Will & Jada Pinkett Smith’s Mega Malibu Mansion

by hookedonhouses on August 4, 2011

When I got an email from my friends over at Architectural Digest saying they had snagged Will and Jada Pinkett Smith’s mega Malibu mansion for the September cover, I couldn’t wait to see the photos. It’ll be out on magazine racks near you August 9th, but here’s a sneak peek at the house tour.

The 25,000-square-foot adobe-style house was designed by architect Stephen Samuelson, with interiors by Judith Lance.

Jada told AD: “For Will and me this home was always a spiritual endeavor. We’re very earthy, organic people. We wanted to create a family retreat, something made by hand and as natural as possible, something that ties back to the land.”

This is labeled as the living room, but it looks like an outdoor kind of living space, doesn’t it? I thought it was a long covered porch at first.

Will says he was inspired to build a house like this after seeing Gene Hackman’s adobe-style home in Santa Fe. (Hackman was his costar in the late 1990s thriller Enemy of the State.)

This is the “bedroom terrace:”

The “Today” show ran a segment about the AD article on Tuesday and showed more of the house. These are just some small screenshots I took while watching it, but they give you an idea of how some of the other rooms in the house look (you can see editor Margaret Russell’s interview here):

It’s interesting to read the comments on various message boards about the property now that the photos are coming out. The recurring theme seems to be “Way too big!” One person questions why any family–even a famous one–would need a place “so obnoxiously huge.”

Obviously, the Smith family has privacy issues and entertaining needs that most of us don’t, but it’s hard for us regular folk to imagine feeling at home in this much space. I might need a map to get back to my bedroom at night (maybe some of those helpful “You Are Here” floorplans they have posted in malls).

Here’s the bird’s eye view of the estate that gives you a better idea of just how massive this place is, sitting on 150 acres:

I think the rooms look pretty comfortable and “human sized,” though, despite the overall size of the estate. What do you think?

For more information, visit Architectural Digest or grab the new issue when it hits stands next week. (Photos by Roger Davies and Art Streiber.)

Click here to see more Celebrity Houses!

P.S. Whenever I see a photo of Will and Jada’s daughter Willow, her catchy “Whip My Hair” song starts running through my head. Now I’ll be humming it all day… :-)

Luciane at Homebunch.com August 4, 2011 at 7:16 am

Wow!!! This is soooo cool! They’re always so fun and upbeat! Their home is not my style to be 100% honest, but it’s a beautiful home! So many things to adore and it is HUGE!
Thank you for sharing this, Julia!

By the way, if you have a minute, please drop by to enter on my NEW Giveaway that starts today, ok?

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Marta August 4, 2011 at 7:18 am

Wow Julia – thank you for posting this. Yes – rooms look very homey and cozy for such a large home. I still can’t imagine living in California and not right on the ocean :) – But lovely none the less.

I adore the red couch in the living room. You can see it better on the cover of Arch Digest.

Thanks!

Janice August 4, 2011 at 7:34 am

Adobe is not my style, but the rooms do look homey, despite the size. I am surprised to read Jada’s words “We’re very earthy, organic people.” Their public persona is incredibly showy, product oriented, trendy/faddish, spoiled. Not at all earthy or organic.

MissCaron August 4, 2011 at 7:41 am

I actually thought their house was gorgeous and very tasteful. We must remember that celebrities spend a LOT more time in their home than we do. Every single time they leave the house someone is there snapping pictures. They have no privacy and having a compound like this allows them to enjoy their time at home. It really is very tasteful and not ostentatious. Thanks for sharing!

Debbie Summers August 4, 2011 at 7:56 am

Wowza… Love the earth tones and the front doors are amazing! I agree that the interiors look cozy even though the house is the size of a city block.

Jill August 4, 2011 at 8:21 am

MissCaron said exactly what I was thinking. This is a family with 3 kids. I have 3 kids and I know that if they were stuck in our house all the time due to privacy issues, the walls would start closing in pretty fast.

I think that there public personas are similar to their private ones. Their smiles always seem genuine and they appear to be a really loving family. I think their home reflects this by being grounded (literally) and not designed to just be a pretty stage set.

I can’t wait to see the entire article.

kb August 4, 2011 at 8:25 am

It is a big home, but sometimes people need to remember its not just a home but a business ie. office space with employees. Also the house will be staffed some maybe livein, and I would think that some extanded family also live at the house. So it really isn’t just a house for 5 people.

BungalowBILL August 4, 2011 at 8:36 am

I love the outdoor shower on the bedroom terrace. I also like that supposedly everything in the house was hand made. That put a lot of craftspeople to work. If you got it, spend it!

Lisa August 4, 2011 at 8:39 am

Great home! The answer to “why have such a huge home”…… is……..because they can! What else are they going to do with their millions they have earned? LOL!!

black eyed susans kitchen August 4, 2011 at 8:58 am

This is fantastic! It is just a beautiful property and home.

KT August 4, 2011 at 9:23 am

I liked the front door. I don’t like Adobe style homes, they always seem cold to me.

Janice Mahon August 4, 2011 at 9:34 am

Adobe styled houses in a hot climate makes sense. It is beautiful and so what about the size. They can obviously afford it.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints August 4, 2011 at 10:06 am

love that song. great house. i always loved adobe style…so warm. BIG THOUGH…wowza!!

Kelly D August 4, 2011 at 10:17 am

I use to wonder why do celebrities have obnoxiously huge houses but when they have to put up with so much media bothering them night and day, who would want to mess with that? I’d have a big house, just so every other month I could just move to another part of the house I had forgotten, make a change for a while. Then again, how long does it take them to walk from the kitchen to their bedroom or anywhere for that fact? That would be a pain. Good thing they’re rich, I’d hate to even think about cleaning it.

Emily A. Clark August 4, 2011 at 10:46 am

Ha! I’ve never heard that song, and kind of wish I never had :)

kathy August 4, 2011 at 12:41 pm

It is a beautiful home. So much for the smaller carbon footprint Hollywood tells us little folks to live with.

Amanda @ Serenity Now August 4, 2011 at 12:58 pm

LOL at Kathy’s “carbon footprint” comment. I wouldn’t have thought of that, but she has a point!

Adobe is not for me, but I do think that it looks like a home that a family could be comfortable in! How other families spend their money is none of my business, so if they have it, they should be able to spend it on whatever they want. I bet they could have some amazing parties!

Suzette August 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm

This probably isn’t a house I would pick if I had that kind of money but it is beautiful and looks comfortable. Can’t believe people are complaining about the size of it! Love the Smith family!

Jenn August 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Not a fan. I think the house is obnoxious and over-the-top, not unlike the Smiths themselves. A family of 5 does not need all that space. Jada says they’re “earthy and organic”? There’s nothing earthy or organic about the waste of materials and carbon footprint left behind to create that home. The adobe style is nice, just not my taste.

Sarah August 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I think I would get a lot more out of celebrity houses if they looked like people actually lived in them. I want to see how they look after a slumber party with 8 girls, or after Christmas morning when there is wrapping paper there.

Then it would feel like their home, you know?

Bre August 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm

That house is definitely gorgeous, I love bringing the outdoors indoors, and I love the adobe aesthetic. The exposed beams, archways, I love it all, and I seriously love every light fixture in every picture! This estate IS large, but it’s a showpiece. Nothing new with celebrities having showpiece homes, I’m looking at you Candy Spelling. Like you said, they need space for entertaining and privacy. What they do with their money is their business. I love this house, I think it reflects them as a couple and family really well. Thanks for sharing this sneak peek Julia! Next time I visit Malibu I will have to keep an eye out for this gorgeous home!

nurse b September 5, 2011 at 10:18 am

Someone always have something negative to say no matter what. If they had millions or billions they would buy what they wanted. So stop haters!!! It’s a gorgeous home with a large family and think about when the extended family comes to stay for a while.

Deb in Oz August 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm

The house looks like something from the Flintstones!

Kim August 4, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I have always wanted to see the inside of the Smith’s home and I was excited to see it featured on your site. Their home isn’t my style and it’s too big, but I’m glad it’s perfect for their family.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... August 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Wow. And I’m an in LOVE with those doors.

Colleen August 4, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Check out Jimmy Fallon doing Neil Young covering Whip My Hair! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N799R_mDx_U

hookedonhouses August 4, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Love it!

Heather August 4, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Wow, that’s not the style I had envisioned! They don’t seem like earthy-southwest-adobe people. As far as the size, I’d expect it for a celebrity family.

Dina August 4, 2011 at 6:31 pm

25,000 ft of house must suck up a lot of A/C in the desert. And is that real lawn and a lake that probably evaporates water off like crazy in the heat? Any solar panels on this “organic” place? Sorry, I understand rich people don’t live like the rest of us, but in this day and age I find these over the top family compounds disturbing.

Kaitlin August 28, 2011 at 10:47 am

I absolutely agree with you. I laughed when I read that she called it a spiritual endeavor and said they are “earthy and organic.” I can’t imagine what their electricity and water usage must be, not to mention all the resources that went into building and furnishing the “compound” (hand-crafted or not). It may be their money to spend, but it’s everyone’s natural resources that are going into its upkeep.

lucy August 4, 2011 at 8:01 pm

It’s all lovely and all…but that huge lounge room looks very much like a hotel lobby…love the window otherwise
I’m finding this family to be a bit over the top at everything…
As they say here in Oz…good luck to them!!

Cori August 4, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Not my style home although I wouldn’t mind being a house guest ! Since it has all the bells and whistles it may have more enviro-friendly ways to heat and cool like solar panels ect… I like Will Smith, he isn’t in the crazy news all the time like some other entertainers… My dream house is Ed Begleys house in Living w/ Ed. I love that house although it is way smaller.It is so sweet and pretty.

Holley August 4, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I think it is gorgeous! The view from the “living room” is beautiful!

belledame August 4, 2011 at 9:00 pm

can’t wait to check out the issue

Debra August 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Not today. Maybe in the 30’s when ostentatious was the norm but this is not a responsible, green way to live.

Maria August 4, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I don’t know why but my first thought upon seeing the first photo with the doors was “Welcome to Raiders of the Lost Ark” – because it looks like the entrance to a ride at Disneyland.

Wendy August 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I love love love that house, more for the interiors than the exteriors. Absolutely beautiful and welcoming. I’d love to be a houseguest, especially because they seem like real, fun, happy people. But seriously, earthy and organic? Not even close. They live in the Mall of America in a sea of green lawn, with their own lake! That’s not responsible water use, or use of any resources, really.

Nita August 4, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I don’t know, just watching Random Harvest tonight with Ronald Coleman and Greer Garson and the wonderful LITTLE cottage they had. These celebs mansions just are so irksom to me in this time of struggle when so many people are losing their homes. It’s so sad, and this is just another IN YOUR FACE article or TV show that show how WE THE PEOPLE have made these people rich and now they shove it in our faces when most every American is being affected by this horrible economy. I am of a mind right now to be researching the Katrina Cottages and the Tiny Texas Houses instead. To me, they are lovely, warm and inviting, much more so than these monstrocities.

Karen T. August 5, 2011 at 3:00 am

I agree with MissCaron. I think the home is very nice and am happy to see them enjoy it. And, those who are truly without anything that they don’t really need please stand up. Also, this home is being featured in a major design magazine. So who wants to see a lived-in, messy home. I know I don’t. And, if I was having my home featured in AD I know it would look pristine. I can hardly wait to see the magazine.

Carlavs August 5, 2011 at 7:15 am

Not a fan of the Smith’s…..but love their home!!

Autumn V August 5, 2011 at 10:54 am

If I worked as hard at the Smiths I’d want a huge aesome house too! He’s been hustling since he was like 16! (Kid n’ Play, c’mon, we ALL remember!) I think it’s gorgeous and theor tatse is unmatched! Not really into that style usually, but I think I just changed my mind. Really enjoyed this post! thank you!

Holly August 5, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Not really my style, but gorgeous just the same. I don’t have an issue with celebs having huge estates; it’s kind of expected, isn’t it? I did think the comment about the carbon footprint was funny…we “normal” people are brow-beaten if we don’t use CFL bulbs in our 2000 sq ft homes.

Kathy :) August 5, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Julia….what a home…..not my style at all, but lovely none the less…..I really like Will and Jada they seem so down to earth….Fresh Prince was a fave show of mine, lots of laughs !!!

Tom Brady (Patriots QB) is building a home in CA, I heard it was HUGE, can’t wait to see that one !!!

I hope you’re having a nice summer……..the weather has been perfect in my neck of the woods….no complaints here….I save that for our Winters lol

All the best,
Kathy :)

Carol August 6, 2011 at 9:45 am

How individuals spend their money is their business. Frankly I think one family living on a parcel of land this size leaves a much smaller carbon footprint than 20 families living on it.

Dawny August 7, 2011 at 12:47 am

It seems that every time a super famous person allows AD to feature their home, it’s on the market within 2 months. If that’s the case here I say good luck selling this one, Smith family. I think the adobe style is going to cater to a very small segment of buyers, and 25,000 s/f of it? I guess it’s possible that the most famous family in showbiz just wanted us to see their secluded hideaway to show off. Personally, I’d want to have my eyeballs surgically removed if I had to look at dirt colors all day. So I’m betting on the sale.

Cindy August 7, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Yeah, they’re “earthy and organic” in that “ostentatious, over the top, flashy, my precious and unqiue snowflakes, let them eat cake” sort of way that earthy and organic people always are.

And Willow Smith is beyond annoying. Blech.

Cheryl-ann August 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Not really my cup of tea. I am grateful for my small, light and airy home.

E. George August 8, 2011 at 2:40 am

Hi Julia now I know I’m a bit late responding but I ran out of points on my comp. I can’t get AD for another month so thank you for this great feature. The place is way too over the top but they have money and I don’t. I once saw Carol Burnetts adobe house and I thought it was perfect and this isn’t. Till next time Regards Esther from Sydney. PS just got my copy of Patina Style – beautiful…….

Megan August 8, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Maybe I’m just too much of a Midwesterner, but what do they do when it rains?

Laura August 9, 2011 at 3:27 pm

This isnt what I expected of them, but I like it! Its so open and airy and earthy, true. Okay, so its big and expensive…..true that they probably have mothers-in-law and maids living there, and they probably really do need their privacy. If I could have a house that gigantic (with someone else to clean it) I sure as hell would, too! ;-)
HAHA love the ‘midwesterner’ comment… as a Midwestern girl, too, I totally though that! What do they do when it rains, or there are bugs or whatever? hmm

I hadnt seen Willow’s video before….glad I had it muted or that song would be in my head for daaaaaaaaays. Girl’s got sass, thats for sure!

Love the Smith clan :)

Laura August 9, 2011 at 3:29 pm

……….plus, gotta have a guest house for Uncle Phil ;-)

Mia September 19, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Love the Smiths, and I am glad they’re so happy, but I have mixed feelings about their compound. I saw it in AD originally…and I know they have needs we “regular folks” don’t have, but it just kind of strikes me as overdone and not a bit homey. It has every feature a family could want, but I agree with some of the comments above…it’s kind of a blend of Indiana Jones, The Flintstones, and the latest / greatest hotel.

Giuseppe October 7, 2011 at 11:53 am

CHE CASA DI MERDA (senza offesa!)…. LORO MI PIACCIONO UN SACCO MA STILE ED ELEGANZA RISIEDONO ALTROVE ….non è bello cio’ che è bello ma è bello cio’ che piace. PERSONALMENTE LA TROVO PESSIMA SIA INTERNAMENTE CHE ESTERNAMENTE. BELLO IL PRATO E GLI ALBERI!.

jackline aluoch December 2, 2011 at 7:26 am

i like the house

lolia May 22, 2012 at 5:21 am

that is not my style but hey, what ever floats their boat.

Traci October 12, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I think it’s a lovely house, decorated nicely. Sure for the average person, a house half the size would be perfect but I don’t hate on them for wanting a large house. They probably always have parties and visitors. I know if I had a mansion, I’d move my sisters and their families in. I hate being apart from them.

mochelle November 25, 2012 at 2:37 am

It is all they dreamed of. I don’t think they could have achieved the spiritual feeling they wanted in a house of lesser size. I know it lifts my spirits just looking at it. What a talented couple. I love it.