Searching for Victoria’s Chair from the TV Show “Revenge”–and the Real Grayson Mansion

Ever since I posted photos of those fabulous Hamptons beach houses from the new TV drama “Revenge,” I’ve been getting emails about the chair in Victoria Grayson’s living room. Everyone wants to know where they can get one like it. Well, I had no idea. But then a couple of readers told me they found something similar at HomeGoods.

So, like Veronica Mars, I grabbed my camera (okay, my iPhone) and set out to investigate! This is what I found…

Sure enough, my local HomeGoods had a chair that was upholstered in a similar fabric. Here’s the photo I snapped of it:

It’s not as tall, and the shape of the chair itself isn’t as dramatic as Victoria’s, sadly, but hey. The price is right!

I bet Victoria paid more than $300 for hers. So if you’re one of those readers who told me you were desperate to find one like it, run–don’t walk!–to HomeGoods and see if they have any left. You know how fast their inventory turns over!

*This just in: Kathy tells me the one she found at HomeGoods is even closer to the one on the show, and she sent me a photo:

Kathy says, “Orig. $899; HG price $499.99; my clearance price $349.00!” Wow! She bought it before “Revenge” premiered. I imagine they’re a lot harder to come by now that Victoria made it famous!

She adds that she found the matching footstool at Steinmart and the matching pillow at Ballard Designs. (Thanks, Kathy!)

On a side note, I haven’t been happy with the photos my new iPhone takes. They’re all a little blurry as you can tell from these that I took of this chair. I was complaining about it to my husband Dave, who looked it over and said, “Well, it might work better if you took the plastic film off the back of the phone first.” D’oh!

If you know where to find a chair that looks more like Victoria’s, let us know! (Check the comments–lots of readers have spotted lookalikes and tell us where to find them!)

Oh, and for everyone who has written to ask where the real exterior of the Grayson mansion is located, I have been told by several sources that it was based on a real house (or houses), but most of it was Photoshopped. That would explain why it’s been so hard to track it down! Here’s how it looks on TV:

KatD tells me that they based it on a house designed by architect Peter Cook and then made it bigger for TV. They also added things like the solarium on the back. Here’s the model of it that she referred me to:

But Jim Wolfe tells me the house they based it on is “located on the corner of Further Lane and Cross Highway in Amagansett. They just stretched it, moved the pool and added a few extras.” Those of you who are familiar with that area will have to let us know if you’ve seen the one he means.

He pointed me to this photo of it (via Just Not Said):

In other words, the Grayson house probably doesn’t exist. The one we see on the show is very possibly based on one or two real properties, but most of it appears to be TV magic. (If you know differently, fill us in!)

By the way, Emily’s real beach house is in NC (not the Hamptons):

Emily Thorne’s Beach House in Revenge, with a Behind-the-Scenes Video Tour.

You can see more photos of the “Revenge” beach houses here.

Property Brothers Drew and Jonathan HGTV
If you watch HGTV, then you've probably noticed that they've been trying to freshen up their image and attract younger viewers with new shows like…
American Horror Story Murder House 1120 Westchester For Sale
This old house is haunted and known as "Murder House" on the TV show American Horror Story, but in real life it's the stately Rosenheim…

Comments

1. Neal Dodson says

Julia,
    I believe that chair is available at Restoration Hardware.
    Neal Dodson

2. CLange says

The fabric from the chair is available from Ballard Designs. It’s called Document. I searched Ballard for a matching chair but I didn’t see one that was a perfect match. I love the interiors on that show!

3. beth gilmore says

love the chair, love the house and love your great job Giulia!thank you!

I’ve never seen this show…I’ve been out of the country, LOL!, but I would watch it just for the house and decor!
    Love that chair, the Homegoods version would be just the right size for my not too big house. I’m fighting the urge to go buy it!

If one is a handy kind of person, they can DIY, there are lots of similar fabrics by the yard….

As a side note, if you think the chair looks fabulous in this fabric, think what a bed would look like! There is an antique shop nearby called Glory Days Antiques, where one of the sellers took an antique bed and upholstered it in the French Script fabric. It’s simply stunning and I always want to purchase it every time I go in there. But alas, I have no room for it.

If one cannot purchase the chair, I did find a floor cushion to match:

6. sharron says

LOVe the show..that chair and yes I think that is the same house in the listing!!
    I would love to live in it!!
    tfs!

7. Marci says

HomeGoods actually has one that looks even more similar than the one you found there. In fact, I think it is nearly identical! They have a few different styles of chairs in the French script….

8. diana says

Love that chair… thanks for the scoop…. but most of all love your humor and the anecdote ab leaving the film on the camera… sounds exactly like my life… still laughing.

9. Nathan says

I love the style of the chair and the fabric. I fell in love with a canvas/burlap wrapped dresser with the same sort of style.
    And thanks for your previous post on this show. That caused me to watch the show and it is now my favourite show of the season. Thanks!

10. Kathy says

That is not the chair! However I did buy the exact one (high modified wingback) at Homegoods in Tampa, Florida. Orig. $899; HG price $499.99; my clearance price $349.00! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

11. laney says

…do not know anything about this show…but i do know about southport nc…the place where the beach house is suppose to be…southport is the most wonderful little town on the cape fear river…across from bald head island …my family was blessed to spend 29 summers not far from southport…while this newer house is lovely…the old historic homes will take your breath away…love love love southport…

12. Kim says

What a neat looking chair. The one you found and the ones your readers found look so similar. What great finds.

Those houses do look like the ones they used for the show. Pretty cool.

13. Elaine says

There was a movie on Hallmark last night 10/23 called Edge of Garden. There was the cutest cottage with beautiful gardens. Do you have any insight on this house?

• DJ says

We know you will soon have the info on this cottage – Right ? I absolutely love, love this site. Every time I ramble through it there is something I find that makes me squeal !!!

That chair is really gorgeous, both the Home Goods version and Victoria’s. Revenge is such a good show! Thanks for this post, Julia!

What is it about that chair? Yes, the hubby and I are hooked on it -thanks to On Demand we watched the 4 episodes last weekend. Love it. Great show, finally not a another bloody crime show. Of course I love the houses and interiors too. Isn’t it funny how it can be a set or location which draws us in as much as the show?

Hi Julia,
    We have a beach house across Peconic Bay from the Hamptons, and while I don’t watch the TV show you mentioned, I was in the local (Riverhead, NY) HomeGoods this past weekend when we were at our shore house — and they had that chair, the wingback one with that fabric, for $499. I had no idea it was famous.

My husband tried it, as I thought it was cute, but he said it was too “squooshy” to sit in. But… it still is VERY cute, and SO close to the Hamptons — maybe the set designer found it there. :-)

Cass

17. Jared says

Now that you mention it, it does look photoshopped. Especially the pool and cabana area, it doesn’t look real! Its always so disappointing to find out our favorite TV or Hollywood houses aren’t real. Its like seeing a super hero out of costume!

18. Richard Orton says

Victoria Grayson sits in that chair like it is a throne. Great staging like this is part of what makes this the best new show of the season. But for me, the best part of the chair is the fabric. I used that same fabric last year when I had my old Milo Baughman chair re-upholstered. My club chair with a chrome base has a very different look from the wing chair in Victoria’s house but it looks good. In this link you can see the chair before and after… http://www.flickr.com/photos/7384797@N02/5420830862/

• kasey says

Your chair looks awesome! I love it, the document fabric goes so well with the chrome. It also looks very comfortable.

I agree on the staging re Victoria & her “throne” — it was one of the first comments I made to a friend about the show. The synergy between story, character & staging/production design is some of the best I’ve seen on TV in a while.

19. Joy says

Great Job Julia, That does look like the Grayson house there in Amaganssett. Awsome. !!

20. Lisa says

Has anyone seen the beautiful interiors on American Horror Story? Wondering if it’s an actual home or a set??

21. Rachel says

I noticed her headboard before the chair (they’re very similar fabric if not the same) and recognized it from being from pier one and THEN I saw the chair. I can’t find a picture to compare the two online and pier one doesn’t let you get a close up of the fabric. However, I thought I’d share the link. From far away the fabric doesn’t look the same, but I’ve seen it in person and it’s really cute.

This post reminds me of the time I was obsessed with a pair of chairs in Tom & Margo Hughes’ house on As The World Turns. I ended up contacting the design department at CBS in New York. They told me that they had just recovered some old chairs they had in a warehouse. They said they were really rickety old chairs, terribly uncomfortable and not worth much. I asked them to sell them to me if they ever stop using them but they said they’ll just store them & recover them again someday. They did give me the design name and manufacturer of the fabric they used. Armed with that knowledge, I looked and looked and looked some more for that same fabric but it had been discontinued. Thanks for making me recall this great memory! :-)

Another time I became obsessed with a red/green plaid couch featured in a Patty Duke movie. I looked for that couch forever. It was my dream couch. A few years after I stopped looking for it, I saw it in a furniture store window but couldn’t stop to check it out. Instead, I called them, bought it over the phone and had it delivered. LOVED that couch and the loveseat I bought to match, but it didn’t last as long as my search for it did. :-)

Shope Reno Wharton Associates, were the original architects to the house. Peter Cook added the round element to the house. Check out the photo at Shope Reno Wharton on facebook for the comparison…

24. Julia says

Star News Online has cited your posts on the house. Apparently, for security reasons the ABC doesn’t want to say where the homes actually are.

25. Susan says

I love the pillows on the Grayson’s sofas (brown floral) – where can I find those?
    Thank you!

• jouncyg says

Actually, the flowered pillows look like you could use a toile type print, get a pillow form or recover some pillows. Keep looking at fabric stores for a similar fabric or look on site such as Calico Corners.
        I did find the chair fabric at CC but you have to go into a store to purchase it. Hope to get there soon. Also…found a long pillow with Victoria’s chair fabric at Home Goods.
        If anyone finds anything, please share the info. I will do the same.

• joyce says

I found a chair at Marshall’s today that has the same fabric. Took a picture but do not know how to attache it. The cost was $199.00 It was an arm chair with wood arms. Also, they had two lamps like the ones in Charlottes room for 29.99 each.

26. zelaya says

We have done this chair for a couple of people since the show aired. We offer reupholstery or we can fabricate “New” Victorian Chair.

please email request to the zel718@aol.com

27. mogl says

You can use Google Maps (satellite) to find the house ““located on the corner of Further Lane and Cross Highway in Amagansett”. To find it, type this number where the direction should go: 40.963608, -72.160649. It is a little north-east of the intersection in East Hampton at 253 Further Ln., East Hampton, NY 11937.

28. Kelsey says

Southern Furniture Company has the exact chair with the fabric. Look at their website. You will have to order it through a supplier, like our store Armoires & Accents in San Antonio.

Southernfurniture.net to see the chair!

29. LinCryst says

Does anyone have a floor plan for this house? I’d love to “build” it in Sims. I just love it!

30. Katya says

Hi everyone.

I am very impressed at the amount of work and research that this website gets! Keep up the great job, for all of us – house obsessed people out there.

My question is…. Does any own has any idea what porcelain and china is being used in Grayson´s manner? There a couple of tea sets I have noticed, one with very strong blue tower prints on it, and then there was one with what seemed like violets… Any hints would be appreciated!!!

31. allissa says

I am trying to buy the same material as the chair in the show revenge, any one know where I can buy it from Sydney Australia, cheers

32. Susan says

I want to buy a bedspread like in Emily’s bedrooom. Does anyone know where to get it? Thanks!

33. Esme says

I saw one at Marshall’s in my area but it was 499 but looked more like the one on the show. High back. I’ll try to get a picture.

• Lynn Sweeney says

Yes Esme thats the one I saw, It was exactly like the one on the show. We’ve been calling all over the place, no luck yet. Yes, also at Marshall’s here in West Allis Wisconsin, Thats where I saw it. I should of styed sitting in it and called my husband from my cell phone, instead of walking away.

34. Ivana says

My husband surprised me this past weekend with that chair!
    It is exactly like Victoria’s – from HomeGoods! I am in love with it!

35. Lynn Sweeney says

Trying to find that chair!! Stupid me I did find the exact one at Home Goods in West Allis Wisconsin, and I walked away to find my Husband, and another woman took it while I was away. Does anyone know where I can find another chair like Victorias, with the High Back? I am so mad at myself, I even told that woman that I wass going to buy it, that I was just looking fo my Husband. Oh well, you snooze you loose!!!

36. Lynn Sweeney says

The chair I saw was $499.00 High back thick cushion. Alot different than the $299.00 posted here. I’m so mad at myself for walking away. If anyone knows where I can find one, pleas e-mail me!!

37. mona vera says

Hi…I am kind of late on the chair, but does anyone know where I could find one right now for a reasonable price?

Thanks.

38. Jillian says

I bought a very similar chair with the same fabric about a month ago and then realized last week that it was Victoria’s chair!! I love it and it is so comfy! I got it from American Factory Direct in Baton Rouge, LA.

39. Jillian says

They also make it in a turquoise color, in many different styles.

40. mona vera says

Also does anyone know where you can find the bed that Charlotte has in her bedroom from last week’s episode on 5.2.12
    Charcoal grey.

Thanks.

41. Brooke Reed says

I just bought a very similar chair at home goods in Minnesota. Just like the one in Kathy’s picture, except tan with white writing.

42. Kate says

The chair was made by a furniture business called Sorrento Furniture.

• mona vera says

omg thanks so much! i havent been able to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where Charlotte’s bed is from or can order something similar?
      Thanks.

43. Daniel R MCMillion says

Thurston Wing Chair (in Document Brown) from Ballard Designs

Thats the chair they used

44. Leah says

The chair is definitely from Ballard, as are a lot of other things in that house. I noticed, however, that there are even more items from Ballard in Emily’s beach house. Almost the entire house is furnished from Ballard Designs! The sofas, rugs, accent chairs, and tables. I think for the Grayson Manor they mixed Ballard in with more high end choices. Love your website!

45. Carmin Bryan says

I have about 12-15 yards of this fabric that I bought. Half is cut for curtains that is unsewn and the other half is sewn into curtains already. I would love to get rid of it should anybody want to buy it — email carminbryan@yahoo.com. The fabric is just sitting in my closet going to waste! Just saw the chair the other day at Dillard’s on sale for under $200!! And it was the dramatic shape like Victoria’s!

46. Aarika says

Anyone know where I can find that tea cup Victoria is always drinking out of? Its blue and white. anyone?!

47. Julie says

I really love Charlotte’s girly but sophisticated bedroom. Can we get some pictures of that? In the most recent episode Emily is in there talking with Charlotte about some things and we get a pretty good view of the room. I love the color scheme, her bed frame and some of the sheets and other furnishings. Any ideas??

48. Kevin says

Haha, in the season 2 finale they used a shot from the real house without any CGI or Photoshop effects!
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2w35089.png[/IMG]

49. Charlestonbelle says

The chair and most of all the furnishings for Revenge were designed and purchased at Morris Sokol in downtown Charleston, SC.