Turning a Plain-Jane House Into a Craftsman-Style Cottage

When I saw how Londen turned her nondescript little house into a charming Craftsman-style cottage with curb appeal, I was so impressed that I had to show it to you. Here’s how it looks now:

Read all about the transformation at Sixty-Fifth Avenue!

Julia-simple teal signature

P.S. Visit Before & After to see more, including…

Coastal Nest Beach Cottage BEFOREA Beach Cottage Remodel

Comments

I love to see such inspirational makeovers – this is SO lovely
    Mary x
    PS – Julia, I wonder if you could help me. I’m attempting to makeover my 4 teenage daughters living room and wondered if you had any posts that might be inspiring? I love your blog as you know and very often find wonderful ideas. Thanks Mary x
    email – britishmumskitchen@gmail.com

• says

Hmmm…good question! I don’t think I’ve ever done any posts about that specifically, but there are probably lots of pretty photos of living rooms on my blog if you run a search for them. You should also check Pinterest for some inspiration if you use it. It’s amazing what you can find there! :-)

2. Mike says

This is a fantastic change. I would not have thought it was the same house.

3. Karen says

These look like simple exterior changes, but what a difference they make. I love it when people take “Plain Jane’s” — those non-descript cottages and warm them up with a whole lot of charm and curb appeal. It takes more work than people realize. And I say that knowing full well how much sweat equity has gone into my humble abode–and the process still continues.

I adore cottages and bungalows and I also appreciate your blog. I visit often, but this is the first time I’ve posted.

What is it about the craftsman exterior style that is so welcoming and aesthetically pleasing? I don’t think I can exactly pinpoint what it is, but I know that this house now looks lovely.

5. threadbndr says

Very nice! They got a lot of the details spot on – the roof overhang and corbels are spot on.

Thank you for sharing our makeover Julia! It’s fun seeing our house over here on your fabulous blog! Have a great weekend.

7. Kim says

Wow what a difference. I love how simple details made a difference to this house.

I have to agree with Molly, on there’s something about craftsman styled homes that are so welcoming and pleasing. They are one of my favorite styles.

8. Jan says

There is much to admire about the homeowners’ thoughtful approach to this remodel. What is evident is that they recognize what can reasonably be done within their budget and skill set. Scrolling through the older posts, it’s clear that they have patience with doing things in stages.

I also have to compliment the homeowners for staying within the footprint of the original house. Way too many of these small but sound houses end up with ungainly additions that look tacked on and incohesive.

Finally, amen to finding landscape materials on Craigslist and also Freecycle. Often people just want someone to thin their perennial beds. You can score an amazing variety of plants that you know will thrive in your zone, often for free.

9. jodi from new jersey says

Going over to meet Londen now. What a beautiful makeover . I’m a sucker for any kind of pergola detail. I had a magazine photo in my dream folder for years then finally got my dream fence with a pergola detail above. Love my dream folder.. Thanks for all, Julia.

10. A.Men says

Great! Love it! How did she get the roof details? Hand a magazine picture to a carpenter? It’s not a kit at Home Depot?

Incredible. And the interior transformations that you see at her blog are equally impressive–and done on a budget.

Love Craftsman. Beautifully done. I see a number of these in my neighbourhood these days, especially along Riverside Drive Wpg.
    Dare I take on the challenge????????????????

13. Screendoorgirl 3 says

So beautiful! What a great job . I love the pergola detail. I know I’ve seen this before, but I’m going over now to eat my heart out… Thanks, Julia.