Before & After: Beach House Makeover on Tybee Island

by hookedonhouses on January 29, 2010

beach-house-ext-afterOn cold winter days like this, when it seems like the sun will never shine again and the snow will never melt, I could spend hours poring over the photos of beach houses in Coastal Living. This one on Tybee Island looks good to me today. I especially love the long screened porch that runs the length of the house, overlooking the sand and water.

beach-house-porch-after

Jane Coslick is the talented designer who transformed it from a dark and dated home to a light, bright, beachy retreat for the Wilson family. Here are some of the rooms before and after she worked her magic on them.

Dining Room Before:

After:

Guest Room After

Master Bath Before:

Bath Before

After:

Bath After

You can read more about this beach house transformation and see the rest of the photos at Coastal Living. The artwork in the house was done by Bellamy Murphy, and you can read more about it on Jane Coslick’s blog.

Love Beach Houses? Click Here to See More That I Featured!

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs January 29, 2010 at 8:33 am

What a beautiful transformation!
.-= Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs´s last blog ..~?A Bedroom Tour?~ =-.

Aprons Gone Wild January 29, 2010 at 8:39 am

Julia…reading you blog each morning with my coffee jump starts my day. Always such beautiful pictures and neat information. You’re a jewel! Thanks!
Joanne
Aprons Gone Wild
.-= Aprons Gone Wild´s last blog ..Red Fire Petite Size Batik Apron =-.

kath January 29, 2010 at 8:49 am

I’ve been in this house for a photo shoot for the catalog I work for. It is completely adorable everywhere.

Erin January 29, 2010 at 9:31 am

Jane Coslick is just so talented!!! Every room I’ve seen by her is just pure delight!
.-= Erin´s last blog ..James Salomon =-.

Annie@A View on Design January 29, 2010 at 9:32 am

wow, great transformation, the bathroom is unrecognisable!!!
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..Daylesford Dreaming =-.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno January 29, 2010 at 9:42 am

Jeez, if only I could hire a designer….those after pics are totally gorgeous. Although, I can’t help but wonder where those high ceilings came from in the afters?!
.-= Sara @ Russet Street Reno´s last blog ..Reader Reno – A Patio from Colorado =-.

Art by Karena January 29, 2010 at 9:52 am

It is magical, I love to see these transformations! I will go right now and check on Jan’s site!
Karena

Sarah @ Dream In Domestic January 29, 2010 at 9:56 am

It looks so serene and calm! I love all the white with little pops of color here and there!
.-= Sarah @ Dream In Domestic´s last blog ..Think About It Thursday: Why Do We Have So Much Stuff? =-.

the wild raspberry January 29, 2010 at 10:07 am

this house is fantastic….
i adore that pantry door!!

chasity
.-= the wild raspberry´s last blog ..A Peek into the Pantry =-.

Julie January 29, 2010 at 10:21 am

Tybee Island is FULL of little homes just like this. Its a wonderful, quiet, untouristy little beach town. So stop posting about it, lol! Jane has done great work & even rents out several houses. Check out mermaidcottages.com
.-= Julie´s last blog ..Big changes coming! =-.

Stacy@RedDoorHome January 29, 2010 at 10:45 am

A wonderful transformation. So bright and cheerful.
.-= Stacy@RedDoorHome´s last blog ..What You Didn’t See =-.

rachel @ perfectly imperfect January 29, 2010 at 10:53 am

ahhh… lovely. much better for my eyes (and stomach!) than the last home you featured! : ) i’ll check out jane coslick right now…
rachel
.-= rachel @ perfectly imperfect´s last blog ..kitchen… the mostly ‘After’ pictures =-.

Rachel January 29, 2010 at 11:18 am

sniff sniff…when can I move in? :)
.-= Rachel´s last blog ..Outdoor Fun =-.

Pat January 29, 2010 at 11:27 am

MMMmmm, what a beautiful respite for this winter weary soul!
I’ve learned though the ages that I love the absence of color for my own home. I admire others who fill their homes with bright colors, (except for your last post!) but for my own personal calm living…this is the look for me. I love the worn white furniture and that porch is calling my name.
Boy, could I spend the winter there!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..FRIDAY FAVorite =-.

Kristin January 29, 2010 at 11:29 am

I sure would like to be there right now!! Lucky Wilson family…!
.-= Kristin´s last blog ..Weekend wishes… =-.

Struggler January 29, 2010 at 11:48 am

Wow, that was dark and dated – what a shame. But it looks wonderful now!
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..Whose Stocks Would You Buy? =-.

Blakely January 29, 2010 at 11:49 am

I could so live there.
.-= Blakely´s last blog ..Tired =-.

Deidra January 29, 2010 at 11:56 am

Much better after. But since it’s near the beach, I would take the before version in a hot minute!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger January 29, 2010 at 12:03 pm

OOOOOOOh, pretty! Me likey!
.-= the BLAH BLAH BLAHger´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday: Vintage Beauty =-.

Bailey January 29, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Why do you torture yourself/your fellow snow bound eskimos like this!?!? I want to go to there.
.-= Bailey´s last blog ..Happy Friday =-.

Donna January 29, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Next month, a group of 7 girlfriends, are heading to Tybee Island & Savannah for a long girl’s weekend. We are renting a Jane Coslick cottage named “The Lime Parrot.” You can probably imagine the incredible colors in this beach house! It will certainly be a bright spot in our winter doldrums! Ummm… beach house colors, seafood, art and beautiful scenery. Not bad for a 3 day weekend!
.-= Donna´s last blog ..My 2010 Weekly Planner =-.

anna see January 29, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I love before and afters like this! So bright and fresh.
.-= anna see´s last blog ..Repeat After Me: "I am a strong, capable woman…"* =-.

Jocelyn Stott January 29, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Oh my that tub – I have dreams about a tub like that, I am not even kidding. I love it!
.-= Jocelyn Stott´s last blog ..Thanks, Mom =-.

Nathan January 29, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I really don’t like the pantry door that was chosen for the kitchen, but other than that, I really like everything.

Kim January 29, 2010 at 3:07 pm

What a transformation. These people of good tastes.

Jamilyn January 29, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I love the transformation! Unfortunately If I were house hunting and saw it “before” I would have walked on…I am working on my vision though. You really need it to see the potential of an outdated home! I guess the location is enough to convince anyone to go for it and grab it up. Sure wish we could! Our dream is to own a vacation home.

~jamilyn
.-= Jamilyn´s last blog ..Want To Be Here Right Now =-.

Kathy :) January 29, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Just what I need….Calgon take me away LOL

I just sent off my renewal form for Coastal, I just love that magazine…..Julia what do you think about the Kindle…..I really like holding my books & magazines….but I have heard people talking about them and how much they love them, just wondering what you thought !!!

Have a great week-end,
Kathy :)

Cori Heffernan January 29, 2010 at 4:45 pm

This is like opening the freezer in July and taking out a snowball from last winter! (I can’t wait for that day. I am soooo cold)

Mary Kay Andrews January 29, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I’ve stayed in the Wilson’s guest cottage, and it is even more charming in reality. Erica, the owner, is a talented junker always searching for the perfect piece, so things change around a lot. The ocean view from their porch has t0 be seen to be believed. Perfection! Thanks for reminding me, Julie.

Cheryl January 29, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I love the long screened porch, too. The house itself is awesome and looks so much better after the makeover.

Ruthie's Renewed Treasures January 29, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Okay, I already have beach fever and now I’m really hooked!!!

Ruthie

Debbie January 29, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Hi Julia, what a great post. Love this house and I love it even more because it was plain and now is beautiful! Most homes start out plain but hopefully with love and care they turn out g beautiful! I too love to jumpstart my morning with your blog! There is always something good goin’ on over here!
Blessings,
Debbie
.-= Debbie´s last blog ..Pink and Chocolate-Quilting =-.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile January 29, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I love the before & afters. It really makes you realize what is possible.

The new spaces are gorgeous!

Thanks.
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..Giveaway: Last days for Red Letter Words entries =-.

Jenny January 29, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Beautiful! I love it, except for the bathroom. It looks too cold.
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..stART: Valentine Surprise =-.

Chic Coles January 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm

The before and after pictures are really something! The kitchen just blows me away!
.-= Chic Coles´s last blog ..Libraries =-.

E. George January 29, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Hi Julia I too never miss a day of checking out your blog to tell you the truth is one of the highlights of my day or night. Love the afters – everything about it is perfect except could they have done a different colour for the pantry door something a bit more subtle? Thanks Regards Esther from Sydney waiting for Autumn weather and colour…..

Dianna@DecorMadeSimple January 30, 2010 at 1:31 am

Wow, the after pictures are amazing. I love the bead board on the walls and the great transformation in the bathroom.

le @whoop whoop January 30, 2010 at 7:36 am

just love love love that kitchen make over – how fab – thanks Julia – best le
.-= le @whoop whoop´s last blog ..My Own Home Front – My Style =-.

linda@LimeintheCoconut January 30, 2010 at 8:43 am

I LOVE her magical transformations! Beautiful. sand on the floors perfect!
.-= linda@LimeintheCoconut´s last blog ..Warmth… =-.

Flory January 30, 2010 at 9:21 am

well for me everything’s fine even the door of the pantry looks more like an accent piece on that corner!
.-= Flory´s last blog ..Pendant Lamp =-.

Janell Beals January 30, 2010 at 10:17 am

Yes, wouldn’t be just perfect to get away from the winter at this place. The worn chairs at the counter are just right…Janell
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..A Change Of Plans =-.

beth thrasher February 6, 2010 at 9:26 am

love this house so much! another great project from jane coslick and fun paintings from bellamy murphy!

marketing@janecoslick.com February 7, 2010 at 8:37 am

Thank you for sharing this wonderful restoration of an amazing beach house on Tybee Island. Reading all the comments makes me want to blog more about what to look for beyond the surface “uck” when considering restoring any home. This great old beach house had been “modernized’ in the 70′s . The large old windows had been replaced by metal small windows. The 11 foot ceilings had been dropped to 8 feet with ugly accoustical tiles . The wooden tongue and groove wall had been covered with cheap stained plywood paneling.
The magical old beach house stood there calmly waiting to be brought back to life in all its wonderful glory….no granite counter tops or stock kitchen cabinets ….its true and perfect glory. Thanks again for being Hooked on Houses.
Jane Coslick

laura @ hollywood housewife February 8, 2010 at 11:31 am

I got married in Savannah, so I have a fondness for Tybee Island. It is a beautiful island, and the makeover here MUCH better suits the style of the area. Great before & afters!
.-= laura @ hollywood housewife´s last blog ..blissdom ’10 is not a star trek convention =-.

Robynne {Mrs. ATC} February 10, 2010 at 4:31 pm

This is gorgeous! I love beach houses….yummy!
.-= Robynne {Mrs. ATC}´s last blog ..Checkin one of the list! =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints April 11, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Not sure how I missed this one. What a lovely makeover. That kitchen turned out adorable. Loved the chairs and torquoise pantry screen door. So charming:)
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..The greasy spoon =-.

Bill Kelly July 9, 2010 at 4:03 pm

It’s great to see these older homes refurbished rather than torn down and built over. We’re seeing a bit of a movement on Hilton Head Island where the older beach houses are being preserved…and I think it’s great. Can’t beat the character of an old beach cabin!

Holly Austin January 29, 2011 at 11:41 am

That turquoise pantry screen door has been a favorite of mine for a long time – love it!

Tamika September 6, 2011 at 7:14 am