A Charming “Country Cape” For Sale in Connecticut

by hookedonhouses on September 25, 2011

On Sundays I like to spotlight a house from the real estate listings that I think is beautiful, different, or interesting in some way. This week I found what may be my dream home, described in the listing as a “Country Cape” in Washington, Connecticut.

I’ve always fantasized about having a country house like this–possibly because I’ve watched too many old movies that feature them, like Bringing Up Baby and Christmas in Connecticut.

This one may look like an old farmhouse that’s been renovated, but it was actually built in 2005 with authentic beams and fieldstone and lots of beautiful woodwork for added character. Take a look!

I keep thinking of more movies that have made me want to buy a country house over the years. Baby Boom is another favorite (despite how moving to the country made Diane Keaton’s character kind of lose her mind). Wonder how cute the vet is in this town? ;-)

Love the stone fireplace and vaulted ceiling in here with the old beams.

Can’t you see this house all styled up and on the cover of Country Living?

There’s nearly 4,700 square feet, with 5 bedrooms, 4.5 baths, and a separate apartment over the garage.

A pretty portico:

The back of the house has arbors and a fieldstone wall:

Want it? (I do!) Asking price is $1.495  million. For more photos and information, check the listing by Carol Bablonka of Klemm Real Estate.

Click Here to See More Listings from My Sunday Open House Series!

Kelly Ann September 25, 2011 at 7:52 am

That’s the house for me….I’m a huge fan of Baby Boom…

Deb! September 25, 2011 at 7:56 am

This house will sell in a heartbeat!

Barbara September 25, 2011 at 8:00 am

The house is beautiful. Definitely needs to re-decorated by
Country Living people. The placement of furniture is off.

Luciane at Homebunch.com September 25, 2011 at 8:07 am

I want it too!!! So pretty! So welcoming, it feels like a real home! I’m tired of seeing “magazine ready” places. I want to see places like this one, where real people live. :-)

I hope you’re having a great Sunday.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Annie@A View on Design September 25, 2011 at 8:08 am

$1.5 M – what a bargain – such a gorgeous home. It’s exteriors like these that make me wanna look inside, so glad you posted about it!!!

Cindy H. September 25, 2011 at 8:13 am

If I had an extra $1.5 M laying around I would grab this house! It is beautiful – thanks for sharing!

Karena September 25, 2011 at 8:50 am

I love the portico!! The floors, the beams, the fieldstone wall!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

I hope you will come and enter my Giveaway from Interieurs!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman September 25, 2011 at 8:50 am

Very, very nice!! I love that type of house.

Ellen September 25, 2011 at 8:54 am

I am in love with the bathroom and portico! What a fabulous house! If only I had $1.5M … :-)

Amanda French September 25, 2011 at 9:10 am

Love it!!!

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints September 25, 2011 at 9:19 am

oh my goodness i love that breezeway. it’s postcard worthy. sweet home. very comfy cozy…no wonder you loved it:)

Jenny@EvolutionofStyle September 25, 2011 at 9:30 am

I’m loving this house! And I swear, I watch Baby Boom just about every time that I see it on – specifically for that country house!!

Eileen September 25, 2011 at 10:18 am

clawfoot tub <3 !!

Pat September 25, 2011 at 10:24 am

I might consider moving away from my grown children and grand children for this one! I could not make this more perfect.

DERealtor September 25, 2011 at 10:51 am

Lovely country home, love your site, I visit it almost daily now, I am SO glad you have the same illness as I do, a complete addiction to homes. Why did I wait so long to become a realtor, its the perfect job for us!

Lisa From Georgia September 25, 2011 at 11:43 am

Hi Julia, as I just wrote on FB, this is the town where my love of New England architecture began!!!! We lived in Washington, Connecticut in the 1970′s. You should SEE the homes and schools here! add in the spectacular topography and the entire area is absolutely stunning! This was the feeling I tried to copy for our main home.

Beckie September 25, 2011 at 11:43 am

I love it and would buy it in a minute, but will have to wait until someone dies and leaves me the money! I’ll keep you posted! (LOL)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... September 25, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I love the interior!

jodi from new jersey September 25, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I could cry looking at that house . So perfect ! Just in case I win the lottery, I will tuck that house away in my dreams. :)

Mom in High Heels September 25, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Wow! That place is gorgeous! Totally my style.

Maddie September 25, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I never thought that I would fall in love with a portico. What wonderful construction for a newer home. I want it!

melissa September 25, 2011 at 4:18 pm

that house is positively dreamy. *sigh* It does remind me so much of the Christmas in Connecticut house (my favorite movie) which means that this house is meant to be mine all mine! lol
If only…..

Teresa September 25, 2011 at 4:19 pm

LOVE it!!!! It’s exactly what I would be looking for, inside and out. Now if it was only in my area….

CateCanCook September 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Seems like such a bargain – I went to an auction in my area (Sydney Australia) yesterday, and that amount only bought a dilapidated shack on a block of land!!!!

Kim September 25, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I love a big country home like that, too. Very similar to Karen’s house of This Old House 2 blog.

Kim September 25, 2011 at 6:59 pm

What a gorgeous house. I love it! My dream is to have a country home too. Especially one with a porch.

Some of my favorite country homes from movies/tv include: Miss Honey’s big house in Matilda, Anne of Green Gables, Dr. Quinn, Beethoven, Little Women made in 1994 and I’m sure there’s more, but that’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

Lori-Anne September 25, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I’m not so much a country kinda girl, but could probably muster a little bit of classy country for this beautiful abode. If only I could muster the $1.495 million that goes with it!!

Maria September 25, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Love it. Stunning and for such a big house the rooms are still human sized. Beautiful and yet still cozy.

Wish I could see the floor plans though. The kitchen is open to the dining room but the breakfast room looks almost cut off from it with no windows except the far doors, but it might just be the way the photo came out.

Laura September 25, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Dream house! It is so warm & cozy despite its’ size. All the interior & exterior organic elements meld beautifully…timelessly…it looks like home. You’d never know it was newly built.

Wendy September 26, 2011 at 12:49 am

Wow! Never thought a new house could knock the wind outta me like that one. Wowza! I love everything about it. I could spend a week just hanging out in that covered, arched portico. Maybe two weeks. Now if I only lived in Connecticut instead of California…

Pamela September 26, 2011 at 3:33 am

I watch “Baby Boom” every chance I get – but I never can find a “for sale” listing for Sam Shepherd. Darn that Jessica Lange anyway! :D

Shelly September 26, 2011 at 6:24 am

This house could convert a city mouse! The windows are fantastic!

Ricki Jill Treleaven September 26, 2011 at 7:57 am

Looooooove this house! it is *me* but not the price tag (sadly) although I think it is worth every penny!

Super post!

Kelly September 26, 2011 at 9:14 am

Oooh, that’s a pretty one!

Dina September 26, 2011 at 9:21 am

Great classical bones, but I agree the furniture is very unfortunate and should be donated to the local Goodwill. As a professional garden designer, I would love to fix the gardens. I’ve seen better landscaping in front of McDonalds.

Kelly D September 26, 2011 at 10:23 am

What a romantic bathroom, love it!

Janice Mahon September 26, 2011 at 11:14 am

Hey Julia, tried to find your email so I am posting this.

I hope I don’t get into trouble, but remember Doc Martin’s house in Port Isaac, Cornwall? Season 5 is now posted on youtube, Episodes 1 and 2. Episode 3 to be posted shortly, for all you Doc Martin fans. The reason I have sent this to you is because it will be several years before this comes to PBS. Now we can watch it now! Thank you. Hope I didn’t step on your toes!

kthnxbye September 26, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Yes, please. I love all of this. Fabulous find, Julia.

Decor Girl September 26, 2011 at 4:19 pm

This just makes you want to walk in, kick off your shoes and say “I’m home.” This one is a keeper.

Jessica September 26, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Everything about this house is perfect…everything! There isn’t one think I’d change. they did a beautiful job on this one.
xo J~

Susan S September 26, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Idyllic! You sure know how to pic em!

shabbychick September 26, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Well, Julia, you’ve done it again. Just when I think you cannot possibly find another house for me to live in, there ya go! What really frustrates me is that I can’t choose! I had my top 5 all figured out. So does this trump the “Sleeping With The Enemy” house in South Carolina or the “Home Alone” house? It’s paralyzing real estate madness…so many dream houses, so little time to enjoy them all (sigh). But I still love you anyway. ;)

Claire September 26, 2011 at 8:06 pm

i love the portico! it’s so picturesque. i want it! anyone want to do time shares with me? :)

Robin September 27, 2011 at 6:53 am

Could a home be anymore perfect? Wonderful!!!

Claire September 28, 2011 at 11:42 am

This house makes me want a cup of cocoa and a wool sweater! Then I can plunk down on the sofa and watch Baby Boom!!!

Richard Orton October 18, 2011 at 12:34 am

Connecticut Farmhouse vernacular continues to be my favorite style, maybe with a touch of Nantucket. We see it in this house, “Christmas in Connecticut”, “Bringing up Baby” and “Holiday Inn”. Also the wonderful Hillstead Museum in Farmington, CT, check it out…

hookedonhouses October 18, 2011 at 9:14 am

Love that style, and the Hillstead Museum is beautiful. Thanks, Richard!

Marni December 14, 2011 at 2:12 pm

This is an amazing house ! I would love to have the dining room !

NJ Cellulose Insulation Contractor January 5, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Yes, very charming indeed. Even with the dark clouds rolling in!

{ 1 trackback }