Decorating My Dining Room for Christmas

Come on in! Last Friday I showed you my family room, where we go all out with the red and white for Christmas. Today I thought I’d show you my dining room, where I went with lots of white, silver, and gold. I actually had red and white in here a couple of Christmases ago, too, but it just didn’t look right with the furniture and colors. I changed it to this last year and loved it.

I had never had a white tree before we got this one, but I always wanted one. They remind me of childhood Christmases at my Grandma Leota’s house. She always had a white tree in her front window.

The thing I love about white trees is how they kind of glow at night when the lights are on.

I have a thing for mercury glass. Can’t get enough of the stuff.

I had fun playing around with the table settings. I’m not much of a cook, but don’t worry–if you come over for dinner, I won’t really serve you pine cones to eat. Ha.

It’s a small room–about 10′ x 12′–because it was originally a sitting room that no one ever really sat in. Over the last few years we put in hardwood floors, the chair rail and crown molding, and a chandelier to turn it into a dining room.

It will never be fancy or formal (the table and chairs are from IKEA, the rug is from Overstock.com, and the window treatments are West Elm), but it’s a cozy spot that I love to linger in. This is where we play family games on Friday nights because the table is just the right size–not too big, not too small!

Visit My House to see more of it, including…

Christmas-in-my-Sunroom-Hooked-on-HousesMy Sunroom

Comments

1. Judy says

Absolutely beautiful! Love the mercury glass, the soft glowing light and the white tree :) I really like the color of your buffet/dresser. I’m getting up the courage to possibly paint my inherited set from my Grandparents, (if my Mom doesn’t kill me). Did you paint that, if so do you mind sharing the color? ~ Judy

Beautiful, Julia! (You know I’m always jealous of your mercury glass!) Yesterday I saw some at Penneys that was gorgeous…might check the after-Christmas sales!!! =) Merry Christmas, Friend! ~Sally

3. Eileen says

It’s beautiful! I LOVE mercury glass too. The color palet is so warm and inviting….gorgeous.

4. Michelle Thomas says

Those are the dining chairs I want!! No Lie!! I absolutly love it!! It is stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful! The gold colour scheme is perfect – your dining room is so soft & warm & elegant :-) And love your white tree – I put up a white tree in our dining room too, and I agree, the glow from the lights is just gorgeous :-)

6. Lisa Smith says

Hi Julia!
    Your dining room is beautiful! As everyone has said, so very warm and inviting. Everything shimmers….just magical!!!

Hi Julia! Oh, your dining room is simply gorgeous! I love your white tree and how those snowflakes pop out! The color on your buffet is so pretty too and the way you’ve decorated the top – simple but so elegant! Your table setting is beautiful! Heck, I love everything in here! 😉 Merry Christmas!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

This is absolutely lovely! The whole room glows and just looks so warm. I decorate in golds, silvers, and bronzes, so this is right up my alley. Love it!

Absolutlely perfect! I may have to consider getting a white tree. Oh, and mercury glass…I adore it!!!!! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

10. Christina says

It looks so elegant! Breathtaking! I would like to have my dining room similar for next year. A break from the traditonal red and green. Still Christmasy but elegant.

11. Janelle says

Looks wonderful Julia! So elegant! I just LOVE your style! I feel the same way you do about mercury glass, just with milk glass:) Thanks for the inspiration and Merry Christmas to you and your family!:)

• says

I know! It’s so tempting to buy more when I see it in stores, but I have more than enough. When I got mine it was still harder to come by. Now I see it all over the place!

Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing… everything you’ve done just fills the rooms with love.
    Don’t you just love the fun of changing the decor at Christmas? It’s like starting new or moving without the actual hassle of the move – as well as an early Christmas morn – unwrapping all the decorations to see what you have forgot about over the past year.
    Love it! Thank you again!

Julia I adore your Holiday Table!! It is so gorgeous!! The mercury glass is something I have just started getting into it!! Yours are so unique!

Please come & Enter my 12 Days of Holiday Giveaways!! The latest is Art & more from Fifi Flowers!!
    xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

Who needs a sitting room?! A room where food is shared gets infinitely more use. You’ve done a marvelous job of giving the space the warmth of the holidays, and I would bet that your meals are more inspiring than you’re letting on. Pine cones, btw, are lovely decorator pieces. We have two stone urnlike containers on the front porch filled with cinnamon-scented cones (from Walmart of all places) that I bought 2 years ago. They still smell faintly of cinnamon, so I spray them with cinnamon room spray to liven them up. Fun stuff. Well done, Julia (again, still). :)

Just beautiful, Julia! I love the warm, golden glow! I miss the seperate dining rooms old houses had. Now, with open floor plans, you don’t have that same intimacy. What a good idea, turning the little-used sitting room into a dining room. Glad to here it’s being used, now, too!!

It’s so beautiful, like a scene from a magazine! I love mercury glass too and have a hard time not buying it every time I see it. I’m on a Christmas snowflake kick now and I love yours! I find they really show up well, and are not expensive to buy, a perfect combo!
    Is the tea ready?, I’ll be over with the cookies!

Julia, it is beautiful!! LOVE the white tree! I am on the lookout for one hopefully on sale after Christmas. This is my kind of dining room….love it!

Lou Cinda

18. Alyssa says

Julia LOVE your dinningroom !!!! I usually never like white trees ( unless they are flocked) but i love your tree =D . All the glass everything the room just glows :)

19. Kelly says

I love the color of the walls….do you mind sharing the color and where you purchased it? It looks fab w/the white beadboard! I also like the plates on the table and the area rug…my eye goes from the walls to the plates right down to the beautiful carpet….great job!!!! I prefer all chairs to match but the end chairs blend in nicely.

20. Kim says

What a beautiful and elegant room. That tree is absolutely gorgeous. Turning that space into a dining room was a genius idea. I dream of having one someday.

21. Miss E says

What a beautiful tree! If you are a Christian, might I recommend that in the future you integrate some Chrismons in your white tree decor? I didn’t really know about them until my mom started beading them herself, despite my church’s tree having always been decorated with them. I found a great website that explains the general idea and shows a few examples:

Merriest of Christmases to you and your family!

22. kasey says

The room is absolutely beautiful; it inspires me to actually do something with at least my table. (my dining table is in my living room as I have a small apt & no room in the kitchen). The colors glow & I love how the silver,white,gold contrasts with that absolutely gorgeous buffet. I covet that buffet.

And how did I never notice mercury glass before? I’m in love. I feel like I should run out right this minute & find someplace to buy it.

23. Don Knispel says

looks very pretty Julie (can I use the word pretty?), very inviting…looking forward to seeing you all!

24. Neesha says

WOW! I thought you were featuring a Christmas photo shoot for a magazine! This is so elegant, so beautiful and there’s an air of grace (I know that’s weird to say about a room, graceful!) about it. I could just sit in there and have dinner all night. You did a fantastic job! I love those little glass things on the table, the pine cones are whimsical and that tree! I’ve never wanted a white tree but you made me want one now. Beautiful just absolutely divine. great work!

Everywhere you look there is something beautiful! Your tree is so fun, I would love a white table top tree….have you ever seen one? I will be keeping my eye out after Christmas. Your drapes are gorgeous and I love how the pattern almost looks like falling snowflakes. Thanks for sharing!

Julia!!!! Your dining room is stunning. My mouth just dropped open when I saw your pics. Everything seems to glow. I think you did a wonderful job decorating! No one will notice that the pinecones taste a little tough. 😉 😉

27. Alyssa says

Julia I love your rug, where did you find it??? I’ve been on the lookout for the perfect area rug, can’t seem to find what i want.

28. shabbychick says

Gorgeous! White…silver…gold…lots of sparkle reflected in the mercury glass…
    what’s not to love? Merry Christmas, Julia!

29. Alyssa says

Thought i posted this but maybe i didn’t push submit LOL!!! Julia I wanted to say I love your area rug =D Where did you get it?? I have been on a search for one but i can’t find what i like any advice as t where to look???

30. Destiny says

Your dining room is lovely, lovely, and I covet your sideboard. (Covet is not a nice word, but it is the truth!) The color, the distressing, everything about it!

I too love mercury glass — just bought a piece at Anthropologie today!

And I also love the way my house looks at night. It’s my favorite time! I have a thing for accent lights, using them all year, and I love the soft glow they give off, not to mention that they are dust forgiving!

31. Wendy says

That’s just magical. Wonderful space you’ve created. I’ll come for dinner anytime!

32. Jodi from New Jersey says

So beautiful! You could feed me pine cones, I wouldn’t even notice in that gorgeous room. Enjoy the holidays with your sweet family….

33. Kathy :) says

Oh Julia, it’s magical…..you did such a nice job and i so agree with you that room calls for those colors !!! GREAT job………..

Merry Christmas,
    Kathy :)

34. Lorri says

Julia,

The white, silver and gold are so pretty together! Everything looks so beautiful and elegant…but I think my favorite things are the reindeer and snowflakes.

I think it’s so clever that you turned an unused sitting room into such a lovely dining room. Happy holidays and thanks for all the wonderful ideas :)

35. Brenda says

Thanks for the post, Julia. I love your dining room, truly a magical place. I am also jealous of your mercury glass, it really adds substance to the table. What are you serving for Christmas dinner? Happy holidays!

Your white tree and dining room are FABULOUS!!!!!

I would come and play games in that room ANY time…

Even if you fed us pine cones.

😉

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/Hugs,
    Lana

It looks lovely, Julia! It’s hard to believe that’s the same room where Jacob and I sat on the piano bench for his lessons! :-) You have such a great eye for decorating, and are full of inspiration! Thanks for letting us see all your beautiful Christmas decorations!

I just found your site! I love it! You say you are not a designer….I beg to differ! You are talented! Awesome job on your Christmas decor! Your blog is a “smile fest” ! Thank you. Love meeting a fellow house Fanatic!
    Sincerely,
    Suzy

39. Dorina says

So beautiful Julia! It gives me a Winter Wonderland feeling!

40. cm says

Love the colors! (I like your mirror too.)
    Wish I could hire you to decorate my house for Christmas. Mom use to get so stressed out and overly busy during Christmas that I hate decorating now! I’ve given my husband christmas decorating duty and he’s NOT artistic!

Love the colors, set up, decor …..Love love love everything. I am going to get started as soon as possible. Thank you for the inspiration.

42. Myrna Coffey says

Hi Julie,
    Your blog is charming, it is wonderful to find someone who loves houses as much as I do. Thank you for sharing your passion for unique houses.

Myrna Coffey