Does This Count as a Double Vanity?

by hookedonhouses on December 7, 2010

tub and sink combo

Just when I thought I’d seen it all, this “double vanity” popped up in a listing for a $349,000 house in Redmond, Washington. Have you ever seen a tub incorporated into the counter next to the sink before? Seems like things could get awkward when you’re trying to take a bath and someone else needs to brush their teeth…

Thanks to Kat for finding this gem!

Click Here to See More Unusual Things Found in the Real Estate Listings.

Sally December 7, 2010 at 7:50 am

This is hysterical. Never seen anything like it. Looks like they got that beautiful blue counter top on the cheap, & didn’t have a lot of counter-top-altering skills. What d’ya think? =)
.-= Sally´s last blog ..December 6th The Tree =-.

rosie at 3rosebuds December 7, 2010 at 7:53 am

That’s actually creeping me out a little-not sure why. Maybe it’s the paneling or the idea that you would have to climb up on the counter in front of the window to get into the tub. Either way-ick
.-= rosie at 3rosebuds´s last blog ..Christmas Card 2010 =-.

pk @ Room Remix December 7, 2010 at 7:53 am

Hilarious! At least they can see it’s unique. :-)
.-= pk @ Room Remix´s last blog ..Vase Christmas Trees =-.

pk @ Room Remix December 7, 2010 at 7:53 am

oops! I meant SAY it’s unique.

Ricki Jill Treleaven December 7, 2010 at 7:56 am

o-O Goodness! I do not know which is worse….having the tub sunken into the countertop with a scarily fragile-looking bench to help you access it, or the crayola color scheme…..
I guess the tub is worse because you can always buy lots of paint and get new countertops (sans bathtub, one hopes)!
.-= Ricki Jill Treleaven´s last blog ..Our Cottage Kitchen =-.

Robin December 7, 2010 at 8:06 am

There is just so much wrong with this picture…..HaHa!
.-= Robin´s last blog ..My ribbons are organized! =-.

Laura December 7, 2010 at 8:15 am

Wow… I have to say, that houses in the USA definitely aren’t boring! I just can’t get my head around, why someone would think this is a good look?? I bet the realtor couldn’t keep a straight face taking the picture! Lx
.-= Laura´s last blog ..Christmas is a mince pie =-.

Carol M December 7, 2010 at 8:17 am

Trying to think of something positive to say: It would be much easier to bathe the toddlers in. But, oh is that bad looking.

Catherine December 7, 2010 at 8:23 am

Haha…brushing teeth indeed…especially if they spit into your bath water! :-P
.-= Catherine´s last blog ..Seattle Prattle =-.

Lisa Mackin December 7, 2010 at 8:26 am

Should one consider that patriotic…or just plain ugly?!

Stephanie Coop December 7, 2010 at 8:38 am

Wow, this photo is wrong on soooo many levels!!!! Or I guess one level which is very disconcerting!!!
.-= Stephanie Coop´s last blog .. =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now December 7, 2010 at 8:39 am

Ooh, my. And the red walls with blue counter tops aren’t really doin’ them a favor either. :s
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Handmade Gift- Christmas Apron =-.

Mary December 7, 2010 at 8:52 am

An example of a bad DIY job. The paint is badly done too.

Mary December 7, 2010 at 8:53 am

An example of a bad DIY job. The paint is badly done too. Of course, that price IS a handy-man special price for Redmond.

Janell Beals December 7, 2010 at 8:55 am

Absolutely hilarious…I’d feel like a little baby bathing in that tub. Thanks for the laugh this morning! Janell
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..A Pillow Giveaway From A New Etsy Shop! =-.

Anna .S December 7, 2010 at 8:56 am

this is the first time I have seen someone attempt this idea for a bathroom. Well I may not go for it, but I’m sure someone out there might like this, the blue is overwhelming.

the 7msn ranch December 7, 2010 at 9:02 am

I’m thinking the wife wanted a view when she was taking a bath and the husband thought it made more sense to raise the tub than lower the window?

Nichole December 7, 2010 at 9:20 am

I have never seen or imagined such a a thing! Although, if you had a ton of little kids to bathe…

.-= Nichole´s last blog ..Tiny Pockets Of Organization =-.

Sharon December 7, 2010 at 9:37 am

I’m trying to figure out why! Truly, what could their reason be? I hope it’s not sad, like it was built for a disabled person because it might be easier for one to bath another without bending over. I also wondered if it could be for an animal? Or perhaps to do some kind of craft project like tie dying or something? Whatever reason, it is not attractive, especially mixed with the bright blue counters, the bright red walls and the old beat up wood cabinets!
.-= Sharon´s last blog ..New Posts over at Rose of Sharon Garden! =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints December 7, 2010 at 9:50 am

OH MY GOSH! Just when we thought we’d seen it all. This one takes the cake. Too funny!!!
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Merry Christmas to ME!!! =-.

Pat December 7, 2010 at 10:17 am

Whoa..I just had a visual run through my mind of someone getting in that tub…give me a moment to get over that!
Looks like they forgot to watch DYI or HGTV, certainly it wouldn’t have turned out that way if they had. LOL!!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..A Flower In Her Hair =-.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile December 7, 2010 at 10:27 am

I’m with Rosie. I’m finding it just a little creepy. And I wouldn’t want anyone staring at me through that window as I tried to maneuver myself up and into that tub!
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..Christmas decor doesnt have to be red and green =-.

Janelle December 7, 2010 at 10:31 am

Why does it look like it’s covered with painter’s tape?

Holly December 7, 2010 at 10:46 am

Well, it would have its uses. Bathing kids or dogs would be easier. But I’ve never seen anything like it!
.-= Holly´s last blog ..Front Door Wreath =-.

Tara @ Tara Being Tara December 7, 2010 at 10:55 am

That is one of the strangest things I’ve ever seen!!
.-= Tara @ Tara Being Tara´s last blog ..Fun Feature! =-.

Cole@LavishProperty December 7, 2010 at 10:59 am

No, I have never seen anything like that. I can truthfully say that there is nothing I like about that bathroom!
.-= Cole@LavishProperty´s last blog ..50-000-000 – Los Angeles- CA =-.

hip hip gin gin December 7, 2010 at 11:05 am

Oh what in the world. There are no words. But I would love to meet the person who thought this up, just out of sheer freak show curiosity.
.-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..Posh Wellies =-.

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots December 7, 2010 at 11:17 am

lol that is so weird.
.-= Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots´s last blog ..Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Parmesan =-.

Amanda December 7, 2010 at 11:19 am

This made my morning! Hahaha. Especially the fact that it’s right in front of a window- that’s enough to make the newspaper delivery boy crash his bike!
.-= Amanda´s last blog ..Ring Ring- it’s for you! And a small plea for help =-.

Lisa December 7, 2010 at 11:23 am

Well this was interesting. :)
It’s a small tub so I’m guessing it’s to wash kids or small dogs. If you were small enough to fit in it, you would not be able to climb out of it. Would love to know the reason why they did it this way.

Dean December 7, 2010 at 11:30 am

Wrong and wrong.
Just plain wrong.

Crystal December 7, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Woah. Tacky. But then again, it would sure make bathing the babies easier!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman December 7, 2010 at 1:01 pm

What the heck!?!?! I just shake my head when I see some of these things. What are people THINKING?!
.-= Handy Man, Crafty Woman´s last blog ..Favorite Christmas Ornaments =-.

Spring December 7, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I actually toured this house back in February! When we saw it (it wasn’t a foreclosure then) I was trying to make sense of the downstairs – a whole ‘nother post -when I heard my realtor cracking up. Believe me the photo does not do the tub justice. Even with the stool you still have to hike yourself up onto the counter to get into the full-sized tub.

When we saw it the price was lower, BTW.

The rest of the house was pretty bad. Obviously we decided not to get it.

Lisa December 7, 2010 at 1:45 pm

LOL. Well I suppose you could use the tub for a sink??? Ha. This is pretty bad.
.-= Lisa´s last blog ..Little Things =-.

Melissa December 7, 2010 at 1:53 pm

It is definitely ugly. But will reserve judgement, as I don’t know what other bathrooms this house has. The elevated tub does serve a very practical purpose if the homeowners have large dogs to bathe. Otherwise, I would certainly not be stepping up 3 feet to take a bath!

Tiffany December 7, 2010 at 2:01 pm

OMG. What is WRONG with people!

That would never even occur to me. Why not put the toilet up there too?

Luciane at Homebunch.com December 7, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Oh, C’on, GUYS!!! Are you kidding me??? How come nobody sees how useful it is?! They built like this to be able to brush your teeth while bathing yourself. It’s all about multi-tasking!!! hahahahaha :-)

This is a great find, Julia!!!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Melissa Sloan December 7, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Wow! That is all I can say! When I scrolled down and saw this photo I actually gasped. That is crazy strange….

Cathy December 7, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Wow, that’s definitely different. I bet a previous commentor is right, the tub is probably for washing the dog. Yuck!

Susan S December 7, 2010 at 3:04 pm

What the —-!!! And those colors!! You’ve just planted a nightmare in my head!

Kim December 7, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Remond is one of my favorite areas in Washington, but this house is so ugly. Just standing in that bathroom would make me go mental, with all of those yucky colors. This definitely needs a new makeover.

Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip December 7, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Wow! I have never seen anything quite like that!
.-= Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip´s last blog ..THANKSGIVING! =-.

Rachel December 7, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Words fail me! And you wonder about people’s thought processes at times.
.-= Rachel´s last blog ..Mornings =-.

Bre December 7, 2010 at 7:20 pm

haha what WILL they think of next?! Put in a washer, dryer, and mini fridge and I may never leave!

I will be needing a step stool though.
.-= Bre´s last blog ..MAC Viva Glam =-.

Nicole M. December 7, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Instead of the song “rockin around the christmas tree” being stuck in my head I now have “And I’m proud to be an American………….” I wouldn’t want to light a match in that room. The looks of those cabinets makes me think of fire hazard! Super dry!

Pat Smith December 8, 2010 at 1:09 am

Nice faucets too.
.-= Pat Smith´s last blog ..Christmas Spirit =-.

cbean December 8, 2010 at 11:30 am

Ditto…to everything everyone has already said!
LOL

Alycia December 8, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Wow! That’s a new one for me!
.-= Alycia´s last blog ..Christmas Decor 2010 =-.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... December 8, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Blue and red? Eeek
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy…´s last blog ..A Simple Amish Christmas Book Review =-.

courtneyoutloud December 9, 2010 at 11:33 am

WHAAAAAAAAA? That made me snort out loud!
.-= courtneyoutloud´s last blog ..Gift Guide for Tweens &amp Teens =-.

TurquoizBlue December 16, 2010 at 12:56 pm

This is beyond my comprehension. It looks like it could be convenient for a variety of purposes, but visually it is sort of like a surreal painting.
.-= TurquoizBlue´s last blog ..Interweave Crochet Winter 2010 – I’m on the Cover! =-.

Robin Feltner December 25, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Frightening…yet totally hilarious! ha!

missycat December 27, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Dog grooming center?????

Diana March 23, 2011 at 1:41 am

Wow that’s pretty UGLY! It looks like they were going for a red, white and blue theme. That is weird. Is this actually suposed to be a bathtub. It sure looks like one but it’s a little bathtub. Maybe someone made it for a baby or kids bathtub so they wouldn’t have to bend down and get an aching back while giving their baby a bath. It does actually look like it would be really convenient to give a baby a bath in there.

jan August 10, 2011 at 6:13 pm

It would be perfect for my handicapped daughter. I could lift her in and out but would not have to bend over to wash her and her hair. I would have to repaint though!

Spring June 11, 2013 at 11:15 am

I thought I’d give you an update on this house (I toured the house when it was on the market – yes, it was as bad as it seemed. This bathroom had our realtor laughing ’til she cried).

Anyway, a while back (we were going to another open house) we passed by this home and I got excited because I hadn’t seen since it had been sold a few years ago. I was looking forward to what the new owners had done – new paint, a porch covering, getting rid of the Sandford and Sons junk pile in the back…? Or maybe it was bought by a developer (I mentioned it’s in a very desirable area and that lot was a steal at its final price – for those that could afford stuff like buying a house just to tear it down). I whipped out my phone to get a picture, told my husband to slow down so I could get a clear shot, and then! big. fat. disappointment.

They did nothing. Well, the moldy couch was off the (uncovered) porch so there’s that.

I’m holding out hope that they are like us, concentrating on fixing the inside before they tackle the outside (we finally bought a house after three years of looking! yay!). I’ll be sure to check the next time we drive by which should give them plenty of time to mow.

I was hoping for something more exciting to tell you. Oh well.

{ 1 trackback }