Decorator Suzanne Kasler’s Regency-Style House in Atlanta

by hookedonhouses on April 4, 2012

Interior decorator Suzanne Kasler opened the doors to her beautiful home in Atlanta for this month’s issue of Architectural Digest. It’s a Federal-style house built in the 1930s, but she added the limestone portico and cream-colored paint on the exterior to give it the appearance of a Regency-era mansion in England. Take a look!

Kasler has a a signature line of home furnishings and accessories sold through Ballard Designs, and you can definitely see the influences on it throughout her house.

She designed these kitchen barstools (and the coffee table above) for Hickory Chair:

There’s an antique Swedish pine table with Regency chairs in the kitchen’s dining area, which kinda reminds me of the kitchen and dining area in It’s Complicated–windows and all (you can see photos from the movie here):

The master bedroom is neutral and serene:

Like it? Check out the April issue of Architectural Digest to read the story by Jen Renzi and Howard Christian and to see the rest of the photos by Pieter Estersohn.

More Designers at Home:

Luciane at Homebunch.com April 4, 2012 at 7:17 am

I simply love Suzanne’s style and her home is just the way I love! Her kitchen is dreamy! It’s all white but not boring at all.

Stunning, Julia! Thank you for sharing it.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

PS: Julia, if you have a minute, please drop by to participate on my Giveaway. :-)

sue {laundry for six} April 4, 2012 at 7:40 am

At first, I thought those were pictures from Ballard Designs! I love her style. Gorgeous!

missy April 4, 2012 at 7:41 am

I’ll have to pick up this issue of AD. I actually dropped my subscription because I wasn’t seeing a lot of ‘real life’ designing. Now I may have to reconsider.

I have the privilege of living near Blackberry Farm in the foothills of Tennessee. Her work there is incredible!! Look it up if you haven’t checked it out yet.

Laura April 4, 2012 at 8:13 am

I do love it! It is just the right mix of updated traditional.

I’ll have to check out more.

Thanks,
Laura

missy April 4, 2012 at 8:14 am
hookedonhouses April 4, 2012 at 8:24 am

Gorgeous! Thanks, Missy.

Cheryl Stoy April 4, 2012 at 8:27 am

I love the house…however….I’m kinda surprised at the interior design of such a stately home by a named designer…Not ugly mind you, but boring and uncreative. Whoever mentioned it looking like ad for Ballards is right…for me it had the feel of “nice things purchased but not really designed to fit together”. And then seeing she designs for Ballards kinda told me why I got that feeling. The place does not give a real feel of the “personal touch”. Not one “Oh Wow!” escaped my lips.

It’s pretty but uninspiring.

Sarah @ housecrazy April 4, 2012 at 9:00 am

Very soothing colors… not somewhere that I would get excited, but somewhere that I would go to feel calm and peaceful! Is that a map on the living room wall? Gorgeous!

Karena April 4, 2012 at 9:01 am

Love her style, the home is gorgeous, a bit too monochromatic for me. Adore her designs in furniture…

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Molly @thewaffler April 4, 2012 at 9:23 am

So neutral — but not too boring for me, just very calming.

Sue April 4, 2012 at 9:33 am

Ballard Design catalog is my decorating bible! Love the look – thanks for sharing the designer’s home with us.

Lisa April 4, 2012 at 9:56 am

Boring beige.

emily April 4, 2012 at 9:59 am

I agree that these look like pictures from an advertising spread. Neutal decor has a wide appeal; most people would feel comfortable in a space like this. The bedroom looks quite restful and welcoming. The overall feel of the house is bright and spacious, though I would prefer some pattern here and there, a bit more color, bolder art…

Mary K April 4, 2012 at 10:22 am

I agree…very boring. Inside and out. There is such a thing as too much of one color.

Megan April 4, 2012 at 11:28 am

I love Suzanne Kasler! I just recently met her at one of her book signing events in Minneapolis!
I was a little sad to see the negative comments above but I can understand why they wern’t very impressed. But I think the photos shown in Architectural Digest were poorly chosen because she showed us other photos of her home and I was soo inspired! Her foyer and living room is absolutely gorgeous!
Also I just thought I’d mention that I would consider Suzanne an interior designer and NOT an interior decorator. As an interior designer myself, I think that she could be somewhat offended by this title. Just as any doctor would be offended by someone mistaking them as a nurse.
Please note though that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a decorator or a nurse but it is important recognize people’s correct titles.

hookedonhouses April 4, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I have to say I was surprised that she’s considered a “decorator” and not a “designer,” as you mentioned, Megan. For anyone who’s interested in the difference, here’s how it’s explained by the NCIDQ (http://www.ncidq.org/AboutUs/AboutInteriorDesign/DifferencesBetweenInteriorDesignDecorating.aspx):

Many U.S. states and Canadian provinces have passed laws requiring interior designers to be licensed or registered—documenting their formal education and training—and many of them specifically require that all practicing interior designers earn the NCIDQ Certificate to demonstrate their experience and qualifications. By contrast, interior decorators require no formal training or licensure.

etta April 4, 2012 at 11:30 am

Oh my… this home is a dream!! I love it !!
Happy Easter darling!
ETta

Megan April 4, 2012 at 11:33 am

P.S Julia, I thought I’d also mention how much I love your blog!!! I came across it a few weeks ago and ever since, have been completely addicted to it! I had no idea that there was someone else out there that had my same obsession! I am totally hooked on houses!!!

snaggy April 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

Its very nice …but very dull needs a bit of colour !

HollyM April 4, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I like the neutral palette (that is not white or ivory or beige or greige!) and the textures in each room. BUT, it appears indiscernable in decorating style from a Pottery Barn catalog. Not that I think that is necessarily a bad thing . . . in teensy doses. I could almost move right in here, although the ubiquitous sunburst clock/mirror/whatever would have to go. That’s a trend that has seen its day and stayed too long at the ball, to use a couple of cliches in emphasis of its own cliche-ness.

She must simply be on overload with color, prints, and quirky accessories used in decorating other homes; this is more ordinarily ordinary than any other designer’s home I’ve seen.

Jessica April 5, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I may be in the minority, but I have never cared for those sunburst mirrors. Ha

HollyM April 4, 2012 at 12:49 pm

OHHHHHH! I need to read better! I kinda thought it looked a wee bit TOO Ballard Designs! Well, there you go.

Yup. They have a certain style. And this is it. (Although there seems to be a lack of black and wicker and metal and grass green.)

Mindi April 4, 2012 at 2:16 pm

It does look very calming but also very boring. In the first photo absolutly everything is the exact same color. I’m thinking she must have a very stressful life and need a very calming (yawn…) place to relax in. In which case I’m sure it works for her. Just not for me. Thanks for sharing anyways!

Kim April 4, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Very pretty house! Suzanne did a nice job designing her home.

Hoyt Clagwell April 4, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Wow. That all just looks really dated. At best it looks like last year’s Restoration Hardware catalog. At worst it looks like something from a four year old issue of Elle Decor.

Amanda @ Serenity Now April 4, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Very nice! You’re right…I can see that how she influences BD with her designs. I like to see more color, but it is a beautiful home! :)

E. George April 5, 2012 at 1:57 am

Hi Julia must say I love this lady’s style. I used to buy AD when I worked in the city many moons ago now its very hard to find in the burbs. Anyway would be nice if she added a splash of colour – more flowers please. It is a beautiful home thank you for sharing. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Dina April 5, 2012 at 5:02 am

The furnishings look a bit dated and staged to me, but the house is a classic. I especially love the casement window in the dining room.

Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet April 5, 2012 at 11:27 am

Lovely. I’m desperate for a house with that kind of natural light. Sigh…

Megan April 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm

The thing I noticed is that she has white window frames on the front of the house and bronze on the back. I’ll have to show my husband. He insists that they all must match. I guess not.

Jane April 5, 2012 at 12:56 pm

My favorite house so far, looks so and inviting without the over decorated look of some homes. At first the neutral palette gave me pause but there are not only a variety of textures and wood tones but those who want pops of color could take the basic decorating scheme and make it their own, even changing wall colors. Bravo to Kasler!

Holly @ truebluedecor.com April 5, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Her house is beautiful! Julia – your blog is so much fun to read. Keep up the good work!

Lisa April 5, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Beautiful! Considering it’s now the season to begin moving our lives outdoors, I was especially intrigued by the simple and elegant hedges and bushes in the front. Why is it that on some houses (like this one) it seems to be just enough and on other houses without any color things just look “blah?”

Karen April 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I thought the interior reminiscent of Ballad Designs and now I know why. It is however a calming mix of neutrals. I love what looks like a map in the first photo of the living room. Nice!

{ 2 trackbacks }