Turning a Plain-Jane House into a Craftsman-Style Cottage

by hookedonhouses on December 2, 2011

When I saw how Londen turned her nondescript little house into a charming Craftsman-style cottage with curb appeal, I was so impressed that I had to show it to you. Believe it or not, here’s how it looks now:

You can read all the details about the transformation and see more photos at Sixty-Fifth Avenue. Also be sure to check out Londen’s version of a Pottery Barn playroom. So cute!

Julia-simple teal signature

Visit my Before & After page to see more makeovers, including…

Coastal Nest Beach Cottage BEFOREA Beach Cottage Remodel

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Richella at Imparting Grace December 2, 2011 at 7:54 am

Now, that’s vision! Funny–the changes are fairly simple in some ways, but what a HUGE difference they make! Beautiful!

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints December 2, 2011 at 7:55 am

amazing transformation. love that moravian light too!

Mary December 2, 2011 at 8:01 am

I love to see such inspirational makeovers – this is SO lovely
Mary x
PS – Julia, I wonder if you could help me. I’m attempting to makeover my 4 teenage daughters living room and wondered if you had any posts that might be inspiring? I love your blog as you know and very often find wonderful ideas. Thanks Mary x
email – britishmumskitchen@gmail.com

hookedonhouses December 2, 2011 at 10:55 am

Hmmm…good question! I don’t think I’ve ever done any posts about that specifically, but there are probably lots of pretty photos of living rooms on my blog if you run a search for them. You should also check Pinterest for some inspiration if you use it. It’s amazing what you can find there! :-)

Jenny Allworthy December 2, 2011 at 8:26 am

What a great family story. Sounds like everyone pitches in! I love all the butterflies.

Mike December 2, 2011 at 11:15 am

This is a fantastic change. I would not have thought it was the same house.

Karen December 2, 2011 at 12:36 pm

These look like simple exterior changes, but what a difference they make. I love it when people take “Plain Jane’s” — those non-descript cottages and warm them up with a whole lot of charm and curb appeal. It takes more work than people realize. And I say that knowing full well how much sweat equity has gone into my humble abode–and the process still continues.

I adore cottages and bungalows and I also appreciate your blog. I visit often, but this is the first time I’ve posted.

hookedonhouses December 2, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Thanks, Karen! I love hearing from first-time commenters. :-)

Molly @thewaffler December 2, 2011 at 12:37 pm

What is it about the craftsman exterior style that is so welcoming and aesthetically pleasing? I don’t think I can exactly pinpoint what it is, but I know that this house now looks lovely.

threadbndr December 2, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Very nice! They got a lot of the details spot on – the roof overhang and corbels are spot on.

Londen December 2, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Thank you for sharing our makeover Julia! It’s fun seeing our house over here on your fabulous blog! Have a great weekend.

Kim December 2, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Wow what a difference. I love how simple details made a difference to this house.

I have to agree with Molly, on there’s something about craftsman styled homes that are so welcoming and pleasing. They are one of my favorite styles.

Jan December 2, 2011 at 10:30 pm

There is much to admire about the homeowners’ thoughtful approach to this remodel. What is evident is that they recognize what can reasonably be done within their budget and skill set. Scrolling through the older posts, it’s clear that they have patience with doing things in stages.

I also have to compliment the homeowners for staying within the footprint of the original house. Way too many of these small but sound houses end up with ungainly additions that look tacked on and incohesive.

Finally, amen to finding landscape materials on Craigslist and also Freecycle. Often people just want someone to thin their perennial beds. You can score an amazing variety of plants that you know will thrive in your zone, often for free.

jodi from new jersey December 3, 2011 at 6:56 am

Going over to meet Londen now. What a beautiful makeover . I’m a sucker for any kind of pergola detail. I had a magazine photo in my dream folder for years then finally got my dream fence with a pergola detail above. Love my dream folder.. Thanks for all, Julia.

A.Men December 3, 2011 at 9:27 am

Great! Love it! How did she get the roof details? Hand a magazine picture to a carpenter? It’s not a kit at Home Depot?

Patience December 3, 2011 at 9:27 am

Incredible. And the interior transformations that you see at her blog are equally impressive–and done on a budget.

Nadine December 3, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Love Craftsman. Beautifully done. I see a number of these in my neighbourhood these days, especially along Riverside Drive Wpg.
Dare I take on the challenge????????????????

Mom in High Heels December 4, 2011 at 4:07 am

Wow! That’s amazing. Craftsman style is my absolute favorite.

Kathryn Griffin December 4, 2011 at 11:38 am

Now that is just lovely! Thank you for sharing. Have a grand day! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Olivia & Will's Fine Children's Furniture December 23, 2011 at 11:33 am

Beautiful in looking and put great ideas and thoughts for make This too nice.

NJ Cellulose Insulation Contractor January 5, 2012 at 11:48 am

Hm, sometimes a simple change is all a house needs.

Screendoorgirl 3 April 3, 2013 at 4:50 pm

So beautiful! What a great job . I love the pergola detail. I know I’ve seen this before, but I’m going over now to eat my heart out… Thanks, Julia.

{ 1 trackback }