HGTV’s Fall and Winter Lineup: More Character-Driven Series and Reality Competitions Coming Our Way

by hookedonhouses on October 17, 2011

If you watch HGTV, then you’ve probably noticed that they’ve been trying to freshen up their image and attract younger viewers with new shows like Home by Novogratz while ditching old standbys like Designed to Sell (long-time HGTV staple Clive Pearse went with it).

An HGTV press release announces that new shows like Property Brothers, Dina’s Party, and Home by Novogratz have been so successful that they’re expanding their lineup to include “more character-driven series, design reality competitions and entertaining specials with voyeuristic appeal.” Here’s what else it says we’ve got to look forward to:

HGTV’S FALL/WINTER PROGRAMMING OFFERS MORE PEEPING & PERSONALITIES

NEW YORK, N.Y. (For Immediate Release)

Production is underway for more than thirty new series and specials as well as new episodes of popular returning series, including Design on a Dime, Property Brothers and Selling NY.

Junk Gypsies (Sneak Peek Sunday, November 27)
Designers Amie Sikes and Jolie Sikes take their unusual design philosophy on a special mission to find “junk” and use it to transform homes.

Junk Gypsies

Design Wars
The new elimination-competition that pits three interior designers against each other in a battle of design wits to win over one homeowner. The ultimate winner will go on to makeover a room in the lucky owner’s home.

Interiors Inc.
Eight talented designers led by Jonathan Pierce at the Nashville design firm Pierce and Company collaborate to create stunning room makeovers for clients such as Leann Rimes, Eddie Cibrian and Danny Gokey.

White Room Challenge
It’s everyone’s favorite episode of HGTV Design Star, and now it’s a series all its own! David Bromstad hosts up-and-coming designers from around the country as they compete to create the most original, eccentric and outrageous White Rooms you’ve ever seen. Jamie Durie heads the expert judging panel which will award the grand prize of $10,000 cash.

David Bromstad

My First Renovation
A documentary series that takes an unvarnished look at the realities of homeowners going through a first time renovation.

Weekends with Luis
Miami-based contractor Luis Bosch helps homeowners tackle a weekend project that they’ve always wanted to take on, but didn’t know how to start.

Kitchen Cousins
Anthony Carrino and John Colaneri, designers/contractors and cousins, run a New Jersey-based, family construction company, and building dream kitchens is their passion. The cousins will remodel desperately troubled kitchens — turning each one into a work of art.

Kitchen Cousins: John Colaneri & Anthony Carrino

Selling LA
Follow three groups of brokers from the real estate firms Valerie Fitzgerald Group, Keller Williams and Hilton & Hyland as they build up their roster of millionaire clients, tour spectacular properties, and network their way through the competitive world of high-end real estate.

My House, Your Money
Watch what happens when prospective home buyers turn to extended family members for financial help in order to land their dream home.

They also have lots of specials planned, like HGTV Urban Oasis Giveaway 2011 and Hollywood at Home. Check HGTV.com for programming dates and times.

Do you like any of the new shows that started airing this year? Any of these that you’re excited to see? Or are you like the readers who tell me, “I still miss Matt and Shari!” and “I wish they’d bring Joan Steffend back”?

Connie in Hartwood October 17, 2011 at 7:05 am

What troubles me, when each new season of shows comes out, is that there is no “G” left on HGTV at all … and there hasn’t been any for years.

Lisa Marie October 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I agree. I miss the gardening show like Gardeners Journal, Gardeners diary. Was that the name of it? It has been so long.
All the new shows will be more shows of things the average person can’t afford to do or aren’t able to do themselves.

jennie w. October 17, 2011 at 7:35 am

If the Junk Gypsies are like their shop at Round Top, TX then we’re in for a treat. Speaking of which, you need to come on down to Round Top, the biggest Antiques Fair in the country. It will blow your mind. (Next one is in April.)

Amanda @ Serenity Now October 17, 2011 at 7:39 am

I love the White Room challenge, so a show built around the concept could be really fun. :)

karen@strictlysimplestyle October 17, 2011 at 7:40 am

I’m so glad to see that HGTV is freshening up the line up. Every time I’ve turned on the channel for the past year all I ever see is episode after episode of House Hunters and Property Virgins.

A.Men October 18, 2011 at 8:19 am

Reruns of boring formula house series. I scream when I land on Property Virgins when channel surfing — mocking newcomers with her arrogant, uppity tone. I’d like a series that shows the viewers and contestants some RESPECT!

Heidi Reeves November 11, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I totally agree, with the housing business gone to the pitts, what is up with showing 500,000 and up houses…it’s boring and all of them are reruns for this past year.

Autumn February 18, 2012 at 8:33 am

AMEN to that comment. Even when they make the rare new show; they are not about blue color people.

Autumn February 18, 2012 at 8:34 am

sorry: * blue collar people

JT June 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I agree. I would go so further and say that I am sick and tired of seeing House Hunters lineup. I am weary of the others as well and almost stopped watching HGTV altogether. I miss the older shows such as If Walls Could Talk or Cash in the Attic. Suffice it to say, as soon as they quit airing reality programs, I will resume watching again. I have had it w/HGTV and all the other reality garbage.

Nouveau Stitch October 17, 2011 at 7:42 am

I can honestly say there isn’t one new show listed that will cause me to locate HGTV on my cable TV channel lineup. Hasn’t been for years.

Autumn 56 October 17, 2011 at 9:57 am

Mine is waning by the day. A&E has some simular shows; while maybe not as big of a budget ; but at least common sense.

Signe V October 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I completely agree with you Nouveau Stitch and Autumn 56. I haven’t watched HGTV in years. Part of me keeps hoping they’ll come up with something TRULY fresh (right now they’re just mimicking what’s on all the other ridiculous channels). It all feels very artificial and manipulative. I guess I’ll keep watching A&E.

Sharon October 17, 2011 at 7:53 am

Really enjoy Donna Decorates Dallas. HGTV used to have some quality and decorating shows (years ago), but they have been replaced with a never ending stream of house hunters (an overdose that forces me to go to other channels). Please HGTV, bring us more quality decorating shows.

Autumn 56 October 17, 2011 at 10:07 am

HGTV: The key word here, if you will listen: QUALITY

Sharon October 17, 2011 at 7:59 am

Bye the way, I absolutely would love to see property virgins taken off the air. As a realtor, I can say this is such a misrepresentation of the real world of real estate. HATE this show!!

Autumn 56 October 17, 2011 at 9:59 am

I am really “into” real estate so would you please give a bit more detail? I know from a house buyer’s point of view it seems unrealistic to my experiences. :>)

cheryl kimble January 8, 2012 at 2:07 am

Yeah, I agree. Most of the realtors I’ve dealt with are horrible. They are not advocates for their clients, get bored and stop working with you if you don’t buy right away and with the rise of the internet, let you do all the work.

Realtors are not placeholders or tour guides. They are professionals and are there to provide advice and counseling.

All of which Sandra does. She’s my kind of realtor!

Linda September 24, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I agree! I have dealt with realtors across the country with plenty of relocations, and most were horrible and not watching out for our best interest. I wish I could find someone like Sandra for our next move!

Candy Carter January 31, 2012 at 3:41 am

Sharon, if you hate Property Virgins then I suggest you don’t watch it. It’s just a fun show to watch. Most of the people in the United States and Canada have bought homes before and know that this show doesn’t represent how things are done. I think they do the best they can in a 1/2 an hour. I’m just going to miss our old host. The new one they are bringing in better be as good as the old one that was hosting for about 8 years.

Brenda October 17, 2011 at 8:02 am

I love HGTV but the past several years there was very little about “home decorating”. I loved the old format and taped it every day to watch when I came home from work. Now, I just look forward to Divine Design, which is one of the better shows.

Heidi Reeves November 11, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Me too Brenda it is a travisty.

lisak October 17, 2011 at 8:25 am

Can’t say I miss Joan S or Matt and Shari, but I don’t enjoy Donna Decorates Dallas or Selling NY or Home by Novogratz at all. I enjoyed Designed to Sell and similar shows. Love Candice of course. Really liked Kenneth Brown. Tired of David Bromstad. I agree they need to freshen up a bit, but I think they’ve gone over the top with the newer shows.

Magda October 17, 2011 at 8:33 am

Why does everything have to be so gimmick-driven? I can see the need for some new series, since I’ve basically stopped watching HGTV during prime time when the only thing that seemed to be showing was some variation of House Hunters. But having siblings, married couples, dwarfs or what have you doing design is not intrinsically interesting unless, you know, the design work is good. Oh, and the Novogratzes are insufferable.

Kelly October 17, 2011 at 8:53 am

I’m interested in Selling LA as I love selling NY! I have to admit, that’s about the only show I watch on HGTV other than any of the Sarah Richardson shows, which are almost always very good. I agree with others that most of the shows are gimmicky and stupid! I’m so tired of the ” lets decorate he whole house on a $200 budget” schtick with all this crappy looking DIY that looks terrible! Bring on more real life decorating, gardening and real estate shows. Also, how about some sort of biography show about famous designers?

Beverly from Montreal October 18, 2011 at 4:58 am

Selling NY is my favorite show on HGTV. So much fun to watch the dynamics between the real estate brokers and their clients and of course having the Big Apple as the main star doesn’t hurt either.

Autumn February 18, 2012 at 8:47 am

LOL I am laughing because I feel the same way!! AMEN!! I cannot stand “Design on a Dime.” No explanation necessary. :>)

Sharon October 17, 2011 at 8:56 am

I DO miss Matt and Shari and their slant on traditional style! Some of us still like that, you know. Also miss Decorating Sense, especially the part where they move all the furniture and accessories in one room around to get a totally different look – for free. I love Decorating New York because it’s a look at a completely different life-style, but hate the Novogratzes. Who wants that style anyway? Some of the new shows look interesting, others, not so much. Wish HGTV could get the right combo of shows going.

Margot October 18, 2011 at 10:18 am

That last five minutes of Joan Steffand’s show was my favorite part. I loved seeing how the decorator completely rearranged the room – no-cost decorating. I would like to see more of that type of show – use what you have decorating. I think people would enjoy the ideas for changing your look without spending money – especially in this economy! I can’t stand “Holmes on Homes.” I’m really tired of “Property Virgins.”

MimiG October 17, 2011 at 9:00 am

I concur about not enjoying Donna Decorates Dallas or Selling NY or Home by Novogratz. And Design Wars sounds like a remake of Designers Challenge (with Chris Harrison). I am so over David Bromstad, he’s like Guy on Food Network to me – drives me crazy and not in a good way.
So many of the designers on the current shows now seem to think their clients are stupid and don’t know what they want; they don’t seem to listen to the client, it’s all about what the designer wants…

Sunny October 17, 2011 at 9:35 am

I forgot about Matt & Shari…hokey, but admittedly sorta fun. Hate the Design on a Dime, cheapy type shows with low budgets. So NOT inspirational.

The shows I miss are a couple of the Canadian ones. I loved The Stagers! And I really liked that curly haired Columbian/Jewish real estate woman….oh yeah, it was called The Property Shop! I also liked that LA mother/daughter real estate team who originally appeared on Design to Sell. These shows disappear so quickly.

Right now I like Secrets of a Stylist and Sarah 101 best. I think they appeal to me because they use both vintage and new merchandise in their makeovers. Color Splash is fun, but mostly because I like HIM. Yeah, as others have said, Property Virgins & House Hunters are really tired. I’d really like some sort of auction house show. Oooh or a show like the Food Network’s ‘Best Thing I Ever Ate’ but with all the HGTV designers highlighting their favorite design sources.

The new shows you’ve listed fail to quicken my pulse, but who knows? The Junk Gypsies are fun, but really one note. We’ll see. Thanks for the preview!

Denice

Autumn 56 October 17, 2011 at 10:16 am

Property Shop is on once a week at 7am I believe on Thusdays. The Stagers can be seen at the HGTV we site. Click on “Episodes” and all of the shows are listed in alphabetical order . Property Shop is not available though. :<(

Caddylou October 18, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Property Shop is on Friday mornings at 7:30 a.m. ET.

Autumn 56 October 17, 2011 at 9:52 am

I can honestly say that not one of the new shoes will be anything I will watch. Prperty Brothers is disgusting; the “brothers” seem pushy and arrogent. I watched “Dina does Parties” (or whatever the name is) and “Donna does Dallas ” and disliked both of them Unrealistic to put in mildly. I like a real estsae show or two; but I have always wondered about some of them (I know aboutHouse Hunters and designed to sell)
Candice and Genevieve are classic favorites. Sell this House and My First Sale got old Fast. My demographic: A young 55 yr. old. Quickly losing interest in HGTV and I am one who used to watch it 12 hours a day. Not anymore.

PS: My life now is “Hooked on Houses!!”

k8wma February 10, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Nice spelling.

Autumn February 18, 2012 at 8:55 am

. Maybe once I get used to using this braille keyboard there won’t be so many mistakes. Sorry if that offended you.

JT June 15, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. I am sick of HGTV altogether. I miss the older shows when they focused on decorating with a budget (esp. now in this economy! Who do they think they are kidding with the pricey stuff they now promote?!) As soon as they quit airing ALL these reality garbage programs, I might begin watching HGTV again but not a moment too soon. They need to prove themselves once again and need to stick with what they originally intended: to help home owners with gardening, decorating, etc. In short, HGTV needs a dose of reality themselves. Sorry, can you tell I’m hacked? Honestly… I am utterly disgusted with what HGTV has grown to become. Enough is enough!

Cindy October 17, 2011 at 10:13 am

I would LOVE to see more Sarah Richardson shows! I really enjoyed her! I also have to agree that HGTV has lost the ‘garden’ and found the ‘gimmick’. Ugh.

It also seems like they find something that isn’t so bad and then they beat it into the ground. Ugh x2.

The biggest thing I would like to see is variety. In style. In targeted age demographic. In cost. In skill level. And Sarah Richardson, bring her back and I will be a happy camper. LOL

Dawn@EventuallyCottage October 17, 2011 at 11:14 am

I agree…{love} Sarah Richardson!!!

Autumn 56 October 17, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Me too!! I forgot to mention her earlier!

Erik January 6, 2012 at 1:37 am

I agree. Sarah is my all-time favorite. Never get tired of her shows. I’m also loving the Kitchen Cousins. I like to watch those boys work.

Rick October 17, 2011 at 10:20 am

I am afraid they are losing my interest. I don’t follow most “contest shows”. I may watch last 2 shows. I usually miss a few, so why bother. I love Mike Holmes’ shows and some of the others showing home improvements with realistic budgets and timelines. I wonder how many people really get the best outcome if you redo your yard in 2 days. Where is the planning stage?
I don’t mind a bigger budget shown to gett ideas but I don’t know how many people honestly would spend $10,000-$25,000 on furniture for 1 room. I like seeing how people can take some of what they have and add to it and make it work.

Maybe that is why the blogs I follow get my attention. A whole lot of real, practical,
and comfortable. I can see many ideas, or variations, in my own home.

JL October 17, 2011 at 10:21 am

Interiors Inc. sounds like it has potential, but I’d rather watch Sarah Richardson, who is a known quantity and for years has had a show that sounds exactly like that one. Why reinvent the wheel?

I may like Kitchen Cousins as well, but the rest sound like a pass. I’ve been very disappointed by most of HGTV’s programming for a while now, the only exceptions being Curb Appeal the Block, Secrets of a Stylist, Sarah 101, anything by Candice Olson. I also occasionally catch Bang for Your Buck, which I primarily enjoy as a decorating voyeur. As Autumn 56 said (I’m in the same demographic), I used to watch it 12 hours a day and now I tend to catch it only early in the morning when old shows are aired and on Saturdays when interesting shows come on–and hardly anyone is watching.

Dawn@EventuallyCottage October 17, 2011 at 11:10 am

I guess I’m old school…I miss Matt and Shari and Joan Steffend. ):

JT June 15, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I’m with you completely!

shabbymama October 17, 2011 at 11:16 am

I like the Brothers..and am SOOOO looking forward to Junk Gypsies! I hope it does well!
I loved the Novogratz’ first show but last season the revamped one was so/so in my book.
Kitchen Cousins sounds fun as does White Room with David ..I really like him and his shows!
I love to watch selling NY so if LA is that over the top I will tune in just for the $$$ shock factor!!
I will also tune into Interiors Inc. & Hollywood Homes just to see what different celebs styles are!
I don’t like the weekend projects or makeover shows or the team makeover shows.
The results are usually so out there and tacky.
I loved Dress my Nest too with Thom Filicia but i think that was a different network.
Thanks for the heads up on the new lineup!

Norma McGee October 17, 2011 at 11:23 am

My favorite is still Candice Olson,I’ve watched her for so many years now.Sarah
Richardson starts her new show on Tuesday night,her and Tommy are always a joy to watch and see what the two of them get into this season. Can’t wait to see the new show.

C.C. & Roxy October 17, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Does anyone remember National Open House? I LOVED that show! I would take that over House Hunters any day. Property Virgins has to go. Sandra Rinomato is annoying and the majority of the episodes seemed to be filmed in Toronto, where all the houses/condos look the same. HGTV needs more realistic shows, like anything by Sarah Richardson!
HGTV should have one of their “contest” shows where people compete to create their own show idea! I think viewers could do a much better job than whoever is coming up with their current lineup.

Kim October 17, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Yes I loved that show. It was so much fun getting a peek inside people’s homes.

Autumn 56 October 17, 2011 at 6:00 pm

You can watch the old reruns of National Open House on your PC. Go to the HGTV page; click on TV shows; then click on Full Epsodes and you will find it there. All of the shows are list alphabetically. I would like to see some current :National Open House shows..since the Market fell.

Michelle October 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I don’t understand the Kitchen Cousins concept… Doesn’t fall under Home or Garden at all. The Novogratz style is horrendous, at best.

I like the older style gardening shows they used to have. What happened to those? And of course Sarah Richardson, Candice Olson, and I like Genevieve Gorter’s portion where she shares a reader’s real-life issues on her show.

HGTV needs to appeal to the real American. The one that isn’t hiring Dina or spending millions on decorating. Those people aren’t watching HGTV for design inspiration anyway!

Sharon Kelly October 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Hello Julia…yes, I do like the line up of new shows. However, some of my favorites that have gone by the wayside is My House is Worth What? (Which btw I saw about 2 weeks ago while vacationing in St. Lucia) I know, you’re wondering why in the world am I watching HGTV while on vacation? Well, it was at the end of the day near bedtime. I loved Designers’ Challenge, which may still come on but I cannot seem to find anymore. It appeas that Design Wars may be similar to Designers’ Challenge. I also love Bang for your Buck, that still comes on but not as frequently as it used to. One show I used to love was what I think was called Vacation homes, similar to house hunters. I really like Showhouse, Showdown, Showdown.

Lola October 17, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I’ll give the new shows a chance. Like others, I’m watching HGTV less these days. I still love Candice, like Design Star, and I liked Kristin on Design on a Dime. I tried to like the Novogratz show because I find them to be interesting people, but I don’t care for their finished products. The show I’ll turn off every time is Donna Decorates Dallas. Tacky and garish.
I used to like David Bromstad, but his style has gone bizarre. I’ve also o.d.’d on House Hunters.
I’d stay away from the unrealistic realty type shows.
(And I loved Joan Steffend!)

Mary Catherine Sears October 17, 2011 at 1:34 pm

The only shows from HGTV that I record are Design Star, anything by Sarah Richardson, and anything by Candice. I would love to see a new show for Sarah…she is the BEST!

Maddie October 17, 2011 at 1:35 pm

One more reason not to watch HGTV, it was the only reason why I kept my cable subscription. I miss seeing quality decorating that was instructive. Sarah Richardson is the only reason to watch, and they can’t run her show 24/7. Why does it always have to be cheap and weird decorating competion? I loved Joe Ruggiero, Kitty Bartholomew, Rachel Ashwell, etc. I used to love Candace Olson, but now I can predict exactly what every family room/basement will have (i.e. glitzy fake fireplace–I guess its a Canadian thing). Perhaps we need a new decorating/gardening network or I can just stop watching and get back to painting the guest room.

Autumn February 18, 2012 at 9:03 am

I could not have said it better!

Kim October 17, 2011 at 1:37 pm

None of these shows appeal to me at all and I will not be tuning in to watch them. I stopped watching HGTV a couple years ago because the shows have gotten so boring. I miss the shows “If Walls Could Talk”, “Designers Challenge”, “Spice up my Kitchen”, “Save my bath” and more. I use to watch “Divine Design”, but the ones they air are usually reruns so I stopped watching it.

Kim October 17, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I also loved it when they would have countdowns. Like they did one of the nicest kitchens. If they aired some of those, I would watch.

JT June 15, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Those were my favorites as well. And Cash in the Attic. I grew tired of seeing Candice always doing the same thing over and over. Not a whole lot of imagination. HGTV needs to help come up with imaginative ideas on decorating or renovating within a budget, not create more debt. We need back Joan Stephan and others like her old show.

mtm October 17, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I know they need to build an audience, but most of the HGTV shows are so middle of the road. Where are the real designers?? Where is the risk?? What about series on great designers, architects, landscape architects?? And not to be a East Coast/West Coast snob, but since when are Canada, Nashville and god-forbid DALLAS, design hubs??

Seriously, I thought Donna Does Dallas was a comedy!

Melissa October 17, 2011 at 2:18 pm

HGTV has a few interesting shows that I really enjoy (Antonio Ballatore, Homes by Novogratz, etc.) What I don’t understand is their programming schedule. The good shows seem to come on weekend nights, then good luck ever seeing them again. Why not re-run these shows during the weeknights instead of House Hunters? It seems like every time I flip to HGTV that show is on! What’s up with that???

I’m excited to see Junk Gypsies and I agree with one of the other commenters. What’s happened to the “G” in HGTV?

Erin October 17, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I toally miss Design Cents!!!!!! Joan Steffend was a great host!! Matt and Sheri were a bunch of cheese balls with a dated design sense but they did have a lot of useful tips.

Ashley October 17, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I haven’t watched much of the decorating shows on HGTV because they don’t really appeal to my tastes. I’m into more subdued color palettes, and a lot of the design-on-a-budget shows use such bright, almost overbearing colors schemes that I don’t get anything out of. I steer more toward the reno-based shows, so I’m liking Property Brothers (though I wish the show were an hour so that we could learn more how-to. It seems like it jumps from design to done pretty quickly without much in between). Holmes Inspection is great for learning what to look for in a property, and I enjoyed the All-American Handyman Challenge while it lasted.

Dee October 17, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I don’t like any of the new shows. I watch the House Hunters International, although most of them now have been rerun for about the 50th time. I love Sarah Richardson (and Tommy!) and Candice Olson. I also liked the income property show and the color confidential. I love Sabrina Soto, but think she needed a different concept. I loved Color Splash before David Bromsted moved back to Miami and we lost Danielle and Ian. And what did they do with Carter Oosterhouse? I didn’t really care what show he was on…I just liked to look at him! LOL! I don’t watch much HGTV any more with these new shows, and I used to have it on from the time I got home from work until bedtime and all day and night on the weekends. Oh well. Guess I have ‘aged out’.

Andrea @ Big Creek Cottage October 17, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I am always a HGTV fan…but I am with you…I still miss Joan and Kitty B…remember her….I have one of her books and still lOVE it…….I do enjoy several of the new shows…I like the property brothers….(even though those silly home buyers should know those first houses are WAY out of their price range…)…I love Genevieve….her makeovers are always fantastic in my book….and Sarah R….I could watch her shows over and over and over…why do they stick her show on Saturday afternoon????? CRAZY, we all love her!!!! I also enjoy selling New York (not sold on selling LA) House Hunters is still a fav and David B too!

Ann October 17, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I agree with most of what everyone has already said. I loved A Gardner’s Diary with Erica Glasner and Kathy Renwald in A Gardener’s Journal. They were REAL gardening shows. But most of what is on HGTV now is unbelieable and unrelatable. I haven’t even seen a Candice show in forever and I thought she was their number 1 ratings star. I never cared for Design Star, I think its too contrived. I rarely watch any HGTV and the new line up doesn’t look to change that for me. They should look towards the blogs, thats where the real ideas are.

Laura Jane October 17, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I’m so sad! Designed to Sell was my favorite show! I love how much they can do with $2,000. I also enjoy Divine Design. My favorite HGTV show was Mission Organization but I think they discontinued that a long time ago. Lately, it seems they show a lot of house hunters, and it gets old.

Dee October 18, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I forgot about Mission Organization! It was kind of HGTV’s version of Clean Sweep (on the other network), and I really liked the host. It’d be nice if they had something like that on again, even though I know a lot of the messes were staged…honestly, who would let a tv camera crew into their house to film with stuff all over the floor? Still, I loved that show too!

belledame October 17, 2011 at 6:05 pm

i’m not intrigued by the new line up. i do enjoy selling new york when i catch it. but i’m a new yorker and if you’re gonna open the window/door in this city, people are gonna look it. you can never tell a place by the exterior.

i like “secrets of a stylist.” the concept is not original (see style network’s old show “dress my nest” starring thom fillicia), but i really don’t get the waste. both secrets and “high/low project,” make a room up multiple times. interesting to see, particularly with “secrets” where the look differs with each redo, but how is that necessary? all that work is unnecessary.

at least they’re trying. they used to have such a great variety of shows, especially on weekends. btw their us and canadian networks they had shows that focused on conceptualizing color, doing a low budget version of a high-end room, funky/youthful diys, zodiac based design, couples based design, crafter-based designs, step by step how to design your rooms. i mean for heaven’s sake bring back karen mcaloon! and there was that one where they’d redo three people’s rooms using only what the owner had on the premises. that’s a concept that needs to come back given the times.

Sheila131 October 17, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Love Novogratz, Selling NY and LA, Design Inc and Devine Design just some of my favorites. I was addicted to HGTV, but over past year their old shows are boring. Take off Property Virgins , Donna does Dallas (can’t relate at all). They need to continuously update and remove old shows if they want to keep their audience.

Dean October 17, 2011 at 6:56 pm

…And thus, HGTV descends into crap TV. Not a fan of any of these new shows. And as someone else mentioned, what did happened to the G in HGTV?

Gerry October 19, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Amen on HGTV being crap TV. I doesn’t do a bit of good to send an email and complain about their line-up now. I told them they have lost a very long time viewer.

Noelle October 17, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I do like property like Property Brothers. It seems HGTV is trying to appeal to a certain audience. Not sure who this audience is. I don’t watch nearly as much as I used to. I’m just glad they stopped overdoing Holmes on Holmes, it had become overkill!

Ricki Jill Treleaven October 17, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I miss Joan!!! What is with HGTV…..we are in a dire recession…..we do not need fantasy properties….we need Decorating Cents!!!

Melanie DuPorter October 17, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Miss the old shows, Beyond the Box, Look what I Did. Showed a lot of creativity. Even though I don’t like Design Star, I do like Meg, the last winner. Also, Antonio’s arty style. Donna Does Dallas’ oversized furniture and accessories went out at the end of the 90′s.

kasey October 18, 2011 at 1:50 am

Yawn. I don’t like any of the new shows (novogratz, debbie dallas, dina) and none of these new shows sound at all interesting. In fact, they all read as gimmicky and a little pretentious.

I understand wanting to freshen up the schedule and bring in new viewers. Why not start with freshening up the shows that made them a success? Decorating Cents & Matt & Shari’s shows seem dated now, but in this economy the average American certainly can’t spend 10K on one room. Free Style is just the thing for the college & 20-somethings who have no money, heck anyone who can’t afford to re-do a whole room. There’s a reason I like the ‘good will hunting’ segments on the Nate Berkus Show. A&E briefly had a series called $100 Makeover which was really good.

I also wouldn’t mind more garden in the HGTV. I love Curb Appeal: The Block, but then that could also be because of John Gidding. :-)

Robt. W. October 18, 2011 at 10:01 am

I could happily do without Matt & Shari (or a lobotomy) and the Dexedrined craftsiness of Joan Steffend. Another poster made the point about the “G” having long ago burnt out of the HGTV neon sign, but what I miss especially are series not about “characters” but about houses — not building, renovating, or selling them, but about the houses themselves.

HGTV once featured distinctive houses in series like Homes Across America, Dream Drives, and If These Walls Could Talk. These and other shows lent some genuine interest and were more documentary or informational, lending a sort of backbone to the network; they were a nice antidote to How-Tos about transforming your space in a weekend with some dusty sage paint, stainless steel appliances, and granite counter tops. They can’t have been expensive to produce.

Formulaic and comfortable, I do like House Hunters, the Law & Order of HGTV — though I skip over the vacation homes in Belize. I wish there were more episodes that featured historic houses or buyers with interesting requirements or budgets (And why go to Edinburgh to show a hunt for a student flat miles on the outskirts of one of the most beautiful cities anywhere? Show something of the character of a place, or even something of the best of what it has to offer, not the least.)

Mrs. Olsen October 18, 2011 at 10:13 am

I agree with losing the G inHGTV. The Outdoor Room with Jamie Durie is my favorite right now, but it’s hard to catch it. House Hunters is constantly running and it’s getting old. For those wanting more Green Thumb shows, I just discovered “Growing a Greener World” and all of the episodes are online. I have really enjoyed it!

Kristin@Kristin Drohan Interior Design October 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I rarely watch HGTV but I love Bang for Your Buck (not sure it is still on) and Selling New York. The interior design community is pretty horrified at DDD, not to mention the horrible play on the title. Has it been cancelled yet? I enjoy Sarah and Candace too. It is nice to see people with real design training, fairly realitic scenerios and talent on TV. I’m glad HGTV is trying out some new stuff, I just don’t think they have the right formula yet. I think they are throwing a bunch of crap on the wall to see what sticks. Design Wars is okay but why Bachelor, Make Out w the World, Bob as the host? I don’t get that.
@Ashley who likes subdued palettes try Interiors Inc if you can stay awake.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... October 18, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Ooooo I can’t wait to see some Junk Gypsies.

vandy October 18, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I miss the decorating shows,Decorating Cents, Spice up my kitchen,Designed to sell,even Matt and Sheri’s show, I don’t watch HGTV much anymore, please get back to decorating shows.

Caddylou October 18, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I absolutely HATE Debbie does Dallas and Dina’s Party. The “after” rooms look hideous and overdone. I enjoy Property Brothers, CATB, Antonio Project, Income Property, and Meg’s new show, Great Rooms. I also still love all the Holmes shows, but they show them so often, I’m kind of getting burned out on them. Of the new shows listed, only Kitchen Cousins and Weekend with Luis seem remotely interesting. I guess I’ll just keep watching DIY (until they mess up that channel…).

JW October 18, 2011 at 11:48 pm

It would be nice if HGTV brought back some more of the craft type programs or country themes. There are still plenty of us who want this type of programming. The glitzy, beige, crystal chandelier stuff with tasty party goodies is not my cup of tea. People want to find interesting ways to decorate the average house, not the NYC penthouse.

Patricia October 19, 2011 at 9:41 am

the only designers (shows) worth my time are Dear Genevieve and Secrets from a Stylist.

crazkt October 19, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I concur Sarah Richardson rules !!! Love it or List it would be a nice show to pick up it was on OWN for 5 minutes and now it’s off. I too used to watch HGTV daily but outside of a few shows shown over & over it seems to be going the same way of the Food Network …repetative & boring used to look at that allot more back in the day.

Kathy :) October 19, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I miss the old shows Julia !!! The only ones I watch now are Candice, Genevieve , Sarash and David B, the rest of them, the only reason I tune is if NOTHING else is on !!!

Kathy :)

isabella October 19, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I hate the “contest/wars” format shows,
love selling New York
and Sara Richardson as for the rest, boring

but someone must be watching,

Barbara Sewell October 19, 2011 at 6:07 pm

SO happy to read others miss Homes Across America and Dream Drives. I’ve visited a couple of those cities and made a point of driving on the streets featured even tho I couldn’t look inside. House Hunters seems to be the default for most evenings and it’s gotten beyond old. For those of us not planning to move, it’d be nice to see more shows on how to decorate the ones we’ve got.

Donna W. October 19, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I think it’s good that HGTV is trying to freshen its schedule. I love House Hunters but it’s just on too much and I’m growing tired of it. Candice Olsen is a great designer but her new format seems stale. I love Sarah’s House because she shows a variety of styles. The interaction between Sarah and Tommy makes the show. Genevieve Gorder is another winner. I’m looking forward to Junk Gypsies.
I would also like to bring back shows like Homes Across America that toured houses and gardens.
I do miss Joan, Matt and Sherri. They had alot of good ideas and doable projects. I always liked the segment on Design Cents where they toured a home designed on a buget.
HGTV needs more inspiration and less real estate drama. In this economy I would love to see more shows that featured affordable design and a variety of styles.

Stephanie February 18, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Amen.

Sue October 20, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I really don’t like the direction HGTV is going in. The less about the “personalities” the better. Please, less “horsing around” while designing and renovating. Sarah and Candice keep this to a minimum, and also serve up beautiful designs. The minute a show gets gimmicky, I’m outta there.

I’ll just keep on switching over to PBS and This Old House — it’s all about the project, and not about the personalities.

Lyn Bird March 29, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I agree with so many of the comments, everything is a competition and so much shouting and rudeness to each other. Bring back programmes where there is real design and crafts. And are all those apartments on Income Property really legal apartments?

Char G. October 20, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I have always loved HGTV since the first time I discovered it on my daughter’s TV. But it seems to me that there is too much buying and selling houses than decorating and designing, which is what I’ve always enjoyed. The other day there were at least 10 episodes of House Hunters. One a day would be plenty.

Glen October 20, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Like so many others I used to watch HGTV constantly, but hardly ever anymore. I liked the quality design shows like Sarah Richardson, Candice Olsen and Genevieve. Mike Holmes is always intertaining if not a bit over dramatic. I just can’t relate to David Bromstad in Miami. I don’t remember the name, but I like the show where they took a picture of an expensive room and recreated it on an affordable budget. If walls Could Talk was always interesting and Renovation Generation was awesome. All these new desingers have no regard for anything but “modern for the moment” fads, gimmics and schlock. There is nothing timeless or enduring about a lot of it. I like modern design a lot, but I also like gilded age and french design, which has a lot more depth and pursposefulness. In a recent design wars, both designers used white upholstered furniture in a home with small children and nobody pointed out how stupid it was. I used to like House Hunters, but it is so overplayed now that I’m sick of it. The contest shows are a total turn-off. It has been well said – the lineups are more and more about gimmicks and less and less about QUALITY.

margo October 21, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Hi,

I hardly watch HGTV any more, I do like income property but I find most of the shows stale, the design blogs are more inspiring and I can look at Scandinavian sites as well as sites from Holland, France and England etc.

Magda October 22, 2011 at 9:50 am

I will say that I love Curb Appeal: The Block. The concept is great and the cast is so likeable. And John Gidding is not hard to look at.

Linda's Mom October 23, 2011 at 1:18 am

I also miss the garden part of HGTV. They used to redo alot of people’s yards (not the gimmicky theme park types like the few I have seen now) but REAL flowers and plants. Love Curb Appeal but alot of that is the wonderful John Giddings–so nice to listen to and look at!!!
Candice Olsen is always the best but unattainable design–would she be able to decorate on a small budget? Never seen a Sarah F show–when is this on? My tv is on HGTV all day for my Mother and I hear most of the shows but not ever seen this Sarah person.
And what ever happened to Antonio? His shows were on for a few times then I saw reruns of those first shows and nothing since?

Kate October 27, 2011 at 8:48 pm

We used to really enjoy Ground Breakers. It was a great landscaping before-and-after show.

Sarah Richardson, along with Tommy, is my favorite of all the designers. I’ve watched her for many years and she just gets better with each new series.

Reese October 28, 2011 at 2:12 am

I miss the days when there was true variety in budgets and styles over at HGTV. Remember shows like Home to Go? Peter Falico (sp) was great at doing modern, stylish projects on the cheap. Gone but not forgotten: This Small Space, Homes Across America and Country Living. Sarah R and Candice are wonderful in that they dicuss design as well as decoration. I miss seeing fabulous fantasy spaces and the attainable design solutions.

Kadie November 5, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Dallas Donna is not my style but I’m glad HGTV was trying (1) a decorating show and (2) something different than what you find in every mainstream shelter magazine by “top designers”. And I have picked up a few tips. Decorating is about taste and we all have different taste. For the life of me I dont get David Bronstad, Miami (is it me or does his team do most of the work now) , Genevieve Gorder (her finishes look incomplete), Antonio Project (but my teenagers love him), etc. This is the reason I will never sign up for HGTV’d. After watching HGTV for 15 plus years I know enough to not let 75% of those people past my front door (but Sarah R/Design Inc and Sabrina Soto (so long as she does the high end room because Target chairs are not and will never be comfortable). But I do miss planning my weekends around the Sat night line up. Oh well between blogs, magazines and books I can get decorating fix that I use to get from Kitty, Joan, Matt Shari and Chris Casson Maddon,

Debra November 6, 2011 at 2:31 pm

HGTV is killing me with House Hunters re-runs and all their step children.
Where is Curb Appeal the block? I love John Gidding and team. And agree Sarah and Candice Olsen are ongoing favorites. Miss the Gardener Guy. Some of this stuff is so far removed from most people’s ability to partake. I enjoy programs that show me how to do things that I could actually afford to do in my own home. Scott McGillivray and Income property continue to provide this type of realistic inspiration.

Certain hosts are much more palateable. i.e. will take Scott McGillivray over Donna Moss any day. Who cares about more ostentateousness out of Dallas anyway? Heard John Gidding and Curb Appeal the block has moved on to Dallas? Any truth to that?

Jill Cauble November 7, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Can’t take much more of David Bromsteads (decorating)? Please,why do we have Geneave and many more pretend Interior Designers? What does your budget pay for? All of my friends watch HGTV. We don’t know where the money goes, and when do the reruns go away?HELP!

Jill Cauble November 7, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Sarah R and Candace O are the only people with any taste! What ever happened to Joe R and Homes across America?

hookedonhouses November 7, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I don’t know why they canceled Homes Across America. That was one of my favorites!

Heidi Reeves November 11, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I think HGTV has just run out of ideas..there used to be a balanced variety of shows, now they seem to just focus on buying houses, and not really a lot of decorating ideas that I can at lease try in my home.

Gerry B. November 14, 2011 at 1:43 pm

From all I have read there are MANY who have stoped watching HGTV. I am one of them.. The new shows are crappy, give me the old shows anytime, Especially the great gardening shows HGTV used to have. bye bye hgtv!

Julie December 3, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Love your site! I have just discovered Property Brothers (I know, I’m late to the party.) I am drooling over the ‘wish list’ homes that they show prospective renovators at the beginning of each show which always turn out to be way out of the renovators’ price range. (The homes that are listed for over $1M that include all of the couple’s ‘must have’ items but the house ends up being way too expensive for the couple. It’s Drew’s way of showing them how unrealistic they are being in their house search. )

Is there any way you could add a gallery of those ‘over my budget’ homes to your site? I save my DVR episodes of PB just to take repeated looks at those. Just a suggestion… Thanks again for this wonderful site. :)

jay December 31, 2011 at 1:59 am

So sad about the shows on now. If I have to sit through another House Hunters or Holms I might scream. Please bring back Sarah and Candice. Everyone else is just bad.

Teacup Lane January 5, 2012 at 9:59 am

I love anything with Sarah Richardson and Candace. Sarah’s Tommy is a “hoot”! Favorite shows are Curb Appeal: The Block and Income Property. Love John and Scott as hosts. Miss Lisa and Clive on Design To Sell. Very stupid of HGTV to stop production of that show and let Clive go. And why all the reruns of the old Christmas lights shows? They can’t do new shows? And there weren’t very many Christmas decorating shows on this year at all. I really don’t watch HGTV as much anymore mainly because all the shows are reruns of House Hunters all night long. I like House Hunters but not all the time. Interesting to hear that Sandra is leaving Property Virgins. I hope to see her new show.

Autumn January 5, 2012 at 12:29 pm

They have also taken away Mike Aubry on the show “Intervention” :)

Autumn January 5, 2012 at 12:30 pm

The above Smiley face is a mistake

lauren m January 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I am one of those people who loves to see homes in their completed state. I am sick of house hunting shows and remodeling shows. I miss terribly the two shows “Homes Across America” with Joe Ruggiero, and “Dream Drives”. Each show showcased three homes on each episode. I have e-mailed HGTV several times suggesting they bring these two shows back, but never got a response. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Erik January 6, 2012 at 1:48 am

Best shows in my opinion:

1) Sarah Richardson’s shows (Sarah’s House, Sarah 101, etc)
2) Income Property (Scott’s the man)
3) Kitchen Cousins (liking the boys – great kitchen makeovers)
4) Divine Design (My favorite of the Candice Olsen shows)

Anytime these are on, I’m watching. The rest are mediocre. Although I watch Property Virgins, since its all about Canadian locations, it’s not relevant to me in the USA.

R Torrey January 7, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I agree with one comment, where is Matt and Shari and Joan Steffand. The older shows were much better. The property brothers is not very good as they always find problems that will cost the homeowner more or take into consideration when setting a price for remodeling thaqt the wall they want to take down is a bearing wall. The brothers do not have very good appeal. If you look at the audience that really watches HGTV it is not the 18 to 35, it is the older demagraphics. The kitchen cousins is not good either. Really the newer shows are just not good……..

Chrissie Kirk January 11, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Dear HGTV…You stink. Signed, Me
I long for the good old days of HGTV when G meant Garden and learning how to do it; Designing for the Sexes! Was somewhat dumb but still fun. Designer’s Challenge, Landscaper’s Challenge, one episode of House Hunters every 24 hours (not 24 every 24 hours as it is now…nothing like taking a good thing and strangling us to death with it!) Debbie Travis “be careful what you wish for” (might have wished for too many episodes of House Hunters?) Dream Drives, If These Walls Could Talk, even Weekend Warriors! The old Thursday nights on HGTV…what a line up starting at 6 pm! HGTV, when I discovered it years ago, was the port of calm in my thing called life. It would inspire me to do great things around the house and at Christmas time with all the terrific decorating shows (thank you Joan Steffand!), my house became a showplace of holiday glee! They must be aiming for the 18 year olds who don’t even know what HGTV is. I find the Property Brothers really creepy. I love my David Bromstad but he’s beginning to get onto my Creep-O-Meter. Where is Antonio when I want him? And that hunka hunka Mike Holmes can inspect my home anytime! What happens to those who win Design Star? (and it hasn’t been the same without Clive anyway.) The new Property Virgins, have you seen it with a woman named (really? seriously?) Egypt? It is the Son of House Hunters!! Just laughing myself silly over that one! I could go on and on but gee, House Hunters just came on and I’ve only seen this one 4 times!

Autumn February 18, 2012 at 9:48 am

You and I have the same sense of sarcatic humor!! I agree with almost everything you said!!!! :>)
With a 1000 (give or take) cable or dish channels seems like someone could start a new decorating show for the “comman folk”

Stephanie February 18, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I have been wanting to send this letter to HGTV for so long! Well done!

Lee January 18, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Just wait until you get a load of “Mom Caves”–a total vanity project featuring Howard Stern’s vapid trophy wife Beth Ostrosky Stern as host. He’s been trying to make her a celebrity for over a decade and she has many failed TV projects in her past. Get ready to be underwhelmed.

Fiona January 22, 2012 at 12:18 am

Lee,

Did you know that an episode of “Mom Caves” already aired last year? The host is Matt Meunster, who is a very talented and experienced designer. HGTV insulted him by teaming him with Stern’s wife who has NO background in this area. I could have easily overlooked her questionable past, were it not for her tenuous grasp of the English language, horrific voice, and numerous other flaws. I hope HGTV will find a more competent person to co-host this show. These shows should be informative!

Ashley J January 22, 2012 at 3:29 am

Fiona – I agree with you! HGTV made a change in the hosts for the upcoming season, but unfortunately, they kept Beth Stern and replaced Matt with Jared Walker Dostie. How can HGTV have this woman, who is not a mom and has no design experience, host a show like this? She told the mom on the pilot to sit on a roll of carpet to test it out . The show site mentioned that the mom’s family has to pony up some of the money to pay for the upgrades – I have a sneaking suspicion that Mr. Stern may be footing the bill for some of the production costs for the show, which may explain why they kept Beth. It’s a nice idea, and I hope the new episodes are better than the pilot.

KellyB January 22, 2012 at 9:54 am

I agree! I love these shows but the host makes or breaks them. I would love to have a Mom Cave to get away from my 3 kids. However, if I would have to be subjected to Beth Stern’s awful voice and flailing hands, no thank you. Plus having to pay for the renovations? Did all the money for this production go to pay for her salary? Her husband is a billionaire! She doesn’t have to work and judging from this show she should go back to tweeting pictures of her in her underwear.

Jon January 22, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Howard Stern definitely bought his wife the gig on Mom Caves. He wants her to have a job to counter the perception that she’s a gold digger, even though that’s exactly what she is. No one else would hire her due to her lack of talent, inability to put together a coherent sentence, and annoying screechy voice.

Melanie January 25, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I want Sarah Richardson back!

Sharon January 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Candice and Sarah are my favorites. I am sick and tired of all of the real estate shows and just don’t watch the channel when they appear. I want innovative shows that help me do something with what I have now. Good examples are Joan’s and Matt and Shari’s old shows. I really think the channel should be named HRETV. They have dropped gardening, which is what turned me on to the channel in the beginning, and have gone overboard on real estate shows.

Sharon January 29, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Reading other comments, I noticed I’m not the only one who has sent comments to HGTV and have NEVER received any response. Watching similar shows in Canada andGreat Britain, there are a lot of much better shows out there. We just don’t get to see them.

Autumn February 18, 2012 at 8:19 am

AMEN! Many of them are produced in the USA!!

Doris M. Garcia February 4, 2012 at 3:03 pm

They have to get back to their old format where you could learn something and get different ideas. They have to rid themselves of some the people who are at the realm, poor judgment.

kathy February 7, 2012 at 2:19 pm

BRING BACK SARAH AND TOMMIE AND MORE CANDACE.. CHUCK THE OTHERS. MOST OF US WOULD’T LET THEM IN OUR HOMES!

Stephanie February 18, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I am in full agreement. Love Sarah.

Autumn February 18, 2012 at 7:49 am

I miss Cive and Lisa LaPorta. I know Lisa has her own huge business in LA. Did she get tired of shooting HGTV episodes or did she get “too old” Mike Aubry” is no longer on “Property Intervention” and he “made the show” I miss “Property Shop” “Tough as Nails” Why did “Tough as Nails” get cancelled here, but renewed in Canada, do you or anyone know? Some of the new shoes are ok. Some; I change the channel. The lastest thing: a new host for Property Virgins. I used to watch HGTV at least 12 hours a day; but not anymore.
THX!

Felice February 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I miss the old wacky house shows. When I started watching HGTV the first time I got cable (I think I was 16 0r 17), me and my mom used to watch these shows about wacky and crazy looking homes. I loved those shows! Then I went to college and didn’t have a TV until I moved into an apartment last summer and the channel had changed so much! I also miss Curb Appeal and some of the other garden shows. I still like house hunters but in the past few months I have seen some of the same episodes more than 8 times. It is driving me insane!! (Obviously I turn to another channel if I’ve seen it). I like some of the newer shows (Income Property, Property Brothers, Selling NY and some of the others) but its just not the same HGTV I fell in love with years ago (and made me desperately want my own place and eventually my own home to decorate!).

Stephanie February 18, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I consider myself somewhere in between. I LOVED the old shows like DecoratingCents and Room by Room and I watched those shows when I was in my early twenties, and reliously too! I love some of the new line up but could do without some of them too. Right now my BIGGEST beef with HGTV is that the stuff I like is too few and far between and it seems like ALL that is ever on is House Hunters which I am soooooo sick of! I don’t have TiVo so I can’t ever get the shows I really want to see. I loved Home by Novagratz but only got to see maybe four new episodes during its entire season. Same with Emily Henderson’s show. I wish HGTV would divide itself into two distinct stations. One that caters to the design and decor enthusiast and the other that appeals to real estate and “house hunting.” That would be ideal!

cassaundra March 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Don’t like Dina, don’t watch her. Property Brothers are fine. Kitchen Cousins too pushy. Wish David would go back to California with that crew – don’t like his show in Miami. Where is Carter Oosterhouse? Love Scott Mcgilavary, Mike Holmes is a must and even like Brian on DIY (he’s funny in an off hand kind of way) Keep the Novocrantz couple. Not special nor interesting designs. Whatever happened to Barry Wood and Brandy Millay? PLEASE say Curb Appeal the Block will be back. I need to take an aspirin – getting a headache with all this agenda planning for my HGTV season. lolllll

hookedonhouses March 20, 2012 at 7:46 am

I follow John Gidding on Twitter and he says Curb Appeal will be back in March! :-)

Brenda Slocum April 23, 2012 at 11:59 pm

I just loved Sandra on Property Virgins!! I think I’ve seen all episodes, each more than once. I’m sorry to say I don’t like new host at all!! Pushy, loud, and not personable, to me anyway. I don’t watch anymore, unless it’s a rerun with Sandra. I’m going to try and get interested in another show. Please put Sandra’s new show on HGTV.

Kitchen remodel fan in Sewell NJ May 8, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I would love to have some handsome kitchen cousins come and give me my dream kitchen. My kitchen isn’t quite in trouble yet, though, so I doubt that will happen any time soon. I am looking forward to doing a kitchen remodel Sewell NJ style. I’m new to the area, and I feel that my kitchen is a little outdated. Any suggestions on some good Jersey style?

Susan July 18, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Come on HGTV- I agree with another fan who said there is no more G! in HGTV. Call me old fashioned but I miss Paul James (Gardening By the Yard). After you lost Matt and Shari years ago, I still kept watching. Ilove Curb Appeal and always have but other than that I don’t watch much anymore. Recently The best thing you have had going is Sarah Richardson – where is she now????

LISA August 5, 2012 at 11:53 am

Oh how I miss Joan Steffand. She was everyone’s friend…..who always had a wonderful smile on her face.

I sure wish they’d give her a new show as well.

wendy August 27, 2012 at 9:39 am

I don’t like junk gypsys donna does dallas. I love house hunters most of the show r nice. I was u guys would bring bak divine design back also design to sell with clive owens. Please take my first lace off. Also bring some gardening shows back. Please take holmes on homes & holmes inspection off some of them r 7 years old come on put something else on please

kastanje September 5, 2012 at 8:54 pm

What happened to “Curb Appeal the block”?

That was my favorite show, Jon, Kimberley and Chip seemed to have such good chemistry.

Holmes has been on far too long – retire the show, please.

Bring back Designers Challenge and its counterpart in landscaping.

Donna September 8, 2012 at 11:22 am

I liked the Carol Duvall show and the quilt show with Alex Anderson.

Diana September 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm

When is Curb Appeal coming back???? Apparently HGTV makes it impossible to ask a question regarding programming. That’s the best show they have going. For goodness sakes HGTV, get out of the “real estate” business. NO MORE stupid House Hunters, My First Place, For Rent, etc., who cares. You used to have great design shows, PLEASE go back to your better shows. I’ve pretty much quit watching, me and just about every woman I personally know, it’s just repeats, over and over and over of House Hunters and real estate shows, maybe you should change your name.

Dawn October 3, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I think that the biggest issue with HGTV’s programming issue is the lack of variety. I keep seeing the same shows playing over and over again in the lineup, stacking the same show on hour after hour, so that if you don’t like that particular show, you’ve no choice but to go channel surfing elsewhere. Not what HGTV should be aiming for. And I totally agree that their gardening programs are totally lacking. Shame.

Anita October 18, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Am sorts late in checking out what happened to Property Virgins, mostly Sandra Pinomato and the cute little pregnant girl. Egypt Sherrod is a great replacement but did look forward to the above girls. In fact, today is 10/18, 2012 and Sandra is on—-great to see! It has to be a rerun———-well———run more of them.

Those Property Brothers are getting to be big pain!! Hammer, hammer, knock out walls, nothing but distruction! Do we have to put up with those guys day after day? We finally got rid of Holms on Homes, he thought he knew everything! Please believe me!! So happy I found out what happened to Sandra but not the p.g. girl. I am afraid we won’t see much of Egypt either since she is/was p.g. also. Those noisy Propety Brothers!!! They get a little old in a hurry!

Linda November 9, 2012 at 11:12 am

I am over the Design Star people shows, very tired of them. I want to see real “how-to’s” again. I enjoyed Takeover my Makeover, and wouldn’t mind seeing a version of Trading Spaces, that was fun. Real tips without over the top wanna-be designers. I like the Kenneth Browns, Candace Olsens, Kelli Ellis, Vern Yip (when he was nice), Genevieve (when she smiles) type designers – personality and style. Don’t want to see real estate shows anymore either, I change the channel when I see one come on. Really over cheapo Design on a Dime and Lisa Lasomething. Property Brothers are irritating. I enjoy the specials because they are refreshing.

Paula White November 29, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Please Please take off the reality shows and real estate shows and bring back shows like room by room, decorating cents, country decorating, all the old ones, and yes garden shows. Most of these new shows stink!!!!!!!!!!!

Rita Maher December 2, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Every time I turn on HGTV there is nothing on but Property Brother, House Hunters, and international and property virgins. So sick of those shows.

Bonnie December 5, 2012 at 10:36 pm

WTH happened to my HGTV??? Will it be going off the air, cuz with what they have been showing for a very long time, it might as well. I agree with most of the posts on this site. Give us back our how-to shows. I used to watch & learn so much, but now I just turn the channel. Is there a new “winter” line-up coming or will you just be showing rerun after rerun after rerun???