Charming Children’s Rooms in an English Country House

by hookedonhouses on March 20, 2012

This Edwardian country house in West Sussex is beautiful–and it’s “a 5-minute walk to the sea”–but I was especially taken by the sweet spaces for children there are in it. It’s nice to see such a grand house looking so child friendly. There’s a pretty little playhouse in the garden, too. Take a look!

I’m totally swooning over this fireplace with the built-in mirror and shelves:

I would have loved to have had a fireplace like this in my bedroom growing up. Actually, I’d like one now!

My daughter has a similar heart hanging from the doorknob to her room (wish we had a door with this much character to go with it!):

A boy’s room:

I love how all the kids’ rooms have fireplaces in them. This one even looks child-sized:

The kids also have this adorable playroom to hang out in:

And a playhouse in the garden:

Charmed? You can see more photos of the children’s rooms–and the rest of the house–on jj Locations, which features houses that you can use for photo shoots and movies, etc.

More Posts About Kids’ Rooms:

Mrs Sutton March 20, 2012 at 7:37 am

That is gorgeous. I’m searching for inspiration for my twin girls bedroom – so thank you for the timely images. Love your blog – just settling down for a longer read now!

Laura March 20, 2012 at 7:50 am

Gorgeous house! It’s nice to see non-cutesy children’s rooms. I’m coveting that mantle/fireplace too.

Laura March 20, 2012 at 8:01 am

Okay I just looked at the listing. An Aga in the kitchen! I want this house, fully furnished!! I wish they showed some exterior pictures…

hookedonhouses March 20, 2012 at 8:06 am

Me, too!

Lauren March 20, 2012 at 8:19 am

Thanks for sharing this find with us. I love, love, love the interiors and the spaces for children are just charming. It reminds me of the nursery in the film Hook — not the best movie, but wonderful interiors!

Barbara March 20, 2012 at 8:58 am

Lovely post!!! The fireplaces are perfection.

Julia, I just wanted to thank you for your post on the Hot in Cleveland house, which was so enjoyable! I’m still catching up on previous seasons, and I love the changes that were made in Season 2. Inspiration! Thank so much again!!

Barbara

Molly @thewaffler March 20, 2012 at 9:21 am

My favorite elements is definitely the white fireplace with the hint of bright green tile. Lovely.

Sarah @ housecrazy March 20, 2012 at 9:38 am

Adorable children’s rooms! I wonder though, how the mum keeps them so tidy and perfect? If my kids had rooms like those, eveything would be smashed and gouged and footprints up the walls! :)

Anne C. March 20, 2012 at 9:52 am

omg- adorable!! Those fireplaces are to die for!!!

Anne C. March 20, 2012 at 9:53 am

And, I love how they mixed woods and fabrics- nothing is “matchy matchy”

Michele March 20, 2012 at 10:29 am

Dreamy….

Picky Girl March 20, 2012 at 11:55 am

Wah! I wanna live in an English Country House.

The “princess canopy” with the multi-colored flag accents is from IKEA, if anyone is looking for it. :)

Anne C. March 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm

thank you for posting!! I will be looking for it very soon!

Ruth McArthur March 20, 2012 at 11:55 am

These pictures made me think of the children’s rooms in the movie “Atonement”. So wonderful to see modern children still enjoying such charms. I myself was lucky to have had such a bedroom. But on this side of the Atlantic in a Victorian building in New York. A fireplace with an inset mirror. A set of white children’s furniture handed down from my great grandmother. I did feel like Wendy (but Peter Pan never did show up). Thanks for the memories Julia.

Karen March 20, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I love these rooms. We have our first grandchild now and I want to convert the study to a child’s room…Olivia needs a room of her own when she visits. This post gives me lots of visual inspiration and ideas.
Thanks,
Karen

Jane March 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm

There were fireplaces in two of the bedrooms of my house — which previous owners had taken out. I just realized how much is missing from the rooms now!

Carolyn March 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Gorgeous! Gosh, how many kids do they have?! Can I be one of them?

Mrs. Pear Tree March 20, 2012 at 3:52 pm

So does someone actually live in this perfectly charming house? Or is it strictly for show, for photo shoots or movie locations? Either way, I adore it!

hookedonhouses March 20, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I imagine that many of the houses listed on the site are actually lived in (not standing empty when they’re not being rented for photo shoots). But it doesn’t give any specific information like that about them individually, so I don’t know.

mere March 21, 2012 at 10:45 pm

i say it’s real just because of woody from toy story being on the boy’s bed. seeing woody made it feel less staged.

Kim March 20, 2012 at 5:19 pm

What cute bedrooms. If only I had a bedroom like any of those girl ones when I was a kid.

Brandy March 20, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I love kids rooms like these, ones that don’t immediately scream “only a five year old would ever dream of living here”. That’s what I will shoot for when I have kids, I mean, kids can have attractive rooms, too, right?

E. George March 21, 2012 at 5:41 am

Hi Julia what can I say but how lovely and thank you for this wonderful post and I want one of those….. We do get a few housing in Britain shows and all my family can hear is Wow I Want That One. The fireplace is stunning. I love the decor of the childrens rooms. Till next time Regards Esther from Sydney.

Mary March 21, 2012 at 5:47 am

I grew up in Sussex and this just so typical and perfect!
Mary x

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... March 21, 2012 at 9:08 am

I love the vintage linens and toys.

Becky March 21, 2012 at 11:50 am

You know what drew me into this post? I mean, besides the word “English;” I am inexorably drawn to British houses! It was the WEEDS around the little sunroom in the first picture. The British just do IMPERFECT so very, very well. Worn, faded, old, even shredded. It all works. Those kids rooms are wonderful. I am hooked on British houses … I have a collection of British Country Homes and Interiors and British Country Living Magazines … should start a recovery group….

CherylK March 21, 2012 at 9:11 pm

This is such a beautiful, down-to-earth, charming home. I imagine that it’s family is a happy family.

Wendy March 22, 2012 at 12:06 am

Swoon. I’ll dream of that house tonight. May be my favorite house that you’ve featured, ever.

Rachel Carey March 23, 2012 at 8:40 am

I never did like kids, lol. they have all the fun! I want this for myself!!!! And the mantle…swoon

{ 1 trackback }