Spotted in the CB2 Catalog: They Say “YES,” I Say “NO”

by hookedonhouses on January 17, 2011

CB2 fresh ink duvet-YES

So, I was flipping through the new CB2 catalog today when this photo stopped me in my tracks. Hmmm. Is it just me, or does it seem like putting the word “YES” in big red letters over your headboard might make you seem a little…overeager? I’m gonna have to vote “NO” on the “YES,” at least in the bedroom.

If I’m going to have a giant “YES” in my house, I’m putting it in the kitchen. I’d be pointing to the sign all the time. YES, I need help with dinner! YES, you have to eat your broccoli. YES, you can unload the dishwasher! Now, that could really work for me.

Two more questions I have about this room:

1. Why the tiny, bath-mat sized rug next to the bed?
  2. What’s with the giant rodent on its hind-legs in the window?

mousepet-CB2

I got the answer to one of my questions, at least: CB2 is selling the mouse pet, a “witty chartreuse iron wire sculpture,” for $79. What do you guys think? Any takers?

P.S. The Queen-size Fresh Ink duvet cover sells for $79. You can see it here.

More Decorating Oddities: Don’t Try This At Home.

Erin January 17, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Agree.
Agree.
Agree.

And that mouse thing is freaky.
.-= Erin´s last blog ..They do exist- they really do! =-.

Desiree Leone January 17, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I agree with you Julia….a little odd but fun to see. Thanks for sharing!

Michelle January 17, 2011 at 11:09 pm

LOL
Loved this post. Yes, I dislike it too. Just strange but I like the kitchen idea…”YES, I’d love another piece of cake!”
I’m cracking up about the rug, we have one just like it next to our bed. I put it there because the dog was scratching up the floor jumping off it when we weren’t home (he’s not allowed on the furniture). It’s like his little landing pad.
~Michelle

Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick January 17, 2011 at 11:32 pm

OH my Julia — I love you girl! That room is totally freakin’ me out. I thought the same thing when I saw the screaming “YES!” Wow. I just went there. Sorry, didn’t mean to. Feel free to delete. :)
P.S. And the light hanging directly over the bed is like a spotlight for the show, youknowwhatI’msayin?

hookedonhouses January 18, 2011 at 7:32 am

Yikes, you’re right about the light. Couldn’t handle that, either! Ha.

Beverly from Montreal January 18, 2011 at 7:54 am

Hahaha, Sarah, you are wicked.

Thanks for giving me my first laugh of the day, Julia.
I have a feeling that this was not accidental but a deliberate set-up on their part.
.-= Beverly from Montreal´s last blog ..Autumn in Montpelier =-.

Kate (Little Beach Bum) January 18, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I have to say…I TOTALLY agree with Sarah’s impression of this room. I just can’t believe the CATALOG went there!
.-= Kate (Little Beach Bum)´s last blog ..Quote of the Day =-.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish January 18, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I thought the exact same thing when I saw this pic! Hysterical!
.-= Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish´s last blog ..Cleaning out the closet … =-.

Design Love January 17, 2011 at 11:44 pm

This post made me chuckle! I agree with you on this totally…… and as for the rodent….no clue, very strange combination!

Cindy, still laughing here!

antiquechase January 17, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Boy your not kidding… what’s up with all of that?? Thumbs down..way down
.-= antiquechase´s last blog ..Urns- Succulents &amp Vintage Garden Pedestals =-.

Lindsay January 17, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Yeah, that’s weird. How about ‘MAYBE’ ? haha
.-= Lindsay´s last blog ..NO-school day =-.

hookedonhouses January 18, 2011 at 7:32 am

Love it!

Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess January 17, 2011 at 11:59 pm

So right! Overeager, pretentious. too busy for the bedroom… it’s all of those things!

In general, I don’t love words in home decor, because I think it makes the analytical part of your brain work too much when it should be relaxing (I wrote about it here), but this CB2 example just strikes me as silly!

Thanks for the post. :-)

xoxo,
tanja
.-= Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess´s last blog ..my week as a crazy coupon lady =-.

liz @ bon temps beignet January 18, 2011 at 12:07 am

No to the yes and NO NO NO to the giant rat. Thank you.
.-= liz @ bon temps beignet´s last blog ..Beaucoup de Coeurs =-.

liz @ bon temps beignet January 18, 2011 at 12:08 am

‘not tonight, I have a headache’ would have been better ; )
.-= liz @ bon temps beignet´s last blog ..Beaucoup de Coeurs =-.

Bethany January 18, 2011 at 12:17 am

LOL!! I can think of some other words I’d like to put in the kitchen as well. But they would be as tacky as the yes in the bedroom.
.-= Bethany´s last blog ..A little family update =-.

Ashley January 18, 2011 at 12:39 am

This is funny! I’m going with “NO” also. I think that mouse would be okay if it was a third that size and it was in the kitchen peering into a bowl of food or something… that would maybe be little more “witty” than watching you sleep. Yikes!

There really is not much that I would say “yes” to in that bedroom… except for the books at the end of the bed. I love to read! :)
.-= Ashley´s last blog ..4 Years =-.

Lisa January 18, 2011 at 12:51 am

Seventy-nine dollars for a WIRE RAT? No thanks.

This room is tacky. I definitely like some of the CB2 stuff because it appeals to the small portion of me that likes modern design (like less than 10%) and they have some cool stuff. But… yeah, I don’t get this one. When I see the “yes” sign, I keep thinking of frat guys going out to buy that and put it over their bed.
.-= Lisa´s last blog ..The Nap Schedule =-.

Annie@A View on Design January 18, 2011 at 1:16 am

love the mouse, but I’d paint it white def!!!
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..Benchmark Balmain =-.

Ivy January 18, 2011 at 1:34 am

The mouse is a little creepy, to me. The rug is way too small and if I put a big YES in the kitchen, the teenager would only be asking “Can I have pizza for breakfast/lunch/dinner?”

hookedonhouses January 18, 2011 at 7:31 am

Maybe I didn’t think that through. My kids would be saying the same thing… :)

Karen T. January 18, 2011 at 2:04 am

The rug is way too small. And personally, I don’t want any size rat in any room of my home! The only rodent I like is Mickey.

Karen T. January 18, 2011 at 2:10 am

Whoa!!! I just had to add this comment after going to the CB2 site. Those big red letters cost $149.?!

hookedonhouses January 18, 2011 at 7:30 am

Tee January 18, 2011 at 3:21 am

Oh dear!!! They should fire their decorator… thats a horrible bedroom! *lol*
.-= Tee´s last blog ..Bilderas! =-.

etta January 18, 2011 at 6:16 am

ahahha… it’s too much for me this “Yes” Thing.. maybe it’s a message for the hubby… :-) and she put the “no” when she had headhakes :-P
Kisses
ETta

hookedonhouses January 18, 2011 at 7:30 am

Ha!

bermudaonion (Kathy) January 18, 2011 at 6:58 am

I was kind of hoping the YES was someone’s initials. LOL

Ricki Jill Treleaven January 18, 2011 at 7:07 am

Yuck. Yuck X 100! I think the “fresh ink” duvet is actually pictures of STD’s under the microscope…..STD’s young men could possibly catch from “YES Girl’s” bed. The shower mat is to remind said young men to R*U*N to the shower. Immediately. And don’t forget the antibacterial shower gel.

And we know where rodents like to hang-out…in filth.

I say “pass” on the entire room….Not “YES” but H#!! NO!!!
.-= Ricki Jill Treleaven´s last blog ..My New Beverage Station -D =-.

Luciane at Homebunch.com January 18, 2011 at 7:20 am

It seems to be a kid’s room, simple and “normal”. Is it something I would buy? No. BUT, some people like “clean” lines and that bed is pretty much like that. Very common in Europe. Not my particular taste though.

Mice aren’t welcome in my house… not even like that. Especially at $80 bucks!

I’d rather spend that money in something more “useful”… :-)

Interesting post, Julia.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Jenny January 18, 2011 at 7:49 am

The bedspread is strange in its own right!

OK, I have another take on this YES thing…at the bottom of the bed is a big stack of books. The lamp is a reading light and over the bed. The room is minimalist. I’m seeing this YES to reading a stack of books screaming out to me, but hey, I’m a reader! ;)

The rat…don’t have a clue …uh…maybe to amuse the cat who will be snuggled on my feet while I read all the books? ;)

This isn’t the MBR for sure, so this is where you go to read while your spouse is snoring in the MBR. LOL! So when you get there and settle down with your books in silence, you go “YES!” I march to a different drummer. ;)

hookedonhouses January 18, 2011 at 8:15 am

Have to say I hadn’t thought of that! Almost like one of those library posters–”Say YES to Reading!” :)

Sheila Krehbiel January 18, 2011 at 7:50 am

Yeah, that would be a big, fat no. Blech. I always looks through the CB2 catalog because I like Crate and Barrel and because my sister-in-law (who has good, interesting taste) likes it. But I never like it. The stuff is just too linear and modern for my liking. Not digging the rug or the rat or the letters. I’m with Tanja, as I’m not a fan of words written/posted/hung in the house (although a big “yes” over the wine rack sometimes sounds like a fab idea). Super-fun post, though, so kudos to the room designer in a roundabout way!
.-= Sheila Krehbiel´s last blog ..Writer’s tool- MoreWordscom =-.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman January 18, 2011 at 8:08 am

some of those catalog set ups are just so WEIRD & unrealistic! That mouse is ugly!
.-= Handy Man, Crafty Woman´s last blog ..Bathroom Closet- Before &amp After =-.

Southgate January 18, 2011 at 8:19 am

I, too, say NO. I think I would put the YES in my laundry room, as in YES, the dirty clothes go here. YES, they must be folded once they are dry, and YES, I’ll take all the ironing assistance I can get!
.-= Southgate´s last blog ..Setting the Table =-.

Emily January 18, 2011 at 8:29 am

I think it’s hilarious, but not my taste and never would I do that in my own house. The rat is odd and creepy.
.-= Emily´s last blog ..Orange- Aqua- and Plum! =-.

Mike January 18, 2011 at 9:21 am

Well, I’m going to be the contrarian voice – I like it. It’s amusing and funky. I even like the mouse – kind of cartoonish.

However, this would be an awesome entry for the “Catalog Living” website: http://catalogliving.net/

Tanya January 18, 2011 at 9:45 am

I love the idea of the letters – even the colour and font are great. But, perhaps you’re right about the exact word choice. Something more random would be great. The mouse is odd. But hey, sometimes odd is what floats someone’s boat.
~Tanya
.-= Tanya´s last blog ..Coming Apart at the Seams =-.

karen @ our slo house January 18, 2011 at 10:03 am

I have to agree with you with all three. The word ‘yes’ is just weird there. There are so many other interesting words you could use. ; )
.-= karen @ our slo house´s last blog ..kitchen inspiration =-.

Deb January 18, 2011 at 10:04 am

Even without the giant YES, I don’t care for the room. It’s too cold, especially for a bedroom. That wire rat is too realistic and creepy.

Jenny January 18, 2011 at 10:04 am

LOL, I noticed the rat before I noticed the YES sign. Both are very odd!
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..Homeschool Weekly Review =-.

Pat January 18, 2011 at 10:40 am

I would take the big YES and smack the rat with it. When the rat was sufficiently flat, I would roll it in that tiny rug and throw it out.
Then I would re-decorate.
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Two Blogs – One Brain =-.

Nichole January 18, 2011 at 10:41 am

I agree with you – no on the yes. And since we have our own “pet” mouse that literally knawed it’s way into the attic from the outside, I think I’ll pass on the CB2 version.
.-= Nichole´s last blog ..Fat Tuesday Volume III =-.

Cheryl January 18, 2011 at 10:43 am

Do they sell the whole alphabet? “Yes” is fine sometimes but what about the other nights? For example: “Not tonight I have a headache” or “I’ve been doing dishes and laundry for the last 4 hours so NO” or “Tell me I’m pretty and maybe…”. Great for the couple who need to communicate better.

Heather January 18, 2011 at 10:46 am

The rat is just plain creepy. And that red light looks like it would shine like a spotlight over the bed. I think the room was designed by an immature, over-sexed person with bad taste.
.-= Heather´s last blog ..Pardon My Rant =-.

Ruth January 18, 2011 at 11:01 am

Oh my!! I don’t like anything about this room!!

Christi at A Southern Life January 18, 2011 at 11:15 am

Well, it certainly is a conversation starter! Not sure if I’m talking about the YES or the RAT but they are both pretty funny. Can’t imagine having that rodent in any room of the house! Might make a great gag gift though.
.-= Christi at A Southern Life´s last blog ..Southern Decadence on a Dime =-.

Traci B January 18, 2011 at 11:17 am

YUCK!! I wouldn’t pay 79 cents for the rat much less $79. That would completely freak me out everytime I saw it. I’m betting there are going to be a lot of rats on clearance.
.-= Traci B´s last blog ..Woe is Me!! =-.

Amy Button January 18, 2011 at 11:24 am

Um, yeah, no. I loved CB2 when it first came out but they’ve lost me since then.
.-= Amy Button´s last blog ..Locked Out =-.

melissa January 18, 2011 at 11:25 am

LOL oh my gosh, I looked at that and it didn’t click in my brain! Of course you wouldn’t want a big “YES” above your bed! Especially since this looks like a teenage girls room. For goodness sake! The big wire mouse is silly, but someone might really like to have it around (not me). Thanks for pointing this out…too strange.

leen January 18, 2011 at 11:26 am

I think it’s for “Yes, the rat does have to watch!”

Vulgar, I know, but I couldn’t resist!
.-= leen´s last blog ..What I DIDNT blog about! =-.

Carbzilla January 18, 2011 at 11:35 am

I actually have a bath size rug right next to my bed because our floor is freezing! I can’t speak to the mouse. This is someone’s hip design gone terribly wrong.
.-= Carbzilla´s last blog ..Lift those spirits… =-.

Dean January 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm

This “CB2″ is affiliated with Crate & Barrel???
That is one of the ugliest decorating jobs I’ve seen in a long time. My first thought about the “YES” was one of Yoko Ono’s installations back in the 60s or 70s (a positivity message), but this is all sorts of wrong ….or “NO”. And who would want a big wire rat? And the lamp? This is all too perplexing to me.

Angie January 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Hmmmm…LOL…ok, I guess there is a not so subtle subliminal message here. But even if I get pass the big YES as a headboard, the rodent so totally creeps me out!
.-= Angie´s last blog ..Kitchen Project- Backsplash =-.

Sandy January 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I think the small rug is practical. It’s small so you can easily wash it, and not immediately touch the cold floor when you wake up. You really don’t need a gigantic area rug that is mostly under the bed.
To me, the bedspread is the worst part. It’s too busy compared with the bare everything. The wording I think was the most “edgy” way they could think to advertise they sell expensive letters.

Sally January 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I would have to agree. No on the YES. However, you’re right about the possibilties for the kitchen. Also, NO on the rodent & small carpet. Apparently that is only for your toes VERY FIRST dip of reality in the morning. After that, you’re on your own.

p.s. I’m kinda likin’ that red floor lamp. =)
.-= Sally´s last blog ..How Sweet It Is! =-.

Susan S January 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Hmm, well, I’m truthfully indifferent about the red “YES”. I might interpret it to mean an affirmative mantra for each day that I awake although it’s not my style.

The rug is definitely too small, but I like the mouse. It’s cute and I could see tying a festive ribbon around the neck to dress it up! I like a little whimsy here and there.

Kelly Berg January 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm

cute post. love your kitchen “yesses”!! I don’t love the space, but maybe it’s ok for a dorm room. It looks very temporary, like someone’s just stickin’ around for a month or two…and is apparently very agreeable.
.-= Kelly Berg´s last blog ..Another Stylish Blogger Award! and my answers to the Color Questionnaire =-.

Marie January 18, 2011 at 2:46 pm

How about “Sleep” or “Relax” or “Calm” but not in bright red lettering.

Melesa January 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm

RATS are disgusting and gross! I don’t care if they are made of real gold, UGH! The letters need to be SLEEP or DREAMS. I’m not digging it at all :-( I can understand a rug beside the bed, but what about house slippers instead, if it’s about the cold floor?

Stacy @ Design Something Better January 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Hmmm.

I agree. The wire mice? Maybe they have a Cinderella theme in mind that is just not being conveyed. How disappointing, CB2. Besides, when I think of places I could spend $79, a mouse wire sculpture doesn’t jump to the front of my mind.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile January 18, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I blogged about that yesterday too! Hilarious. My husband thought maybe it should read “OH NO” and my friend thought it should be “NOT NOW” if it’s above the bed.

I didn’t even notice the rodent. Scary!!!
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..Must-Have 17- A conversation piece =-.

The English Organizer January 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm

It looks to me like an over-eager salesperson sleeps in this bed, and likes to gaze fondly at the YES before closing their eyes each night.
.-= The English Organizer´s last blog ..More Questions to Ask When De-cluttering =-.

Kim January 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm

What a poorly designed room. That “YES” doesn’t work in there, that lamp looks like it’s about to droop down onto the bed, and who would want to wake up to a mouse in the morning real or not? I know I wouldn’t.

I’m guessing that rug is there for people to step on in the morning, so they don’t slip on the wood floor. Especially if they are wearing socks.

Illinois Kathy January 18, 2011 at 4:40 pm

LOL. Um, No. Is this a dorm room? A college apartment? I know I couldn’t afford $79 wire rats in college. I just can’t figure out who this marketing to.

Courtney @ nesting instincts January 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Someday, somewhere, a man who worked for CB2 had a fun and crazy dream about a bedroom. As soon as he woke up, he sketched this room and then designed it accordingly. I mean, come on, it’s clearly a man’s fantasy room, right? The YES…his favorite answer…the rat…a straight man’s attempt at decorating?
.-= Courtney @ nesting instincts´s last blog ..swan song =-.

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady January 18, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Lol, this is a funny post. Just reading the post and the replies made laugh out loud. My boyfriend is looking at me right now, wondering what’s going on :)

By the way, I DO actually like the mouse. Not that I would pay 79 dollars for it, but I think it’s cute!
.-= Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady´s last blog ..Do your New Year’s resolutions need a re-boost =-.

Spring January 18, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Next season they’ll come out with giant a yardstick headboard because, judging by those letters, size does count.

Nooooo, thanks.

Karen January 18, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I HATE mice. I dislike mice. Did I remind you that I really don’t like mice? ICK. I spotted that thing right away and grossed out. I live in an old farm house and have had my share of real mice. I would never decorate with mice. And the YES….gets a no vote from me.
.-= Karen´s last blog ..Current Promotions =-.

Trisha January 18, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Only instance I might give ONE of these items a chance at coming into my home: let’s say I went off my rocker and decided that my child’s nursery/youngster room would be Cinderella-themed. That’s really the only time I just MIGHT give the little mouse a chance at entering a window bench in my home! But 70-something bucks?!? Guess again, Cinderelly.
.-= Trisha´s last blog ..My new favorite vegetable =-.

Cindy Robinson January 18, 2011 at 10:54 pm

It’s like a score-board in a jock’s room!

Bre January 19, 2011 at 1:47 am

Yeah I think the word yes, emblazoned in red and in capital letters, above the bed is a bit much. Agree completely! Maybe the more traditional DREAM would be more appropriate? I usually love C & B and CB2 but this room is leaving me cold. The duvet is an odd pattern, not feeling it. And I LIVE for black and white, especially when it comes to bedding. The mouse is not my style either, that’s definitely a niche item right there. I hope the rest of the catalog was better!
.-= Bre´s last blog ..Golden Globes Hair and Makeup Winners =-.

Susan January 19, 2011 at 4:22 pm

LOL! The room is bad, but the replies have me rolling in my cubicle!

Tara @ Tara Being Tara January 19, 2011 at 10:04 pm

This is just waiting to be on Catalog Living!
.-= Tara @ Tara Being Tara´s last blog ..Belles Flower Girl Shirt =-.

E. George January 20, 2011 at 12:00 am

Hi Julia I only sighned in today Q what type of person are they aiming for an adult or an over confident teen – not for me thanks and the mouse BEN too creepy. Thanks Julia it was fun. Regards Esther from Sydney – our computer lines have been on overload for the past week or so.

Kim @ Sand & Sisal January 20, 2011 at 8:09 am

“Over Eager”!!!! Oh my! Too funny! Yah, this room is screaming for someone to get it’s hands on it and um….redecorate it!

Brittany January 20, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Haha this cracked me up. Everything about this room is weird?! And the wire rodent….no thank you!