Urban Farm-Style Living in a 1927 Mediterranean Revival

by hookedonhouses on November 6, 2011

This Mediterranean-Revival style house was built in 1927 in Altadena, California, and it features some pretty great “extras,” like its own orchard, organic gardens, and a separate, light-filled art studio. What really grabbed my attention, though, was the kitchen. If I had one like this, I might cook more often!

It’s on the market for $2.495 million, so take a look and see what you think.

The entry and staircase still has the original tile from the 1920s.  I like the built-in bookcases on the upstairs landing:

The house has five bedrooms, six bathrooms, and nearly 5,000 square feet.

The listing describes it as “the epitome of gracious and urban farm style living” because of its sprawling grounds that include an orchard and vegetable gardens, as well as a pool.

Here’s that kitchen that made me sit up and take notice. It’s big but looks warm and welcoming to me. Wish we could see what was written on that blackboard-painted wall:

The listing describes it as “a cook’s kitchen with a 60-inch Viking range and commercial oven.” I think it’s interesting (and kind of refreshing) that they went with white instead of stainless steel. You don’t see that too often in houses at this price range.

I’m loving that hefty wood island and all the bookshelves, too.

The butler’s pantry ain’t too shabby, either:

This appears to be a kind of gathering or “hearth room” off the kitchen:

As a bonus, the house comes with a “950+ sq. ft. studio/garage with separate HVAC system, steel & glass roll up doors and vaulted ceilings perfect for the creative soul.” What would you create here?

There’s a pretty impressive organic garden in the backyard where you might cross paths with a chicken or two:

This house was featured in the LA Times; you can read more about it and see more photos there (taken by Jose Lara), or check out the listing by agent Ted Clark on Realtor.com. (Thanks to Nita for telling me about it!)

More Great Houses For Sale:

Melinda November 6, 2011 at 8:25 am

I think I could be happy just living in the studio/garage! Wow!

Lesley @ The Design File November 6, 2011 at 8:49 am

I love the sofas! Beautiful.

Brigid November 6, 2011 at 8:49 am

Wow, I LOVED this house! And I agree with you, nice to see the Viking in white…I actually liked it. Much easier to clean I bet! :) I love your blog, I work for Ralph Lauren Home and have shared it with the people at work…we are all house/decorating crazy! Have a great Sunday!

Luciane at Homebunch.com November 6, 2011 at 8:55 am

So much character in this house! And a big “YES” to the kitchen!!!

Have a lovely Sunday! :-)

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Kymberly November 6, 2011 at 9:09 am

I confess the first photo of one of the living rooms reads as more “Catalog Living” spoof to me.

“The house rules were very clear. The marble orbs were NOT permitted to jump on the sofas.”

Cheryl November 6, 2011 at 9:16 am

You’re so right Kymberly! I love Catalog Living, it has changed the way I look at catalogs and magazines.

hookedonhouses November 6, 2011 at 9:36 am

Ha!

Susan November 6, 2011 at 9:09 am

Oh, that kitchen has me drooling too – been thinking a lot about black cabinets lately – works if you have good natural light.

Chris M November 10, 2011 at 2:02 pm

OMG yes, and that Butler’s Pantry, amazing! Love it!

Christina November 6, 2011 at 9:09 am

Nice house .Julia, what happened when you did the real estate listing from around the country on Sundays sent in by your readers? I really enjoyed that. I enjoyed seeing what you could get for a certain amount in different parts of the country.

hookedonhouses November 6, 2011 at 9:38 am

I posted all of the listings that readers sent me. If I ever get enough more, I’d love to run another series of them! :-)

Mel Mel November 6, 2011 at 9:10 am

What a gorgeous home! Makes me wish I had a few extra million sitting around….

Cheryl November 6, 2011 at 9:13 am

Agreed! The kitchen is fantastic, the island is totally what makes it for me. The butlers pantry is a dream – I could have one of those if we didn’t need a bathroom or if my daughter didn’t need a bedroom. If I had that studio it would be very mutlipurpose – somewhere for art, writing, and a place to plan out the weddings I decorate. Ahhh, Sunday dreaming.

christina November 6, 2011 at 9:38 am

the bookshelf at the top of the stairs just made me melt. we’re gutting our 1826 farmhouse in VT and I believe I might have to steal this idea! thanks for all your great pix.

Beverly from Montreal November 7, 2011 at 7:14 am

Loved those bookshelves! All that was missing were a big comfy armchair, ottoman and reading lamp.

Jenny November 6, 2011 at 10:52 am

Am I the only one who noticed the goat in the kitchen? :)

hookedonhouses November 7, 2011 at 7:39 am

I was assuming that was a kind of goat statue, since the kitchen is filled with roosters and rabbits and other animals on the shelves. Do you think it’s real?

Kirsi Toivanen November 6, 2011 at 10:53 am

Lovely house with absolutely lovely garden!

Tricia Rose November 6, 2011 at 10:53 am

What a lived in, loved in house! I hope it gets the new owners it deserves – something tells me it will.

Nathan November 6, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I’m not a big fan of the island/counter but I absolutely love the rest of the kitchen. And that butler’s pantry? That is a heck of a lot nicer than the kitchen in my apartment – even without a sink and a stove, haha.

black eyed susans kitchen November 6, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I liked every aspect of this house and especially the kitchen! Love black and white in a kitchen!!

cherylK November 6, 2011 at 12:33 pm

That’s an incredible kitchen…I love the blend of wood tones and painted cabinets. I think that’s what makes it so homey. Yep, I could move in there on a moment’s notice.

Kim November 6, 2011 at 3:22 pm

What a cool Mediterranean house. I love the kitchen. This house reminds me of the one used in the show “Beverly Hills 90210″.

Maggy November 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I have to agree w/ everyone on the kitchen .. I like it, too. And yes, Jenny, I saw the goat! (Couldn’t make out what it was; hope it’s a family pet) Oooh, what I’d give for a Viking range! I espeicially like the light fixtures .. looks like the two over the island have weights so that they can be lowered, if/when necessary. Very clever!

This house has very nice bones. Love the garage/studio and the porches and balconies. The dogs and I could definitely hang out there!

Great post, Julia!

E. George November 6, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Hi Julia – you got my attention (as always) – WOW where do I start? I agree with you the kitchen is something else. To cut a long story short I LOVE THIS HOUSE. Thank you for sharing this great beauty. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Wendy November 6, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I loved the kitchen too. I think it was the light fixtures and the island that made it special. But I guess I’m the lone dissenter on everything else. “The epitome of gracious and urban farm style living?” That’s just silly. there’s no such thing as urban farm style living be the epitome of, ferheavensakes. And that was a nice backyard garden, but mine’s about the same and I don’t call it a farm! There didn’t seem to be anything farm style about the house or decor to me. I know, gripe, gripe, gripe. I guess I’m just getting grouchy about everybody trying to cash in on the sustainability movement. If that’s a farm, I’m the goat in the kitchen!

Holley November 7, 2011 at 8:15 am

That is gorgeous! I love the kitchen with the black and the white, yet somehow not too stark. It feels cozy even though it is so large.

Beverly Palmer November 7, 2011 at 10:19 am

I would hold our girl scout meetings in that garage!

Billy November 7, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Great place to live, from Veteran’s Day through Easter Vacation. The rest of the year is the reason there are houses at Malibu.

Brenda November 7, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I had to backtrack and look for the goat. I hope it’s not a stuffed one…although it doesn’t look real either. I love just about everything in this house, but most of all, the bookcases on the landing, what a cozy spot. Great post.

Neesha November 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm

This is my kind of living. Very relaxed yet elegant. Perfect balance. This blog of yours make me wish I had billions of dollars to spend on houses. Seriously love it. You are feeding my addiction! Thank you!

Lisa T. November 7, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I seriously love everything about this house! More great pics on the realtor.com link. Thanks for that.

Now I have to scroll back up and look for the goat.

Nita November 7, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I do just LOVE this house!!!!

Stephanie Durdan November 8, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I LOVE the Butler’s Pantry and kitchen. The lights over the kitchen island are neat.

TheChangingHouse November 12, 2011 at 8:10 am

Blackboard walls seem to be an “in” thing lately! I’ve noticed a lot of them. Does anyone have one? Do you like it? I’m a teacher, so I really hate chalk. I would just think the dust would get everywhere….and if you accidentally bump into the wall, it’s on your clothes, too! I love the idea of it though….I could write my grocery list, or reminders for my to-do list! How perfect!