Eddie Murphy’s Yellow House in “Daddy Day Care”

"Daddy Day Care" movie Eddie Murphy's yellow house | hookedonhouses.net

Eddie Murphy’s 2003 family movie Daddy Day Care grabbed my attention the minute it opened on this charming yellow house. It’s a real house in Pasadena, California, and has charm to spare. Let’s take a closer look!

"Daddy Day Care" movie Eddie Murphy's yellow house | hookedonhouses.net

"Daddy Day Care" movie house in Pasadena

Eddie Murphy-Daddy Day Care

Eddie Murphy and Regina King play Charlie and Kim, a couple trying to make ends meet after he loses his job. She goes back to work, leaving him to be a stay-at-home dad to their young son Ben (the adorable Khamani Griffin). That’s when he comes up with the idea of starting an in-home day care.

staircase 2

staircase 1

The movie also stars Jeff Garlin and Steve Zahn as Charlie’s partners in Daddy Day Care.

living room 1

living room 4

living room 5

Looking through the living room into the dining room:

living room 2

Daddy Day Care dining room 2

The woodwork and built-ins are just amazing. One of my favorite rooms in the house.

"Daddy Day Care" dining room

Daddy Day Care kitchen 1

Daddy Day Care kitchen 2

Daddy Day Care kitchen 4

Daddy Day Care kitchen 3

Inside the cool, book-lined turret room:

Daddy Day Care movie house turret room

"Daddy Day Care" movie house

"Daddy Day Care" movie Eddie Murphy's yellow house | hookedonhouses.net

The actual house is located in Pasadena, as so many beautiful movie houses seem to be (Father of the Bride and Mr. and Mrs. Smith come to mind!). Interior scenes were most likely shot on a separate soundstage, however.

"Daddy Day Care" movie house

Lindsay at I Am Not a Stalker tracked the house down and took this photo that shows how it looks today:

"Daddy Day Care" movie house  today 351 N. Congress in Pasadena via I Am Not a Stalker blog

Zillow reports that it was built in 1895, has 5 bedrooms, 2 baths, and 3,704 square feet. It last sold in 2011 for $1.35 million. Here’s how it looked via Google Streetview in 2014:

"Daddy Day Care" movie house today Google Streetview

It’s no longer yellow, but still a charmer! :-)

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more, including…

Alvin and the Chipmunks movie set design

"The Women" movie 2008 remake red brick house for sale
The original 1939 version of The Women is a classic. It's so campy and over the top that I always get a kick out of…
movie mantel 5
Nesting Place is having a "Mantel Party" today and I'm playing along. I thought it would be fun to show you 8 mantels from popular…

Comments

1. Carol M says

Great house, but I would love to redecorate it. A few children’s movies that I recall for the houses are “Hook” and “Mrs. Doubtfire”, and, from my own childhood, “Mary Poppins” and “Summer Magic”.

2. Kat in Texas says

Love the banquette breakfast nook and the green tile countertops in the kitchen. In fact, I love all of the green in this house, especially Ben’s bedroom.

I still enjoy watching “Stuart Little” because the house is charming if a bit over the top. And I’m with Carol M–love the Banks’ house in “Mary Poppins.”

My favorite kid movie house was Dennis the Menace. This was such a beautiful yellow home. I like the outside better than the “inside” set. Looks like it would be much more charming on the actual inside.
    .-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..It’s all good! =-.

4. Donna Johnson says

Beautiful bones….but miss the “messy, lived-in” look of Nora Ephron films!

I love this house! Driving around in Pasadena is a feast for a house lovers eyes. I would just love to go inside so many of the lovely homes there!
    I love the turret room..I can just image a cup of tea, a cozy chair and a favorite book…ahhhh.
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..HE IS RISEN ~ AND HE LIVES FOREVER MORE! =-.

6. Gerry says

Oh, I’d forgotten how much I loved that house! So glad someone suggested it. I remember I rented that movie and watched it over several times just to look at the house!

7. Nita says

The Father of the Bride house is in San Marino near Pasadena. This yellow house is a Queen Anne Victorian cottage. I am now writing history columns on historic houses in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties for my newspaper! I love it.

8. Mercedes says

What a beautiful house, thanks Julie!! My favourite houses in kids movies are
    Beethoven, Home Alone (of course) ,Drake & Josh ( a kid sitcom),The Pacifier (with Vin Diesel,Mrs Doubtfire,Freaky Friday, Cheaper by the dozen
    As you can see, I have great experience, with 4 kids, looking at this movies, I found incredible interiors
    Greetings
    PD; last bur not least “The Parent trap”!!!

Yellow houses are so friendly! I wanted to paint our house yellow, but the entire cul de sac has houses in shades beige, tan, taupe, etc. It would have been out of place. Like everyone else, I really like the house, especially the breakfast nook (grew up with one of them), but would want to redecorate. Isn’t that coffee table a little large to fit between those sofas?
    .-= Black Eyed Susans Kitchen´s last blog ..WHEN YOU WALK…WHERE DO YOU LOOK? =-.

10. diana says

I remember watching this movie with my son and loving this house. Thanks

• portiawallwilliams says

what i want to know is what style is the house is this considered a tudor house or a victorian style house what ever style it is I have to know so that I can start looking for it I simply loove this yellow house.

11. Rhiannon says

I love the houses and apartment from Cheaper by the Dozen (the Bonnie Hunt/Steve Martin one). i has a slide that goes all the way from the turret to the outside! How awesome would that be?!

Great house! I especially love that porch!!

My neighbor has a great porch that we all gather on. I can’t wait for warm summer evenings to return! =)
    .-= Vicki Jacoby´s last blog ..Movie Monday!! =-.

13. Billy says

For some reason one story Queen Anne Cottages with turrets, look like the top story of a multi-story house was cut off and placed on the ground.

Amazing house! My favorites are the breakfast nook and Ben’s room. Lucky little man to have a huge room like that. Although if I was him I would spend most of my time in that little nook. I loved little hideaways when I was little that would have been the perfect spot to curl up with a book or have very serious conversations with my teddy bears.
    p.s. I also loved Alvin and the Chipmunks but I must confess it is mostly for the chipmunks! =)
    .-= Hip Hip Gin Gin´s last blog ..Happy Friday! =-.

15. DGotlib says

Something about photos four and five reminded me of the Meryl Streep, William Hurt film One True Thing. Have you ever featured that house?

• hookedonhouses says

DGotlib–
      I haven’t featured One True Thing. I don’t think I ever saw that one, even though I read the novel years ago. -Julia

16. Kim says

I was hoping you were going to do this post. I love this house. That wallpaper wouldn’t bother me because it’s light colored and you can barely see it. I love how old homes have built-ins and backboards. I would love to have my own turret sitting room. I would go sit up there and never want to come down.

There’s so many kid movies I like with houses in them. I love the three story house in the movie Matilda. This isn’t really a kid’s movie, but the Unsinkable Molly Brown mansion. The Swiss Family Robinson tree houses, the homes from the new and old Cheaper by the dozen movies, It Takes Two mansion, the Jumanji mansion, Beethoven house, the old Yours Mine and Ours Victorian home, and Mrs. Doubtfire Victorian home. The old Cheaper by the Dozen home is the same exterior used in the movie Meet Me in St. Louis, but the inside is totally different. As you can see, I love watching old kid movies. I could watch them over and over again. Too bad they don’t make anymore cute kid movies. Now all we get is animated movies.
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..These were once in style? =-.

Yet another movie I have not seen. I don’t know if I can get the husband to watch this one. :) Maybe I’ll get lucky and catch it on TBS. Really cool house.
    .-= Nichole´s last blog ..The Rundown =-.

I actually think this movie is hilarious. My kids wanted to check it out from the library last week to watch again. They love it.

The house is gorgeous.
    .-= Carmen´s last blog ..Easter Menu =-.

I remember that movie, it was so funny! My favorite part of the house is the window seat in the living room. I’ve always wanted a window seat.
    .-= Jenny´s last blog ..Happy Easter =-.

20. Christi says

YEAH!!!! I love, love, LOVE this house!! I’m so excited you did this!! It is seriously one of the most gorgeous houses I’ve ever seen!! Great Job!! I think you are just my most favorite person today! I will be looking at this pics all day now. I just love Ben’s room how it has that extra little section to it!! LOVE IT!! Thank you!!

21. Leni says

I totally want you to do all the movies the above commenters said. I love all those houses. Especially the dennis the menice i love houses like that and is my dream to live in one someday. oooh also the tv show everybody loves raymond has the same feel to it. Thanks i love this blog so much :)

22. tammyCA says

I’m gonna have to rent this movie then…I adore cute yellow houses (mine’s yellow). For kid’s movies…I saw not long ago “Bedtime Stories” (cute house Courtney Cox lives in). “Kit Kittridge, American Girl” – 1930s cute! Someone mentioned “Swiss Family Robinson” – one of my very fave movies, the original…I always wanted to live in a tree house. :)
    Some other movies, not really a kid’s movie, but I love the little house in “Jerry Maguire”…and, the backyard. Another old fave is “The Egg and I” from the ’40s…love how Claudette Colbert turns a shack into a cute farm cottage…I think I like cozy & cute more than anything.

23. Corey Higgins says

Hi, I am wanting to build the Daddy Day Care yellow house for my parents, very deserving and have always wanted a home like this. Do you have the house plan or do u know where i can find it.

• hookedonhouses says

Corey–
      Sorry, but I don’t. I was unable to find much information about this house at all. Good luck! -Julia

24. ang says

I loved this house rented the movie several times so i could model it inside and out, even though the inside might have been a sound stage.

I love all the fine art in the movie Daddy Day Care. I live the paintings throughout the house! The one in the liv room has inspired me to paint one similar. It is the one above the fireplace. If anyone wants some custom oil paintings, let me know?
    Angie Woods

26. Michelle says

I remember watching scenes from this movie over and over just to see the house. Thanks…at least I now know I’m not the only one!

27. Dawn says

Have you thought of including the house in the Vin Diesel movie “The Pacifier”?

P.S. I love this site – I’m so pleased I’m not the only one who is inspired by the houses in movies.

• hookedonhouses says

That is a great house. I’ve watched that movie multiple times with my kids over the last few years! -Julia :-)

28. Melanie says

I love the movie Anne of Green Gables. There are many beautiful homes in that movie!

29. Victoria says

Have you seen the house from the movie Matilda? Beautiful.

30. Amy says

Hi, :)

I was just wondering, do you know where exactly this home is loacted? I assume in the USA. Can you actually go and see it it?

I adore this home, it’s so lovely :)