Searching for Victoria’s Chair from the TV Show “Revenge”–and the Real Grayson Mansion

by hookedonhouses on October 24, 2011

Ever since I posted photos of those fabulous Hamptons beach houses from the new TV drama “Revenge,” I’ve been getting emails about the chair in Victoria Grayson’s living room. Everyone wants to know where they can get one like it. Well, I had no idea. But then a couple of readers told me they found something similar at HomeGoods.

So, like Veronica Mars, I grabbed my camera (okay, my iPhone) and set out to investigate! This is what I found…

Sure enough, my local HomeGoods had a chair that was upholstered in a similar fabric. Here’s the photo I snapped of it:

It’s not as tall, and the shape of the chair itself isn’t as dramatic as Victoria’s, sadly, but hey. The price is right!

I bet Victoria paid more than $300 for hers. So if you’re one of those readers who told me you were desperate to find one like it, run–don’t walk!–to HomeGoods and see if they have any left. You know how fast their inventory turns over!

*This just in: Kathy tells me the one she found at HomeGoods is even closer to the one on the show, and she sent me a photo:

Kathy says, “Orig. $899; HG price $499.99; my clearance price $349.00!” Wow! She bought it before “Revenge” premiered. I imagine they’re a lot harder to come by now that Victoria made it famous!

She adds that she found the matching footstool at Steinmart and the matching pillow at Ballard Designs. (Thanks, Kathy!)

On a side note, I haven’t been happy with the photos my new iPhone takes. They’re all a little blurry as you can tell from these that I took of this chair. I was complaining about it to my husband Dave, who looked it over and said, “Well, it might work better if you took the plastic film off the back of the phone first.” D’oh!

If you know where to find a chair that looks more like Victoria’s, let us know! (Check the comments–lots of readers have spotted lookalikes and tell us where to find them!)

Oh, and for everyone who has written to ask where the real exterior of the Grayson mansion is located, I have been told by several sources that it was based on a real house (or houses), but most of it was Photoshopped. That would explain why it’s been so hard to track it down! Here’s how it looks on TV:

KatD tells me that they based it on a house designed by architect Peter Cook and then made it bigger for TV. They also added things like the solarium on the back. Here’s the model of it that she referred me to:

But Jim Wolfe tells me the house they based it on is “located on the corner of Further Lane and Cross Highway in Amagansett. They just stretched it, moved the pool and added a few extras.” Those of you who are familiar with that area will have to let us know if you’ve seen the one he means.

He pointed me to this photo of it (via Just Not Said):

*UPDATE: A reader tracked down interior photos of this house that you can see here. Thanks, Juliana!

In other words, the Grayson house probably doesn’t exist. The one we see on the show is very possibly based on one or two real properties, but most of it appears to be TV magic. (If you know differently, fill us in!)

By the way, Emily’s real beach house is in NC (not the Hamptons):

Emily Thorne’s Beach House in Revenge, with a Behind-the-Scenes Video Tour.

You can see more photos of the “Revenge” beach houses here.

Luciane at Homebunch.com October 24, 2011 at 7:35 am

I’ve been wondering the same thing!!! I’m obsessed over this show! :-)

Have a blessed week!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Primitiques April 25, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Hi, we make that chair at Primitiques, Ltd. Thanks, B

Neal Dodson October 24, 2011 at 8:03 am

Julia,
I believe that chair is available at Restoration Hardware.
Neal Dodson

CLange October 24, 2011 at 8:06 am

The fabric from the chair is available from Ballard Designs. It’s called Document. I searched Ballard for a matching chair but I didn’t see one that was a perfect match. I love the interiors on that show!

hookedonhouses October 24, 2011 at 8:19 am

Thanks! Looks like the Thurston Wing Chair is a close match (Margaret mentioned this one on my Facebook page):

hookedonhouses October 24, 2011 at 8:23 am

And here’s the link to the Document fabric that looks like a perfect match!

Thanks!!

zelaya November 14, 2011 at 1:01 pm

We can fabricate all of the furniture on the show or we can reupholster your existing furniture to match the furniture on the show. We deliver to NJ, NY & PA.

Zelaya Interiors

Sarvi February 28, 2012 at 11:58 am

I was wondering if you could custom make the cocktail table? I have a large sofa (89″) in my sun room and need a oversize table.

hookedonhouses February 28, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Well, I can’t, but I’m sure there’s someone out there who could!

Zelaya Interiros March 23, 2012 at 11:51 am

Please send us your photo?

Neal Dodson October 24, 2011 at 8:09 am

H http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1153312&categoryId=cat1701068
Here Is the link. Its shown in leather, but available in the fabric shown on the show :

hookedonhouses October 24, 2011 at 8:16 am

Thanks, Neal!

Annie@A View On Design October 24, 2011 at 8:15 am

oh I do love that chair, I can see why it caught your eye!!

shelley October 24, 2011 at 8:17 am

Lauren Liess, Pure Style Home, has a similar chair.
Love your wonderful blog!
Shelley

hookedonhouses October 24, 2011 at 8:19 am

You’re right! Thanks, Shelley! (Love Lauren’s blog.)

beth gilmore October 24, 2011 at 8:26 am

love the chair, love the house and love your great job Giulia!thank you!

KimB October 24, 2011 at 8:29 am
hookedonhouses October 24, 2011 at 8:41 am

It does look like it! Thanks!

Angela October 24, 2011 at 8:42 am

You can also get the chair from Ballard Designs.

Pat October 24, 2011 at 8:51 am

I’ve never seen this show…I’ve been out of the country, LOL!, but I would watch it just for the house and decor!
Love that chair, the Homegoods version would be just the right size for my not too big house. I’m fighting the urge to go buy it!

Arie @ The Ugly Barn Farm October 24, 2011 at 9:14 am

If one is a handy kind of person, they can DIY, there are lots of similar fabrics by the yard….

As a side note, if you think the chair looks fabulous in this fabric, think what a bed would look like! There is an antique shop nearby called Glory Days Antiques, where one of the sellers took an antique bed and upholstered it in the French Script fabric. It’s simply stunning and I always want to purchase it every time I go in there. But alas, I have no room for it.

If one cannot purchase the chair, I did find a floor cushion to match:

hookedonhouses October 24, 2011 at 9:18 am

This is great! Thanks, Arie!

sharron October 24, 2011 at 9:58 am

LOVe the show..that chair and yes I think that is the same house in the listing!!
I would love to live in it!!
tfs!

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints October 24, 2011 at 10:21 am

LOVE THAT SHOW! I just bought an ottoman over the weekend that looks very similar to the chair at Stein Mart. $99 baby!!!

Marci October 24, 2011 at 11:06 am

HomeGoods actually has one that looks even more similar than the one you found there. In fact, I think it is nearly identical! They have a few different styles of chairs in the French script….

hookedonhouses October 24, 2011 at 11:49 am

Oh, really? This is the only one my HomeGoods had, but maybe some of you will have better luck! Thanks, Marci! :)

diana October 24, 2011 at 11:16 am

Love that chair… thanks for the scoop…. but most of all love your humor and the anecdote ab leaving the film on the camera… sounds exactly like my life… still laughing.

Amanda @ Serenity Now October 24, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I’m gonna start calling you Nancy Drew! Too funny about the film on your iPhone. ;) I looooooove Emily’s beach house.

Nathan October 24, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I love the style of the chair and the fabric. I fell in love with a canvas/burlap wrapped dresser with the same sort of style.
And thanks for your previous post on this show. That caused me to watch the show and it is now my favourite show of the season. Thanks!

Kathy October 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm

That is not the chair! However I did buy the exact one (high modified wingback) at Homegoods in Tampa, Florida. Orig. $899; HG price $499.99; my clearance price $349.00! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

hookedonhouses October 24, 2011 at 2:19 pm

No kidding? That’s great! Mine must have been sold out of the wingback version.

hookedonhouses October 24, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Kathy just sent me a photo and I added it to the post. Thanks, Kathy! :)

laney October 24, 2011 at 3:10 pm

…do not know anything about this show…but i do know about southport nc…the place where the beach house is suppose to be…southport is the most wonderful little town on the cape fear river…across from bald head island …my family was blessed to spend 29 summers not far from southport…while this newer house is lovely…the old historic homes will take your breath away…love love love southport…

Miss Charming October 24, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Because of your previous post on the Revenge homes, I am now watching (and loving) the show.

Kim October 24, 2011 at 4:27 pm

What a neat looking chair. The one you found and the ones your readers found look so similar. What great finds.

Those houses do look like the ones they used for the show. Pretty cool.

Elaine October 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm

There was a movie on Hallmark last night 10/23 called Edge of Garden. There was the cutest cottage with beautiful gardens. Do you have any insight on this house?

hookedonhouses October 25, 2011 at 6:25 am

I saw that movie and loved the cottage! Have no information on it, though. Sorry.

DJ November 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm

We know you will soon have the info on this cottage – Right ? I absolutely love, love this site. Every time I ramble through it there is something I find that makes me squeal !!!

Bre October 24, 2011 at 5:33 pm

That chair is really gorgeous, both the Home Goods version and Victoria’s. Revenge is such a good show! Thanks for this post, Julia!

Decor Girl (@TheDecorGirl) October 24, 2011 at 6:04 pm

What is it about that chair? Yes, the hubby and I are hooked on it -thanks to On Demand we watched the 4 episodes last weekend. Love it. Great show, finally not a another bloody crime show. Of course I love the houses and interiors too. Isn’t it funny how it can be a set or location which draws us in as much as the show?

Cass at That Old House October 24, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Hi Julia,
We have a beach house across Peconic Bay from the Hamptons, and while I don’t watch the TV show you mentioned, I was in the local (Riverhead, NY) HomeGoods this past weekend when we were at our shore house — and they had that chair, the wingback one with that fabric, for $499. I had no idea it was famous.

My husband tried it, as I thought it was cute, but he said it was too “squooshy” to sit in. But… it still is VERY cute, and SO close to the Hamptons — maybe the set designer found it there. :-)

Cass

Jared October 24, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Now that you mention it, it does look photoshopped. Especially the pool and cabana area, it doesn’t look real! Its always so disappointing to find out our favorite TV or Hollywood houses aren’t real. Its like seeing a super hero out of costume!

Colleen October 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm

This chair is differnt … a slipper chair rather than a wingback and the fabric is different but it might fit some folks’ spaces better and it’s much less expensive. I don’t own this chair but it comes up whenever I search “accent chair” and I think it’s cute.

hookedonhouses October 25, 2011 at 6:24 am

Ooh, I like that one, too. Thanks, Colleen!

Richard Orton October 25, 2011 at 1:40 am

Victoria Grayson sits in that chair like it is a throne. Great staging like this is part of what makes this the best new show of the season. But for me, the best part of the chair is the fabric. I used that same fabric last year when I had my old Milo Baughman chair re-upholstered. My club chair with a chrome base has a very different look from the wing chair in Victoria’s house but it looks good. In this link you can see the chair before and after… http://www.flickr.com/photos/7384797@N02/5420830862/

kasey October 25, 2011 at 2:11 am

Your chair looks awesome! I love it, the document fabric goes so well with the chrome. It also looks very comfortable.

I agree on the staging re Victoria & her “throne” — it was one of the first comments I made to a friend about the show. The synergy between story, character & staging/production design is some of the best I’ve seen on TV in a while.

hookedonhouses October 25, 2011 at 6:24 am

It really is like her throne! Your chair looks great–thanks for sharing the link, Richard!

Mary October 25, 2011 at 6:14 am

That’s great to know about Home Goods – I’m headed off there!
Mary x

Joy October 25, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Great Job Julia, That does look like the Grayson house there in Amaganssett. Awsome. !!

Lisa October 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Has anyone seen the beautiful interiors on American Horror Story? Wondering if it’s an actual home or a set??

hookedonhouses October 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm

It is a real house–the exterior, anyway. You can read about it on Curbed:

The interiors I imagine are sets. You can explore the rooms from the show on this website (if you dare–cue the evil laughter):

Rachel October 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I noticed her headboard before the chair (they’re very similar fabric if not the same) and recognized it from being from pier one and THEN I saw the chair. I can’t find a picture to compare the two online and pier one doesn’t let you get a close up of the fabric. However, I thought I’d share the link. From far away the fabric doesn’t look the same, but I’ve seen it in person and it’s really cute.

hookedonhouses October 25, 2011 at 5:02 pm

That’s great! Thanks, Rachel!

Juliana October 26, 2011 at 11:00 am

The address is 257 Further Lane, East Hampton, 11937 NY.

hookedonhouses October 26, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Wow, thanks, Juliana!

Juliana October 27, 2011 at 5:55 am

No problem! I’ve tried to find a way to contact the location manager for the show, but so far I didn’t find a thing. If that website Seeing Stars starts being interested in the show, they will be able to tell us if we got it wrong. Perhaps the house isn’t even in the Hamptons, but like a lot of other stuff, it’s somewhere in North Carolina.

Thank you and your readers who tracked it down!

Here are some photos of the interior:

hookedonhouses October 27, 2011 at 7:02 am

Can’t believe you tracked down interior photos for us. Just added the link to the post. Thanks, Juliana!

Ken October 28, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Here’s an aerial view from Bing Maps.

Use the + button to zoom in and use the down arrow icon to view the house from 4 different angles. You can see that this house was used as the starting point for the photoshopped version. In the photoshopped version the turret was added, the pool was moved, the house was stretched, dormers were added and the mansion was moved so that it is a waterfront property…right on the ocean.

Ken October 28, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Oh, and don’t forget to choose the Bird’s Eye view from the drop down menu in Bing Maps. The house slightly above and to the right of the orange “pin” on the map.

Ken October 28, 2011 at 12:44 pm
Ken October 28, 2011 at 12:58 pm
hookedonhouses October 29, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Thanks for the links, Ken! That’s great.

Stephanie Durdan October 26, 2011 at 1:17 pm

This post reminds me of the time I was obsessed with a pair of chairs in Tom & Margo Hughes’ house on As The World Turns. I ended up contacting the design department at CBS in New York. They told me that they had just recovered some old chairs they had in a warehouse. They said they were really rickety old chairs, terribly uncomfortable and not worth much. I asked them to sell them to me if they ever stop using them but they said they’ll just store them & recover them again someday. They did give me the design name and manufacturer of the fabric they used. Armed with that knowledge, I looked and looked and looked some more for that same fabric but it had been discontinued. Thanks for making me recall this great memory! :-)

Another time I became obsessed with a red/green plaid couch featured in a Patty Duke movie. I looked for that couch forever. It was my dream couch. A few years after I stopped looking for it, I saw it in a furniture store window but couldn’t stop to check it out. Instead, I called them, bought it over the phone and had it delivered. LOVED that couch and the loveseat I bought to match, but it didn’t last as long as my search for it did. :-)

hookedonhouses October 26, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I love that you contacted the design department at CBS to track those chairs down!

belledame October 27, 2011 at 12:37 am

love the way she uses the chair like a throne, to hold court.

Patrick Lau November 3, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Shope Reno Wharton Associates, were the original architects to the house. Peter Cook added the round element to the house. Check out the photo at Shope Reno Wharton on facebook for the comparison…

Patrick Lau November 3, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Maybe Peter Cook didnt… but the original architect was SRW…

hookedonhouses November 3, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Thanks for correcting that, Patrick!

Here’s the Shope Reno Wharton website for anyone who would like to see their work: http://www.shoperenowharton.com/index.html

Julia November 4, 2011 at 11:21 am

I think the graphics department at Revenge did a better job. It’d be nice if someone from the show said something about ‘creating’ the Grayson Manor.

Julia November 4, 2011 at 11:38 am

Star News Online has cited your posts on the house. Apparently, for security reasons the ABC doesn’t want to say where the homes actually are.

hookedonhouses November 4, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Interesting! Thanks, Julia.

Susan November 6, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I love the pillows on the Grayson’s sofas (brown floral) – where can I find those?
Thank you!

hookedonhouses November 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Hmmm….I’m afraid I don’t know anything about the pillows. Does anyone else?

jouncyg January 21, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Actually, the flowered pillows look like you could use a toile type print, get a pillow form or recover some pillows. Keep looking at fabric stores for a similar fabric or look on site such as Calico Corners.
I did find the chair fabric at CC but you have to go into a store to purchase it. Hope to get there soon. Also…found a long pillow with Victoria’s chair fabric at Home Goods.
If anyone finds anything, please share the info. I will do the same.

joyce January 30, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I found a chair at Marshall’s today that has the same fabric. Took a picture but do not know how to attache it. The cost was $199.00 It was an arm chair with wood arms. Also, they had two lamps like the ones in Charlottes room for 29.99 each.

zelaya November 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm

We have done this chair for a couple of people since the show aired. We offer reupholstery or we can fabricate “New” Victorian Chair.

please email request to the zel718@aol.com

mogl November 30, 2011 at 10:40 pm

You can use Google Maps (satellite) to find the house ““located on the corner of Further Lane and Cross Highway in Amagansett”. To find it, type this number where the direction should go: 40.963608, -72.160649. It is a little north-east of the intersection in East Hampton at 253 Further Ln., East Hampton, NY 11937.

Kelsey December 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Southern Furniture Company has the exact chair with the fabric. Look at their website. You will have to order it through a supplier, like our store Armoires & Accents in San Antonio.

Southernfurniture.net to see the chair!

LinCryst January 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Does anyone have a floor plan for this house? I’d love to “build” it in Sims. I just love it!

Katya March 7, 2012 at 7:03 am

Hi everyone.

I am very impressed at the amount of work and research that this website gets! Keep up the great job, for all of us – house obsessed people out there.

My question is…. Does any own has any idea what porcelain and china is being used in Grayson´s manner? There a couple of tea sets I have noticed, one with very strong blue tower prints on it, and then there was one with what seemed like violets… Any hints would be appreciated!!!

allissa March 12, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I am trying to buy the same material as the chair in the show revenge, any one know where I can buy it from Sydney Australia, cheers

Susan March 15, 2012 at 12:24 am

I want to buy a bedspread like in Emily’s bedrooom. Does anyone know where to get it? Thanks!

Esme April 1, 2012 at 8:08 am

I saw one at Marshall’s in my area but it was 499 but looked more like the one on the show. High back. I’ll try to get a picture.

Lynn Sweeney April 22, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Yes Esme thats the one I saw, It was exactly like the one on the show. We’ve been calling all over the place, no luck yet. Yes, also at Marshall’s here in West Allis Wisconsin, Thats where I saw it. I should of styed sitting in it and called my husband from my cell phone, instead of walking away.

Ivana April 12, 2012 at 9:35 am

My husband surprised me this past weekend with that chair!
It is exactly like Victoria’s – from HomeGoods! I am in love with it!

Lynn Sweeney April 22, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Trying to find that chair!! Stupid me I did find the exact one at Home Goods in West Allis Wisconsin, and I walked away to find my Husband, and another woman took it while I was away. Does anyone know where I can find another chair like Victorias, with the High Back? I am so mad at myself, I even told that woman that I wass going to buy it, that I was just looking fo my Husband. Oh well, you snooze you loose!!!

Lynn Sweeney April 22, 2012 at 6:31 pm

The chair I saw was $499.00 High back thick cushion. Alot different than the $299.00 posted here. I’m so mad at myself for walking away. If anyone knows where I can find one, pleas e-mail me!!

sid May 3, 2012 at 6:45 pm
hookedonhouses May 4, 2012 at 6:31 am

Thanks, Sid!

mona vera May 5, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Hi…I am kind of late on the chair, but does anyone know where I could find one right now for a reasonable price?

Thanks.

Jillian May 6, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I bought a very similar chair with the same fabric about a month ago and then realized last week that it was Victoria’s chair!! I love it and it is so comfy! I got it from American Factory Direct in Baton Rouge, LA.

Jillian May 6, 2012 at 10:57 pm

They also make it in a turquoise color, in many different styles.

mona vera May 8, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Also does anyone know where you can find the bed that Charlotte has in her bedroom from last week’s episode on 5.2.12
Charcoal grey.

Thanks.

rose May 29, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Hello you can find the chair in that web site :

it’s called WING CHAIR IN A DOCUMENT PRINT LINEN

hookedonhouses May 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Thanks, Rose!

Brooke Reed June 6, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I just bought a very similar chair at home goods in Minnesota. Just like the one in Kathy’s picture, except tan with white writing.

Kate June 27, 2012 at 11:26 pm

The chair was made by a furniture business called Sorrento Furniture.

mona vera June 28, 2012 at 3:20 pm

omg thanks so much! i havent been able to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where Charlotte’s bed is from or can order something similar?
Thanks.

Daniel R MCMillion October 11, 2012 at 2:16 am

Thurston Wing Chair (in Document Brown) from Ballard Designs

Thats the chair they used

hookedonhouses October 11, 2012 at 6:18 am

Thanks, Daniel!

Leah October 26, 2012 at 12:15 am

The chair is definitely from Ballard, as are a lot of other things in that house. I noticed, however, that there are even more items from Ballard in Emily’s beach house. Almost the entire house is furnished from Ballard Designs! The sofas, rugs, accent chairs, and tables. I think for the Grayson Manor they mixed Ballard in with more high end choices. Love your website!

Carmin Bryan November 6, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I have about 12-15 yards of this fabric that I bought. Half is cut for curtains that is unsewn and the other half is sewn into curtains already. I would love to get rid of it should anybody want to buy it — email carminbryan@yahoo.com. The fabric is just sitting in my closet going to waste! Just saw the chair the other day at Dillard’s on sale for under $200!! And it was the dramatic shape like Victoria’s!

Aarika May 10, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Anyone know where I can find that tea cup Victoria is always drinking out of? Its blue and white. anyone?!

Julie May 11, 2013 at 12:21 am

I really love Charlotte’s girly but sophisticated bedroom. Can we get some pictures of that? In the most recent episode Emily is in there talking with Charlotte about some things and we get a pretty good view of the room. I love the color scheme, her bed frame and some of the sheets and other furnishings. Any ideas??

hookedonhouses May 11, 2013 at 8:26 am

I’ve posted about this house a few times. You can see Charlotte’s bedroom in this one:

Kevin May 13, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Haha, in the season 2 finale they used a shot from the real house without any CGI or Photoshop effects!
[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2w35089.png[/IMG]

hookedonhouses May 13, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Love that you caught that–thanks, Kevin!

Vanessa July 31, 2013 at 7:50 am
hookedonhouses July 31, 2013 at 9:09 am

It does! Thanks, Vanessa.

Charlestonbelle August 2, 2013 at 8:06 am

The chair and most of all the furnishings for Revenge were designed and purchased at Morris Sokol in downtown Charleston, SC.

{ 8 trackbacks }