 to 3 kids in! Four would have been pushing it, but they could have built on to the house at that point. Just my opinion!

Karyn April 20, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I don’t think its the 2300 sq ft. It’s their long careers in acting that has so many people surprised about their home purchase. You’d think they would have one place and added on by now.

Amanda @ Serenity Now April 19, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Beautiful, beautiful floors. The kids’ rooms are a little loud for my tastes, but fun. :)

HollyM April 19, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Tori is certainly a project gal. Creative, sure. Exhausting, definitely. She needs to put down roots, and I think she will . . . eventually. But to do that, she’ll have to stop jumping at almost-good-enough houses and take her time deciding.

I don’t always like everything she’s decorated (the inn), but she does seem to have quite a flair for design. I think she could be quite successful if she chose to take her career in that direction.

Or maybe she and Dean are just serial flippers. Hard to make money doing that in the CA real estate market these days, but . . .

Laura @CookieCrumbsAndSawdust.blogspot.com April 19, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I was pretty surprised too hear about #4 as well. But not surprised that they decided to move on. Interesting to see what houses are perceived as too small or large. I wonder what someone from the Tiny House movement thinks.

Laura

Nathan April 19, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Not one bit surprised. I understand wanting to feel that connection to family that you just wouldn’t be able to have in the Spelling Manor but a house of this size is just much too small for a family of their size (which apparently keeps growing).

Des April 19, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I never understood why they bought the house in the first place when it was so obvious it was too small from the start?!?!? I mean if know you want a big family why would you even think of downsizing to a much smaller house?!?! With that said it is always entertaining to see how they decorate their new place. LOL
~Des

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com April 20, 2012 at 8:04 am

OMG I really like this place.
But it’s the goat that’s cracking me up.

hookedonhouses April 20, 2012 at 8:58 am

I know–gotta love that they have pet goats!

Jane April 20, 2012 at 9:28 am

Actually love the green kitchen. I’m reeling from the thought of having 2 kids who are both less than a year old. She noted the baby was a month old when she got pregnant again! Must be a bit like raising twins.

Karen April 20, 2012 at 12:05 pm

The flooring is beautiful and I especially like the family room with the fireplace, arched ceilings and access to what looks like a deck. On my screen the kitchen looks more like a yellow/green, but more yellow. I’m not a fan of that color, but only because I had to live with the original yellow metal cabinets that were in my 1950′s ranch. There was also a yellow floor to boot, so it was an overdose which led to my distaste of those colors which still continues. Also it doesn’t surprise me, since their previous space was much larger that a downsize would feel too small, and even more so if they are flush with money to afford a much larger home. The kids need separate rooms. I’d probably neutralize their spaces if I intended to sell.

Voluptuous Vegan April 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Was question about who’s taking care of the chickens too much?

hookedonhouses April 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Not at all. I wondered the same thing! (Your comment ended up on the photo page for the chicken coop if you’re looking for it.)

Jodi from New Jersey April 20, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Dear God! Didn’t they remember how it happened the last three times?! I knew they wouldn’t last in that smaller house. I guess it sounded like a good idea.. oh well, good luck to all..

Nana Rose April 20, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I have enjoyed watching their show and seeing how they are doing as a family and do agree a 3 bedroom house just would be to small for their growing family and although I would like to see their new home I don’t mind waiting until the next season of shows because after all they are first a family before celebrities and deserve their privacy to raise and enjoy a family. Wish them well and much happiness.

polly dove April 20, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I figured they would come to the realization that that was just a tad bit too drastic of a “downsize”!!!!

2inz4me April 21, 2012 at 1:52 am

Not my style. I bet they wanted tear it down and build something bigger, but Malibu wouldn’t approve the plans….just a hunch… Maybe that’s why the were hardly there.

caroline April 21, 2012 at 4:59 am

Ok is it just me or are they walking a goat in that first photo? It does not look like a dog at all!

caroline April 21, 2012 at 5:00 am

ok so it is a goat after all

2inz4me April 21, 2012 at 10:47 am

And the kids are being pushed in a wheelbarrow…not how most families go for walks, but different strokes and all that. :)

Monique April 21, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I read on another of my favorite real estate blogs The Real Estalker that the Spelling McDermott clan has landed in Thousand Oaks Cal in a large house they are renting, it has a few photos who knows how long they will be there!

hookedonhouses April 21, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Thanks, Monique–you’re right! Just found the post about it here:

Cori April 21, 2012 at 9:16 pm

The article also mentioned that the “little house” has a single wide vintage trailer as a guest house. I imagine that would have been for Candy ;)

Erin April 23, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Darn, it’s too bad I didn’t see this post earlier. I was in LA last week and went to her book signing. I could have asked her then! we were able to have one on one time with her while she signed our books.

Erin

hookedonhouses April 23, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Bummer! Next time you’re going to see her, let me know and I’ll send a list of questions with you, Erin! Ha. :)

I’d love to go to one of her book signings. How fun!

Maria April 24, 2012 at 1:41 am

What’s with the low end appliances?

Rhoniland April 25, 2012 at 1:15 pm
hookedonhouses April 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Thanks for the link!

Nita December 31, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Anyone know where they went?

hookedonhouses December 31, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Last I heard they were renting a bigger place in Thousand Oaks. Not sure if they’ve moved on yet or not, though.

Callie Broussard-Wheeler January 20, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I love thes stories you have done on the houses. I love the homes and cannot wait to see the next one. However with four children and all the pets I cannot imagine something smaller that 5000 sq feet my home is a ranch and is 5k and it is full and I have one husband and one husky. It is a house built to entertain. I grew up in a home much larger and this and the acre feels like I am being eaten alive without space. I just installed antique floors that are reclaimed wood. We searched forever for the walls that are antique poplar not for everyone but I love it then we dosed it in silk and really upscale furnishings. My office is the only room that is three sided glass use to be a porch I think with one brick wall and I love working in there all day. I cannot tell you how much this blog has led me to find the things I love. I started with the home in Father of the Bride and moved right on thru to Camerons place in the Holiday. Time and clutter changes you. I love what you do keep on working it. Hugs Callie

hookedonhouses January 20, 2013 at 9:40 pm