Is This What Men Want? The 2010 Esquire House

by hookedonhouses on March 29, 2011

Last year I caught the tour of the 2010 Esquire House on the DIY Network, and they dubbed it “The Ultimate Bachelor Pad.” I could definitely see the crew from HBO’s “Entourage” hanging out here. It was listed in LA for $18.9 million, but a reader tells me it just sold for about $13.7 (thanks, Billy!).

The house was built in 1972 but got a head to toe revamp last year for the magazine.

I’m a little baffled by the seating in the great room. Can you even call it seating? Looks like it’s more for lounging and let’s say…napping. According to the article in Esquire magazine about the house, it was a “custom sectional made from Hugo Boss textiles.”

It has 4 bedrooms and a whopping 7 baths, so the lines for the bathroom shouldn’t be too long at any big parties you might throw.

The views are pretty amazing. I think this is one of my favorite spots in the house because of the walls of windows:

This is the study, which the magazine notes is “perfect for checking the stock market, and perfect for sealing a deal over Scotch. Makes work feel like a luxury.” (Why did the image of J.R. Ewing suddenly spring to mind? Does anyone seal deals over Scotch any more?)

The kitchen, on the other hand, looks perfect for the bachelor’s catering crew to work in…

Every Bachelor Pad needs a “Virtual Reality Lounge,” right?

“Powered by Lufthansa-approved technology you can’t even see, this room is literally a wall-to-wall flight simulator,” the mag explains. “Air multipliers convincingly blow wind through your hair as you hold your arms out and tilt like a human jet soaring over exotic locales on the projection screen. Because the Ultimate Bachelor should feel like Superman on a whim.” Um, if you say so…

The listing refers to this as the “Sexy Master Bedroom:”

What do you think of the Esquire House? Is this really what men want? For more information and photos, check the listing and read the article.

P.S. Note that the agent is Mauricio Umansky, Kyle Richards’ hunky husband from “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills,” and the same agent listed on Lisa Vanderpump’s mansion.

Terry March 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm

No. The view is pretty good though.

Vanessa@Decor Happy March 29, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I’m not sure if it’s what men want but it’s certainly not what I would want. For lack of a better word, I would describe it as “ugly.” On a positive note, the views are stunning!

Krissy March 29, 2011 at 8:58 pm

My husband’s bachelor pad didn’t look anything like that. In fact, it was filled with my in-law’s hand-me-down furniture. I’m so glad I got rid of that stuff.

Mark March 29, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Yes and no…I like the Great Room, Bar and, of course, the view, but the rest of it is, well, fussy and bit contrived. I think most men want comfort, simplicity and style…in that order.

Lisa March 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Beautiful home! Certainly not my style, but I can appreciate it. It’s basically a giant man cave. It is a little “fancy” for most men but I think most would still take it in a heart beat.

If I showed this to my husband, he’d cry. LOL. Into his scotch (yeah he drinks it, although I don’t think he’s made any deals over it)!

Amanda @ Serenity Now March 29, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I think the masterbedroom is a man’s idea of what is sexy. ;) I do love the window wall though! :)

Ti, Te Horo, NZ March 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Wow – I love those sofas – and the dining table and chairs!

It looks very much like an object d’art … too flash for a bachelor pad! ;-)

Mind you, it sort of reminds me of the sort of home that they show on ‘MTV Cribs’ too … stunning; I wouldn’t say no if I had the money :)

Karena March 29, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Well, for some men!! This house needs the millionaire bachelor and a full time staff!

I do have a Giveaway from The Zhush I know you will love!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Pat March 29, 2011 at 9:52 pm

The only thing I like is the wall of windows and the view! Looks like a “wild and crazy guy” would live there.

Sarah March 29, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I really like the look of the architecture. I’m not too big on the decor though. To me it was over the top shouting “I’m rich!” design.

The Little Red Shop March 29, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Eww.

liz @ bon temps beinget March 29, 2011 at 11:21 pm

This is a millionair bachelor pad. A real bachelor pad has empty pizza boxes on the coffee table, a roll of paper towels in the bathroom becausue the TP ran out, milk and beer in the fridge, and mom & dad’s hand-me-down furniture from 1970-something.

The colors are very ‘manly’ but the lighting seems way to feminine for a real ‘bachelor pad’. The custom sectional seems a little girly too.

Dean March 29, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Lord have mercy. The architecture is stunning, as are the views, but the furnishings? UGH! I tried to find at least one piece that didn’t look cut-rate–but no, and taken as a group it defies explanation. This crap looks bad now and will look ridiculous as time goes on.

Kim March 30, 2011 at 1:11 am

All I can say after looking at this house is “It’s hideous”. I don’t like anything about it except for the views. This home would definitely be great for rich men.

Lill March 30, 2011 at 2:13 am

The house isn’t that bad but it isn’t astonishingly beautiful either. The views are stunning though!

Billy March 30, 2011 at 2:23 am

So the place closed for $13,750k six weeks ago. Nightingale Drive is overpriced to begin with and this just added to the …

This guy would walk by anything north of $3,000k that has convenient curbside parking, so I never would of seen the overwrought interiors designed for a Russian petrochemical prince.

A lot of deals are done over scotch, but they are usually near the court house and not in the West Hollywood Post Office Hills.

hookedonhouses March 30, 2011 at 6:44 am

Thanks, Billy! Just updated it with the amount it went for. -Julia

Beverly from Montreal March 30, 2011 at 7:22 am

Hahaha, very well put, Billy. The front exterior looks very much like a commercial building to me. Not appealing as a home residence, at all. The views, however, are magnificent.

Hoyt Clagwell March 30, 2011 at 2:49 am

The exterior is cool enough, but the interiors are hideous and kind of depressing. The whole aesthetic is like if some second-rate female interior designer who’s only ever worked for female clients and hand no understanding of men up and tried to create her version of what “masculine” would be. Like handing Cameron Diaz a cigar and a scotch and calling that masculine. But tackier.

Vicki March 30, 2011 at 5:11 am

I don’t care for the house, but I sure would like to have the thing where I could pretend to fly!

Luciane at Homebunch.com March 30, 2011 at 5:33 am

Gee… No my style at all! Some nice pieces but some will look outdated so soon, not worth to pay for it. It’s too “personalized” in a Vegas way….

Some people can like though, but it’s not for me.

Great post, Julia. You’re always finding great houses for us to see.

Have a wonderful day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Holley March 30, 2011 at 5:37 am

I love the comments on this one much more than the house!

I do like the exterior and the views. The Super[girl] room would be fun for me and the kids though!

Lisa March 30, 2011 at 6:10 am

It almost looks like a more updated version of the Mad Men set. Then I could see people dealing over Scotch!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Miss Emily March 30, 2011 at 6:23 am

It’s just one big cocktail lounge, not really a home.

Fanchon Fox March 30, 2011 at 6:52 am

I think the views are nice ,but the house it self is hideous . What is that over the bar area ? Certainly not my taste !

Carol M March 30, 2011 at 7:14 am

Great views. As for the decor, while some of the individual pieces are nice, it’s all too much. That sectional is awful. And, to me, the study’s wall treatment and size of the room makes it look like a trailer.

Lindsay March 30, 2011 at 8:01 am

While this house isn’t necessarily my style, I still really like it. I really want that large round dining table! Beautiful! I’ve decided when I have space for a large dining room, I want a round table instead of square of rectangular!

Claire March 30, 2011 at 8:30 am

I’ll take the kitchen table and the view. Other than that…great party house but definitely not a home!

Heather Collins March 30, 2011 at 8:34 am

no pool table?? I’ve never seen a bachelor pad without one! LOL!

Maureen March 30, 2011 at 8:43 am

Sexy master bedroom? That room would not make me feel sexy. I guess it is all about him.

Nichole@40daysof March 30, 2011 at 8:51 am

That view is pretty amazing. And so are a lot of the lines in the house. I even like select pieces of furniture and lighting. But the whole effect is lost on me.

A.Men March 30, 2011 at 9:00 am

No. And no windows in the kitchen. And a windowless office. Too cold.

Carbzilla March 30, 2011 at 9:42 am

Forget the man, I just want that light fixture hanging in front of the wall of windows. *Swoon*

Cathryn March 30, 2011 at 9:48 am

White upholstered fabric chaise and chairs in bachelor pad? Those will look great after you spill a Guinness and smear some cheese doodle powder on them.

Lacy March 30, 2011 at 10:32 am

The only thing I like about the house is the view! Just Not My style!!!

CC March 30, 2011 at 10:47 am

Huh, I’ve been looking for a seven foot tuning fork… (snicker)

Catherine March 30, 2011 at 11:08 am

I think they’re right on many levels…except that it’s stark and cold. Men I know would love the features, but also want warmth. This seems to have been decorated by people who’ve been only paying attention to what single smen might want for a weekend party-pad. I don’t think this is exactly what the ‘average’ man would want for day-to-day life…but I could be wrong!

Denise March 30, 2011 at 11:30 am

Who knows what men want!

Brenda March 30, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I agree with most of the posts, love the architecture but not the furnishings. Amazing views but no warmth to the inside…but then I’m not a wealthy bachelor!!!

Erin @ epiCURIOUS ERIN March 30, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Honestly, I think it’s stunning. I like masculine decorating. EXCEPT that hideous Hugo Boss couch/lounge thing. That should not have been let out of the zoo.

Bre March 30, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Is it what men want? Who knows. It’s certainly not my style. It’s a little too sleek and modern for my taste. Too much of a smooth talking house for me. It’s like Mad Men meets modern. It has beautiful views, but the flight simulator is a surefire sign (in addition to the rest of the house) that the bachelor has a Peter Pan complex, not so much a Superman one.

Cheri @ I Heart Old Houses March 30, 2011 at 2:36 pm

If this is what men want, they can have it. I can appreciate modern when it’s light and airy, but this is just too dark and masculine for me. Guess I’m more of a girly-girl than I realized!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman March 30, 2011 at 4:04 pm

eh, I don’t like it either. I had to laugh at Comment #12, when Liz said this is a millionaire’s bachelor pad; she had a spot-on description of a “regular guy’s” bachelor pad…that sounds like my hubby’s apartment when I first met him. lol!

Lesley @ TheDesignFile March 30, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I like a lot of the lighting and many of the individual pieces, but I don’t like the total picture (except the view). Still, I’d take a few of those pieces of furniture and happily incorporate them into my home!

T. March 30, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Hi Julia,

Sorry I couldn’t find an email address to send you this link directly, but I thought you would like to see this house that is for sale in Detroit

Claire March 31, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Poor men! The women took all the pretty colors and all the men get is brown. Manly, manly brown. Nice views, though.

susan April 1, 2011 at 12:21 am

To me this just reads really vulgar. I see no elegance, charm or personality.

Nathan April 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm

From the exterior photo, I was excited to see the inside. And once I did, I was quite disappointed. I really don’t like any of the rooms and for the size of the house, I really hope there is another office because that one just seems so small.

{ 1 trackback }