Meadowbrook Farm: A New Kitchen With Vintage Appeal

Meadowbrook kitchen-before

I think you’ll really love Teresa’s farmhouse kitchen renovation. Regarding the not-so-pretty “before” space she started with, Teresa says: “I cannot begin to describe how disgusting the kitchen was. Cedar shakes ran around the tops of the cabinets, the light fixtures were covered with thick brown dirt and when we removed the cupboards, we found a mouse graveyard. Blech!”

The room has been completely transformed since the days when mice were allowed to roam free:

Meadowbrook Farm Vintage kitchen2

She decorated her farmhouse kitchen with fun vintage finds that give this newly renovated room a colorful retro look.

Meadowbrook Farm vintage kitchen collage 2

It just charmed my socks right off!

Meadowbrook Farm vintage kitchen cabinets

Meadowbrook Farm vintage kitchen collage 1

Meadowbrook Farm vintage kitchen

Her dining room is just as bright and cheery. They added a wall in the kitchen to create the separate dining space:

Meadowbrook Farm vintage dining room

Big thanks to Teresa of Meadowbrook Farm for letting me share her remodel with you. Visit her lovely blog for more photos and details!

Julia-simple teal signature

P.S. Click here to see more makeovers, including…

Lettered_Cottage_Half_Bath_CeilingA Half-Bath Gets Cottage Style

I showed you lots of great makeovers in 2009, but here are 5 of the most popular. Click the "before" photos to see the "afters."…
On cold winter days like this, when it seems like the sun will never shine again and the snow will never melt, I could spend…

What a gorgeous, comfortable & welcoming kitchen!! I love kitchen makeovers the MOST, having lived thru one of my own. Still always collecting ideas though…. 😉
    .-= Kirsten´s last blog ..Where do we go from here? =-.

2. donna says

Wow that is a beautiful and happy kitchen, you can almost see it smiling! Great job.

WOWEE! I love what she did with her kitchen. The colors are so bright and cherry. I like the way she accessorized too! I linked to your “10 Ways to Be Happy” today. I went back and read it yesterday, and you had some wonderful tips. :)
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Friday Favorites =-.

Hi Julia,
    I love her kitchen! I have been a big fan of hers ever since I discovered her blog. I think it is one of the most cheerful kitchens I have ever seen! Thanks for showcasing it.

.-= LeAnn´s last blog ..Morning Fog =-.

I just love that kitchen of hers! I’m a huge fan in an almost stalker kind of way LOL She’s made me rethink some of my kitchen choices, so soon you’ll see some glass doors in mine and maybe a little more color 😉
    .-= rue´s last blog ..More than you wanted to know =-.

It’s so amazing! What gets to me the most is the vision. I so love it when people can look at a total disaster of a house and see past it to what they think it could become. When I watch many programs on TV of people house hunting and they can’t get past the ugly wallpaper border in the kitchen and don’t buy it because it’s “ugly” I cringe inside! Sometimes I think people have become spoiled instead of inspired.
    OK, I will now step down off my soap box! This re-do is beautiful….very inspired!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..FRIDAY FAVorite =-.

7. Susan S says

That’s got to be the sweetest and cutest kitchen ever! How could anyone ever be grumpy in such a cheerful environment?

P. S. Congratulations on your blog’s 2nd anniversary! You’re my daily dose of cheer!!

SO cheery! I love it! It doesn’t even look like a remodel (in a good way) it looks like it happened over time…very good.
    .-= Bailey´s last blog ..Happy Friday =-.

9. Heidi says

Stunning! THAT’s what I want to create in my kitchen when we finally get to remodeling our kitchen!! I want HOMEY not trendy!

Oh! I LOVE that kitchen. It just looks so fresh and clean, and I really like all the vintage touches. Farmhouse with a bit of cottage thrown in. Thanks so much for sharing that, Julia. Gotta run now so I can check out the rest of her remodel on her blog! Have a great weekend!
    .-= Cyndi´s last blog ..Noah on Winter =-.

I’m with Pat. This is a truly inspired makeover. I too laugh at those HGTV programs where the people decide against a home based on an ugly lighting fixture or stained carpeting. Those programs should show a few houses with a mouse graveyard. That’ll teach ’em.
    .-= Why S?´s last blog ..Turns Out, We Live in a Mansion =-.

12. Deanne says

I love this kitchen redo. How happy she looks! I swore I’d always have a yellow kitchen, but years ago went to white and jadite. After seeing this, think I’ll add some yellow accents with my jadite. Will always have white cabs, I know that.
    I’m going back to the 1910 hardwood on my main floor…need to come back to this page for inspiration, knowing that one day I will be able to take pics that look this good! Thanks!
    (Julia..if you want, check out my Slow Going Floor photo album on facebook. I can picture it done! lol)

13. Room without a view says

Wow, what a beautiful job! I am stuck on what to do with my kitchen (1960’s wood paneling style cabinets…lol) so any ideas on how to gussy them up without making them look like painted wood paneling would be great! :)

Hi Julia! first of all….I love all your posts…always…but I really love this one! I don’t know what it is in us that loves a good before and after picture but somehow we enjoy the ooooh and aaaaaah moment! I thank God for make-up…and the before and after moment in the morning AFTER I put makeup on! hahahaha
    Anyhooo…..great posts.
    .-= Debbie´s last blog ..Make-Shabby Valentine Pots =-.

15. greenie says

Wow, talk about a complete overhaul! Not really my style at all, but it is beautiful. Love looking at before and afters!

I just found your blog and spend a looong time sipping a coffee and brousing through it…and I`m done jet!!
    Thank you for sharing all this beautiful, inspiring posts. You will probably make me save a lot of money because instead of buying more and more of those Home deco magazines I will come to your blog and enjoy what I`ll find…WONDERFUL!

Julia-This is so bright and cheery! Adding a wall…that is a new twist! I love those green knobs and handles! Thanks for finding this for us!

I absolutely love this kitchen!! I want it so badly. I would love to paint mine this shade of blue. Actually, I’m picking out a shade and hope to go get it tomorrow at Sherwins for my laundry room. It is a blue and i hope it turns out to be similar in color to this room. Can you tell me the name of the color and what paint company? I fell in love with blues and turquois shades and heard that DIY voted it as the top color of 2010.
    .-= Valiegal´s last blog .. =-.

• hookedonhouses says

Go to Teresa’s blog to see if she tells the paint color. I’m not sure what it is, but I love it! -Julia

Her kitchen is fabulous, I am in love with all the color, the fresh feel and yet the retro classic look! so perfect, thank you for sharing…I am just smitten, maybe in my next house I can have a kitchen like this!
    .-= Tara´s last blog ..Plantable Valentines~ =-.