You Might Have Too Much China If…

by hookedonhouses on July 21, 2009

You might have too much stuff in your dining room when you need three china cabinets and even more shelves to hold all of your things.

There is a reason why real estate agents advise you to pare things down a bit when you put your house on the market.  A room like this might be just a little overwhelming to a potential buyer, don’t you think?

You can see the “animal-inspired” family room from this house in the post I Spy a 60s Ranch Gone Wild. (Thanks to reader Maureen for spotting this house in the Illinois real estate listings and sending me the link.)

If you can’t get enough of Bad MLS photos, check out the others I’ve posted, including:

Matt July 21, 2009 at 9:42 am

I think they should get a pet Bull
.-= Matt ´s last blog ..Portable Solar Powered Fridge =-.

greenie July 21, 2009 at 10:04 am

Oh Boy—Looks like flea market! I hate to admit it, but my mother & father’s dining room is beginning it’s way to this same look. My father collects antique ceramics (much to mother’s chagrin) and has it displayed EVERYWHERE there is a space. I keep telling them they’re going to have to pare it down for the sale of the home, but he insists it has that “lived in look” that buyers like. Clutter is more like it…

rue July 21, 2009 at 10:42 am

Hi Julia :)

Wow….. I’m not quite sure what to say… scary stuff! LOL

Loved the last post! That house was really cool, not my style of decorating, but perfect for the characters :)

Did you get my email?
rue
.-= rue´s last blog ..Back to ‘Purgatory’ =-.

Jamie July 21, 2009 at 10:59 am

Wow! I can’t imagine walking into that house as a potential buyer. I’d be so distracted by all of the stuff.
.-= Jamie´s last blog ..Sea Glass =-.

Emily@remodelingthislife July 21, 2009 at 11:11 am

that’s what i call clutter!

Love the new look of your blog!

Tamara July 21, 2009 at 11:15 am

That is just too funny :) Thanks for the chuckle….
.-= Tamara´s last blog ..What a Difference a Recession Makes =-.

Deidra July 21, 2009 at 11:22 am

Now that’s what I call overwhelming. Is that a mural I see painted on the wall?
.-= Deidra´s last blog ..Thank You! =-.

Florida Sue July 21, 2009 at 11:44 am

I would say that the china collecting is perhaps, an obsession? Most of it probably hasn’t moved in years.
.-= Florida Sue´s last blog ..Diary Says =-.

Heather July 21, 2009 at 11:49 am

I’ve actually been in a house very similar to this…it just made me want to throw things out!
.-= Heather´s last blog ..Artist Series: Eunju Kang =-.

christy July 21, 2009 at 12:09 pm

So that house is for sale?! For shame on the homeowner! But thank you for sharing – what a laugh!
.-= christy´s last blog ..This is a *BIG DEAL* =-.

beth July 21, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Oh my goodness, having that much clutter around would absolutely drive me crazy. Whenever I go into someone’s house, and they have this much stuff, I just want to clean it up.
.-= beth´s last blog ..Biggest Tomato Plants Ever!! =-.

Nouveau Stitch July 21, 2009 at 12:30 pm

{Whoa!} Could you let the folks know I have one of those cabinets I’m about to put on Craig’s List? I’m sure they could fit in one more…

Ellen
.-= Nouveau Stitch´s last blog ..Hello. My name is Ellen and I’m a fabric designer! =-.

kasey at thriftylittleblog July 21, 2009 at 12:51 pm

That’s so funny! I love it.
.-= kasey at thriftylittleblog´s last blog ..Buying the House… Part 4! =-.

Darla July 21, 2009 at 1:08 pm

That made my head hurt. Can you imagine how big that room actually is?? HUGE!

Jackie Whitley July 21, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Somebody call Clean House !

Karen July 21, 2009 at 2:33 pm

I thought I had a china addiction until I saw this–at least mine is neatly stacked away in cabinets.

Astrid July 21, 2009 at 2:38 pm

YIKES!

Now…that’s TOO MUCH STUFF!
.-= Astrid´s last blog .."Big Rock Candy Mountains"…. =-.

Struggler July 21, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Yikes, this is way OTT.
Reminds me of the Estate Sale I visited last Saturday – there was china spilling out of every corner there, too!
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..Pink rooms for grown-ups =-.

CashmereLibrarian July 21, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Oh, dear Lord.

Well, to each his own I suppose. My dear parents’ house looks like this, so I guess I can’t be too judgmental. But STILL…
.-= CashmereLibrarian´s last blog ..Vosges Haut Chocolat: What flavor is your favorite? =-.

Mom in High Heels July 21, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Wow. Wow. Just wow! That is a HUGE dining room though. My mom has enough china to fill at least 5 or 6 cabinets, but doesn’t have it all on display. If she had the space though, she might. Scary.
.-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..RTT! Aerosmith, Chocolate and other things =-.

Mom in High Heels July 21, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I forgot to add though, that the shell hanging “thing” in the first photos cracks me up. I knew so many people who had those when I was younger.

Carmen July 21, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Psssssttt…it’s kind of ugly too.

Yes, I’d say…time to pare down a tad.
.-= Carmen´s last blog ..Blogoversary TODAY!!! (Giveaway time!) =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints July 21, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Wowza…makes me want to move right in;)
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..5 lbs of "beauty fat" =-.

Linda/ Mom in AZ July 21, 2009 at 5:24 pm

* “Oh, dear… oh, my!… oh, NOOOO!” *

suzann July 21, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Holy Clutter Batman. I would lose my mind.
.-= suzann´s last blog ..Pottery Barn Dreaming Part One =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now July 21, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Oh, um….wow. That’s gotta be a Realtor’s nightmare. What a nice, large room…but you can’t tell b/c of all the stuff!!! Not a fan of the crotchet table cloth…
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Tasty Tuesday: Butternut Squash (!) Fries =-.

Amy at The Red Chair Blog July 21, 2009 at 7:14 pm

That’s a crack up! In many houses, even one china cabinet is one too many.
.-= Amy at The Red Chair Blog´s last blog ..The Alternative Home Decor Database =-.

Puna July 21, 2009 at 7:56 pm

ho ho ho! I only wish I had this much storage space for my china.
.-= Puna´s last blog ..Human Pioneering Spirit & Starbucks =-.

Tracy July 21, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Wow. I guess if you live a lifetime in one house, you might add one cabinet or shelf unit at a time and not notice how much it’s gotten out of control. Maybe?
Hey Julia, a reader asked you about HGTV host Kitty Bartholomew’s house in the comments on your post about Suzanne Whang. I’ve got some info in my post today about Kitty’s house…
.-= Tracy´s last blog ..Shopping with Kitty =-.

Michelle July 21, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Wow!!! When it’s time to sell, it’s time to pack before the sign goes up. Talk about scaring off buyers!
~Michelle
.-= Michelle´s last blog ..Outside Stuff =-.

Janet Doherty July 21, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Oh my heart…that is one huge dining room but yikes it is ugly! Yes hard to see past all the clutter and purple window treatments!
People just amaze me….on to view the rest of the house as my curiosity is killing me.
Hope you are doing well…I’ve been away for a while. Time to get back in the swing of things!
Janet
.-= Janet Doherty´s last blog ..In my travels… =-.

Why S? July 22, 2009 at 12:20 am

And just think, none of it is dishwasher safe.

maya | springtree road July 22, 2009 at 8:21 am

oh wow. that’s so wrong. so very wrong.
.-= maya | springtree road´s last blog ..Everybody wants to be a cat =-.

bungalowbliss July 22, 2009 at 11:04 am

Interestingly, it looks like this room has been converted from a living room (not sure, though, but the diamond-windowed door and large picture window remind me of ranch LRs). Perhaps there’s even MORE china in the original DR?
.-= bungalowbliss´s last blog ..Missing the Forest for the Trees =-.

bungalowbliss July 22, 2009 at 11:06 am

Well, after reviewing the listing, I see that they didn’t limit their clutter to the DR. Good grief, those frames–and the kitchen knick-knacks…wowsa!
.-= bungalowbliss´s last blog ..Missing the Forest for the Trees =-.

Pamela Rosenberg July 22, 2009 at 11:09 am

Looking at this makes it hard for me to breathe and I don’t mean that in a good way like it took my breath away :) I need a zen moment. After just posting and exposing my addiction to gift wrap and subsequent purge and organization I am ready to move on to the next project. After seeing this it may be dishes, but at least this makes me feel better about myself. Hehe
.-= Pamela Rosenberg´s last blog ..I Need A Gift Wrap Intervention =-.

The Blushing Hostess July 23, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Hideous.
.-= The Blushing Hostess´s last blog ..Nan Kempner’s TV Dinner =-.

Meg Biram July 24, 2009 at 2:56 pm

That is so funny! I think you can safely say they have too much China…on display!
.-= Meg Biram´s last blog ..Architecture: Searl Lamaster Howe =-.

Lisa in Australia August 1, 2009 at 1:29 am

Way too much clutter…. looks horrid.

karen August 6, 2009 at 8:17 am

I wonder if they own stock in Swiffer Dusters.

columbus cpa September 12, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I don’t suppose I’ve never learned anything like this before. So good to find someone with some unique thoughts on this subject. I really thank you for starting it. This website is one thing that is needed on the net, somebody with a little originality.

{ 1 trackback }