Caption This: A Bathroom With a View

by hookedonhouses on November 23, 2010

broken toilet in front of houseDoes that front yard toilet count as an extra half bath? It might come in handy when you have visitors over the holidays…

How would you caption this real estate listing? (Thanks to Rory for finding it!)

Go to Bad MLS Photos to See More!

Ricki Jill Treleaven November 23, 2010 at 8:28 am

LOL Julia, I can’t beat your caption….except to add that the ventilation system is unreliable.
.-= Ricki Jill Treleaven´s last blog ..Thanksgiving Decorations =-.

Nancy Hood November 23, 2010 at 6:55 pm

haha I totally agree with Ricki and loved the ventilation comment!!!!!!!

Luciane at Homebunch.com November 23, 2010 at 8:28 am

How bad is that, eh? LOL

You know what, I’ve travelled a lot and I saw so many times people putting their OLD TOILETS in front of their house because 1x a year (or so) a garbage truck comes and get all of their old, broken things. So, this is more common than I wish.. but, to take a picture of it, is a little bit too weird… and funny! :-)

BTW, I am missing you on my blog! ;-) Go take a look at it whenever you can, ok?

Many hugs,

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Lesley @ TheDesignFile November 23, 2010 at 8:31 am

“Second bathroom offers lots of natural light.”

I can’t believe someone actually included this in a real estate listing. Too funny.
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..John Willey brings pattern- color to getaway home =-.

Robyn Wright of Robyn's Online World November 23, 2010 at 8:32 am

Plenn Air Potty!
.-= Robyn Wright of Robyn’s Online World´s last blog ..I Am Thankful For Coloring Page =-.

Bethany November 23, 2010 at 8:35 am

Well, eliminates the need for a newspaper or flagged been-in-the-bathroom books.
.-= Bethany´s last blog ..When all is said and done =-.

Vanessa@Decor Happy November 23, 2010 at 8:39 am

Can never beat your captions Julia! Always amazed at the listings that you and your readers find.
.-= Vanessa@Decor Happy´s last blog ..Oh- What a Night- Blogger Meetup =-.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish November 23, 2010 at 8:40 am

Wow!! That is truly hideous! How crazy! I can’t think of any thing better than what you did!!
.-= Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish´s last blog ..Creating a Vintage Gray Room =-.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top November 23, 2010 at 8:48 am

haha I just don’t understand why the agent wouldn’t have moved the toilet. Shaking my head…
.-= Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top´s last blog ..Thanksgiving or any party Appetizers-Hors doeuvres =-.

Mel Mel November 23, 2010 at 8:58 am

Wow. Really handy when your husband has a beer party. No mess in the house!
.-= Mel Mel´s last blog ..Snow Day =-.

T. November 23, 2010 at 9:08 am

Is it being used as a planter? I unfortunately have seen toilets used as such…

Cole @ LavishProperty November 23, 2010 at 9:38 am

Wow… just wow!
.-= Cole @ LavishProperty´s last blog ..9-500-000 – Clyde Hill- WA =-.

Lizzy November 23, 2010 at 9:44 am

Unfortunately I can’t really say anything because at present I, too, have a toilet in my front yard.

the 7msn ranch November 23, 2010 at 9:44 am

I don’t have a caption, but it sure does remind me of one of my favorite moments in “The Help,” by Kathryn Stockett (be on the lookout for this movie when it comes out, Julia – it’s sure to have some great houses in it!)

hookedonhouses November 23, 2010 at 10:21 am

I just finished reading that book, so I’m surprised I didn’t think of that scene from “The Help,” too! Such a great book–can’t wait to see the movie. -Julia

Christine November 23, 2010 at 9:46 am

I really have no words. I have also seen toilets used as planters.
.-= Christine´s last blog ..Bieber Wins- Ruins Music World =-.

Janet November 23, 2010 at 9:59 am

“Green” bathroom.
.-= Janet´s last blog ..Dining Rooms =-.

Rosa November 23, 2010 at 10:06 am

Hi Julia ! Having a better look at the picture, I came to the conclusion that the toilet is for the black dog’s use…

Nichole November 23, 2010 at 10:18 am

I actually had a neighbor in my old neighborhood who did this! That’s when I found out after living down the street from her for 5 years, that she is mentally unbalanced. Oh, and the toilet was NOT clean!
.-= Nichole´s last blog ..Less Scary =-.

Buddiegirl November 23, 2010 at 10:23 am

When nature calls…

Cindy November 23, 2010 at 10:58 am

Great opportunity for meeting folks out for long drives in the country.

Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip November 23, 2010 at 11:15 am

LOL! Love it!
.-= Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip´s last blog ..THANKSGIVING! =-.

Lisa November 23, 2010 at 11:46 am

I think the toilet was to balance out the white animal skull. or maybe to let people know there is indoor plumbing or at least there was. :)

Lisa
.-= Lisa´s last blog ..From the auction house =-.

Lisa November 23, 2010 at 12:08 pm

OMG!!!
I would have to say that this one is the best out of the bunch… now that’s curb appeal.
LMAO!!!

Lauren (in PA) November 23, 2010 at 12:17 pm

The grass is always greener on this side of the fence…

Claire November 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Bathroom with a view.
.-= Claire´s last blog ..Putting it Together- Thai Curry =-.

Kelly November 23, 2010 at 12:30 pm

They probably move it around the lawn to do some fertilizing. Looks like the inside of the fence is done, now they are starting on the outside.
.-= Kelly´s last blog ..1887 Queen Anne- Fort Scott- KS =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now November 23, 2010 at 12:45 pm

“One of the demands of the FAU (Farm Animals Union) was a working toilet in the pasture. Farmer Dan was more than happy to comply, as it greatly reduced the amount of manure shoveling he had to do.”
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Thanksgiving Table Rough Draft =-.

KC Chick November 23, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Two captions come to mind: Holy Crap! and “Nature’s Bounty”

Denise November 23, 2010 at 1:14 pm

As someone who grew up on a farm, I suspect it may be a drinking trough for the calf! We used a bathtub for our trough and it was far away from the house.

Kim November 23, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Where’s the toilet paper? I don’t want to wipe with some grass. All they need to do is dig a hole underneath the toilet, and build an outhouse around it. Then they’ve got a nice outdoor bathroom. J/k

This is too funny! Thanks for sharing it with us Julia!

CherylK November 23, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Can’t top that one at all! I definitely wouldn’t be “hooked” on THAT house!
.-= CherylK´s last blog ..A Slippery Slope – So Get A Grip! =-.

sandy@oohlafroufrou November 23, 2010 at 2:19 pm

hahahaha thanks for the fabulous afternoon laugh! What’s scary is that sometimes on a drive through the country in some places you might actually see this! ;)

cailen November 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm

1/2 bath with a view : )
.-= cailen´s last blog ..happy birthday hour =-.

Steven November 23, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Natural Composting Toilet. Going for Leed Points.

Claudia Walsh November 23, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Hello,

That is too crazy for words! Have you ever done a post on Barbara Streisand’s house? I just received her new book My Passion for Design as a gift. Who knew she like to design and decorate? Her house is gorgeous. There’s a mill, barn, and her main house all in one. I’m not sure if I like her decor too much but lover her style of house and how she designed it from the outside. Take care. Happy Thanksgiving!
Claudia
.-= Claudia Walsh´s last blog ..Zac Brown Band =-.

hookedonhouses November 23, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I saw it on Oprah and I’m going to link to the photos this weekend! -Julia

Bre November 23, 2010 at 6:45 pm

hahahaha! Your caption is spot on and priceless! Way to stay classy people!
.-= Bre´s last blog ..SUPER Foods =-.

Dean November 23, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Your caption is the best.
The first thing I thought of was “Custom fertilizer for your lawn”.
I had a landlord who did this front of our property once. After a week, I threw it in the trash can myself, because I couldn’t look at it anymore. It just looks tacky.

Beck November 23, 2010 at 10:07 pm

At least they wouldn’t need air freshener!

Lew January 3, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I live in Centreville, Virginia.

In November/December 2009, a nearby family of hillbillies put two toilets and a bathtub out in their front yard for more than five weeks.

These crazy people thought nothing of it.

However, the woman of the house complained about a neighbor’s yard, because the three neighbor boys parked their bicycles in their front yard, which this fat hillbilly slob objected to.

Toilets: OK in her mind.

Bicycles: forbidden in her mind.

I’m not making this up!

Donna July 9, 2011 at 7:34 pm

This reminds me of a story….when my niece just learned how to “go potty” all by herself and wanted to prove it to all of us…

We were at my mother-in-laws house while she was having her bathroon renovated. Cassidy, my neice, was telling all of us that she can “go potty” all by herself and the next time she goes she will let us know. About 15 minutes later, we all had, by that time, gathered to the adjacent all-glass porch (sunroom) and were able to see the kitchen/dining area. My bro-in-law had replaced the toilet in the bathroom and put the old one in that area, just temporarily, to eventually be put out in the garage. Then someone screeched, excitedly to Cassidy, “GOOD GIRL…WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU” and we all turned to see and there she was, pants around her ankles, very proudly…”GOING POTTY”…RIGHT THERE, ON THE OLD TOILET, IN THE KITCHEN”…..

We all roared with laughter and she had never been so proud of herself….. and by golly, we weren’t going to ruin her ” moment”! We never said anything to her that the toilet wasn’t hooked up for fear it would scar her forever and never trust a toilet!

What a story we tell and so does she…and…

P.S. and the most important question I know you have it was just…….
“NUMBER ONE”!

my bro-in-law was happy about that!

Donna July 9, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Here is the “set-up”….You just purchased this…

“LITTLE CHARMER” in need of “A LITTLE …”TLC”…..is the listing agents original caption for the listing

and this is the photo, along with a note bringing him/her up to date on the progress and thanking him/her for finding you, your “dream” home…

“My husband was determine to ‘RESTORE” the bathroom and I wanted to “RENOVATE” the bathroom…..

so we comprimised…..

we got…………………..the caption reading:

OUR MODERN DAY “OUTHOUSE”!