A “Flintstones” House & More in This Week’s News

by hookedonhouses on September 24, 2010

Stone HouseA “Flintstones-Inspired” Stone House in Portugal: Like Cool.

Most Stumbled Upon Celeb Post This Week: Marilyn Monroe’s House.

A Florida House Covered in Seashells: Completely Coastal.

Jerry Garcia's former home

Jerry Garcia’s Former Home For Sale: Zillow Blog.

5 Teacher’s Lounges Get Makeovers by Brian Patrick Flynn: CasaSugar.

Cape Cod House Plans: The Plan Collection.

The Notebook-Nursing Home

I Stand Corrected–It’s Not a Sears Kit House After All: “The Notebook.”

How Would You Remodel This Small Master Bath? Lookiloos.

Thanks to everyone who sends me interesting links like these each week. I have the best, most helpful readers in the blogosphere! :-)

Maya @ Completely Coastal September 24, 2010 at 10:17 am

Thanks Julia for the shell house mention! Ancient shells, who would have thought. And I just discovered Marilyn’s house now -thanks! Have a great weekend.
.-= Maya @ Completely Coastal´s last blog ..Handmade from Recycled Sails =-.

Issy September 24, 2010 at 10:43 am

Julia, LOVED the shell house! How amazingly cool! I have always had a love affair with all things beachy…

Also, the blog “Completely Costal”?!?!? OMGosh! She has such amazing crafty ideas….not that i’m crafty (i’m more like, well, “craft-challenged”) but such fantastic ideas.

I’ve been thinking about you….know your Grandma is watching over you, my friend.

Much love….
.-= Issy´s last blog ..Its kinda looking like Fall =-.

pamela September 24, 2010 at 11:05 am

It would be so much fun to decorate teacher’s lounges. Not very lucrative, perhaps. But so much fun.
.-= pamela´s last blog ..In The Garden On The Last Night Of Summer =-.

Cheryl September 24, 2010 at 11:56 am

Some very controversial comments to the posting of Jerry Garcia’s house. I myself have nothing but love for the man. He may not have lived his life perfectly but who among us has. His message was love, peace, and acceptance – can’t argue with that.
I suspect some staging has taken place. He was such a colourful person I can’t believe he lived amongst that many neutral tones. I would LOVE to his collection of artwork. Did you know he has a collection of neck ties. Oh the irony!

“Let there be songs to fill the air…”

Cheryl September 24, 2010 at 11:58 am

I meant that he designed a collection of neck ties. I also missed a question mark. I really need to proof read before I hit submit. Sorry Mr. King (honours english teacher of 17 years ago).

Jeannine @ Small & Chic September 24, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I should have known that Julia would post the link to Jerry’s old home before I could! This blog really is the best resource for real estate talk from the design point of view. I love it!

As a deadhead (and producer of the Grateful Dead & Phriends radio show here in Virginia), I have to add that Jerry’s 2nd wife was the person who made his art into ties and put him name on wine, dolls, and other souvenir type goods. His art itself is beautiful and the products made for mass consumption based on it was not. For example, the watercolor titled Dawn at the Ritz Carlton looks nothing like the ugly tie that Koon’s business made to reflect it.

Many have said that Jerry would have thought the ties and wines were absurd. He was an artist and a musician. He believed that one music was played, it was to be shared (hence encouraging people to record concerts and share copies with friends).

The BBC did a wonderful documentary about what happened after he died that might be interesting to watch.
.-= Jeannine @ Small & Chic´s last blog ..You get what you pay for =-.

Cheryl September 27, 2010 at 8:16 am

I will definitley check out the documentary. Wish we received your radio show here, I would take a listen. Thanks Jeannine.

Amanda @ Serenity Now September 24, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Oh, I have GOT to see more of the Flintstones house!!! Great links, Julia. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..-Weekend Bloggy Reading- Link Up! =-.

Kim September 24, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I love the teacher’s lounges. I bet alot of the teachers won’t want to leave when they go in there.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints September 24, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Wow that is some Barney Rubble kind of house. Pretty amazing.
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Mirror Mate Make-over =-.

Pat September 24, 2010 at 5:39 pm

This post was like an Easter basket full of goodies, but not fattening!
The Flintstone house was very interesting. I think of the verse that says the wise man built his house upon a rock…nothing about building it OUT of a rock!
Always liked Marilyn Monroe’s home. It’s nice to see the pictures of today rather then then old grainy black and white. She sure was beautiufl!
Don’t even get me started on the Notebook. Sniffle, sniffle. Having had family suffer with alzheimers, it hits very close to home. Makes one worry about their own last days. One mercy is that the alzheimers patient doesn’t realize that they are in that condition.
Ok..on to happier things….more houses please!!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..This Is Life-Not A Reality Show =-.

Dean September 24, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Great links as always!
I’m very surprised by Jerry Garcia’s former home. I guess I always expected him to be living in something a little more rustic and low-key. Something with a history to it. The exterior of this just reminds me of a McMansion. I actually like the interiors (although, I’m sure it was different when he lived there).
I recently saw an interview with Graham Nash (of Crosby, Stills, Nash and sometimes Young) and it took place in his home in Hawaii. Granted, the locale dictated some of the style of the house, it still seemed to fit him. There was something earthy and organic about it, which I find Garcia’s house to be lacking in altogether.

mary September 25, 2010 at 10:25 am

Jerry Garcia’s home fascinated me for a couple of reasons. I live not far from the location and it doesn’t look like Northern CA. Also, all the comments about it looking like Jerry lived there. . . . remember one of the top rules of staging is to neutralize, neutralize, neutralize so a prospective buyer can “invision” their belongings in the home. On the zillow site there were indeed some very angry, negative comments.
interesting. . . .

Josanne September 25, 2010 at 3:14 pm

The video conversation was in Portugese, I’m assuming, so I don’t know what was being said, but I didn’t see any women in that house. I have a feeling this was actually an interview about the house, but most of the topic geared around why this man can’t seem to find a wife.
“I’m charming-see my dinner candles? I love a warm fire to cuddle up to too! It just makes no sense! I have no electric bills, a cozy little place to live, but no wife…..can you help me to find a wife, Mr. Cameraman?”
The other people interviewed in this video were giving their take on what he should do to find a wife-all of them agreed this should be his writing launch, but he should build a house with running water just over the hill…..
Ok, I’m warped….
.-= Josanne´s last blog ..Mondays New Challenges! =-.

T. September 25, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Julia, have you ever heard of the Mushroom Houses in Charlevoix, MI? Here are some photos:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy & Vintage Whim Wham! September 26, 2010 at 2:01 pm

YAH! You featured the Flintstones house and I love Maya at Completely Coastal.
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy & Vintage Whim Wham!´s last blog ..Free Reads- Christian Fiction Sunday =-.