Progress Report on Our New Sunroom: Almost Done!

by hookedonhouses on December 17, 2010

Lily on unfinished sunroom porch 12-10

For those of you who have asked how our new sunroom is coming along, I thought I’d give you an update. I took this photo a couple of weeks ago when I found someone enjoying it already!

Since then, things turned bitterly cold and snowy, and we realized we really needed to insulate. We had gone back and forth over it because we’re already WAY over budget (remember, this started as a screened-porch project!), but we bit the bullet and ponied up the extra $900 to insulate the floor, walls, and ceiling.

Here’s how it looked after the insulation was added and the beadboard ceiling was installed:

beadboard and insulation in sunroom 12-10

Next came the beadboard and trim on the walls:

beadboard on sunroom porch

It’s now getting painted white, so it’s looking really bright and cheerful, and the electricians were just here to install the ceiling fan, can lights, and heating/AC unit. Here’s the ceiling fan we went with (Harbor Breeze Tilghman):

Harbor Breeze Tilghman matte white ceiling fan

And the light fixture that will go by the back door, on the brick wall, to replace the security lights that were there:

Portfolio Rubbed Bronze Lantern

Today the tile is supposed to be installed, and the flooring guys should get here any minute. Yay! We chose Castle de Verre in “Grey Stone:”

Daltile-Castle de Verre-Grey Stone tile

It has been so beautiful out there with the snow falling all around that we can hardly wait to use the new room. I’ll let you know when it’s finally done.

*1/11 UPDATE: It’s finished! You can see how it turned out here.

You can read more about the Sunroom here if you want to see how the back of our house looked before we started!

Ricki Jill Treleaven December 17, 2010 at 8:18 am

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the beadboard! Look at all those pretty windows! I am so happy for you, Julia. Hopefully y’all will be enjoying the snowfall from your sunroom at the first of the year. I can’t wait to see the finished product! Thanks so much for the update.

Blessings!
Ricki Jill
.-= Ricki Jill Treleaven´s last blog ..Literary Friday- The Lace Reader =-.

Luciane at Homebunch.com December 17, 2010 at 8:19 am

This is so COOL!!! I was curious to know about your sunroom.
Your daughter looks so adorable, Julia! And she seems to be happy there. Your choices are great! I just can’t wait to see it done. It will be stunning!

Please, if you can go take a look at my post today. It’s very inspiring.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

pk @ Room Remix December 17, 2010 at 8:20 am

It’s looking great! What a pretty view out the windows with all of the trees, too! Happy weekend…
.-= pk @ Room Remix´s last blog ..Creative Decorating DIY Ideas and a Winner! =-.

Jan from Rose Haven December 17, 2010 at 8:22 am

What a lovely new ROOM!! I love your view!
.-= Jan from Rose Haven´s last blog ..Ill Have a Blue Christmas =-.

Connie December 17, 2010 at 8:23 am

The view from your sunroom windows is beautiful!! You will be very glad you opened the checkbook a little wider and insulated … you’ll get that money back in energy savings, and your new sunroom will be WAY more comfortable for you to enjoy your snowy vistas.
.-= Connie´s last blog ..Renovation of Bathroom 2 A Sneak Peek =-.

Lesley @ The Design File December 17, 2010 at 8:24 am

This is going to be just stunning! I really love it and know you will too. I admit it: I’m pretty jealous!
.-= Lesley @ The Design File´s last blog ..Winter white is stylish at the holidays and beyond =-.

MissCaron December 17, 2010 at 8:28 am

So exciting! Can’t wait to see it finished! I know y’all will love that space! God bless!
.-= MissCaron´s last blog ..Holiday Drinks =-.

chris December 17, 2010 at 8:41 am

Oh that looks so wonderful I could sure use one here , can’t wait to see it all done.
.-= chris´s last blog ..Womans Day news =-.

Richella December 17, 2010 at 8:41 am

It’s so exciting, Julia! I’m sorry it cost so much extra to add insulation, but you’ll end up being so glad you did–the room will be so much more useful now! It’ll be exciting to see how you furnish it. One of the great things is that you can use both indoor and outdoor furniture in a space like this, and it all blends together seamlessly!
.-= Richella´s last blog ..A little more Christmas =-.

Kate December 17, 2010 at 8:42 am
Sharon Avinger December 17, 2010 at 8:51 am

Oh, Julia, it brings me back to last year when we were building our sunroom! You are going to love the tile you selected (very much like mine) – it won’t show dirt! Everything is looking GOOD and you’re going to wonder how you ever did without that beautiful room! Enjoy decorating it!

anna see December 17, 2010 at 9:04 am

Sooooooo exciting! Can’t wait to see th finished product!
.-= anna see´s last blog ..Balls- Balls- and More Balls! =-.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top December 17, 2010 at 9:10 am

How exciting! I love the beadboard! It’s going to look so wonderful when it’s finished.

Sally December 17, 2010 at 9:10 am

What a beautiful wooded view. Oh my – you’re going to get lots of use out of this room. I’m so excited for you!
.-= Sally´s last blog ..December Daily Day 14 =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now December 17, 2010 at 9:14 am

So exciting, Julia!! I love the beadboard. It’s going to be such a wonderful room. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Christmas Traditions =-.

Janell Beals December 17, 2010 at 9:18 am

Smart choice!! Everything looks great, love the ceiling and it looks like the walls are going to be great looking as well! Janell

begin with a Sunny Outlook December 17, 2010 at 9:27 am

It is looking fabulous! I bet you all can’t wait to use it. Love the trim and beadboard!

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints December 17, 2010 at 9:48 am

I bet you are soooo excited! It’s going to be beautiful Julia…already is:)
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..full and overflowing =-.

Nichole December 17, 2010 at 9:49 am

The view out those windows looks amazing! So happy for you. :)
.-= Nichole´s last blog ..Life Is Good =-.

Vanessa@Decor Happy December 17, 2010 at 10:38 am

Looks great so far! It must feel like a cabin in the woods out there – how lucky are you?
Thanks for the update. Have a great weekend Julia!
.-= Vanessa@Decor Happy´s last blog ..Catching up with…Sarah Richardson and Tommy Smythe =-.

Jenny December 17, 2010 at 11:32 am

It is going to be so awesome and relaxing! Some day, I hope to have one too!
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..Advent Countdown- Days 11-15 =-.

Christina December 17, 2010 at 12:07 pm

It looks WONDERFUL! I love the beadboard ceiling and walls! Did you install the beadboard over sheet rock, or right over the wall studs? I’d love to do this, and wanted to know how it works.
.-= Christina´s last blog ..Happy Birthday Ali Grace!!! =-.

hookedonhouses December 17, 2010 at 12:26 pm

They hung it over the wall studs, after the insulation was added. They’re painting the rest of the beadboard today, so it’s looking really bright and cheery in there! Unfortunately, the tile guys canceled on us due to snow, but they’re promising to come tomorrow instead. Cross your fingers for me! :-)

jana@opalnevershouts December 17, 2010 at 12:24 pm

What a great space! It looks like it will be a new favorite place in the house. Can’t wait to see it finished! Love the beadboard too!

Nancy Hood December 17, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I love it!!! and look forward to more pics! AND I sure wish that was MY backyard view :)
.-= Nancy Hood´s last blog ..Happy Birthday- IanBaDeun =-.

Maaike Quinn December 17, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Wow, that place looks great already! I love all the windows, you will have so much light in there and the view is awesome! I hope the place will be ready soon :)
.-= Maaike Quinn´s last blog ..Day 23 – Set your Afternoon Routine =-.

Cheri@IHeartOldHouses December 17, 2010 at 1:16 pm

A picture perfect view, warm insulation AND a beadboard ceiling? I’m sooo jealous!!
.-= Cheri@IHeartOldHouses´s last blog ..Selling Out =-.

Susan December 17, 2010 at 2:54 pm

You’re going to enjoy that sunroom SO much when it’s finished!!! It already looks sunny and light filled!
Best,
Susan
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Cold Outside- Warm Inside =-.

Kim December 17, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I absolutely love the sunroom. It will add a lot of value to your home and it will be used alot. Everything you guys are doing to the sunroom is so nice. I love that beadboard ceiling. I can’t wait to see the finished result.

Lauren @ Meet My Ugly Baby December 17, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Wow you & your daughter are so alike! Seems like the painful extra cost of insulation will really pay off when you can use it year-round. Can’t wait to see the finished product… doesn’t it need some creepy dolls or dead grampas or something to qualify as a Hooked On Houses photo??
.-= Lauren @ Meet My Ugly Baby´s last blog ..Spending spree vs kitchen-for-free =-.

Nancy B December 17, 2010 at 5:18 pm

You are one smart lady to go the extra mile and pay for the insulation. Now your gorgeous sunroom can be used year ’round and you will save on your energy costs too. I must say I am green with envy…lucky you. Will you get to decorate it for Christmas? If so, we will want pictures.

Merry Christmas from a lurking reader.

hookedonhouses December 17, 2010 at 8:33 pm

The bad weather has us running behind, so we’ll be lucky to have it done in time for Christmas. The tile didn’t get installed today because of the snow we’ve had this week. Boo. -Julia

grapevine93 December 17, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I can almost feel your excited anticipation. You will appreciate your decision on the insulation overtime. Thanks Mother Nature, for giving you direction. Had it been milder…….?

hookedonhouses December 17, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Very true! When we were discussing it over the summer, we thought, “We don’t need insulation. We just won’t use it on really cold days!” Well, it’s really cold now, and we really want to use it. Ha. -Julia

Joni Webb December 17, 2010 at 7:10 pm

wow! you are sooo lucky! it is going to be so great especially in the summer!!!! it looks so pretty. congrats!

Pat December 17, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Is it possible to be both envious and happy for you? Well I am! It’s going to be so wonderful, I would want to be in there all the time! It so exciting to see it come to completion..can’t wait till you put your wonderful touches on it!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Preparing For… =-.

Susan December 17, 2010 at 8:13 pm

This is sooo exciting, Julia! It looks really big! I love all the light and windows. Have you bought furniture for it, yet? I can’t wait to see how you “decorate.” :)
.-= Susan´s last blog ..The Holiday Movie House Tour- Rosehill Cottage =-.

hookedonhouses December 17, 2010 at 8:31 pm

It’ll be awhile before we can afford furniture, I’m afraid. For the time being, we’ll probably bring some old wicker up from the basement and make do. :)

Judy MacDonald December 17, 2010 at 8:25 pm

It’s looking great, Julia! I love all of the trees in your backyard. It will be wonderful for you to be in that room overlooking that beautiful scenery.

T. December 17, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Very pretty! Is there a heat source out there? If not, you might want to look into a gas stove, such as a Jotul. We had one installed in our chilly family room, and it’s made a HUGE difference. The nice thing is that it turns on without electricity. One winter our power was out for 15 hours in the middle of January, so our furnace wouldn’t kick on, but we had one warm toasty room thanks to our Jotul!

hookedonhouses December 17, 2010 at 9:54 pm

We do have a heating/AC unit out there, thank goodness! -Julia

Nita December 17, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Julia,

What is the size of the room?

hookedonhouses December 18, 2010 at 8:25 am

It’s 17′ x 18′.

Bre December 18, 2010 at 2:11 am

Could Lily be anymore adorable? Clearly she’s a fan of your fantastic sunroom! It’s coming along beautifully, and so fast! Insulating was a smart move, now you can enjoy it all year long. So excited to see more of the finished product. Have a wonderful weekend!

P.S. Send some of that snow to PA please, I’d like a white (grey is not really cutting it) Christmas.
.-= Bre´s last blog ..Traditions =-.

The Witch December 18, 2010 at 8:54 am

This is really coming together beautifully. I love all the big windows which allow so much natural light. The tile choice will just be perfect when installed. Can’t wait to see another up-date you have really done a wonderful job. This space will be utilized more than you think in all the coming seasons ahead.

Liz December 18, 2010 at 9:21 am

I just found your blog recently and have enjoyed viewing it. I love new construction, and I can just smell the new room and fresh cut lumber! That is exactly what we would love to build on our home. We’ve gone back and forth about it being a 4 seasons room or just a screened in porch too. We have such tough winters here we are pretty much relegated to making it a four seasons room though. Looks like a perfect spot for a big ole’ Christmas tree for now! Merry Christmas! Liz
.-= Liz´s last blog ..Part Two- Greetings from Carlsbad- New Mexico =-.

Gloria December 18, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Best,
Gloria
.-= Gloria´s last blog ..A little girl and The Story of Jonah =-.

laney December 18, 2010 at 5:51 pm

..it is just lovely…and view is perfect…just think after christmas spring will soon be here…i can just imagine your new room…sunshine…family…new memories…what more could you want…

sarah macklem December 19, 2010 at 2:47 pm

What a great room. The view is gorgeous. The wicker furniture will be perfect. I can’t wait to see it completed. Enjoy.
.-= sarah macklem´s last blog ..Nautical Christmas 2010 =-.

Amy from China Shepherdess December 19, 2010 at 6:45 pm

You are going to have so much in this space. Congratulations on the progress!
.-= Amy from China Shepherdess´s last blog ..The long winter =-.

Laura December 20, 2010 at 9:49 pm

How lovely!!! What a fabulous project (beadboard is just so wonderful)

And what a cute picture of your daughter – especially against your picture on the top of the page, I can definitely see the resemblance :)

Stacy Gregory December 23, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Wow, so far it looks wonderful. Love all the pretty windows, nice and big. Plus it will be used for a few seasons, instead of just one. Congrats! Best, Gloria .-= Gloria´s last blog ..A little girl and The Story of Jonah =-.

Debby Smith February 28, 2011 at 8:24 am

I would like to see the finished sunroom pictures since Dec. 17 2010 .

hookedonhouses February 28, 2011 at 8:30 am