Decorating With Your Kids’ Artwork

by hookedonhouses on January 23, 2010

My Kids Art-elephant

A friend of mine has lost her kitchen cabinets. She knows they’re still there somewhere, but she can no longer see them. They’re buried under her twin daughters’ artwork. I mean every inch is covered. The papers are taped on top of each other in so many layers that you can no longer see the wood.

She says it’s driving her nuts, but she doesn’t know how else to display it. “I wanted to encourage their love of art,” she laughs, “but things got a little out of control.” Surely, I thought, there’s a better way.

My Kids Art-turquoise

If you have a child in preschool like she does–let alone two–then you know that they bring stacks of their paintings and drawings home every week. What do you do with it all?

Sabine SchoepkeMeet Sabine. She’s one of my blog’s sponsors and has young twins herself. She came up with a creative solution for their artwork, and a new business for herself:  My Kids Art on Canvas. Sabine explains:

I started experimenting with displaying my children’s art and had some of my favorite pieces printed on canvas. Instead of taping your kid’s art on your fridge, why not display it as beautiful canvas art on your walls? Children’s canvas art not only looks amazing, but it also inspires their creativity and boosts their self-esteem.

My Kids Art-tulips

Isn’t that a fun idea? When they’re on canvas, they look professional enough to hang in any room, so they’re not just relegated to the kitchen or playroom. I think they’d make great Mother’s and Father’s Day gifts, too (and the prices are reasonable!). Visit Sabine’s website to learn more.

How do you display your kids’ artwork?

Learn how to turn your child’s painting into a piece of art at Sabine’s website: My Kids Art on Canvas.

My Kids Art on Canvas

isa January 23, 2010 at 10:50 am

Hi Julia! I love the canvas idea!
When my son was little his paintings covered my entire kitchen, too! I laminated his artwork and used them as placemats. Every morning at breakfast we all got to feast on great food and art at the same time. It made breakfasts more beautiful and fun. It thrilled boy wonder. We gave sets to the grandparents for Christmas – they were a huge hit.
xo Isa
.-= isa´s last blog ..All Work and No Play… =-.

Janell Beals January 23, 2010 at 11:33 am

What a great way to display your children’s art. I’m a huge fan of incorporating children’s art into a family’s home, with a lot of my children’s art framed throughout the house. The canvas idea offers another great way to do this!
Janell
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..Drapes – Done & Loving Them! =-.

Why S? January 23, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I like the canvas idea but there’s really only so many of those that your walls could handle. I love the placemat idea. One could also photograph them and have them printed on mugs through services like Zazzle or CafePress. Then give them as gifts as necessary. Also, if you really don’t have a lot of wall space you could display them as a slideshow on a digital photo frame.
.-= Why S?´s last blog ..Why Why? don’t Wii =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now January 23, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Neat idea!!!

I am a bad, bad mom. I save only the best crafts (like the Christmas wreath made out of Natalie’s hands) and toss the others when she’s not around. She has never asked about them. I keep them in a file folder…when there are enough, I’ll get a small box for them. I just can’t deal with any more clutter, but I do want to have some reminders of her creativity in her preschool years. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Friday Favorites =-.

Destiny D January 23, 2010 at 3:56 pm

We took pictures of drawings/art projects etc. that we couldn’t save and put them in an album. Not creative, but effective, nontheless…

Kim January 23, 2010 at 4:54 pm

When I was growing up, my parents put together a keepsake box for each of us, and that’s where all of our artwork and other stuff went. I have mine now and it’s fun looking through all of my old stuff.

Tracy January 23, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Most of my daughter’s childhood art is in a big (BIG) box but some of the pieces that were out on rotation for the longest time have been framed and hang in my office. Now that she’s a grown-up art major, I’m adding more serious looking pieces to my collection but I have to say, the grade school paintings are still my favorites.
.-= Tracy´s last blog ..Comfort is. . . =-.

Angie January 23, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I have a 12X12 3 Ring Binder that I load the artwork into. My kids like looking through all of the art they have done throughout school years, and they are protected with page protectors. Plus it is quick and easy to do!

My favorite pieces I frame and hang in the kitchen, or in the kids rooms.

Angie

Candy @ SoBella Creations January 23, 2010 at 5:45 pm

What a great idea! Off to check out her website.
.-= Candy @ SoBella Creations´s last blog ..Beautiful Blogger Award =-.

Rebecca January 24, 2010 at 12:20 am

This is a great idea. I know of people who have just put their children’s original artwork in frames with wide mattes and even that is sufficient enough for an important place in the living room or family room (or anywhere really)! But, I’ll have to check out this canvas idea too! Thanks!

Home January 28, 2010 at 2:29 am

I always agree that a child’s work is as innocent as their hearts. So start collecting their artworks and post them as decors. It is so lovely too watch them in your wall. :-)

Carrot June 9, 2010 at 3:10 am

This is cute!

Dawn June 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Oops, the link is not working.