How to Decorate for Fall in 3 Easy Steps

by hookedonhouses on September 27, 2010

fall porch-Pottery Barn

It’s officially fall, y’all! Does it still look like summer at your house? Here’s how I made the transition from summer to fall in 3 easy steps. Hey, if I can do it, so can you. (Plus, I have a little announcement at the end of the post, so keep reading!)

Step 1:

Take down anything that looks like Summer that you can do without. I pack away my blue pillows, milk glass, etc.

butler's pantry in summer '10

Step 2:

Find a few things in fall colors and textures to replace the summery things with. Here’s how my butler’s pantry corner looks now (you’ll have to imagine a big bunch of sunflowers in that pitcher, which I didn’t get in time for this photo):

butler's pantry in fall

You don’t need much. I bring out:

• darker bowls and pitchers for my kitchen
  • small pumpkins and gourds to put in bowls and on the mantel
  • a wool throw for the family room sofa
  • pinecones in a wire basket on the coffee table
  • black and white photos in black and white frames

Keep it simple. Even a little girl in an orange shirt will work in a pinch. ;-)

Lily-fall fam rm 10

Step 3:

Mix it up. Try at least one new thing each year. I love my new mercury-glass pumpkins. Retire anything that has gotten too musty or dusty, like wreaths that have seen better days or straggly old garland.

buffet in fall

Step 4 (for Extra Credit & a Gold Star):

*If you have a blog, take photos of your home and link up to my Fall Decorating Party on Wednesday (September 29).*

A Gold Star-well done

I’ve been getting requests from readers asking me to host one again this year, so when I heard that The Nester is having a Fall Mantel party this week, I thought I’d have mine the same day. That way you’ll have two parties to link up to. (Can we handle that much partying? I guess we’ll find out!)

UPDATE: The Fall Open House has begun!

Top photo via Pottery Barn.

If You Missed It: Please Take That Fall Wreath Down.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints September 27, 2010 at 10:11 pm

It all looks beau-ti-ful. Great tips. Mine’s not really pretty enough to link up too;)
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Jimmy Johns =-.

Carmel @ our fifth house September 27, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Looks great! I love that orange pitcher and those mercury glass pumpkins are gorgeous! Where did you find them?

hookedonhouses September 28, 2010 at 7:06 am

Home Goods!

Jessica September 27, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Your warm & cozy touches look great Julia…I need to find a little girl in an orange shirt…she’s the best Fall accessory of all, adorable! Love (and I mean LOVE) those mercury glass pumpkins….I think Cinderella could ride to the ball in one of those, in her Autumn gown of course! xo J~

(paid attention to my fingers this time) ; )
.-= Jessica´s last blog ..Age =-.

Adventures in Dressmaking September 27, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Love the fun and simple tips!
Fun idea for a fall decorating photo share!
.-= Adventures in Dressmaking´s last blog ..Pics from the last civil war re-enactment =-.

Pamela Rosenberg September 27, 2010 at 11:15 pm

loved the easy switch out in the kitchen and I am saving the image of the white and silver vignette on the blue sideboard … spectacular. I will use it as a reminder for next year’s decor because I like to mix it up too. :)
Pam
.-= Pamela Rosenberg´s last blog ..Motivated Monday 3 =-.

Marie's Maison September 27, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Hi Julia – Luv your fall decorating tips. Simple enough…but I especially adore those mercury pumpkins! How cool are they!!! Where did you get the cutie in the orange shirt ;-)
-marie
.-= Marie’s Maison´s last blog ..Tea with Marie Antoinette =-.

hookedonhouses September 28, 2010 at 7:07 am

Lily is my favorite fall accessory. She said, “Hey, Mom, I’m wearing orange today. Take a picture of me for your post!” :-)

Josanne September 27, 2010 at 11:33 pm

What a beautiful home-and your pics look like you like to decorate simply, which I also like very much!

I’m not much into fall decorating, but one of my blogs and website is about making chocolate bouquets, so I just bought a TON of candy and fall colored dishes in different shapes and sizes to make some candy arrangements, so those will sit around for a few days after I make them, and they will only last a fall decor for a small amount of time. =)

That pretty little girl resembles you! And btw, I like the new photo of you!
.-= Josanne´s last blog ..Stay Tuned!!! =-.

hookedonhouses September 28, 2010 at 7:11 am

I bought so much fall/Halloween candy at the store yesterday that the cashier raised her eyebrow and said, “Wow, we must be having a BIG SALE on candy!” Um, yeah. I bought it because of the sale. That’s right…

Glad you like the new photo! I thought I needed something that looked less summery. One of these days I need to have a proper photo taken of myself, but this will do for now! -Julia :-)

Kate (Little Beach Bum) September 27, 2010 at 11:49 pm

You have such a beautiful home! Love your tips. When you mentioned pine cones I instantly thought of the cinnamon-scented pine cones you can buy at the grocery store – to me, those completely signify the beginning of fall!

And I love love LOVE that black and white toile chair!
.-= Kate (Little Beach Bum)´s last blog ..Coconut Sweet Potato Curry =-.

gina September 28, 2010 at 12:15 am

Love, Love, Love the mercury glass pumpkins!!

Gotta have em!

Nita September 28, 2010 at 12:22 am

You have to have a mantel before you can decorate one, and I don’t. I have asked my handyman to make me one, since I don’t like the mantel kits I see and I have a bowed, convex (bends inward) brick fireplace, and attaching a mantel will be harder. Oh, I want one so bad.

hookedonhouses September 28, 2010 at 7:12 am

You don’t have to have a mantel to join the party. You can show anything for mine. And Nester says you can show a shelf or whatever you’d like instead if you don’t have one. -Julia

E. George September 28, 2010 at 12:29 am

Hi Julia I only have one word to say b-e-a-utiful…… I love Autumn for its colour and the cool but pleasant air and I love your traditions from this time of the year on to Christmas. When I look at your post and your top 10 I don’t miss out thank you for that…… Regards Esther from Sydney…. PS from what I see you have a warm home to come to…..

Kim September 28, 2010 at 1:52 am

Great tips. You have the best fall decorations. I wish I could participate in your party, but I don’t have any decorations to share.

Cindy September 28, 2010 at 3:09 am

It was an all-time-record-breaking 113 degrees in Los Angeles today! I can’t think about fall yet, but I love your ideas Julia.

hookedonhouses September 28, 2010 at 7:13 am

No kidding? It’s actually chilly here. And the leaves are finally turning, so it’s really feeling like Fall. -Julia

Laura September 28, 2010 at 6:11 am

Beautifully understated, but definitely Fall… Looks fantastic… I’m still mid way through the Summer / Fall transition, but I’ll try and get it sorted for Wednesday! Lx
.-= Laura´s last blog ..A weekend of baking- shopping and wine =-.

Trish @TheOldPostRoad September 28, 2010 at 6:19 am

Our cool weather finally hit, today! I can actually think about autumn, now!
-Trish
.-= Trish @TheOldPostRoad´s last blog ..In My Next House =-.

Maggy September 28, 2010 at 6:39 am

I agree with Jessica .. your lovely daughter dressed in orange is the e *best*
accessory .. what a cutie pie! Love your butler’s pantry (..I’m envious!) and your other fall vignettes, especially those mercury glass pumpkins .. care to let us in on where you got them? :- )

hookedonhouses September 28, 2010 at 7:14 am

Home Goods had all sorts of different pumpkins like these. They also had some coppery looking ones that were fun. -Julia

Samantha September 28, 2010 at 8:52 am

Oh I just made my fall wreath last night! Guess I have a new post to write tonight!
.-= Samantha´s last blog ..Kitchen Makeover Part 2- Cabinets =-.

hip hip gin gin September 28, 2010 at 9:15 am

I am so obsessed with your turquoise sideboard!! I swoon every time I see a photo of it. And the pumpkins look great on top! I need to decorate our house for fall still, every time I set my mind on doing it we have another 80 degree day and then I can’t get in the proper mood.
.-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..A Tartan Tale =-.

The Nester September 28, 2010 at 9:36 am

finally. I figured out what I was missing.

an adorable girl in an orange shirt.
.-= The Nester´s last blog ..The Home of a Home Stylist =-.

Richella at Imparting Grace September 28, 2010 at 9:58 am

Oh, goody, Julia! You just gave me the kick in the pants I needed to get some things done around here! I loved your party last year, so I’m off to get ready for this year’s.

Before I go, though, I’ll say that your house looks WONDERFUL. And so clean and uncluttered! I love that.

When did you post the new photo of you? I just noticed it today. It’s really good!
.-= Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..The sweetest gift =-.

melissa @ the inspired room September 28, 2010 at 10:12 am

I’ll try to remember to link up, I’m knee deep in writing my 31 Days of Autumn Bliss so I’m all about Fall right now! But I hadn’t thought about the girl in the orange shirt. Good thinking!
.-= melissa @ the inspired room´s last blog ..4 Simple Steps to Creating the Home You Want Timeless Advice =-.

Nicole M. September 28, 2010 at 10:14 am

I stored away all the shells and driftwood last week as well. I love fall decor! Luckily I found small pumpkins on sale at Hobby Lobby for 50% off. I got a ton of different sizes and colors. The funny thing is I have a baby shower I am hosting in a few weeks so some of them are going to be painted hot pink b/c the shower theme is “lil pumpkin” and she is having a girl. But, it is nice looking at all the colors of fall in the house for a while.

Kelly, Arte Styling September 28, 2010 at 10:18 am

Your home looks so lovely! And that pic of your daughter (with accompanying comment) is too cute.
I would love to participate in your blog party, but I’m afraid I’d need another month or so. Why? Reason #1) we had a huge water leak in the kitchen and most of the wood floor is ripped up waiting to be replaced. Furniture is everywhere, and it’s not a great photo opp. Reason #2) We JUST started getting summer weather this past weekend. I’m soooo not ready for fall. Funny – there were loads of beautiful pumpkins out at Half Moon Bay this weekend (HMB is known for its pumpkin production) and as we drove by the gorgeous orange and green fields, I asked my husband “who in their right mind would be buying pumpkins right now?”
I guess I’m just in major denial that it’s already fall.
Have a fun blog party – I can’t wait to see everyone’s decor!
.-= Kelly, Arte Styling´s last blog ..Adventures in Half Moon Bay =-.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy & Vintage Whim Wham! September 28, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Awesome ideas!
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy & Vintage Whim Wham!´s last blog ..Free Reads- Christian Fiction Sunday =-.

Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess September 28, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Love the fall decor choices you made. (And love that powder blue bombe chest you have!)

But as another commenter noted, with the HOTTEST DAY EVER RECORDED IN LOS ANGELES happening yesterday, I’m really focused on wearing as little as possible. The crisp, cozy fall vibe feels veeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrry far away! :-)
.-= Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess´s last blog ..the faux taxidermy trend may have jumped the shark =-.

cailen September 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm

great tips! i just LOVE fall : )
.-= cailen´s last blog ..squash- acorn squash =-.

Slowish Food September 28, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I remember shopping with you when you bought that mirror! It’s held up well!
.-= Slowish Food´s last blog ..Taking Stock =-.

Pat September 28, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I just made a my first pot of soup for Autumn, does that count? It’s kind of decorative..LOL!
I’ve been obsessed with those dang mercury glass pumpkins of yours since I first saw them. I went to Homegoods yesterday to buy them BUT….they didn’t have any. I’m going to TX Maxx tomorrow since they are the parent company of Homegoods…hope they have them.
If they don’t have any, send your pretty little daughter. She beats any pumpkins by a mile!!
ps
love your new picture!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Convenience Soup =-.

Cheri@IHeartOldHouses September 28, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Thanks for the tips! Considering it’s 97 degrees here right now (ugh), I’ve been looking for some motivation to get the fall stuff out…I think you just provided it!
.-= Cheri@IHeartOldHouses´s last blog ..Where’s the Wastebasket =-.

Rhiannon September 28, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I always tease my red-headed friends that it’s not fair- as soon as the weather changes they fit right in! No need to decorate! Lucky you, Julia!

PS- I love the mantle decor. Simple and sweet.
.-= Rhiannon´s last blog ..Rainy Day Blues =-.

Design Love September 28, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Hi!
I found you from the Nester’s blog….I love those mercury glass pumpkins!!! Sweet! I will see you tomorrow at the parties…..so excited !

Cindy

Sarah @ Thriftydecorchick September 28, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Whoohoo! I didn’t know my two favorite ladies were having par-tays! I’ll link to them fo sho. I loooove your mercury pumpkins and how BIG they are! I want to come to your house by the way. Love it. :)
.-= Sarah @ Thriftydecorchick´s last blog ..A fall mantel =-.

Que September 28, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Love the pantry pics! fab kitchen I’d be decorating that corner everyday-not just Fall!!
Question though… what is that contraption; er… rather, the appliance on the counter to the viewers left? :)
I have not seen anything like it up here in Canada. It really amazing, very mod-nuclear!
My guess is that it may be a sleek – kind – of – toaster oven?
Is it also a fall attribute in your home?

hookedonhouses September 28, 2010 at 10:00 pm

It does look strange from that angle! It’s a CD player w/ speakers. I have to have music when I’m cooking! And if you looked in the cabinets underneath, you’d find the shelves stacked with CDs. -Julia :-)

Jared September 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I love your house! It’s so clean and stylish. Also what I love to do in the fall is put mums and corn stalks on my front steps. Some people might think corn stalks are tacky but I love the harvest-ie look about them!

Sue September 29, 2010 at 6:57 am

Julia, I almost missed the par-tay!! Yikes. But I added in a few posts that show what I’ve been up to lately. Love the mercury glass pumpkins on the sideboard and the addition of the darker colored pottery in the kitchen cupboard. It DOES say fall! Thanks for hosting again. Glad I could make it. *smile*
~ Sue
.-= Sue´s last blog ..Sunflowers in a Bulb Tray =-.

Kristin September 29, 2010 at 11:42 am

I love your mercury glass pumpkins too! Where did you find them?
.-= Kristin´s last blog ..Shoes and Courtesy =-.

hookedonhouses September 29, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Home Goods. -Julia

Lauren September 29, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Thanks for hosting the linky….the only problem is I’ve spent most of the day looking through everyone’s links! I love the mercury glass pumpkins on the blue sideboard! That whole set up I think is especially lovely:)

hookedonhouses September 29, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I know what you mean, Lauren. I’ve been working my way through the links all day and am just now to #27! Lots of creative people out there with beautiful rooms to show us. -Julia :-)

Arlene G. September 30, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Fabulous tips, every corner looks amazing and with so much space. Love it!

Bre September 30, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Your house is gorgeous! I love all your fall touches and I am still seriously in love with (and seriously jealous of) your turquoise table! I know it was a gift and that makes it even more special. I love fall (hands down favorite. Halloween trumps Christmas in my book) and your tips are perfect. I’ve already decorated my bedroom for Halloween (think glitter skulls and a feathered crow) and I can’t wait to do the front porch! Great post!
.-= Bre´s last blog ..Beauty Transgressions =-.

Susan September 30, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Oh, Julia…I’m sooo sorry I missed this! I even redid my door for fall right around the time of your party. I love your fall decor. The corner cabinets you have are so wonderful for decorating. I love how that space is designed to take advantage of the whole corner…and fun to display your fall pretties!
Susan
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Welcome to the 110th Tablescape Thursday! Sketch Floral Makes Its Debut =-.

Gloria September 30, 2010 at 8:13 pm

What a beautiful home you have! And if that is your daughter, what a beautiful girl you have also! :)
Best regards,
Gloria
.-= Gloria´s last blog ..Happy Birthday to Gary =-.

{ 4 trackbacks }