The Top 10 “Before and Afters” of 2011

by hookedonhouses on December 27, 2011

These 10 makeovers were the most popular with my readers this year–click the “before” photos below to see the “afters!”

#1. An Old Bungalow Gets Its Charm Back

#2. A Dark Living Room Gets a Fresh Coastal Vibe

#3. A Beach House Kitchen Goes Classic Casual

#4. The Inn from “Nights in Rodanthe:” Rescued and Renovated

#5. Big Changes in a Small Cottage Kitchen

#6. Turning a Plain-Jane House Into a Craftsman-Style Cottage

#7. A Dated Kitchen Gets a New Look

#8. Nate Berkus Updates Billy Joel’s Beach House

#9. My Personal Fave, Because I Get to Enjoy It: My Sunroom!

#10. Bee Cottage: A Room-by-Room Remodel

What was your favorite before and after of the year?

Kate December 27, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Do you know the movie “Chapter Two” with James Caan and Marsha Mason? That was my all-time favorite brownstone in NYC! Have you ever showcased that home? I’d love to see it up close and personal! (By the way, I LOVE your blog — one home is better than the next! What eye candy you provide for all of us! Thank you!)

hookedonhouses December 28, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I’m not familiar with that one. I’ll have to look for it–thanks, Kate!

Amanda @ Serenity Now December 28, 2011 at 8:40 am

I have to pick just one favorite from your list?? Impossible. ;) But I did like Billy Joel’s place. :)

Maddie December 29, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Looking at Bee Cottage again has inspired me! I have a wonderful little old cottage and did a lot of work that ended about 2 years ago when I ran out of money and energy. But there are so many ideas that just involve sewing, paint and seagrass. My New Year’s resolution is to redo my kitchen and guest room/sewing room on the cheap!

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) December 29, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Love your sun room, Julia! Also, loved adorable Bee Cottage…who could resist a cute cottage with a cute name. Happy New Year, Julia! 2012 is going to be a fabulous year!

Stage It Up January 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Love blogs that display the before & after! It provides so many wonderful ideas for staging. Appreciate the time and effort it takes.

Leah Koenig January 6, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Hi Julia!
We are contemplating buying a 1960′s style ranch home but it needs a facelift because it looks like a 1960′s style ranch, a little rectangle box with no personality. In all your searches have you ever come across an overhaul of a home like this? I’d love to know if you have! Thanks!

Joyce Michelin January 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Dunno if this is quite the stuff of your blog, but I’m thinkin’ it might be a nice cautionary tale for those do-overs being contemplated…

hookedonhouses January 22, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Yikes! Not what I’d hope to find during a renovation, that’s for sure!

{ 1 trackback }