Eddie Murphy’s Yellow House in “Daddy Day Care”

by hookedonhouses on April 5, 2010

Daddy Day Care house-exterior 2

After getting repeated requests for pics of the Daddy Day Care house–including one e-mail that shouted “I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU NEVER DID THE DADDY DAY CARE HOUSE!!!” I broke down and rented it last week to see what all the fuss was about. Well, this movie had me from the minute it opened on this charming yellow house. What a pleasant surprise!

Eddie Murphy-Daddy Day Care

The 2003 comedy stars Eddie Murphy and Regina King as Charlie and Kim Hinton, a couple trying to make ends meet after he gets laid off. She goes back to work, leaving him to be a stay-at-home dad to their young son Ben (the adorable Khamani Griffin). That’s when he comes up with the idea of starting an in-home day care.

staircase 2

The Living Room:

staircase 1

The movie also stars Jeff Garlin (who you may recognize from “Curb Your Enthusiasm”) and Steve Zahn as Charlie’s partners in Daddy Day Care.

living room 1

living room 4

living room 5

Looking through the living room into the dining room:

living room 2

The Dining Room:

Daddy Day Care dining room 2

The woodwork and built-ins are just amazing. One of my favorite rooms in the house.

Daddy Day Care dining room

The Kitchen:

Daddy Day Care kitchen 1

Daddy Day Care kitchen 2

Daddy Day Care kitchen 3

Daddy Day Care kitchen 4

The Laundry Room:

laundry room

The “Turret Room:”

vlcsnap-310385

Looking up the stairs to the stained-glass window on the landing:

stained glass window

Master Bedroom:

master bedroom

Master Bath:

master bath

Ben’s Bedroom:

Ben's bedroom 1

Ben's bedroom 2

Ben's bedroom 3

The actual house is located in Pasadena, as so many beautiful movie houses seem to be (Father of the Bride and Mr. and Mrs. Smith, among others.)

Daddy Day Care House-Exterior 4

They filmed most exterior scenes on the property, but I’m assuming the interiors were on a soundstage. I could find very little information about the sets, though, so if anyone knows anything about them, fill us in!back door

Daddy Day Care House-Exterior 3

Are there any “kids’ movies” you enjoy watching because of the great sets? Alvin and the Chipmunks is one of my faves (I posted photos of Dave’s cottage here).

Visit my TV/Movie Houses page for links to all the others I’ve featured.

DJ April 5, 2010 at 7:04 am

I adore this house!
.-= DJ´s last blog ..Twitter Fun =-.

Carol M April 5, 2010 at 7:10 am

Great house, but I would love to redecorate it. A few children’s movies that I recall for the houses are “Hook” and “Mrs. Doubtfire”, and, from my own childhood, “Mary Poppins” and “Summer Magic”.

Kelley April 5, 2010 at 7:18 am

Awesome! Thanks for this!

Kat in Texas April 5, 2010 at 8:19 am

Love the banquette breakfast nook and the green tile countertops in the kitchen. In fact, I love all of the green in this house, especially Ben’s bedroom.

I still enjoy watching “Stuart Little” because the house is charming if a bit over the top. And I’m with Carol M–love the Banks’ house in “Mary Poppins.”

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints April 5, 2010 at 8:19 am

My favorite kid movie house was Dennis the Menace. This was such a beautiful yellow home. I like the outside better than the “inside” set. Looks like it would be much more charming on the actual inside.
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..It’s all good! =-.

Sheila April 5, 2010 at 8:27 am

Lovely house (how was the movie?). The living room reminds me of “Risky Business.” Happy Monday!
.-= Sheila´s last blog ..A lie is a lie is a lie: barefaced vs. bald-faced vs. bold-faced =-.

Donna Johnson April 5, 2010 at 8:32 am

Beautiful bones….but miss the “messy, lived-in” look of Nora Ephron films!

Melanie April 5, 2010 at 8:36 am

I haven’t ever seen the movie but I sure would love to decorate that house:)
.-= Melanie´s last blog ..A girl, a camera, a class, & Karen Russell. =-.

Pat April 5, 2010 at 8:40 am

I love this house! Driving around in Pasadena is a feast for a house lovers eyes. I would just love to go inside so many of the lovely homes there!
I love the turret room..I can just image a cup of tea, a cozy chair and a favorite book…ahhhh.
.-= Pat´s last blog ..HE IS RISEN ~ AND HE LIVES FOREVER MORE! =-.

Michelle April 5, 2010 at 8:53 am

What a beautiful house! I love that wallpaper in the master bedroom and the woodwork in the dining room. Great house!
~Michelle
.-= Michelle´s last blog ..Here Comes Peter Cottontail… =-.

Gerry April 5, 2010 at 9:22 am

Oh, I’d forgotten how much I loved that house! So glad someone suggested it. I remember I rented that movie and watched it over several times just to look at the house!

Nita April 5, 2010 at 9:33 am

The Father of the Bride house is in San Marino near Pasadena. This yellow house is a Queen Anne Victorian cottage. I am now writing history columns on historic houses in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties for my newspaper! I love it.

Mercedes April 5, 2010 at 9:35 am

What a beautiful house, thanks Julie!! My favourite houses in kids movies are
Beethoven, Home Alone (of course) ,Drake & Josh ( a kid sitcom),The Pacifier (with Vin Diesel,Mrs Doubtfire,Freaky Friday, Cheaper by the dozen
As you can see, I have great experience, with 4 kids, looking at this movies, I found incredible interiors
Greetings
PD; last bur not least “The Parent trap”!!!

Black Eyed Susans Kitchen April 5, 2010 at 9:54 am

Yellow houses are so friendly! I wanted to paint our house yellow, but the entire cul de sac has houses in shades beige, tan, taupe, etc. It would have been out of place. Like everyone else, I really like the house, especially the breakfast nook (grew up with one of them), but would want to redecorate. Isn’t that coffee table a little large to fit between those sofas?
.-= Black Eyed Susans Kitchen´s last blog ..WHEN YOU WALK…WHERE DO YOU LOOK? =-.

Catherine April 5, 2010 at 10:15 am

I do so LOVE this house. And, I have a daycare in my home. Why, I could just move right in!!
.-= Catherine´s last blog ..Woman’s Best Friend =-.

diana April 5, 2010 at 10:19 am

I remember watching this movie with my son and loving this house. Thanks

Lesley @ TheDesignFile April 5, 2010 at 11:01 am

Love this house! So beautiful. And the dining room built ins are amazing. If those are sets, they’re really well done. It really feels like the inside of the house. Nice!
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..Giveaway: A chalkboard decal for you or the kids! =-.

Amy April 5, 2010 at 11:04 am

I never saw the movie but this house is amazing. Love the turret.
.-= Amy´s last blog ..I’m Back…Again =-.

portiawallwilliams July 15, 2012 at 11:06 pm

what i want to know is what style is the house is this considered a tudor house or a victorian style house what ever style it is I have to know so that I can start looking for it I simply loove this yellow house.

Rhiannon April 5, 2010 at 11:06 am

I love the houses and apartment from Cheaper by the Dozen (the Bonnie Hunt/Steve Martin one). i has a slide that goes all the way from the turret to the outside! How awesome would that be?!

Vicki Jacoby April 5, 2010 at 11:50 am

Great house! I especially love that porch!!

My neighbor has a great porch that we all gather on. I can’t wait for warm summer evenings to return! =)
.-= Vicki Jacoby´s last blog ..Movie Monday!! =-.

Billy April 5, 2010 at 11:58 am

For some reason one story Queen Anne Cottages with turrets, look like the top story of a multi-story house was cut off and placed on the ground.

Hip Hip Gin Gin April 5, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Amazing house! My favorites are the breakfast nook and Ben’s room. Lucky little man to have a huge room like that. Although if I was him I would spend most of my time in that little nook. I loved little hideaways when I was little that would have been the perfect spot to curl up with a book or have very serious conversations with my teddy bears.
p.s. I also loved Alvin and the Chipmunks but I must confess it is mostly for the chipmunks! =)
.-= Hip Hip Gin Gin´s last blog ..Happy Friday! =-.

Vanessa April 5, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Too funny. My daughter and a friend were watching this over the weekend and I wondered if you had ever done a post on this house and here it is. Love the yellow exterior.
.-= Vanessa´s last blog ..Happy Easter Weekend + One of a Kind Spring Show =-.

DGotlib April 5, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Something about photos four and five reminded me of the Meryl Streep, William Hurt film One True Thing. Have you ever featured that house?

hookedonhouses April 5, 2010 at 4:07 pm

DGotlib–
I haven’t featured One True Thing. I don’t think I ever saw that one, even though I read the novel years ago. -Julia

Kim April 5, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I was hoping you were going to do this post. I love this house. That wallpaper wouldn’t bother me because it’s light colored and you can barely see it. I love how old homes have built-ins and backboards. I would love to have my own turret sitting room. I would go sit up there and never want to come down.

There’s so many kid movies I like with houses in them. I love the three story house in the movie Matilda. This isn’t really a kid’s movie, but the Unsinkable Molly Brown mansion. The Swiss Family Robinson tree houses, the homes from the new and old Cheaper by the dozen movies, It Takes Two mansion, the Jumanji mansion, Beethoven house, the old Yours Mine and Ours Victorian home, and Mrs. Doubtfire Victorian home. The old Cheaper by the Dozen home is the same exterior used in the movie Meet Me in St. Louis, but the inside is totally different. As you can see, I love watching old kid movies. I could watch them over and over again. Too bad they don’t make anymore cute kid movies. Now all we get is animated movies.
.-= Kim´s last blog ..These were once in style? =-.

Nichole April 5, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Yet another movie I have not seen. I don’t know if I can get the husband to watch this one. :) Maybe I’ll get lucky and catch it on TBS. Really cool house.
.-= Nichole´s last blog ..The Rundown =-.

Carmen April 5, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I actually think this movie is hilarious. My kids wanted to check it out from the library last week to watch again. They love it.

The house is gorgeous.
.-= Carmen´s last blog ..Easter Menu =-.

Jenny April 6, 2010 at 12:20 am

I remember that movie, it was so funny! My favorite part of the house is the window seat in the living room. I’ve always wanted a window seat.
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..Happy Easter =-.

Mom in High Heels April 6, 2010 at 6:07 am

Indy looooooves this movie. Loves it. He watches it as often as I’ll let him. Sometimes I don’t mind because I love the house so. It’s gorgeous. The turret room makes me swoon.
.-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..RTT: Easter and other nonsense =-.

Annie@A View on Design April 6, 2010 at 6:13 am

great great great – love it to bits!
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..The Lindrum 58 =-.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions April 6, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I haven’t seen the full movie either, Julia. The house is gorgeous though. I love the kitchen and the turret area ~ what a great spot to have a library with floor to ceiling books!

Christi April 6, 2010 at 12:24 pm

YEAH!!!! I love, love, LOVE this house!! I’m so excited you did this!! It is seriously one of the most gorgeous houses I’ve ever seen!! Great Job!! I think you are just my most favorite person today! I will be looking at this pics all day now. I just love Ben’s room how it has that extra little section to it!! LOVE IT!! Thank you!!

Leni April 6, 2010 at 10:58 pm

I totally want you to do all the movies the above commenters said. I love all those houses. Especially the dennis the menice i love houses like that and is my dream to live in one someday. oooh also the tv show everybody loves raymond has the same feel to it. Thanks i love this blog so much :)

tammyCA April 7, 2010 at 2:23 am

I’m gonna have to rent this movie then…I adore cute yellow houses (mine’s yellow). For kid’s movies…I saw not long ago “Bedtime Stories” (cute house Courtney Cox lives in). “Kit Kittridge, American Girl” – 1930s cute! Someone mentioned “Swiss Family Robinson” – one of my very fave movies, the original…I always wanted to live in a tree house. :)
Some other movies, not really a kid’s movie, but I love the little house in “Jerry Maguire”…and, the backyard. Another old fave is “The Egg and I” from the ’40s…love how Claudette Colbert turns a shack into a cute farm cottage…I think I like cozy & cute more than anything.

Corey Higgins April 16, 2010 at 6:21 am

Hi, I am wanting to build the Daddy Day Care yellow house for my parents, very deserving and have always wanted a home like this. Do you have the house plan or do u know where i can find it.

hookedonhouses April 16, 2010 at 6:46 am

Corey–
Sorry, but I don’t. I was unable to find much information about this house at all. Good luck! -Julia

ang April 27, 2010 at 12:28 am

I loved this house rented the movie several times so i could model it inside and out, even though the inside might have been a sound stage.

anim8ter July 16, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I love all the fine art in the movie Daddy Day Care. I live the paintings throughout the house! The one in the liv room has inspired me to paint one similar. It is the one above the fireplace. If anyone wants some custom oil paintings, let me know?
Angie Woods

Michelle September 4, 2010 at 5:31 pm

I remember watching scenes from this movie over and over just to see the house. Thanks…at least I now know I’m not the only one!

Dawn November 6, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Have you thought of including the house in the Vin Diesel movie “The Pacifier”?

P.S. I love this site – I’m so pleased I’m not the only one who is inspired by the houses in movies.

hookedonhouses November 6, 2010 at 5:47 pm

That is a great house. I’ve watched that movie multiple times with my kids over the last few years! -Julia :-)

Melanie January 11, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I love the movie Anne of Green Gables. There are many beautiful homes in that movie!

Victoria January 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Have you seen the house from the movie Matilda? Beautiful.

miss. tomlinson(Amber) February 10, 2011 at 3:57 pm

i have seen that house from matilda….. and yes it is gorgious

Amy August 26, 2011 at 1:42 am

Hi, :)

I was just wondering, do you know where exactly this home is loacted? I assume in the USA. Can you actually go and see it it?

I adore this home, it’s so lovely :)