Get Your House Fix: Fun Weekend Links

by hookedonhouses on April 10, 2010

Cage-BelAir-extNicolas Cage Loses His Bel-Air Tudor to Foreclosure: Pics.

Rent the House from Nights in Rodanthe (photos of restoration in progress): Vacation Traditions.

20 Gorgeous Celebrity-Owned Outdoor Spaces: CasaSugar.

Guess Who Lives Here cover-Pear Tree

Did the Little Golden Books Influence Your Love for Houses? Pear Tree Blog.

How One Family is Downsizing with Style: Lookiloos.

“Extreme Makeover” Foreclosures Force Show to Downsize Dream Homes: WSJ.

Queen Bee Hook-Heather BullardThis Queen Bee Towel Hook Will Get Guests Buzzing ($8.95): Heather Bullard.

A Former Chapel Transformed into Stunning Modern Residence: Inhabit.

’80s Bath Gets a Beachy Makeover with Beadboard Wallpaper: A Beach Cottage.

In the Sandbox Comic-Movie MondayCartoonist Vicki Jacoby made me laugh with this strip about my Movie Mondays: In the Sandbox.

I love my blog sponsors, including Heather Bullard, A Beach Cottage and Lookiloos. Thanks for visiting them!

Amanda @ Serenity Now April 10, 2010 at 8:11 am

LOVE the cartoon strip!! That is printable, Julia. ;)

I am really interested in the Little Golden Books post…I have something similar saved in my drafts. I like watching Extreme Home Makeover, but I’ve always wondered how people keep up with the homes when they couldn’t keep up with what they had before. :(
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Vintage Inspired Hair Flower Tutorial =-.

sheri April 10, 2010 at 8:43 am

That cottage from Lookiloos – oh.my.word. To die for. I love small spaces (when the spaces have doors – i know, i’m probably the odd man out, but i hate open spaces in a house.) I still can’t believe the Nic Cage thing – what a house to have to say good bye to.
.-= sheri´s last blog ..Inspired by…Pool Living =-.

greenie April 10, 2010 at 9:09 am

Wow! In the comics? You HAVE arrived! :-)

Thanks for the inhabitat.com link–Great site!

Pat April 10, 2010 at 9:27 am

OK, I’ve only looked at one link so far, the Lookiloos link, and I was so moved. She has truly make lemonade out of any lemons lift as delt. Her home is so beautiful, but I was so impressed by what is really important which is love of family and keeping the important things around her…things that link her to her past.
Absolutely uplifting!!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..FRIDAY FAVorite =-.

Janell Beals April 10, 2010 at 9:30 am

I stopped watching extreme makeover after just a few shows, I got nervous wondering how the family would keep up with such a profound change. It’s just not a normal thing that most people can handle, dispite the help received.
Janell
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..Guest Blogger At ‘From The Right Bank’ & Max’s Desk Chair Preferences =-.

Karena April 10, 2010 at 9:51 am

Julia, great links …..it is so fun to find out about new sites and resources. You’re the best!! Some of the Extreme Makeover homes were such a fantasy for the families…that’s probably a good change.

Karena
Art by Karena
.-= Karena´s last blog ..The Winner Is…..& April Food Day =-.

Kim April 10, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Great links. I bet Nicholas Cage is sad to give up his home. That’s what happens when you spend more money then you have. That house is really nice. I love the staircase.

I personally would not want to live in a chapel even if it was made into a house. Just the thought of living in one creeps me out. Plus think about all of the spirits that would dwell there. I’ll stick with a regular house.

I love the Golden Books. I love the art work they had in the old ones. I don’t really have a favorite Golden Book. My favorite kids house book, is the one called “The Little House”, made in 1942. They made a really short animated movie of it, in 1952, that’s only 9 minutes. You can watch it on youtube. It’s not totally accurate to the book, but it has the same idea. I put a link in, hopefully it works. If not, you can go to youtube and type in: Walt Disney- The Little House – 1952. I loved the the heartfelt story of this book. Maybe that’s what got me to feel sorry for abandoned houses.

I haven’t watched extreme makeover home edition since we have moved. I feel sorry for all of those people that had to go into forclosure. I know the houses are nice, but if I were one of them, and knew I couldn’t keep up the payments, I would have sold my house.

Love the comic, it makes me laugh. They did an excellent job.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile April 10, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I love In the Sandbox. That’s so cool!
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..A home made special with local art =-.

hip hip gin gin April 10, 2010 at 3:43 pm

That lookiloos link is such a great inspiration. I grew up in small spaces and rentals and (especially now) I’m so thankful that I don’t inherently need lots of space. I’ve seen so many people really struggle with downsizing, it can be so painful. All you need for a lovely, stylish home is love and creativity. Money and space are nice if you can get them, but they are not necessary. The lookiloos homeowner proves that so nicely!

Lori-Anne April 10, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Thanks so much for the mention, Julia! As usual, I also enjoyed the other links you had up, and LOVE your cartoon!! Enjoy your weekend :)
.-= Lori-Anne´s last blog ..Picture This =-.

Kim April 10, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Julia, I love the exterior of his house, but I do have to agree a bit about the interior being bordello. Especially in the first photo, the purple sideboard and then the red dragon on the mantel. It’s just…no. I can’t help but feel a bit sad for him though.

Also, I saw on Huffington Post that Diane Keaton has put her Spanish Colonial on the market with a 16% reduction in price. I know you posted about the house and you probably have already updated about it. When I was reading about it on the HP, I couldn’t help but realize how much Monterey furniture she has. I am going to look it up next on your blog next.

I love the cartoon that Vicky Jacoby made about your wonderful blog. I love how the ladies link, share and spread the love.
.-= Kim´s last blog ..Our special project =-.

Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip April 10, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Julia: Thanks for posting my comic. I LOVE Hooked on Houses. It’s my daily must read. =)

Also, I just want to thank everyone for the kind words on my comic. =)
.-= Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip´s last blog ..Gears for decorating! =-.

Annie@A View on Design April 11, 2010 at 12:16 am

darling, I must say I loved the celebrity outdoor pics, I mean they really use personality in their outdoor areas, I guess it’s the “artist” in them!! so I love getting ideas from celebrity homes… and I also thought I’d mention that I love that sponsor you have who draws homes for cards etc.. I’m def doing that for my xmas cards this year as we’ve just built here – I’ll get a big pic drawn and frame it too! great keepsake… also love browsing the home floorplan sponsor you have too – amazing ideas there for our next home!!! well done mate!
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..Sarah Richardson delight =-.

Kelli April 12, 2010 at 8:33 am

I’ve often wondered how these Extreme Home Makeover families afford the houses that are built for them. I guess some of them aren’t.
.-= Kelli´s last blog ..Don’t like naked walls? =-.

Kellye April 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm

The comic strip is adorable. How nice to be immortalized. :)

I’m shamefully behind in reading your entries, but I’m working on them!

{ 1 trackback }