George Washington Slept Here: An 18th Century Plantation House For Sale in Virginia

by hookedonhouses on April 15, 2012

Ever wanted to own a piece of history? Here’s your chance! The historic 18th-century Bel Air estate in Woodbridge, Virginia, will be auctioned on April 18. It was built in 1740 on the site of a former frontier fort and has been beautifully preserved over the years.

It was home to George Washington’s first biographer, Parson Weems, who made the cherry tree story famous. George and Martha Washington actually slept here during their honeymoon on their way to Mount Vernon, and Thomas Jefferson was once a guest, too. Take a look!

Restoration of the house began in 1949, and it was further updated in the 1990’s with modern plumbing and electrical systems.

The sense of history has been preserved in the house over the years. It probably didn’t look drastically different when the Washingtons were guests here.

The house has 5 bedrooms and 3 baths.

Bel Air is set on 25 private acres and has been recognized by the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission.

It’s also included in the U.S. Department of Interior’s National Register of Historic Places.

Want it? The auction takes place on April 18. For more photos, floorplans, and information, go to Preservation Directory and Mouse on House. The contents of the property will be auctioned online at eBidLocal. Thanks to Elizabeth for telling me about it!

Hooked on Historic Houses?

Karena April 15, 2012 at 8:46 am

The brick floors and grey paint are wonderful. Love the library!

I have a $100 Gift Card Giveaway from Soft Surroundings if you would like to enter!!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

W H Stoneman April 15, 2012 at 9:31 am

What a beautiful home! Thanks for sharing.

Jane April 15, 2012 at 9:34 am

It’s beautiful! I think I could move right in!

Parnassus April 15, 2012 at 9:39 am

This is one of the most pleasant historic houses I have seen. Just the right size, a good amount of land, and so many architectural features–I especially love those halls. My only cavil is that it is perhaps a bit over-restored for my taste. I am sure that they will get a generous price for this.
–Road to Parnassus

Sarah @ housecrazy April 15, 2012 at 10:20 am

What an amazing house! It’s too bad the contents will be auctioned off seperately! The furnishing fit so well in the house, they should go WITH the house!

Patience April 15, 2012 at 10:44 am

Those are some impressive boxwoods as well. I love the English basement, and I wonder what the lower level looks like.

Kaitlin April 15, 2012 at 11:02 am

Absolutely beautiful. I hope it is auctioned to someone who appreciates it.

chris April 15, 2012 at 11:42 am

gorgeous

betterOutdoorLivingatHome April 15, 2012 at 11:52 am

Wow, over 270 years old! They sure knew how to build houses back then! It’s beautiful in every detail.

Janice Mahon April 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I have lived in the Washington, D.C. area for over 40 years and have toured almost all of the historic homes. This beautiful home is just spot on, paint colors original to the period, furnishings true to the age of the house. Hopefully, the new owners won’t change anything. This house is a treasure.

Megan April 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm

This home is beautiful! I don’t think I would want to live in a house like this, if onlybecause youmight get looky loos!

Wrt to the historic home notification – I think homeowners are restrictedin the amount of renovations they can do to a home on the list. Here is a neat article on the subject: http://www.bobvila.com/articles/318-buying-a-historic-home/pages/1

hookedonhouses April 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Great article–thanks, Megan!

Luciane at Homebunch.com April 15, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Charm! Loads of it! :-)

I love the chandelier and the foyer, although it seems to be a too large for its place, but.. still beautiful!

Wishing a very blessed week!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Alex (@OldTownHome) April 15, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Why that’s right down the street from me. May need to check it out in person. What an awesome place. It’s my dream to own a largely historically intact 17th or 18th century home.

Kim April 15, 2012 at 10:58 pm

What a beautifully preserved home. Looks like time stood still.

As much as I love historical homes, I would be afraid to live one worried that I would damage something. I would love to stay in one though.

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries April 15, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I don’t think I could live here but I loved looking through the photos. They really did a beautiful job keeping it with the period, didn’t they?!

Carol Cook April 16, 2012 at 1:36 am

Have you ever done a post on the wonderful beach house from The World According To Garp?

hookedonhouses April 16, 2012 at 6:54 am

I haven’t. You can see all the movies I have covered here: http://hookedonhouses.net/houses-onscreen/

Nadege April 16, 2012 at 6:49 am

Beautiful house, but I would have liked to see the kitchen.

hookedonhouses April 16, 2012 at 6:53 am

Me, too!

Alex (@OldTownHome) April 22, 2012 at 6:44 pm

You can see a photo of the very modest kitchen on the listing page. Can’t tell if this is the actual price or starting price for the auction. If it’s actual price, it’s a steal. :-)

hookedonhouses April 22, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I hadn’t seen the listing on that site with those extra photos. Thanks, Alex!

Heather H April 16, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Wow, I live here in Woodbridge and had no idea this house existed. It looks divine, wish I had the spare cash to buy it!

Karen April 17, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Lovely. I love the library and the use of grey looks beautiful in this home. I also hope that the next owner will appreciate it. I went to the site and looked at some of the other properties being auctioned due to bankruptcies. Thank you for posting this.

George Washington Inn April 22, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Love the pictures of Parson Weem’s house that is still being maintained today. We hope the new owners will continue on with the same stewardship. We can’t say that George slept here at his namesake inn, but feel he would if he were alive today!

Mike Woods from Indianapolis April 23, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Wow, nearly 300 years old and still standing! Talk about workmanship!

anna m. godfrey October 12, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I am amazed at the serinity & beauty of this plantaiton home today. It has been very well maintained / restored. I (Anna Mae Stanley-Godfrey) was actually born in this home in 1939 to the parents of Woodrow Wilson and Viola Rebecca Stanley. My cousin, Edwin Bland was also born in this home in 1933.

hookedonhouses October 14, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Really? Wow! How amazing to have been a part of a house and a family with so much American history. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!