A Family Builds Their Own Craftsman and More House News

by hookedonhouses on April 8, 2011

Homeschooling, Work from Home Family Builds Their Own Craftsman: LA Times.

Hate “Property Virgins” on HGTV? You’re Not Alone: Handy Man, Crafty Woman.

5 Things to Avoid When Staging Your House to Sell: Archives.

Gallery of Remodeling Photos to Inspire You: CalFinder.

I’m Loving This Book–It’s Fascinating! At Home.

Why Are So Few Women Represented in the Field of Architecture? HuffPo.

HGTV to Publish a Lifestyle Magazine Starting This Fall: Curbed.

Can’t Wait for This Show! Million Dollar Decorators.

Decorating Inspiration from Water for Elephants: CasaSugar.

Small House Plans to Choose From: The Plan Collection.

New York City Shaming Bad Landlords on Craigslist: MSN Real Estate.

Have a great weekend, everybody! :-)

Luciane at Homebunch.com April 8, 2011 at 6:56 am

Good Morning!!! :-)

Wonderful links, Julia! I also enjoy checking them out.

Enjoy you weekend, sweetie.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady April 8, 2011 at 6:57 am

Hmm, that first one sounds promising! I will have to take my coffee break a bit sooner than I planned ;)

Linda April 8, 2011 at 7:30 am

My favorite house is a Craftsman, so this was a great article! Thank you, they did a beautiful job. (I’m only slightly jealous) : )

Stitchfork April 8, 2011 at 7:58 am

You’re hooked on houses and you have me hooked here now! Just followed you on Twitter too.
Cathy

MissCaron April 8, 2011 at 8:14 am

I’m also reading At Home! I’m in the Kitchen right now. So fascinating! Have a wonderful weekend, my dear!

stephanie April 8, 2011 at 9:07 am

Well, I’d really like to decorate my home with Robert Pattinson but I’ll have to settle for the fact that I have those RH pillows!

Carrie April 8, 2011 at 10:05 am

Can I decorate with Robert Pattinson from Water for Elephants? He would look great in any room in my house! :)

Great list as always!!

Ricki Jill Treleaven April 8, 2011 at 10:29 am

Thanks for the links. I cannot wait for Water for Elephants. I loved the book!!!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman April 8, 2011 at 11:09 am

Thanks so much for putting our link up! People have very strong feelings about that Property Virgins show, one way or the other. There are some very interesting discussions going on in the comments.

Bre April 8, 2011 at 11:41 am

That is a lovely picture of Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon…think I’ll check it out…you know to see pictures of the house…yes that’s it…not Rob…Water for Elephants comes out April 22, so excited! (In case you couldn’t tell ;))

Kristin April 8, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Great links and a beautiful weekend to you, too!!!

xx

chelsea April 8, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I love Bill Bryson, he’s one of my favorite authors! At Home is a great book, and so are his less serious books like The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. He’s such a smart and funny person, I would love to have a conversation with him- what an interesting person!

Cassidy April 8, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I just finished that book and enjoyed it as well!

Kim April 8, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Great links! That craftsman styled home is so beautiful. I love how they spent time on all of the details. I would love to live in a house like that.

Dawn @ Free Universal Wish List April 8, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I also loved the book, “Water for Elephants” and can’t wait to see the movie. Robert and Reese are beautiful to boot.

Lesley @ The Design File April 8, 2011 at 11:54 pm

So interesting about HGTV Magazine. I’m definitely going to post about that too. Thanks for the info!

Jessica April 9, 2011 at 12:59 am

In awe of the family that built that gorgeous craftsman…so impressed, they did a beautiful job.
Have a great weekend!
xo J~

Scott April 9, 2011 at 11:04 am

Great post. The craftsman style is so appealing, in both form and function. I enjoy your blog!

Mary Ann April 9, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Fun links…I want to see “Water For Elephants.” The book was good. Did you read it?

A.Men April 10, 2011 at 8:24 am

Julia, Home Depot ad is really disgusting.

Pat April 10, 2011 at 10:20 am

Love the Craftsman re-do, mostly I love the dedication and love they poured into their home.
The Handy Man/Crafty Woman post was so funny…and so true, I loved reading it. Actually that show cracks me up, its’ so predictable.
Great reading as usual, I’m slow with reading my fave blogs lately, gotta get back on schedule, but your always at the top of my list!!

Lynnette April 10, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I saw/read/drooled over the Craftsman house article. I immediately told my husband, “This is the house we were meant to build! This is the house I was meant to live in!” And I meant it! I adore Craftsman/bungalow. Would he be willing to share his house plan or where he got it?

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... April 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I LOVE the Water for Elephants tips!

Kristin @ everythingzamora April 11, 2011 at 4:13 pm

The Kick family (1st article) goes to my church. Every week I would get updates about the house. Their family is more beautiful than the home (although they did a great job with the home as well.) =)

Lynnette April 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Did they ever mention where they obtained the house plan?