Hooked on Nooks (and Pinterest!)

by hookedonhouses on September 28, 2011

Okay, so I resisted it as long as I could, but I finally broke down and joined Pinterest recently. It hasn’t totally rocked my world or changed my life, despite all the hype I had heard about it, but it is kind of fun to play with. It’s basically a place to “pin” pictures you’re “interested in” (Get it? Pinterest?).

Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of wonderful little built-ins like this on the site, so I started a board called “Hooked on Nooks.” Here are a few I pinned to it:

Via The Zhush

Check out this spot in the kitchen that’s perfect for Spot. I need this for my little dog Maizie. I’m always tripping over her when I’m trying to cook!

Here’s another sweet built-in doggy bed from Traditional Home:

I love books, and just looking at Iris’s cozy book nook from her English cottage in The Holiday makes me happy:

My daughter Lily has her own board on my Pinterest page, called “Lily’s Favorite Things.” Here’s a nook that she added to her board, writing, “This bed looks very warm and soft! I wish my bed was in a small space like that!”

Wasn’t that a guest room that Emily Henderson decorated on “Secrets of a Stylist”?

One of the problems with Pinterest is that it’s sometimes really hard to track down the original source of the photos. It links to the blog or Tumblr account or whatever that it was found, but 9 times out of 10 when I go back to them, they don’t tell where they got them in the first place.

Tum Tum Tree

And I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen photos from my blog that are credited as “Google Images.”

Houzz

Here’s one I definitely recognized, though, as a nook from Kathryn Ireland’s house in Ojai, which is now owned by Reese Witherspoon (you can see my post about her house here):

Are you on Pinterest? Are you addicted to it? Resisting it? I’m not on it every day, but when I do start playing around on there, it’s easy to get sucked in and lose track of time. If you belong to Pinterest, you can follow my boards @hookedonhouses.

P.S. Don’t forget I’m having a Fall Linky Party on Friday–show us how you’re decorating for fall!

Luciane at Homebunch.com September 28, 2011 at 7:21 am

I’m resisting it… I mean, almost! I go there everyday, see stuff but I don’t have an account yet. Although I see so many readers pining the houses I blog and I love reading what they say about them. It’s such a fun place, I’m just afraid I’ll spend all my day there! :-)

Lovely pictures, I’m going to check your board now.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Karen September 28, 2011 at 7:25 am

I use Pinterest instead of bookmarks. I like being able to keep track of decorating ideas, recipes, crafts to do, etc… all in one place and be able to share them easily. I have several boards that are group efforts. Having friends that are helping plan a function be part of that board and having us all pin to it allows us all to “brainstorm/ collect ideas” all to one place. So far it’s been very handy.

That being said, I set a timer to keep from being sucked in… :)

Beth@UnskinnyBoppy September 28, 2011 at 7:32 am

Oh yeah, I’m a huge Pinterest fan. I even have a board dedicated to nooks that you might like checking out! :) http://pinterest.com/tbwb/boombastic-banquettes/

That place is super addicting!

hookedonhouses September 28, 2011 at 11:04 am

Love your board! Thanks, Beth!

Cindy H. September 28, 2011 at 7:33 am

I am addicted to Pinterest. I always try to get the picture from the original source. It’s a great way to keep up with ideas and things you want to try out or buy.

Deb September 28, 2011 at 7:47 am

I love Pinterest :) I go through spurts where I’m on all the time and then I’ll back off for awhile. When you are looking for ideas though – for a project, or decorating – it’s a great site! I have a whole board dedicated to Christmas LOL :)

hookedonhouses September 28, 2011 at 11:03 am

I just now got my Fall Board started. I’m way behind you, Deb!

Mary September 28, 2011 at 7:53 am

Love this! Nooks add so much interest and provide such a special and cosy spot in the home. I want to create them all over the place but can’t find a spot – or -nook that will work!
mary

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos September 28, 2011 at 7:59 am

I do love Pinterest, but I agree… it’s very difficult to find the original source of many of the images. I think it’s a great venue to quickly find pictures of a particular subject. I can see how people get addicted to it :)

LI_Mom September 29, 2011 at 12:56 am

Wow! I never heard of Pinterest before. LOVE IT! And I love this blog…. every nook & cranny.

Carolyn (and Cindy), have you ever tried Tineye.com? That’s very helpful in trying to track down original sources of pics!

shabbymama September 28, 2011 at 8:26 am

I am HOOKED and just deleted mt Facebook & Twitter so I can just do Pinterest!
It did take me a bit to understand what all of the hoopla was but now I love to play when I have a few spare minutes!
It is like reading the best magazine..cookbook etc. & being able to decide what topic I want to peruse!
I look forward to adding you to mine!

Autumn Van Weir September 28, 2011 at 9:12 am

I’d always rather be cozy! Nooks ROCK!! I plan to look for a house with such nooks when we sell our condo someday!

Nancy Dream it...Build it...Style it! September 28, 2011 at 9:51 am

Love all the doggy nooks! Sooo cute:) And yes, I’m pinner- pinning all the time.

Julie Harward September 28, 2011 at 9:52 am

So far just peeking at it now and then…I already spend too much time on this computer!!! ;D

hookedonhouses September 28, 2011 at 11:02 am

I know the feeling! That’s one reason I waited so long to join up. It’s hard enough just to keep up with Twitter, Facebook, and blogs!

Tricia Rose September 28, 2011 at 9:54 am

I love Pinterest too – in potential! I have yet to learn to drive it…one more thing to do…

T. September 28, 2011 at 9:54 am

I am fairly new to pinterest and haven’t taken the time yet to figure out how to use all the features. For now I use it to bookmark ideas for crafts and home furnishings. I think at this point half of my pins are from your blog! (And they are noted as such in my boards, but people have been repinning them.)

Tricia Rose September 28, 2011 at 9:55 am

Love the nooks too, specially since I still dream of the wall bed in my grandmother’s back room, with a range and deep cupboards built into the stone walls.

Caron White September 28, 2011 at 10:37 am

Hi Julia!
I am addicted. It’s a great place for me to gather ideas that I have for later blog posts, or simply to be sort of “zen” like while Tom is watching football. Right now I am putting together ideas for coastal holidays – it’s not always an easy thing to pull off without looking cheesy. I am finding all kinds of ideas to use for inspiration!

Come find me!

Caron

hookedonhouses September 28, 2011 at 11:01 am

Found ya! :)

Jamie September 28, 2011 at 10:52 am

Every single one of these have already been on fuckyeahcozynooks.tumblr.com Kind of easy to compile a list when it’s already been done for you. Just about every photo featured there, credits the source.

hookedonhouses September 28, 2011 at 11:00 am

That’s really the name of a tumblr page? Can’t say I’ve seen that one! Glad they credit the sources. I visit so many pages that just link to the blog they found it on–not the original. Makes it more difficult to track things down.

Jamie September 28, 2011 at 1:17 pm

The name is a Tumblr thing. There is a fuckyeah for pretty much anything that is focused on one subject. I’ve seen candy, fruit, pretty rooms, nature, summer, and so many more. It’s just part of the Tumblr culture.

Teacup Lane September 28, 2011 at 11:37 am

I joined Pinterest recently and at first I wasn’t sure how to use it but I found so many images that inspire me I just love it now. I’m on Flickr too but what I like about Pinterest that I can’t do on Flickr is put “my favorites” or “pinned” images into categories.

Ann @ Housefinally blogspot September 28, 2011 at 11:51 am

Totally on Pinterest and I love it. I am planning a big party for my teens BDay and Pinterest helped me get the colors and theme together, it is awesome!

Vanessa@Decor Happy September 28, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Yes I’m a pinner and I just started following you! I don’t spend too much time on it but if I see something on another blog or a magazine site that I like, I pin it – so much easier than saving to a file and you can do it on the go (e.g. ipad) So cute that your daughter has her own board.

Amanda @ Serenity Now September 28, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I am sooo hooked on Pinterest. I wasn’t crazy about it when I first started, but now I love being able to visually organize my finds. It does drive me nuts that people don’t credit their sources…which is why I started watermarking my “sweet shots” on the blog. I saw a lot of my projects on Pinterest, but no mention of my site. :s

Kim September 28, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I’m not on pinterest, but it looks like a great place. I have an actual bulletin board (in my room), that has pictures of things I want someday. Most of them are realistic, while some I probably will never have.

I love nooks. Ever since I was little, I’ve wanted a bay or turret window seat. I also think it would be cool to have one of those breakfast nooks with the bench.

It’s interesting that you talk about google, because that’s how I found your site.

Erin @ The Great Indoors September 28, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I totally love Pinterest, but I don’t have much free time to be online so I can’t enjoy it fully. I do try to use the original source anytime I originally pin, but it’s so tough to tell these days.

I had to laugh when I looked at Lily’s board– I think each pin says “cute” at least once. :-)

Virginia September 28, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I just started Pinterest…so cool. I just love your blog and I know I will love your pins.

Suzanne September 28, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Love what YOU compiled,
here. I am smitten with every
room from The Holiday and
the nooks and crannies, too!
My daughter’s bed is in a similar
space to the one your daughter
admired. I need to show her
how cutting edge it is….not
just cozy, which is what I say : )
xx Suzanne

Nicole Mulvany September 28, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I am all over Pinterest. I even had to pay $$$$ to my blog designer to put the tag on. It was totally totally worth it. One day I will blog how it changed my life in detailed photos. For over ten years I have ripped out magazine articles and put them in categories in a binder. Gardening, recipes, entertaining, gift ideas, Christmas decor, Halloween decor, Fall, on and on. It’s been insane. Now I have been able to either find half of the binder on Pinterest or just scan and put in. I just hope they don’t get me hooked and then charge me to be on there eventually. I’ll be in trouble! And of course why didn’t I think of this? I have been doing this for years with magazines.

Melanie DuPorter September 28, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Julia, if you’re not addicted to Pinterest, you’re not doing it right!
That website completely changed my life. I have lost 10 lbs because of all the clothes and fitness inspiration, made several of the recipes to rave reviews, and most important, it gave me the kick in the motivation dept. to actually create some of the DIY projects. There are many treasures waiting for you there, you just have to have time to find them!

Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me September 28, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I am so happy you are on Pinterest! I am so addicted to it and I have even started hosting a Pinning link up every weekend at my blog. I will be following you straight away!

Best wishes and happy pinning,
Natasha.

Bre September 29, 2011 at 10:08 am

I love Pinterest! And now I just started following you! It is incredibly addicting I have to admit, and I really do spend enough time as it is on the computer… I know I’m going to love all your pins and boards, as I love the nooks you posted above! Such cool spots, especially for dogs, great ideas!

Elizabeth September 29, 2011 at 11:24 am

I love these little nook spaces. So cosy.

I also agree with you Pinterest is fun but also time consuming. I also agree with the other comments, it is very difficult to find the origional source of some of these photos.

Nice to see so many beautiful ideas in one space though.

Richella at Imparting Grace September 29, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I have a Pinterest account, but I’m definitely not addicted to it–to tell the truth, I can’t afford to be! There’s just too much to look at. Too much eye candy. Too much good stuff. If I start pinning everything that catches my eye, I’ll be in trouble. But I am hoping to start using it a little more soon–it’s nice to have a virtual bulletin board!

By the way, I share your love of nooks. If I ever build a dream house, it will have any number of nooks in various places. Crannies, too. And of course a maid to keep all of the nooks and crannies clean! :)

Richella at Imparting Grace September 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm

P.S. Julia, I noticed a few days ago, but I don’t think I ever told you that I really like your new profile picture. As you know, I love your red hair!

Kerry Rossow September 29, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I have to set a timer for 15 minutes or else I wind up dazed and confused, hours later muttering “pin it!”
Oh, how lovely are these nooks!?
Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

maria jose October 7, 2011 at 7:19 am

What a lovely pictures ! Nooks add so much creativity in the home so that your home look fabulous . I really like Pinterest. Thanks for this amazing article.