Meadowbrook Farm: A New Kitchen With Vintage Appeal

by hookedonhouses on January 22, 2010

Meadowbrook kitchen-before

On Wednesday I asked you what you’d like to see more of on my blog this year, and most of you answered (drumroll): Before and Afters! Well, your wish is my command. I think you’ll really love this farmhouse kitchen renovation from Teresa’s blog, Meadowbrook Farm.

Regarding that not-so-pretty “before” space (above) that she started with, Teresa says: “I cannot begin to describe how disgusting the kitchen was. Cedar shakes ran around the tops of the cabinets, the light fixtures were covered with thick brown dirt and when we removed the cupboards, we found a mouse graveyard. Blech!”

The room has been completely transformed since the days when mice were allowed to roam free:

Meadowbrook Farm Vintage kitchen2

She decorated her farmhouse kitchen with fun vintage finds that give this newly renovated room a colorful retro look.

Meadowbrook Farm vintage kitchen collage 2

It just charmed my socks right off!

Meadowbrook Farm vintage kitchen cabinets

Meadowbrook Farm vintage kitchen collage 1

Meadowbrook Farm vintage kitchen

Her dining room is just as bright and cheery. They added a wall in the kitchen to create the separate dining space:

Meadowbrook Farm vintage dining room

Big thanks to Teresa of Meadowbrook Farm for letting me share her remodel with you. Visit her lovely blog for more photos and details!

Hooked on Makeovers? Click here to see more, including…

Lettered_Cottage_Half_Bath_Ceiling

A Half-Bath Gets Cottage Style

Kirsten January 22, 2010 at 8:19 am

What a gorgeous, comfortable & welcoming kitchen!! I love kitchen makeovers the MOST, having lived thru one of my own. Still always collecting ideas though…. ;)
.-= Kirsten´s last blog ..Where do we go from here? =-.

Michela January 22, 2010 at 8:37 am

I think I just had a heart attack. That is the most amazing kitchen I have ever seen!
.-= Michela´s last blog ..Support for a good cause… =-.

donna January 22, 2010 at 8:46 am

Wow that is a beautiful and happy kitchen, you can almost see it smiling! Great job.

songbirdtiff January 22, 2010 at 8:53 am

Beautiful! I’m really getting into the light, airy, colors. (I know, I know, I’m a few years late!)
.-= songbirdtiff´s last blog ..Adoption =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now January 22, 2010 at 8:59 am

WOWEE! I love what she did with her kitchen. The colors are so bright and cherry. I like the way she accessorized too! I linked to your “10 Ways to Be Happy” today. I went back and read it yesterday, and you had some wonderful tips. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Friday Favorites =-.

christy January 22, 2010 at 9:14 am

What a gorgeous renovation. I just love the bright colors they used on the walls. All the white, with the pretty wood floors make me smile. Love it!
.-= christy´s last blog ..Ohm vs. Mexican Jumping Beans =-.

Stephanie January 22, 2010 at 9:23 am

Kitchens like these make me rethink my design plan. It is just so light and bright and airy! Such a happy kitchen.

Another happy kitchen before-and-after is Meg’s kitchen. I am sure you have seen it on her Whatever blog. If not, here is the link:

.-= Stephanie´s last blog ..Feet first. =-.

Sharon~Serendipity January 22, 2010 at 9:25 am

WOW! I love it! I’ve always been partial to white kitchens, and hers is white with a kick! VERY well done!
.-= Sharon~Serendipity´s last blog ..Fun with Photoshop Part 2 (or is it 7? whatever.) =-.

LeAnn January 22, 2010 at 9:29 am

Hi Julia,
I love her kitchen! I have been a big fan of hers ever since I discovered her blog. I think it is one of the most cheerful kitchens I have ever seen! Thanks for showcasing it.

LeAnn:)
.-= LeAnn´s last blog ..Morning Fog =-.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions January 22, 2010 at 9:38 am

Just gorgeous! Thankfully she was able to see beyond all that “before” stuff!

Kristin@Bouelvard Interior Design January 22, 2010 at 9:38 am

Love the happy colors.

Janell Beals January 22, 2010 at 9:50 am

Now that is a nearly unbelievable transformation! Fabulous, so bright and happy!
Janell
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..Drapes – Done & Loving Them! =-.

anna see January 22, 2010 at 10:01 am

I would love to sit at one of those bar stools with a cup of tea. How lovely and inviting. That is one happy kitchen!
.-= anna see´s last blog ..Let’s Hear it FROM the Girl! =-.

rue January 22, 2010 at 10:05 am

I just love that kitchen of hers! I’m a huge fan in an almost stalker kind of way LOL She’s made me rethink some of my kitchen choices, so soon you’ll see some glass doors in mine and maybe a little more color ;)
.-= rue´s last blog ..More than you wanted to know =-.

black eyed susans kitchen January 22, 2010 at 10:17 am

This is by far one of the sweetest kitchens that I have ever seen. Just love the lightness and brightness of it! My most recent blog post features our kitchen redo, with the basic story of why it was done.
Susan
.-= black eyed susans kitchen´s last blog ..EATING IN THE KITCHEN…ROMANTIC =-.

Janelle January 22, 2010 at 10:25 am

I like the cute green cabinet fixtures against the white.

Tracy January 22, 2010 at 10:43 am

Love that kitchen. Farmhouse really does it for me.
.-= Tracy´s last blog ..Comfort is. . . =-.

Gwen January 22, 2010 at 10:54 am

You can almost hear the screen door slam. Love this!
.-= Gwen´s last blog ..Machine Embroidery – Freehand =-.

Vicki January 22, 2010 at 11:05 am

What a GREAT kitchen. I absolutely love it!
.-= Vicki´s last blog ..How would you "order" your life? =-.

MAH January 22, 2010 at 11:22 am

Meadowbrook Farm—-oh what a beauty!!! Her blog is wonderful.

Pat January 22, 2010 at 11:26 am

It’s so amazing! What gets to me the most is the vision. I so love it when people can look at a total disaster of a house and see past it to what they think it could become. When I watch many programs on TV of people house hunting and they can’t get past the ugly wallpaper border in the kitchen and don’t buy it because it’s “ugly” I cringe inside! Sometimes I think people have become spoiled instead of inspired.
OK, I will now step down off my soap box! This re-do is beautiful….very inspired!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..FRIDAY FAVorite =-.

Susan S January 22, 2010 at 11:38 am

That’s got to be the sweetest and cutest kitchen ever! How could anyone ever be grumpy in such a cheerful environment?

P. S. Congratulations on your blog’s 2nd anniversary! You’re my daily dose of cheer!!

beth January 22, 2010 at 11:55 am

I’ve seen this makeover before! It’s so pretty!
.-= beth´s last blog ..A frame for Caleb’s poster. And some big plans. =-.

Dawn January 22, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Love at first sight! Wonderful!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger January 22, 2010 at 12:35 pm

OH MY GOSH – I’m in LOVE with that kitchen! So cheery and fun, but also magazine worthy!!! Great post!
.-= the BLAH BLAH BLAHger´s last blog ..Dining Room Update: Now All I Need is a Table! =-.

Bailey January 22, 2010 at 12:39 pm

SO cheery! I love it! It doesn’t even look like a remodel (in a good way) it looks like it happened over time…very good.
.-= Bailey´s last blog ..Happy Friday =-.

Heidi January 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Stunning! THAT’s what I want to create in my kitchen when we finally get to remodeling our kitchen!! I want HOMEY not trendy!

Cyndi January 22, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Oh! I LOVE that kitchen. It just looks so fresh and clean, and I really like all the vintage touches. Farmhouse with a bit of cottage thrown in. Thanks so much for sharing that, Julia. Gotta run now so I can check out the rest of her remodel on her blog! Have a great weekend!
.-= Cyndi´s last blog ..Noah on Winter =-.

Why S? January 22, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I’m with Pat. This is a truly inspired makeover. I too laugh at those HGTV programs where the people decide against a home based on an ugly lighting fixture or stained carpeting. Those programs should show a few houses with a mouse graveyard. That’ll teach ‘em.
.-= Why S?´s last blog ..Turns Out, We Live in a Mansion =-.

Polly January 22, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Well that is definitely a 10!!!! Adorable … and there’s that color turquiose again!
.-= Polly´s last blog ..This picture. =-.

Julianne January 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I posted about this remodel on my blog last week! I LOVE IT. LOVE.

I also posted, in the same post, about this blog. Woohoo for cool house blogs!

Deanne January 22, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I love this kitchen redo. How happy she looks! I swore I’d always have a yellow kitchen, but years ago went to white and jadite. After seeing this, think I’ll add some yellow accents with my jadite. Will always have white cabs, I know that.
I’m going back to the 1910 hardwood on my main floor…need to come back to this page for inspiration, knowing that one day I will be able to take pics that look this good! Thanks!
(Julia..if you want, check out my Slow Going Floor photo album on facebook. I can picture it done! lol)

Room without a view January 22, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Wow, what a beautiful job! I am stuck on what to do with my kitchen (1960′s wood paneling style cabinets…lol) so any ideas on how to gussy them up without making them look like painted wood paneling would be great! :)

Chic Coles January 22, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Gorgeous kitchen! I love the color!
.-= Chic Coles´s last blog ..Under the Staircase =-.

low tide high style January 22, 2010 at 4:33 pm

What a beautiful kitchen remodel, I love everything about it! So glad I found your wonderful blog too!

Kat :)
.-= low tide high style´s last blog ..We Done Good =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints January 22, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Oh this kitchen just screams ME!! Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend Julia.

Kim January 22, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Wow, what a difference. That kitchen is gorgeous.

Debbie January 22, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Hi Julia! first of all….I love all your posts…always…but I really love this one! I don’t know what it is in us that loves a good before and after picture but somehow we enjoy the ooooh and aaaaaah moment! I thank God for make-up…and the before and after moment in the morning AFTER I put makeup on! hahahaha
Anyhooo…..great posts.
Blessings,
Debbie
.-= Debbie´s last blog ..Make-Shabby Valentine Pots =-.

Struggler January 22, 2010 at 6:44 pm

What a fun room!
And I’m so pleased everyone else is as nosy as me and voted to see more B&A’s. I don’t feel like such a weirdo now. :)
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..Struggler says Don’t Do It! =-.

Jenny January 22, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I love it! That dining room is gorgeous! The wall treatment is exactly what I wanted in my daughter’s room, but couldn’t afford to do it.
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..stART: Care Bears Special Delivery =-.

DianeM January 22, 2010 at 7:08 pm

OMGosh…I LOVE it! And I WANT it!

Rita January 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm

If I had a little cottage on the beach, this would be the kitchen.
.-= Rita´s last blog ..Take or Leave? =-.

greenie January 22, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Wow, talk about a complete overhaul! Not really my style at all, but it is beautiful. Love looking at before and afters!

Lesley @ TheDesignFile January 23, 2010 at 12:11 am

This kitchen redo is really amazing. I can hardly believe it’s the same space.

Last year I featured a less dramatic but high-end, really amazing kitchen renovation by Indianapolis designer Nikki Sutton. You can see it at:

.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..Last days to vote on bedroom for budget redo =-.

Annie@A View on Design January 23, 2010 at 4:47 am

that is a truly lovely kitchen, I’d love to have that as mine!
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..Potts Point mini palatial palace… =-.

Sandra January 23, 2010 at 7:49 am

I just found your blog and spend a looong time sipping a coffee and brousing through it…and I`m done jet!!
Thank you for sharing all this beautiful, inspiring posts. You will probably make me save a lot of money because instead of buying more and more of those Home deco magazines I will come to your blog and enjoy what I`ll find…WONDERFUL!

Yasmine January 24, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Sigh…so lovely and filled with light…I hate my kitchen…
.-= Yasmine´s last blog ..Invisible Organizing =-.

Beth@The Stories of A2Z January 24, 2010 at 7:53 pm

What a fun and beautiful transformation! It looks fantastic.
.-= Beth@The Stories of A2Z´s last blog ..Mantel Party #3 Review =-.

Sheri January 24, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Wow! This is just so beautiful!!!
.-= Sheri´s last blog ..Room a month: Blue Willow in the houzz! =-.

Susan January 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Julia-This is so bright and cheery! Adding a wall…that is a new twist! I love those green knobs and handles! Thanks for finding this for us!

Merrie January 24, 2010 at 11:46 pm

What a cute kitchen!
.-= Merrie´s last blog ..Tada……….. =-.

Valiegal January 25, 2010 at 12:57 am

I absolutely love this kitchen!! I want it so badly. I would love to paint mine this shade of blue. Actually, I’m picking out a shade and hope to go get it tomorrow at Sherwins for my laundry room. It is a blue and i hope it turns out to be similar in color to this room. Can you tell me the name of the color and what paint company? I fell in love with blues and turquois shades and heard that DIY voted it as the top color of 2010.
.-= Valiegal´s last blog .. =-.

hookedonhouses January 25, 2010 at 8:15 am

Valiegal–

Go to Teresa’s blog to see if she tells the paint color. I’m not sure what it is, but I love it! -Julia

Sherry January 26, 2010 at 8:39 am

That is the cutest retro redo ever! I like that color scheme better than brights. So cute.
.-= Sherry´s last blog ..2nd Time Around Tuesday =-.

Tara January 26, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Her kitchen is fabulous, I am in love with all the color, the fresh feel and yet the retro classic look! so perfect, thank you for sharing…I am just smitten, maybe in my next house I can have a kitchen like this!
.-= Tara´s last blog ..Plantable Valentines~ =-.

Home January 28, 2010 at 2:29 am

This is great! Looks vintage, but with style! That’s how the new thing goes!

Jean at The Delightful Repast April 21, 2010 at 11:03 am

Teresa accomplished an astonishing transformation. It looks so cheery that I think you could move an unhappy, dysfunctional family in and they would straighten right up and be happy!