Get Your House Fix: Fun Weekend Links

Cage-BelAir-extNicolas Cage Loses His Bel-Air Tudor to Foreclosure: Pics.

Rent the House from Nights in Rodanthe (photos of restoration in progress): Vacation Traditions.

20 Gorgeous Celebrity-Owned Outdoor Spaces: CasaSugar.

Guess Who Lives Here cover-Pear Tree

Did the Little Golden Books Influence Your Love for Houses? Pear Tree Blog.

How One Family is Downsizing with Style: Lookiloos.

“Extreme Makeover” Foreclosures Force Show to Downsize Dream Homes: WSJ.

Queen Bee Hook-Heather BullardThis Queen Bee Towel Hook Will Get Guests Buzzing ($8.95): Heather Bullard.

A Former Chapel Transformed into Stunning Modern Residence: Inhabit.

’80s Bath Gets a Beachy Makeover with Beadboard Wallpaper: A Beach Cottage.

In the Sandbox Comic-Movie MondayCartoonist Vicki Jacoby made me laugh with this strip about my Movie Mondays: In the Sandbox.

I love my blog sponsors, including Heather Bullard, A Beach Cottage and Lookiloos. Thanks for visiting them!

Comments

LOVE the cartoon strip!! That is printable, Julia. 😉

I am really interested in the Little Golden Books post…I have something similar saved in my drafts. I like watching Extreme Home Makeover, but I’ve always wondered how people keep up with the homes when they couldn’t keep up with what they had before. :(
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Vintage Inspired Hair Flower Tutorial =-.

That cottage from Lookiloos – oh.my.word. To die for. I love small spaces (when the spaces have doors – i know, i’m probably the odd man out, but i hate open spaces in a house.) I still can’t believe the Nic Cage thing – what a house to have to say good bye to.
    .-= sheri´s last blog ..Inspired by…Pool Living =-.

3. greenie says

Wow! In the comics? You HAVE arrived! :-)

Thanks for the inhabitat.com link–Great site!

OK, I’ve only looked at one link so far, the Lookiloos link, and I was so moved. She has truly make lemonade out of any lemons lift as delt. Her home is so beautiful, but I was so impressed by what is really important which is love of family and keeping the important things around her…things that link her to her past.
    Absolutely uplifting!!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..FRIDAY FAVorite =-.

Julia, great links …..it is so fun to find out about new sites and resources. You’re the best!! Some of the Extreme Makeover homes were such a fantasy for the families…that’s probably a good change.

Karena
    Art by Karena
    .-= Karena´s last blog ..The Winner Is…..& April Food Day =-.

Great links. I bet Nicholas Cage is sad to give up his home. That’s what happens when you spend more money then you have. That house is really nice. I love the staircase.

I personally would not want to live in a chapel even if it was made into a house. Just the thought of living in one creeps me out. Plus think about all of the spirits that would dwell there. I’ll stick with a regular house.

I love the Golden Books. I love the art work they had in the old ones. I don’t really have a favorite Golden Book. My favorite kids house book, is the one called “The Little House”, made in 1942. They made a really short animated movie of it, in 1952, that’s only 9 minutes. You can watch it on youtube. It’s not totally accurate to the book, but it has the same idea. I put a link in, hopefully it works. If not, you can go to youtube and type in: Walt Disney- The Little House – 1952. I loved the the heartfelt story of this book. Maybe that’s what got me to feel sorry for abandoned houses.

I haven’t watched extreme makeover home edition since we have moved. I feel sorry for all of those people that had to go into forclosure. I know the houses are nice, but if I were one of them, and knew I couldn’t keep up the payments, I would have sold my house.

Love the comic, it makes me laugh. They did an excellent job.

That lookiloos link is such a great inspiration. I grew up in small spaces and rentals and (especially now) I’m so thankful that I don’t inherently need lots of space. I’ve seen so many people really struggle with downsizing, it can be so painful. All you need for a lovely, stylish home is love and creativity. Money and space are nice if you can get them, but they are not necessary. The lookiloos homeowner proves that so nicely!

Thanks so much for the mention, Julia! As usual, I also enjoyed the other links you had up, and LOVE your cartoon!! Enjoy your weekend :)
    .-= Lori-Anne´s last blog ..Picture This =-.

Julia, I love the exterior of his house, but I do have to agree a bit about the interior being bordello. Especially in the first photo, the purple sideboard and then the red dragon on the mantel. It’s just…no. I can’t help but feel a bit sad for him though.

Also, I saw on Huffington Post that Diane Keaton has put her Spanish Colonial on the market with a 16% reduction in price. I know you posted about the house and you probably have already updated about it. When I was reading about it on the HP, I couldn’t help but realize how much Monterey furniture she has. I am going to look it up next on your blog next.

I love the cartoon that Vicky Jacoby made about your wonderful blog. I love how the ladies link, share and spread the love.
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..Our special project =-.

darling, I must say I loved the celebrity outdoor pics, I mean they really use personality in their outdoor areas, I guess it’s the “artist” in them!! so I love getting ideas from celebrity homes… and I also thought I’d mention that I love that sponsor you have who draws homes for cards etc.. I’m def doing that for my xmas cards this year as we’ve just built here – I’ll get a big pic drawn and frame it too! great keepsake… also love browsing the home floorplan sponsor you have too – amazing ideas there for our next home!!! well done mate!
    .-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..Sarah Richardson delight =-.

11. Kellye says

The comic strip is adorable. How nice to be immortalized. :)

I’m shamefully behind in reading your entries, but I’m working on them!