Funny Real Estate Photo of the Day: There Are Legs in the Tub But Nobody’s Home

by hookedonhouses on January 3, 2012

A reader sent me an email with a link to the listing for the new house she’s buying in Colorado. She writes, “In a statement I never thought I’d never need to type: The legs are no longer in the tub.” Huh? I wasn’t sure what that meant.

When I looked at the photos, this one of a mannequin wearing nothing but a tie in the living room made me do a double-take. But then I got to the bathroom and saw this:

Yikes. File this one under “Bizarre and Questionable Home Staging.” (As my daughter said when she saw this: “Why?“) The house itself has some great features that don’t involve mannequins or body parts, though. You can see the rest of it here.

Visit My Funny Real Estate Photos Page To See More!

Molly January 3, 2012 at 8:44 am

Legs or no, that is one FANTASTIC house. Congrats to your reader who’s buying it!

Janet January 3, 2012 at 8:56 am

My house is going on the market tomorrow and I have tried oh so hard to make sure it doesn’t end up on one of your Bad MLS photos pages :) The pics have been well received on fb so here’s hoping……

hookedonhouses January 3, 2012 at 9:02 am

Knowing you, Janet, there’s no chance of that! I’m sure your house looks beautiful. Best of luck with the sale! :-)

ClassiclyAmber January 3, 2012 at 9:08 am

Whaaaat? This is craziness! Seriously – what is rolling through someone’s mind to think “Hmm…now THIS will be a good idea!!” [Cute casa, though.]

Kelly @ JAX does design January 3, 2012 at 9:10 am

Maybe it’s just me, but naked mannequins and dismembered body parts in the tub really don’t scream “Buy this house!” to me ;-) Although I think I could overlook the staying faux pas in this case :-)

Happy 2012 Julia!

Holley January 3, 2012 at 9:27 am

I’m sighing over the wall of pottery ( note it is the photo without body parts).

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating January 3, 2012 at 9:29 am

That picture has body parts, too. She’s sitting just to the right of the piano. :-D Creepy.

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating January 3, 2012 at 9:27 am

That is the most bizarre thing! What would possess a person to stage a home like that?! I can’t imagine anyone actually thinking that looks good, or that it makes the house look more homey.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... January 3, 2012 at 9:55 am

OMG that is too weird. LOL

Luciane at Homebunch.com January 3, 2012 at 10:01 am

SO weird!!!!!!! Someone needs some therapy! lol

xo

Lucianeat HomeBunch.com

Michele January 3, 2012 at 10:09 am

Legs aside, this house is gorgeous. I love the pottery wall, the windows, the IL apt! Congrats new owner!

Bridget January 3, 2012 at 10:37 am

Just curious. … Did the buyer ask why the manniquin was used?

Joan January 3, 2012 at 10:51 am

Gorgeous house (despite the freaky mannequins)! Lucky, lucky reader who gets to live in that house!!

micky January 3, 2012 at 11:12 am

Have the same question as Bridget, did the buyer ask why they did it? Is real estate kind of like the entertainment biz, bad publicity is better than none :-)

hookedonhouses January 3, 2012 at 11:26 am

She didn’t mention it to me, but maybe she’ll stop by and fill us in! :)

Lindsay von January 3, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Thanks for all the kind words about the house!

We did not ask about the mannequins in the staging, we just sort of assumed given the owner’s background (theatre and arts) that it was there flair for the dramatic that made it make sense to them. Fortunatley my husband and I are a little quirky, we were amused more then anything else. Plus by the time we viewed it everything but the piano had been moved out of the house.

Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet January 3, 2012 at 11:58 am

That’s hilarious and frightening all at the same time!

Nicole Mulvany January 3, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I love this house though (legs and all.) It reminds me of the house in the movie “A Summer Place” I think with the way the stone on the walls and the stair case going down.

Jenny January 3, 2012 at 12:54 pm

What the heck? That is crazy!

Amanda @ Serenity Now January 3, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Why, oh why??? I mean, don’t get me wrong…this is great blog fodder. But I feel badly for the homeowners who allowed their Realtor to publish those photos!

Vicki January 3, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Ha! Thanks for the laugh. =D

Kim January 3, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Ha ha, very strange. I often wonder if homeowners like these don’t know how to stage their house. If they do, then they are taking big risks.

Louisville Ky Homes for Sale January 3, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Well, I needed that laugh today. Very strange though and I think would deter some buyers from looking. It is a beautiful home (besides the “leg” staging)

Brenda January 3, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Very quirky decorating, but great to know there are buyers out there who can see the “bones” of the house. Love it and what a view!

Laura Casey January 3, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Oh that is funny! Takes a keen eye to notice those legs…. Wonder who thought of that? All the best for 2012,
Laura

nanne January 3, 2012 at 7:05 pm

this puts a whole new meaning to the phrase “this story has legs..” that i learned in journalism class…..

Rich January 3, 2012 at 9:10 pm

That is hilarious! I’ve seen a lot of interesting photos posted for listings but I can honestly say I’ve never seen legs in a tub.

The Little Red Shop January 4, 2012 at 2:45 am

Here is what I am thinking…Pretty Woman. Remember…the scene where Richard Gere returns and she is just wearing his tie! There is also an infamous tub scene. Yep. Weird.

Happy New Year!

: )

Julie M.

Beverly from Montreal January 4, 2012 at 6:42 am

The new owner said that the previous owner has a theater & arts background so your suggestion sounds very plausible, Julie.

Brigid January 4, 2012 at 9:00 am

Hmmm…..a little too much mannequin mania for me :)

Cathy January 4, 2012 at 9:47 am

And someone paid to have it staged????? That is very different.
We live in very small town Ontario and I don’t think , well I know that it would not go over well. Thank you for including it in your blog. It gave me my morning chuckle.

ShabbyChick January 4, 2012 at 4:01 pm

EWWW on the mannequin. And what is with that 2nd kitchen in the listing photos? Wasn’t the main kitchen big enough??? The overall vibe of the house was cool enough and reminded me of the VERY COOL house in “When a Stranger Calls” (remake), but the homeowner’s tastes are very strange (ie: master bedroom “canopy-thingy”????)
Bizarre. Just bizarre.

Lindsay von January 5, 2012 at 1:05 pm

The additional kitchen is part of the mother in law suite. As we are mulitgenerational househould, it allows for us to have our own space while still sharing a home :)

Rebecca January 20, 2012 at 6:00 pm

i just wrote a post about how much i love this page. my daughters and i spent almost an hour eating popcorn and laughing at these images. thank you for collecting them. your work is inspiring.

Kathryn Griffin January 31, 2012 at 12:54 am

Wow, that is crazy! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Marie R February 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm

That has to be a Frank Lloyd Wright house.

kate August 1, 2012 at 9:59 am

That bathroom has lots worse going on than the legs in the hot tub! Man, could they jam anymore ART? on their walls?

{ 1 trackback }