“The Robbens Nest” at Louisville’s Homearama

by hookedonhouses on July 27, 2011

This may look like an older home from the curb, but it’s brand new and part of Louisville’s 2011 Homearama in the Norton Commons neighborhood. I love a good Homearama, and I thought you’d enjoy a peek inside one of the houses on the tour.

This house, which has a fun, third-story “look-out” room, was dubbed The Robbens Nest. Builders Jason Black and David Lutes of Stonecroft Homes describe it as “a Classical Vernacular home.”

I would love to see this neighborhood in person. It looks like there are a lot of charming houses here! This one overlooks a public square with a fountain that you can see in the video tour (below).

The ceiling and trim details in the house are interesting to see, especially in a new house. I couldn’t handle that much pattern on my own ceiling, but it’s beautifully done.

Have you noticed that wing chairs are hot right now? I’m seeing them everywhere–especially in dining rooms like this:

The interior design was done by Gretchen Black, who writes the blog Nesting in the Bluegrass.

I love the tile in the kitchen. Gorgeous!

The house has 4,456 square feet.

This back hallway has built-in storage that I’d kill for:

There are 5 bedrooms and 4.5 baths, which you can see in this video tour of the house (watch it here if the video doesn’t come up for you):

The Robbens Nest has already sold for $689,000, but it’s part of the Homearama tour through July 31, 2011 in Louisville, Kentucky (I don’t live close enough to go, but maybe you do!). More photos and information about the house at Stonecroft Homes.

P.S. I featured another home in this neighborhood that a lot of you loved: The Palazzo.

Karena July 27, 2011 at 7:33 am

Julia I think I will recover my favorite wing chair (for the third time and give it a fresh look! Love this hoe, so unique.
Also love any home with its own name!
xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Exciting New $150 Giveaway from Dr Perricone! Artful Beauty from the inside and out! Come and Enter!

Luciane at Homebunch.com July 27, 2011 at 7:34 am

OH, MY! This home is amazing! The craftsmanship is just “wow”! And what about that front porch? Inviting!

Beautiful post, Julia! Thank you!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Jenny Allworthy July 27, 2011 at 7:36 am

I adore the exterior of this home! The interior is not quite to my taste, although very beautiful. Unusual lighter coloured Edwardian sort of look, but a bit too much pattern for me.

Thanks for the look. By the way, what a perfect home for a corner lot. Watch the world go by on that porch! And the lookout room is brilliant.

Trish @TheOldPostRoad July 27, 2011 at 7:38 am

Love, love, love the exterior – the turquoise pillows look great with the grays of that home. Love that it looks so traditional and not like 2011. You really can’t tell the age of that home from the outside. As for the inside – beautiful, but not my style.
-Trish

Ann July 27, 2011 at 7:40 am

I’m afraid that living room ceiling is a bit much for me.

Angela July 27, 2011 at 7:53 am

Exterior – gorgeous!
Interior – not so much (my taste)…and never thought these words would pass my lips (or my fingertips, as the case may be!) but the trimwork is too much! Gasp! ;) Love the kitchen cabinets but the ceiling design and the trimwork in the dining room is just too elaborate for me! Would’ve loved to see a simpler interior…think it would’ve complimented the exterior a little better.
Thanks for sharing!

Tami King July 27, 2011 at 7:57 am

How could anyone not love this house??? It is GEORGOUS inside and out! WOW!!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now July 27, 2011 at 8:52 am

I just love that big wide front porch. I’ve come to realize that I think my “dream home” will be a home that is new, but with the appearance of having been around for a good, long while. ;) I’m with you on the busy ceiling–a bit too much for me. Beauitfully decorated, and I drooled over all that storage in the back hallway. Think of all the stuff I could stash! ;)

jennie w. July 27, 2011 at 8:54 am

I swear, nobody does cute houses like the Southerners!

Susan July 27, 2011 at 9:23 am

This is a magnificant house. Love all the detailing.
Best,
Susan

angfreda July 27, 2011 at 9:41 am

We need a nationwide movement, IMO… do away with the BiLevel and more of this!!!
Wow!

ShabbyChick July 27, 2011 at 9:59 am

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! ;)

Lindsay M. July 27, 2011 at 10:11 am

LOVE!

cbean July 27, 2011 at 10:57 am

The exterior is lovely; warm and inviting.

The interior (especially that living room ceiling!) is overdone, claustrophobic and yet, somehow bland.

Christine July 27, 2011 at 11:11 am

I live in Louisville and always go to the Homearamas! Norton Commons is a great planned community but the homes are ON TOP of eachother. If I’m gonna pay at least half a million bucks for a house I want some room. These homes don’t have a yard to speak of. Very nicely made and decorated with AWESOME tile but I couldn’t live there…… too grand.

Mary July 27, 2011 at 11:19 am

It’s a bit over the top for my taste! The exterior is lovely but it doesn’t seem that cosy!
Mary

Shelly July 27, 2011 at 11:35 am

Ok, pretty home..but what I’m DYING over is $689,000 for THAT home and 4,456 square feet!!!! What the?! A home like that where I’m from in Southern California would probably be a couple million for sure. If you are curious what that kind of money will NOT buy you where I’m from check out my blog. We paid a bit over that amount and we have a work in progress. Ugh. We need to move!

Tre Pryor July 27, 2011 at 10:54 pm

That’s because Louisville has a great cost of living. Just won an award as a Top 5 winner: bit.ly/n9MjJs

laurie July 27, 2011 at 12:26 pm

This house had too much in the way of details…….for example, the dining room details. The living area was too busy for my taste. Looks like the craftsmanship is great, though. I love the idea of a square with fountain!

Kim July 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm

The exterior is absolutely gorgeous and the interior is nice, but there’s things I don’t like about it. Like the ceiling in the living room. But all in all, nice home.

Sheila July 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Boy howdy. I want to like this house. Really, I do. The outside is so lovely! I fear the multiple patterns on all the surfaces inside, though — even though it’s a lot of white-on-white (which I usually love). Anyway, it’s fun to look at!

Megan July 27, 2011 at 1:49 pm

It’s cute, but it’s almost too “new,” if that makes any sense. I think the trim on the inside is too much, too. But holy moly, that’s a lot of house for a pretty reasonable price!

Molly July 27, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I have a love hate with Norton Commons. Part of me wants to live there and the other part is resisting like the plague. It is a great community, close to the grocery and Costco and they have a farmers market on saturday and thursday night is the block party for the whole family. There are quaint little shops and in the future there will be a school and a YMCA….

There are well established communities in L’ville that offer the same type of amenities that ARE original (sub)urban and not suburb-sprawl.

I also got a little creeped out a few years ago when a friend of mine who is a realtor wrote a really nice blog post on the area and he got a cease and deist letter from the community attorney. They wanted to be in control of all the media on their development. He was strongly urged to delete the posting.

hookedonhouses July 27, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Interesting!

Tre Pryor July 27, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I can attest to the leadership of Norton Commons behaving that way. Not cool. I’m a Realtor as well and it doesn’t make sense as I was only promoting their neighborhood.

Molly July 27, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Oh and the good news, it is one of the bright spots of our economy. 16 of the 21 homes are already sold before the Homearama even started.

Melissa Hirsch July 27, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I can’t stop looking at them. Seriously the most beautiful houses I have ever seen.

Tre Pryor July 27, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Great post! I just toured Homearama two days ago and will be writing my post for LouisvilleHomesBlog.com (my contributor sent in her Interior Design post today, check it out) but I was curious, if you don’t live close to Louisville to visit, did you simply find these photos on the Builders site to make this post?

Great post and video!
-Tre

hookedonhouses July 28, 2011 at 6:59 am

Looking forward to seeing your post about it, Tre! To answer your question, I had featured one of Stonecroft’s homes before, and Jason Black sent me an email telling me about Homerama and their contribution to it. I love that they build new houses with some of the look and detail of old ones.

Wendy July 27, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Love the exterior, but agree with cbean that the inside is way to stuffed with stuff. And yet will all that visual detail it never comes together. Leaves me bored.

Sunrooms South Jersey July 28, 2011 at 1:44 am

Wow! That’s a very beautiful house!!

Cody July 28, 2011 at 2:27 am

I’m a floorplan junkie so I did some digging and found it! http://www.homearama.com/builders.aspx?id=19513861

hookedonhouses July 28, 2011 at 6:55 am

Thanks, Cody!

E. George July 28, 2011 at 7:42 am

Hi Julia wow absolutely beautiful. The outside is beautiful and I love the kitchen and dining rooms oh and that colour on the walls love it. Till next time regards Esther from Sydney. PS we are being bombarded with home reno shows at the moment gone into reno overdrive… Thanks for a great blog.

Tami King July 28, 2011 at 8:27 am

Wow, I can’t believe all the negative comments. This home was built to showcase the builders talents, etc…it’s in Homearama which is a HOME SHOW, so of course it’s going to be over the top. It’s like going for a job interview. You don’t wear sweat pants and a t-shirt you dress to impress and that’s exactly what the builders are doing here. Great job Stonecroft keep up the good work!!

hookedonhouses July 28, 2011 at 9:12 am

That’s a good point. If you’ve been to Homerama, you know the houses are always a little over the top because the builders and craftsmen are showing what they can do. That’s what makes it fun! :)

Love Where You Live July 28, 2011 at 9:57 am

I love wingback chairs. To me, they’re classics.
That ceiling is amazing. Like you, it might be a little much for me personally, but it seems to fit the house. Hope you’re enjoying a nice summer. cheers!

shelly joseph July 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm

OOOOOOO Love that storage idea.. hmm wonder what’s behind my walls in my hallway and can I make them into storage..

polly dove July 28, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Oh I always love to go on these home tours … there are always great ideas to glean even if a home isn’t just your style!

David T. July 29, 2011 at 5:31 am

Maybe vernacular on the outside (except the look out-which I find a little bit unnecessary), but a little bit more garish with too much trim work, especially in the living room. The kitchen looks classy! The video is exceptionally well-made and inspiring. Thanks for the post!

Colleen July 29, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Maybe it’s just the way the house was photographed but these images look like computer models…not quite enough depth and texture, too perfect clouds and trees. I have a good friend who makes models for architectural firms. Her work is gorgeous and convincing but has the same sterile feel of these.

Real images or not, there’s a lot to love in this house. I wonder if my 1960s ranch could support a peek-a-boo room like that!?

isabella August 2, 2011 at 6:55 am

I like the interior because it is not open plan which is so often featured now, every room open to the other

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating August 26, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I live in the Louisville area but have been skipping Homearama the past few years because I’m tired of the McMansion look and feel. Wish I would have gone this year, because Norton Commons is a special neighborhood. It’s out in the middle of suburbia on the outskirts of the city, but they’re trying to create a real community feel. The yards aren’t big, the porches are close to the sidewalks, and there are local-run businesses right within the neighborhood. We looked at a few houses there before deciding to build our own new-old house. We like the look of older homes, but like you, want the modern amenities (and no renovation necessary!).