Decorating My Dining Room for Christmas

by hookedonhouses on December 14, 2011

Come on in! Last Friday I showed you my family room, where we go all out with the red and white for Christmas. Today I thought I’d show you my dining room, where I went with lots of white, silver, and gold. I actually had red and white in here a couple of Christmases ago, too, but it just didn’t look right with the furniture and colors. I changed it to this last year and loved it.

I had never had a white tree before we got this one, but I always wanted one. They remind me of childhood Christmases at my Grandma Leota’s house. She always had a white tree in her front window.

The thing I love about white trees is how they kind of glow at night when the lights are on.

I have a thing for mercury glass. Can’t get enough of the stuff.

I had fun playing around with the table settings. I’m not much of a cook, but don’t worry–if you come over for dinner, I won’t really serve you pine cones to eat. Ha.

It’s a small room–about 10′ x 12′–because it was originally a sitting room that no one ever really sat in. Over the last few years we put in hardwood floors, the chair rail and crown molding, and a chandelier to turn it into a dining room.

It will never be fancy or formal (the table and chairs are from IKEA, the rug is from Overstock.com, and the window treatments are West Elm), but it’s a cozy spot that I love to linger in. This is where we play family games on Friday nights because the table is just the right size–not too big, not too small!

Visit My House to see more of it, including…

Christmas-in-my-Sunroom-Hooked-on-HousesMy Sunroom

Judy December 14, 2011 at 8:17 am

Absolutely beautiful! Love the mercury glass, the soft glowing light and the white tree :) I really like the color of your buffet/dresser. I’m getting up the courage to possibly paint my inherited set from my Grandparents, (if my Mom doesn’t kill me). Did you paint that, if so do you mind sharing the color? ~ Judy

hookedonhouses December 14, 2011 at 8:22 am

I bought it that way from Arhaus, so I’m afraid I don’t know the paint color they used. I love it, though! :-)

melissa December 14, 2011 at 8:22 am

So magical! Love it!

Julie December 14, 2011 at 8:23 am

Beautiful! Love all the gold with the blue buffet.

Liz@VioletPosy December 14, 2011 at 8:23 am

Julia, that is such a beautiful room. Warm, inviting and you have mercury glass! Just stunning x

Sally December 14, 2011 at 8:33 am

Beautiful, Julia! (You know I’m always jealous of your mercury glass!) Yesterday I saw some at Penneys that was gorgeous…might check the after-Christmas sales!!! =) Merry Christmas, Friend! ~Sally

Sherry Ellis December 14, 2011 at 8:34 am

That’s just beautiful! Excellent job!

Irma Navarro-Hankins December 14, 2011 at 8:37 am

WOW! It looks like a magazine spread. I am so crushing on your sideboard!

Eileen December 14, 2011 at 8:37 am

It’s beautiful! I LOVE mercury glass too. The color palet is so warm and inviting….gorgeous.

Linda@Restyled Home December 14, 2011 at 8:40 am

Gorgeous! So elegant but not stuffy…not always easy to pull off! I especially love your aqua sideboard/dresser. :-)

Teresa December 14, 2011 at 8:41 am

Julia that is beautiful! I love all the silver and gold, it absolutely sparkles!

Michelle Thomas December 14, 2011 at 8:57 am

Those are the dining chairs I want!! No Lie!! I absolutly love it!! It is stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly @ JAX does design December 14, 2011 at 9:08 am

Beautiful! The gold colour scheme is perfect – your dining room is so soft & warm & elegant :-) And love your white tree – I put up a white tree in our dining room too, and I agree, the glow from the lights is just gorgeous :-)

sue {laundry for six} December 14, 2011 at 9:09 am

Beautiful! I love the table and chairs! I may have to swing by IKEA this week!

Lisa Smith December 14, 2011 at 9:18 am

Hi Julia!
Your dining room is beautiful! As everyone has said, so very warm and inviting. Everything shimmers….just magical!!!

Elizabeth December 14, 2011 at 9:19 am

wow! so lovely!!

shelia December 14, 2011 at 9:24 am

Hi Julia! Oh, your dining room is simply gorgeous! I love your white tree and how those snowflakes pop out! The color on your buffet is so pretty too and the way you’ve decorated the top – simple but so elegant! Your table setting is beautiful! Heck, I love everything in here! ;) Merry Christmas!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Amy December 14, 2011 at 9:32 am

This is absolutely lovely! The whole room glows and just looks so warm. I decorate in golds, silvers, and bronzes, so this is right up my alley. Love it!

ddLynn December 14, 2011 at 9:51 am

Absolutlely perfect! I may have to consider getting a white tree. Oh, and mercury glass…I adore it!!!!! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Christina December 14, 2011 at 9:55 am

It looks so elegant! Breathtaking! I would like to have my dining room similar for next year. A break from the traditonal red and green. Still Christmasy but elegant.

Jean @ Flower Hill December 14, 2011 at 10:24 am

Your dining room is beautiful! I can’t get enough of mercury glass either!

Janelle December 14, 2011 at 10:33 am

Looks wonderful Julia! So elegant! I just LOVE your style! I feel the same way you do about mercury glass, just with milk glass:) Thanks for the inspiration and Merry Christmas to you and your family!:)

hookedonhouses December 14, 2011 at 10:41 am

I love milk glass, too. It’ll come back out in January! :)

Jamie@WrightHouseAffairs.com December 14, 2011 at 10:46 am

Looks beautiful!! Lucky for you, mercury glass is EVERYwhere this year!! I broke down and bought a few pieces this year as well- too pretty not to :)

hookedonhouses December 14, 2011 at 10:52 am

I know! It’s so tempting to buy more when I see it in stores, but I have more than enough. When I got mine it was still harder to come by. Now I see it all over the place!

Jalon December 14, 2011 at 10:50 am

Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing… everything you’ve done just fills the rooms with love.
Don’t you just love the fun of changing the decor at Christmas? It’s like starting new or moving without the actual hassle of the move – as well as an early Christmas morn – unwrapping all the decorations to see what you have forgot about over the past year.
Love it! Thank you again!

Karena December 14, 2011 at 10:57 am

Julia I adore your Holiday Table!! It is so gorgeous!! The mercury glass is something I have just started getting into it!! Yours are so unique!

Please come & Enter my 12 Days of Holiday Giveaways!! The latest is Art & more from Fifi Flowers!!
xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Christine December 14, 2011 at 11:06 am

Your window treatments caught my eye. And I love love love your glowing white tree! It’s all beautiful!

Sheila December 14, 2011 at 11:08 am

Who needs a sitting room?! A room where food is shared gets infinitely more use. You’ve done a marvelous job of giving the space the warmth of the holidays, and I would bet that your meals are more inspiring than you’re letting on. Pine cones, btw, are lovely decorator pieces. We have two stone urnlike containers on the front porch filled with cinnamon-scented cones (from Walmart of all places) that I bought 2 years ago. They still smell faintly of cinnamon, so I spray them with cinnamon room spray to liven them up. Fun stuff. Well done, Julia (again, still). :)

Nathalie December 14, 2011 at 11:19 am

Gorgeous space you’ve got there!

Lori-Anne December 14, 2011 at 11:42 am

Just beautiful, Julia! I love the warm, golden glow! I miss the seperate dining rooms old houses had. Now, with open floor plans, you don’t have that same intimacy. What a good idea, turning the little-used sitting room into a dining room. Glad to here it’s being used, now, too!!

Lori-Anne December 14, 2011 at 11:43 am

*hear

Pat December 14, 2011 at 11:43 am

It’s so beautiful, like a scene from a magazine! I love mercury glass too and have a hard time not buying it every time I see it. I’m on a Christmas snowflake kick now and I love yours! I find they really show up well, and are not expensive to buy, a perfect combo!
Is the tea ready?, I’ll be over with the cookies!

Anne B-P December 14, 2011 at 11:49 am

Beautiful! I wish I had the get-go to decorate like that!

Dora C December 14, 2011 at 11:56 am

Great room! What is the paint color of your walls?

hookedonhouses December 14, 2011 at 2:40 pm

It’s “Pecan” by Eddie Bauer.

Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet December 14, 2011 at 12:03 pm

So pretty and elegant. I love it!

Lou Cinda December 14, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Julia, it is beautiful!! LOVE the white tree! I am on the lookout for one hopefully on sale after Christmas. This is my kind of dining room….love it!

Lou Cinda

Alyssa December 14, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Julia LOVE your dinningroom !!!! I usually never like white trees ( unless they are flocked) but i love your tree =D . All the glass everything the room just glows :)

Kelly December 14, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I love the color of the walls….do you mind sharing the color and where you purchased it? It looks fab w/the white beadboard! I also like the plates on the table and the area rug…my eye goes from the walls to the plates right down to the beautiful carpet….great job!!!! I prefer all chairs to match but the end chairs blend in nicely.

hookedonhouses December 14, 2011 at 2:39 pm

It’s “Pecan” by Eddie Bauer. I bought the paint at Lowe’s. Glad you like it! :)

Kim December 14, 2011 at 1:52 pm

What a beautiful and elegant room. That tree is absolutely gorgeous. Turning that space into a dining room was a genius idea. I dream of having one someday.

Miss E December 14, 2011 at 2:15 pm

What a beautiful tree! If you are a Christian, might I recommend that in the future you integrate some Chrismons in your white tree decor? I didn’t really know about them until my mom started beading them herself, despite my church’s tree having always been decorated with them. I found a great website that explains the general idea and shows a few examples:

Merriest of Christmases to you and your family!

hookedonhouses December 14, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I’d never heard of a Chrismon. Interesting!

kasey December 14, 2011 at 2:27 pm

The room is absolutely beautiful; it inspires me to actually do something with at least my table. (my dining table is in my living room as I have a small apt & no room in the kitchen). The colors glow & I love how the silver,white,gold contrasts with that absolutely gorgeous buffet. I covet that buffet.

And how did I never notice mercury glass before? I’m in love. I feel like I should run out right this minute & find someplace to buy it.

Don Knispel December 14, 2011 at 3:34 pm

looks very pretty Julie (can I use the word pretty?), very inviting…looking forward to seeing you all!

Kelly Berg December 14, 2011 at 3:37 pm

beautiful!!! I adore that white tree. Nicely done, Julia. Thanks for the tour!

Neesha December 14, 2011 at 6:34 pm

WOW! I thought you were featuring a Christmas photo shoot for a magazine! This is so elegant, so beautiful and there’s an air of grace (I know that’s weird to say about a room, graceful!) about it. I could just sit in there and have dinner all night. You did a fantastic job! I love those little glass things on the table, the pine cones are whimsical and that tree! I’ve never wanted a white tree but you made me want one now. Beautiful just absolutely divine. great work!

hookedonhouses December 14, 2011 at 10:45 pm

You guys are all so sweet. Thanks! :)

Londen December 14, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Everywhere you look there is something beautiful! Your tree is so fun, I would love a white table top tree….have you ever seen one? I will be keeping my eye out after Christmas. Your drapes are gorgeous and I love how the pattern almost looks like falling snowflakes. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda @ Serenity Now December 14, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Julia!!!! Your dining room is stunning. My mouth just dropped open when I saw your pics. Everything seems to glow. I think you did a wonderful job decorating! No one will notice that the pinecones taste a little tough. ;) ;)

Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage December 14, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I desperately need a white tree! Love it! I have the same mercury glass trees – a Target 75% off after Christmas find! The whites and silvers look amazing.
Kelly

Alyssa December 14, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Julia I love your rug, where did you find it??? I’ve been on the lookout for the perfect area rug, can’t seem to find what i want.

hookedonhouses December 14, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Overstock.com. I got a great deal on it but it was earlier this year, so I’m not sure if they still have it.

shabbychick December 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Gorgeous! White…silver…gold…lots of sparkle reflected in the mercury glass…
what’s not to love? Merry Christmas, Julia!

Alyssa December 14, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Thought i posted this but maybe i didn’t push submit LOL!!! Julia I wanted to say I love your area rug =D Where did you get it?? I have been on a search for one but i can’t find what i like any advice as t where to look???

Alyssa December 14, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Nevermind this one i see where i asked you above sorry for posting 2 times :(

hookedonhouses December 14, 2011 at 10:44 pm

No problem!

Destiny December 15, 2011 at 12:36 am

Your dining room is lovely, lovely, and I covet your sideboard. (Covet is not a nice word, but it is the truth!) The color, the distressing, everything about it!

I too love mercury glass — just bought a piece at Anthropologie today!

And I also love the way my house looks at night. It’s my favorite time! I have a thing for accent lights, using them all year, and I love the soft glow they give off, not to mention that they are dust forgiving!

Leslie December 15, 2011 at 1:02 am

WOW!!!! It looks stunning!

Great job!

Merry Christmas!

Marie @ Sally Lee by the Sea December 15, 2011 at 1:12 am

Your dining room turned out so gorgeous, Julia! Your mercury glass is divine.

Happy Holiday Hugs,
Marie

Wendy December 15, 2011 at 1:15 am

That’s just magical. Wonderful space you’ve created. I’ll come for dinner anytime!

Annie@A View On Design December 15, 2011 at 1:30 am

I love that – so pretty!!!

very inviting!

Jodi from New Jersey December 15, 2011 at 10:19 am

So beautiful! You could feed me pine cones, I wouldn’t even notice in that gorgeous room. Enjoy the holidays with your sweet family….

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) December 15, 2011 at 11:09 am

Julia, Your dining room is gorgeous! I love all the sparkle. Your tree is enchanting…so beautiful to dine by. I know you guys are enjoying your holiday meals in this wonderful space. :)

Kathy :) December 15, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Oh Julia, it’s magical…..you did such a nice job and i so agree with you that room calls for those colors !!! GREAT job………..

Merry Christmas,
Kathy :)

Jodie December 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm

It’s gorgeous! I love all the golds. The white tree is so pretty!

Lindsey December 15, 2011 at 6:53 pm

This is so BEAUTIFUL! What a magical place.

Lorri December 15, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Julia,

The white, silver and gold are so pretty together! Everything looks so beautiful and elegant…but I think my favorite things are the reindeer and snowflakes.

I think it’s so clever that you turned an unused sitting room into such a lovely dining room. Happy holidays and thanks for all the wonderful ideas :)

classic • casual • home December 16, 2011 at 1:10 am

Your dining room looks heavenly. Love the mix of white and shiny silver.

Brenda December 16, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Thanks for the post, Julia. I love your dining room, truly a magical place. I am also jealous of your mercury glass, it really adds substance to the table. What are you serving for Christmas dinner? Happy holidays!

Jessica December 17, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Very lovely! I like white trees, too. :-)

Lana December 17, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Your white tree and dining room are FABULOUS!!!!!

I would come and play games in that room ANY time…

Even if you fed us pine cones.

;)

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/Hugs,
Lana

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... December 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm

So elegant and retro! Bravo!

Kristen @ Joyfullythriving December 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm

It looks lovely, Julia! It’s hard to believe that’s the same room where Jacob and I sat on the piano bench for his lessons! :-) You have such a great eye for decorating, and are full of inspiration! Thanks for letting us see all your beautiful Christmas decorations!

Robin December 20, 2011 at 11:47 am

Gorgeous. I love all the white and sparkle. It looks amazing.

cassie December 21, 2011 at 3:36 pm

wow, your dining room is so warm and beautiful! i would love to eat there!

Beth B. January 1, 2012 at 7:13 pm

New fan…just scrolling through and enjoying…your Dining Room looks fab!

Suzy January 20, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I just found your site! I love it! You say you are not a designer….I beg to differ! You are talented! Awesome job on your Christmas decor! Your blog is a “smile fest” ! Thank you. Love meeting a fellow house Fanatic!
Sincerely,
Suzy

Dorina June 12, 2012 at 3:42 pm

So beautiful Julia! It gives me a Winter Wonderland feeling!

cm October 15, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Love the colors! (I like your mirror too.)
Wish I could hire you to decorate my house for Christmas. Mom use to get so stressed out and overly busy during Christmas that I hate decorating now! I’ve given my husband christmas decorating duty and he’s NOT artistic!

Erakala November 25, 2012 at 8:58 am

Love the colors, set up, decor …..Love love love everything. I am going to get started as soon as possible. Thank you for the inspiration.

hookedonhouses November 25, 2012 at 9:14 am

Thanks! I’m decorating it again right now for this year! :-)

Myrna Coffey December 9, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Hi Julie,
Your blog is charming, it is wonderful to find someone who loves houses as much as I do. Thank you for sharing your passion for unique houses.

Myrna Coffey

hookedonhouses December 10, 2012 at 7:53 am

Thanks, Myrna! I appreciate that. :-)

{ 2 trackbacks }