Creative Tile Ideas

by hookedonhouses on March 12, 2009

We don’t have any tile backsplash in our kitchen, and that has always bothered me. One of these days we’ll get around to adding some. In the meantime, I cut out photos of tile I like and continue to amass a stack of “inspiration rooms.” I thought these tiles from Alicia Tapp Designs were interesting. There’s an “art gallery” you can browse through on the site. So you can choose one like this “Red Poppy Road” by Joanne Margosian, and then have it put onto tiles to create an interesting mural on your wall. Here’s a photo a customer sent in after using “Red Poppy Road” in her kitchen (sorry it’s so small!):

One of my favorite mural examples was “Valley View.” She enlarged a fruit crate label for her customer (this mural was featured in Victoria magazine):

The possibilities are endless. You can send in a sample of your wallpaper, fabric, or even just photos of your room and they’ll personalize and customize individual tiles or a mural to coordinate with it.

It’s fun to look through their galleries and see all the creative things they’re doing with tile, and I spent a long time looking through all of the customer photos that people sent in. There are tile murals over fireplaces, along exterior entry ways, and even an amazing tiled bathroom ceiling with a mural of “Waterlilies” that you have to see to believe.

Alicia Tapp Designs is just one of my amazing blog sponsors. See them all in the right-hand sidebar? I love my sponsors! I hope you’ll check out their sites when you have a chance because they all have great things to offer house-lovers like us. Not only that, but they are all really nice people behind the companies who I’ve enjoyed getting to know.

(If you’re interested in advertising on my blog, click here or contact me. I also have special rates for bloggers who just want a little more exposure but aren’t selling anything.)

Just a reminder that tomorrow is Hooked on Fridays. If you’re a blogger and want to participate, simply write a post about something you’re “hooked on” this week. I’ll have Mister Linky up and ready for you to start linking up by 10:00 tonight (ET). See you then!

Susan Smith March 12, 2009 at 8:20 am

What a great idea! I have the same problem – no backsplash. Ended up putting a stainless steel panel behind the stove, but I like this idea a lot for the rest of it. :)

Susan Smith’s last blog post..The Bold Redesigner

Alpaca Farmgirl March 12, 2009 at 8:22 am

Love this! (and I love your blog!) Would love to have a scene from our farm tiled over our stove when we build at the new farm. Great idea. Thanks!

Alpaca Farmgirl’s last blog post..Alpaca Cria – Lewis & Clark

LaurelStreet March 12, 2009 at 8:48 am

These are brilliant – since my kitchen doesn’t have a window (we do have a skylight at least), I’d love have a pretty view installed over the stove!

LaurelStreet’s last blog post..Trouble at the Fabric Store

bungalow_bliss March 12, 2009 at 8:57 am

Cool idea!

bungalow_bliss’s last blog post..Onward and Upward

Kelly in Memphis March 12, 2009 at 9:44 am

Oh, how pretty! What a wonderful business.

Susie Harris March 12, 2009 at 10:19 am

Hi Julia! I would love to have a tile backsplash as well…maybe oneday! Till then I enjoyed your pictures

Susie Harris’s last blog post..Child labor…the kind that doesnt hurt~

Emily@remodelingthislife March 12, 2009 at 11:38 am

Love these! I see them in mags and they look so pretty. I think my house is too casual for one but maybe someday I’ll upgrade :)

Emily@remodelingthislife’s last blog post..Getting Back to Basics

Christy March 12, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Thanks for sharing the tile company. I am collecting ideas for my fireplace and now that I have seen this citrus label…that would look so good in my kitchen! :)

Christy’s last blog post..So Excited for Spring…

christy March 12, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Ooh I love this idea. Of course, the first idea that popped into my head was how funny it would be to get a mosiac tile of my daughter. hehe. So cute.

christy’s last blog post..Ms. Foo and Dublin, again

Pat March 12, 2009 at 1:33 pm

This is wonderful, Julia! Had no idea this could be done.

Pat’s last blog post..~Sunday Dinner~

Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach March 12, 2009 at 2:06 pm

What a nifty idea! Count me as another individual who never realized such things could be done – the results are most impressive indeed.

Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach’s last blog post..Why some online marketers hide the truth from you and what you can do about it

Kathy :) March 12, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Would you ever consider beadboard for your backsplash ??? I had the prettiest tiles and a mural in my old kitchen…but I like to change things up….so when I did my current kitchen I did beadboard and Julia I love it…it makes the granite pop !!!

Just a thought !!
Kathy :)

Aubrey March 12, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I love beadboard too (like Kathy) and still manage to have NONE in my house–which I have yet to understand. These are beautiful–when our neighbors redid their kitchen they bought a tile mural off of eBay for behind their stovetop. It’s a scene from Tuscany or somewhere coastal in Italy (where he’s from) and it looks so awesome. It just seems sacrilege to put something like that over the stove, where grease could splatter on it, but I guess that’s why it’s tile so it can be cleaned.

Aubrey’s last blog post..Bedheaded Randomness

Beth March 12, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I also have a beadboard backsplash above all my counters and I love it! Since we just used the sheet of beadboard paneling from Home Depot, it’s significantly less expensive and easy to install. I love the look of the mural tiles, but frankly I’m just too commitment-phobic to install one. It wouldn’t be super simple to re-paint the beadboard now that it’s installed, but I certainly could if I needed a change. That Valley View one is really cool, though – I’m a sucker for vintage ads and labels!

Elizabeth Barrette March 12, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Wow, those are gorgeous tile projects! I really like the idea of putting a big picture onto a set of tiles like that.

Elizabeth Barrette’s last blog post..What Are Green Buildings?

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home March 12, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Hi Julia, From the functional and practical point of view, which is the position from which I tend to blog and comment, if you have a pot filler faucet or plan to have one, take the location of the faucet into account. Also, if you have a tight timeline, painted tile may have a long lead time so get it ordered ASAP. Additionally, pay attention to lighting as you will want a beautiful design to be appropriately lit.

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home’s last blog post..Storing Glasses in a Drawer

Kathi March 12, 2009 at 6:56 pm

What a nice idea! Putting tile art over the stove! Great idea to personalize your kitchen!

Alicia Tapp March 12, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Wow Julia,
Thank you so much for the wonderful article on my company.. Alicia Tapp Designs

Alicia

Ellycat March 13, 2009 at 3:30 am

Ok so I am the only one who doesn’t like it? Ah well. Maybe in a country kitchen it might work but I have to admit to like kitchens to look futuristic and shiny. Monochrome is my kitchen dream.

Madeleine March 13, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I love these tiles and splashback ideas! Gorgeous.

There is a company in New Zealand that offers something similar and it is marked in our plan book for when we finally sell our house and start our build!

Madeleine’s last blog post..Bill Clinton on "Un-fertilised" Human Embryos

Sue March 16, 2009 at 7:46 pm

These are just so lovely! I have some wonderful tiles that look like small oil paintins…roosters, rabbits…that I want to eventually have set in with plainer tiles. Eventually being the key word here! Oh the ideas I have!!

Love,
Sue

Sue’s last blog post..What Blarney!

Connie March 18, 2009 at 12:57 am

Gorgeous tiles! Something to think about when we get around to tiling our kitchen!

Thanks!
Connie

Connie’s last blog post..GIVEAWAY: Bloggers – Win a $100 Amazon Gift Certificate!