A WaterColor Cottage in Florida: Inspired by the “Something’s Gotta Give” Beach House?

by hookedonhouses on November 18, 2011

When I saw a WaterColor cottage for rent on Western Lake in Florida that’s billed as “A new home designed after the house from the Diane Keaton movie Somethings Gotta Give,” I was pretty excited to get a look at it. The listing goes as far as calling it “a replica” of the famous Hamptons beach house.

The exterior certainly doesn’t look anything like the one from the movie, but I thought the interiors might look more familiar. See what you think.

I love this entry hall and staircase. Gorgeous!

In the movie, the staircase was off the living room. I can’t tell by the listing photo if the living room is nearby or not. Here’s the SGG version:

The living room in the listing is lovely, too, but very different. No blue striped rug in sight:

I’m not really seeing the resemblance to the Something’s Gotta Give house, are you? Here’s the kitchen in the cottage:

And the kitchen in the movie:

I like it, though. I wouldn’t mind spending a week of my vacation here, that’s for sure.

Diane Keaton’s bedroom in the movie had an upholstered headboard and windows on either side of it, too:

One of my favorite things that this one has that the SGG house didn’t is this sleeping porch off the master bedroom:

Did I ever tell you it was our dream to build one of these off our bedroom, above our sunroom? Um, yeah. The quote for that came in much higher than we expected, so the sleeping porch was a no-go. I’d love to have one someday, though!

The front porches on the WaterColor cottage are pretty wonderful, too. I don’t think a house can ever have too many porches.

So even though I’m not quite sure how this is really considered a “replica” of the Something’s Gotta Give house, I think it’s beautiful in its own right. And it’s a brilliant marketing strategy for it. It got my attention! Now I’m daydreaming about taking my next family vacation here.

If you’re daydreaming about it, too, you can see more photos and information at Vacation Rental Agent. Need a reminder of what the SGG house looks like? You can see all the photos of it here.

P.S. Check out this Something’s Gotta Give House on Martha’s Vineyard, which really does have an uncanny resemblance to the movie set, or the beautiful Something’s Gotta Give replica in Sun Valley, Idaho!

Luciane at Homebunch.com November 18, 2011 at 8:04 am

It’s funny, but don’t we all feel inspired by that movie? I know we talk about that decor over and over and over, for so many years now, but that’s the kind of look we all love: timeless, charming, relaxed but elegant at the same time.

This place is just like that!

Have a blessed weekend,

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating November 18, 2011 at 8:09 am

It’s a beautiful house, for sure! But I have no idea why they would call it a “replica” of the Something’s Gotta Give house. It doesn’t look anything like it, in my opinion. Very interesting. It must just be a marketing tactic to grab people’s attention, and perhaps they’re relying on people not having a very good memory of what the SGG house looked like (and certainly not having photos…or this blog…at their fingertips).

hookedonhouses November 18, 2011 at 8:18 am

Good point, Kristi. Not everyone has the house from SGG committed to memory like some of us do. Ha.

Mopsy November 18, 2011 at 8:17 am

This house is beautiful but I LOVE the SGG house. This one doesn’t look like it belongs at the beach, either, except the palmetto fronds and shells laying around.

Marcia November 18, 2011 at 8:22 am

Love this post! Thank you so much for the previous post on Champlain’s Bluff. Glad you took a little tour of our website and shared it with your readers.
One of the most common requests we get from our clients is to have the kitchen from “Somethings Gotta Give.” I think I like the kitchen in the above house even better. Very warm.

Heather November 18, 2011 at 8:59 am

Well, the feeling is certainly the same……maybe they just replicated the essence of the house!

Mel November 18, 2011 at 9:02 am

More like ‘inspired’ by rather than a replica. Very pretty!

Julie @ The Family CEO November 18, 2011 at 10:06 am

Exactly what I was going to say, Mel. I can certainly see that it could have been inspired by the SGG house. Either way, I love both of them.

Dawn November 18, 2011 at 9:23 am

I’m in agreement that this home really doesn’t replicate the look of the SGG house but maybe it’s more of the ‘feel’ that they were going for. I actually like this house a lot, especially the foyer as that’s exactly what I would love duplicating in my own home. However, SGG is still my favorite.

sharron November 18, 2011 at 9:26 am

I love her house in any movie she is in!! She has a certain style!
Love any Meryl Streep movie house too!

shabbychick November 18, 2011 at 9:41 am

How gorgeous! I adore the kitchen in the Florida house, as well as that master bedroom. I didn’t see the resemblance to the movie house but I’d live in either one! ;)

Barbara November 18, 2011 at 10:04 am

Where do I start. :) I do love the sleeping porch, but the exterior of the Hamptons
SGG house is so beautiful. Don’t like the big X’s on the other porch. When you walk in the living room of SGG it screams….Hamptons…the blue and white striped rug and I love the bookcase over the door. Nice touch, Beth Rubino. And, that big standing clock, so perfect. The other kitchen was nice, but seemed a little cluttered or close.
SGG’s is my favorite kitchen ever. The Florida staircase was kinda scary. It looked like it went straight up. SGG house makes me want to move to the Hamptons and I don’t want to move to Florida. :)

Bobbi November 18, 2011 at 10:31 am

Have to say . . . your blog is one of the happiest moments of my day! It just makes my heart go “ahhh.” It inspires, surprises and delights me. Thank you so much! You are very special indeed.

hookedonhouses November 18, 2011 at 11:04 am

Well, if that’s not one of the nicest comments ever! Thanks, Bobbi. :)

melissa @ the inspired room November 18, 2011 at 11:13 am

Aw, what a sweet comment :-)!!! You need to frame that one. I agree, Julia always inspires, surprises and delights!!!

I love both of these houses, I would think “inspired by” the Something’s Gotta Give home would be more descriptive. They are both lovely and I would take either one of them, thank you :-)

Happy Weekend!!

Ricki Jill Treleaven November 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

I think they did a pretty good job with the decor….. but it must be a very loose interpretation of the SGG house!

LuckyMe61 November 18, 2011 at 11:10 am

I agree this house does not resemble the SGG house. But it is beautiful and, as you say, would be great to spend a vacation week at. I love this area of Florida (near Seaside). We rented a cottage their about 5 years ago and loved it. My kids still rave about it. Check out Vacationbythebeach.com. We rented in the Magnolia by the Sea area and everything was wonderful and the price was just incredible!

Rick November 18, 2011 at 11:21 am

I think the SGG house is at the top of the spectrum and we just don’t see others come close. The SGG house inside and out is elegant. It would be easy to take it more formal, painted shingles outside, more formal landscape etc. What makes us love the “house” is that is is so elegantly casual, It is not shouting or demanding attention. You just know you could get a cup of coffee or soda and sit and relax away the day. You could have friends over and fill the house and have a great time.
Most of us could see ourselves in the SGG house. Some of the others look like they are copycats or trying too hard.

rick

ps the leather chairs in the livingroom don’t fit in my opinion. loft maybe, not here.

Marie November 18, 2011 at 11:43 am

Lovely vacation rental. “Replica” may be too strong a word. It does have the SSG “vibe” though!

Mary November 18, 2011 at 12:06 pm

It’s a lovely house – very beachy with splashes of blue and white but I wouldn’t have thought of SGG unless it was suggested. Wouldn’t mind staying there – although I prefer a self contained kitchen – where I can get lost by myself!
Mary x

Cindy November 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I agree with all the above – it’s more a ‘similar feel’ thing. The SGG house will not be beaten. I can look at the pics of it again and again, and always find something new to love and admire.

Also agree with Bobbi – love the blog!

Amanda @ Serenity Now November 18, 2011 at 1:00 pm

It’s a lovely house, for sure, but I think you are right. Other than a lot of white slip-covered furniture, I don’t see much of a resemblance.

Maya @ Completely Coastal November 18, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Anything to draw attention, right! It’s a beautiful home anyways!!

Kim November 18, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I love this house. It doesn’t really look like the SGG house, but I can tell they went with the same overall feel. The details and colors of this house are very beautiful. I love the staircase, entry hall, and living room. The kitchen is nice, but I don’t like the open shelving, but they can be covered up, if the cabinets weren’t specially designed for this house.

Brenda November 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm

A very astute marketing campaign here, makes everyone look twice..and drool. I love this house, it looks very calm and cozy. I could see myself in this house, except I really don’t enjoy Florida. Another great post, Julia.

Bre November 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm

This home is simply beautiful! I’m with you Julia, I don’t see it as an exact replica but it is definitely inspired from the movie. I love all the white and nautical, natural elements and touches. I am now obsessed with the idea of a sleeping porch, even the name sounds endlessly appealing!

Mia November 18, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Beautiful house, but I agree…not a replica! Not a bit…

Sunny November 18, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Well, it’s more similar than the family room “Color Splash” gang did (in Miami) with the SGG house as an inspiration…

Both very pretty though.

Have a lovely weekend!

classic • casual • home November 18, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I think they just have the white walls in common…but this makes me want more artwork in my stairwell.

jodi from new jersey November 18, 2011 at 9:46 pm

All three houses are gorgeous! What is it about that style? There’s no striking wall color , nothing really stands out , but all together–WOW! So beautifully just right …. I guess I’ll keep stealing details here and there and maybe someday I’ll get close.. Thanks Julia!

Jenny November 19, 2011 at 12:01 am

I love that kitchen, but it in no way looks like the home in SGG.

Joni Webb November 19, 2011 at 1:28 am

it’s a beautiful house – very much so. but it certainly is nothing, absolutely nothing, like the Somethings Gotta Give house. so many houses (especially those for sale) use that as a selling device, but rarely is it true! despite that, i would take this home is a ny minute!!! its’ gorgeous.

Joni

E. George November 19, 2011 at 6:32 am

Hi there Julia what can I say like everyone I don’t think it’s anything like SGG house but it’s just as beautiful I’m thinking maybe some of the colour scheme could be similar – LOVE BOTH . Thank you for sharing. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Pom Pom November 19, 2011 at 11:36 am

I just watched that film again last weekend. I love the place were Erica writes and all the windows in the living room. Thanks!

Missy November 19, 2011 at 10:52 pm

That is so funny!!! I, too, found this house while looking for rentals in the Watercolor area. I didn’t really think it looked like the SGG house, but I love it! My husband has this CRAZY idea that if we are going to the beach then we need to actually stay ON the beach. He doesn’t understand that it’s more important to stay someplace PRETTY!! I don’t know what’s wrong with him!

hookedonhouses November 20, 2011 at 9:10 am

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind the short walk to the beach if the house was this great! :-)

Pooch November 20, 2011 at 12:32 pm

It appears that it could have been more accurately listed as “inspired by the house in SGG”. Beautiful-beautiful.

Tamika November 21, 2011 at 9:55 am

Notice how every room is small. I still like it though.

Karen @ Aurelia Interiors November 21, 2011 at 11:54 am

I have friends who stayed in this house when they visited Watercolor a few years ago. The owner was just finishing the house and they said she kept stopping over to change things or try out different chairs. HA!

hookedonhouses November 21, 2011 at 5:00 pm

No kidding? Love it! :)

Bette Farley November 22, 2011 at 6:51 am

You say you can never have too many porches? We bought a 1922 Colonial Revival on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. It has 5 porches and I spend my whole weekend sweeping, vacuuming and washing porches. As they say, be careful what you wish for. Hopefully when we move there full time it will only have to be a once a week thing. LOL!

hookedonhouses November 22, 2011 at 7:19 am

I never thought of that, but it would be a lot of upkeep! Guess I never had that problem, since I’ve only had one porch at a time. Ha.

I’d love to see photos of your 1922 Colonial Revival with 5 porches, though, Bette! Sounds amazing. :)

Colonial Revival November 22, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I’d be happy to show you pictures but all I have are the ones that were sent me before we bought the house. Great bones! How do I send them? Maybe you can give some advice. The house has very little wall space due to lots of windows and lots of doors. Our bedroom has 6 doors! But I love it!

Colonial Revival November 22, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Silly me. I figured it out. I just emailed you all the pics – hope thats okay.

{ 1 trackback }