Hooked on Playhouses

by hookedonhouses on March 5, 2009

Playhouses are so much fun. I had one in my backyard when I was growing up–an ugly green aluminum shed that stored the lawnmower and rakes. It was fun to play in anyway, though, and I was always good at “pretend.” Some days it was a Cape Cod. Other days, a castle. If I’d had a yellow cottage like the one above, I never would’ve come out! I would’ve insisted on sleeping there and having all of my meals delivered to the front porch.

This is the playhouse that Linda of Restyled Home built for her daughter Sophie (above). If you haven’t seen it yet, be sure to go to her blog and take the tour. I want to live in it myself!

At the Columbia Tusculum House Tour that I showed you photos of last Fall, one of the homes had this purple playhouse behind it. The homeowners built it for their daughters as a Christmas gift. Lucky girls!

We made ourselves right at home. The owners provided fresh-baked Snickerdoodle cookies, which were perfect for an impromptu tea party inside the little house.

Now it’s your turn to tell us what you’re hooked on today! If you have something to share with us on your blog, then add your link below. Just please be sure to:

1. Add the permalink to the specific blog post, not your general blog address.
  2. Link back to the party from your post so that your readers can come and see what everyone else is talking about today!
  3. Visit as many of the other participants as possible and leave comments! That’s what a blog party is all about!
  4. Double-check to make sure your link works and goes to the right page so it doesn’t get deleted!

(Also check out Finer Things Friday, Melissa’s Beautiful Life, Ann’s Food on Fridays, and Fifi’s Fashionable Friday happening today!)

~

Hooked on Fridays Participants

1. maya (hooked on learning photography)
2. Living With Lindsay (Five Dollar Challenge)
3. Things That Inspire
4. Mary Beth {Dining Room Updates}
5. TK – Why waste a garage on a stupid car?
6. amylouwhoo @ mommyandbeyond
7. Troischats (stripes and symmetry)
8. Gennaro
9. Jill (polaroid pictures!)
10. Holly@Homebody(Thrift Store Goodies)
11. Christy (Vegetarians Driving Hummers?)
12. songbirdtiff-displaying photos
13. Katie – cookbook author\’s kitchen
14. Creations From My Heart makeover
15. Arleen (decorating with pink and green)
16. Jennifer @ The Apple Grove
17. Arleen (Tea at The Palace Hotel)
18. Suzy Homemaker- Cake Pops
19. Kim @ Forever Wherever (Rays)
20. House Favorites (Grohe Greatness)
21. Linda@Lime in the Coconut (Brownies anyone?)
22. Taya @ Delightful (outdoor living!)
23. Kate @ A Simple Walk (mom-to-be gift)
24. the BLAH BLAH BLAHger (Photoshop Actions)
25. Cooking During Stolen Moments (cheddar pan rolls)
26. Christy
27. Amber.Filkins–Hooked on Spring
28. ImagineCozy (Living Room Redesign)
29. The Summer Kitchen Girls
30. Monkey\’s Momma
31. Andi – udandi (handwritten letters)
32. TidyMom
33. DesignTies (Hooked on circles)
34. Fifi Flowers on Fashion
35. Katie @ Clean & Classic Interiors (FREE stuff!)
36. PamperingBeki (Spring!)
37. Wayfaring Wanderer ( Hooked on Happenings)
38. Karla @ It\’s The Little Things…(Hooked On Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams)
39. Our Nifty Notebook, Scholastic Book Fairs
40. Brenda
41. Lisa @ Coastal Nest!!!!!!!!!
42. Dagny @ Beautiful Living (hooked on DIY rastafari chandeliers for your nursery!)
43. Maya (Puttin\’ on the Ritz
44. Puna
45. Angela @ Peonypatch – Chihuly
46. Christine (Cooking on a Budget)
47. Kimba @ A Soft Place to Land (spray paint)
48. coco@ordinary miracles
49. Suzanne
50. Cary@anewpath(Hooked on Dreaming)
51. Jane @Beach House
52. Alpaca Farmgirl
53. Jill @ Forever Cottage
54. Julie @ Organizement (silver accessories)
55. Gayle (Monday Memories)
56. Kristen @ From My Tiny Kitchen
57. Kimm at Reinvented (Free Spring Decor)
58. LaurelStreet – Ready-Made Frames For Custom-Tailored Art
59. Amy @ Finer Things (bakeware for $1)
60. Pretty Organizer
61. Amy @ Living Locurto (Photo Editing)
62. Tamara
63. velvet and linen
64. Robin@My Blessed Nest
65. Laura @ Decor to Adore
66. Frippery
67. Cass at That Old House; Hooked on House Blessing!
68. Visual Vamp
69. Liz@Violet Posy
70. Carolina Mama (Theatre and Writing)
71. EricDaPlumber (Kohler Karbon)
72. Ramona Owen
73. Supernatural Botanicals, Discussions On All Things Girly
74. Styling by Coty Farquhar, Australia – Coloured Glassware
75. Leila –Make something beautiful for your home!
76. Vintagesquirrel (thrift stores)
77. Eileen @ Star\’s Fault

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

Lindsay March 5, 2009 at 9:53 pm

I always wanted a playhouse growing up, but no such luck. :( Those are so adorable!

Lindsay’s last blog post..Are You Ready for a Challenge?

maya | springtree road March 5, 2009 at 9:55 pm

my granddaddy built me a playhouse when i was a kid (http://www.springtreeroad.com/springtreeroad/2008/04/sand-dragons-an.html) looked very little like these, though!

i would love for my daughter to have a playhouse like one of these – they’re absolutely beautiful. won’t be happening, but i still like to think about it. :)

maya | springtree road’s last blog post..Crunchy snow day

Things That Inspire March 5, 2009 at 9:55 pm

We are visiting our family beach house next week, and one of the neighbors has the most adorable playhouse for her grandchildren. It even has electricity! My kids love visiting and playing in it, so this post made me even more excited about our trip.

I am excited to be participating in my first ever ‘hooked on Fridays’! Have a great weekend.

Things That Inspire’s last blog post..New on the Market in Atlanta: Southern Accents Top 10 Kitchen

Terry Kearns March 5, 2009 at 9:59 pm

These are so better than the Toys ‘r’ Us plastic job I put together for my kids. Maybe it’s still back there mildew’ed over.

Terry Kearns’s last blog post..Why waste a great garage on a stupid car?

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage March 5, 2009 at 10:02 pm

So much fun! I had a friend with a playhouse when I was little. We used to mix spices in the “kitchen”. While it kind of smelled wierd after a while (from all the odd spice combinations), we had some great memories in that little house.

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage’s last blog post..THE LOOK FOR LESS

Gennaro March 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Love it. Some of those playhouses are nicer than regular homes :)

Gennaro’s last blog post..8 Best Chocolate Shops In NYC

jill March 5, 2009 at 10:04 pm

wow! those play houses are amazing… can I have one just for myself? ;)

jill’s last blog post..Hooked On: Polaroid Photos!

Holly March 5, 2009 at 10:09 pm

I love Linda’s playhouse! What a dream!
I myself made due with a shed, similar to you.

Holly’s last blog post..Thrift Store Roundup

christy March 5, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Oh I LOVE playhouses. I love all the pictures you’ve included. We had a tree house/tree fort when I was growing up…not quite the same. Your post has me now planning a future playhouse for our daughter, except I think I might want to keep it for myself! haha! Hope you have a great weekend Julia!

christy’s last blog post..Unfortunately, Christy…

Katie @ makingthishome.com March 5, 2009 at 10:21 pm

What bright and bold little houses. I love the laundry hanging to dry. Your playhouse with rakes and everything – love that image!
Katie

Katie @ makingthishome.com’s last blog post..The Green Birthday Party Project Launches

melissa March 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm

I love Sophie’s little house. All of the details down to the buggy planter out front are perfect. I have a 3 & a 4 year old who would love it. Being an unsupervised play space, she was very brave to do it all so white. I would love a little house like this for ME!!
Have a great night all!!

melissa’s last blog post..Worlds Best Dressed Man

Arleen March 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm

I love playhouses, too, and remember one my sisters and I had when we were small. So fun! ~Arleen

Arleen’s last blog post..Inspiration ~ Decorating with Pink and Green

Suzy March 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm

I love playhouses too! Our daughters had a wonderful bright colored one at our old house that my husband built. Now here my boys have a raised fort instead. The best playhouse I was ever in was the House at the Vanderbilt Mansion in Newport, RI…a working stove, sink and fireplace with a upstairs..incredible!

Suzy’s last blog post..They Have Me Hooked…….

Kim @ Forever Wherever March 5, 2009 at 10:58 pm

These are so pretty! Grown-ups should have playhouses to go sit in and enjoy tea! :-)
~Kim

Angela @ Imaginecozy March 5, 2009 at 11:48 pm

I love playhouses! There is something magical for a child to be able to fix up thier own place. My husband built our children a playhouse that looks so much like the first one you have posted, cute and yellow with a little front porch and a loft.

The Summer Kitchen Girls March 5, 2009 at 11:52 pm

These are just darling! We SO want a little house – just to decorate!
Have a great weekend Julia!

The Summer Kitchen Girls’s last blog post..Topiary Time

Amber Filkins @ {ae filkins} March 5, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Those are so pretty, you have me hooked on playhouses too! Love em. My girls would flip over a playhouse like that.

Amber Filkins @ {ae filkins}’s last blog post..Spring has sprung

Fifi Flowers March 6, 2009 at 12:12 am

Your playhouses are ADORABLE and VERY fashionable! Come over and link with me!

Fifi Flowers’s last blog post..Spend a Fashionable Friday with Fifi…

Wayfaring Wand derer March 6, 2009 at 12:33 am

I was lucky to have a little playhouse when I was a wee one. It definitely wasn’t decorated like that though!!!

Wayfaring Wand derer’s last blog post..Animating Inspiration

DesignTies March 6, 2009 at 12:35 am

Those playhouses are so sweet :-) Everyone needs another room or two to decorate!! ;-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

Karla March 6, 2009 at 1:02 am

Adorable playhouses! :) What lucky little girls!!

~Karla

Karla’s last blog post..Hooked On a Book…

Brenda March 6, 2009 at 1:14 am

I love those playhouses! What a dream! I always wanted one as a kid!

Tam March 6, 2009 at 1:57 am

Oh Julia I am still a little girl at heart-I adored those playhouses! I hope to be able to have one for my granddaughter someday! Really it would be for her, I mean I would share! LoL! Have a nice day~Tam!:D

Tam’s last blog post..Thank You Friends!

Dagny @ Beautiful Living March 6, 2009 at 2:24 am

Wow, playhouses sure has changed a lot since I was a little girl! What a fabulous selection! :)

Dagny @ Beautiful Living’s last blog post..Sommernyheter fra IKEA! / Summer News from IKEA!

Mom in High Heels March 6, 2009 at 3:08 am

Those playhouses are adorable. If I had one, I’d never leave. As a military brat, we moved too often for me to have a playhouse, but there was an old shed at my grandparents house that my cousins and I used for a playhouse when I visited. It was just and old white washed shed that wasn’t used for anything, but we had so much fun in it.

Mom in High Heels’s last blog post..The Secret is in the Sauce

Puna March 6, 2009 at 6:50 am

I’m starting to get hooked on all my friends’ bedrooms. It’s a little weird I know.

coco March 6, 2009 at 7:06 am

Love all these play houses…I think every little girl dreams of one! Perfect for spring which will hopefully arrive on my doorstep today!

coco’s last blog post..hooked on built-ins…

Christine March 6, 2009 at 7:31 am

Oh my goodness…is that really a “playhouse”? I’m ready to move right in!

Christine’s last blog post..Hooked On…

Kathryn Wells March 6, 2009 at 7:41 am

Precious! I always wanted a beautiful playhouse when I was a little girl. Now that I’m a big girl, I still want a beautiful house, but not a play one. :-)

Kathryn Wells’s last blog post..Good Mourning

Angela March 6, 2009 at 7:59 am

I ALWAYS wanted a playhouse when I was little! I would make a “house” from two card tables and some big pink blankets! I have such great memories of playing in my pink house!! Thanks for sharing!

Angela’s last blog post..Hooked on: Chihuly

coco March 6, 2009 at 8:05 am

my link at #45 didn’t work so you can delete that one.

coco’s last blog post..hooked on built-ins…

MaryBeth March 6, 2009 at 8:26 am

I am begging for a playhouse in my yard. We don’t have any kids but I still want one. The one you are showing looks so adorable with all the flowers planted in front. Just perfect.

suzanne March 6, 2009 at 8:28 am

Oh I want a playhouse!!!!! Those are adorable!

Suzanne

suzanne’s last blog post..Hooked on a good read!!!!

Jane @ Beach House March 6, 2009 at 8:54 am

I love the yellow playhouse, it looks just like home

Jane @ Beach House’s last blog post..Wood Obsessed

Linda@ Restyled Home March 6, 2009 at 9:07 am

Thank you for featuring my/Sophie’s playhouse! I can’t wait to get back out there and enjoy it with her and complete the landscaping around it. After thirty-eight years, I finally have a playhouse – even though I do have to share it with my daughter!!!

Great post, Julia!

Linda@ Restyled Home’s last blog post..Katrin Cargill and more…

Julie @ Organizement March 6, 2009 at 9:30 am

We have a playhouse like these! It is so charming, and it makes everyone ooooh and awwww over our quaint backyard. The playhouse was included in the purchase of the house, so we lucked out for our two little girls!

Julie @ Organizement’s last blog post..Hooked On…Silver Accessories!

Robyn March 6, 2009 at 9:45 am

I’ve always wanted a playhouse, so when I was blessed with my boy, I wanted him to have one – he has the coolest log cabin in the back yard. I posted it on RMS – imjacobsmom – or on my blog. With surround sound, PS3 and wii he’s had movie marathons, video game all-nighters, Monopoly games, etc. etc. plus just a great place to chill out. Honestly, I can’t wait ’til he outgrows it so I can turn it into my potting shed. ~ Robyn

Robyn’s last blog post..Outdoor Wednesday!

Gayle March 6, 2009 at 9:47 am

I always wanted a playhouse when I was little! Wow, these are incredible! Those are some very lucky children!

Gayle’s last blog post..Upside Down and Sideways

Kelly in Memphis March 6, 2009 at 9:57 am
Jenny March 6, 2009 at 11:15 am

Those are cute playhouses!

Jenny’s last blog post..Hooked On Fridays: Scholastic Warehouse Book Fairs

Shannon March 6, 2009 at 11:26 am

I love playhouses, anything goes. You can be as crazy and whimsical as you want. I think every father should learn how to build one. It should be a requirement! :) Wouldn’t that be crazy?!

Shannon’s last blog post..Master Bath

Amy @ Living Locurto March 6, 2009 at 11:46 am

Project Playhouse raffles off a chance to win a dream playhouse each year here in Dallas. Designers and builders work together to create the ultimate play houses! It’s one of my favorite tours to visit each year. We have a playhouse outside, but it gets so dirty. I’d like to build one inside my daughter’s room or turn her closet into one. Wouldn’t that be fun?

Here is the gallery with a few of the dream playhouses:

Amy @ Living Locurto’s last blog post..Fix-It Friday – Photo Editing

Tamara March 6, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Oh, you’re not gonna believe what I’m hooked on this week :) See ya soon!

Tamara’s last blog post..I’m HOOKED on India!

velvet and linen March 6, 2009 at 12:24 pm

It is always wonderful to celebrate the start of the weekend with you, Julia!
Love these little houses. The first one has to be my favorite.
Poor Leila is so deprived. I think I need to get Steve to design her a little place of her
own. Thank you for the inspiration!

xo
Brooke

velvet and linen’s last blog post..garden 101

Robin March 6, 2009 at 12:39 pm

In January, I posted about our own playhouse…this is the post I have included in the link. We no longer have the playhouse, and we still miss it sometimes! Playhouses are such magical places! I hope you enjoy seeing it!

Robin’s last blog post..Getting to Know Some New Blogging Friends

Amy March 6, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Oh my goodness- how wonderful! I really like that idea because after my girls outgrow it, I could turn it into a potting shed. It would have to be bigger, of course, but I’m sure they wouldn’t mind :)

Amy’s last blog post..Apparently

Maya@Completely Coastal March 6, 2009 at 1:12 pm

#2 is so adorable…, the house I played with was a doll house, handmade by my parents and it was fun. To play “real” house…, lucky kids!

Maya@Completely Coastal’s last blog post..Puttin’ on the Ritz

Laura Ingalls Gunn March 6, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Right now I am doing a series of entitled All Things Irish and am so inspired by the Irish countryside and other lovely things.

Laura Ingalls Gunn’s last blog post..All Things Irish~ Crystal

Pam March 6, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Hi Julia. I linked my waterfeatures post today, Hope you enjoy it. Somehow Mr. Linky also listed my outdoor Wednesday post too. I guess because that was my last Mr. Linky post. I don’t know how to delete that one. Thanks, Pam

Pam’s last blog post..I Am Hooked on Waterfeatures

Debbie March 6, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Those little gems are totally over the top! Loved this Hooked On Friday post Julia!

Wishing you and your family a wonderful weekend!

Blessings – Debbie

Debbie’s last blog post..An Evening With Friends

Ms.Tee March 6, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Those playhouses are wonderful, especially the first one. I agree, I’d live in it, too. :0) Have a great weekend!

Ms.Tee’s last blog post..Spring Green Inspiration & Thank Yous

Visual Vamp March 6, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I could move right in!
These are adorable.
Happy Friday, and as ever thanks for Mr. Linky.
xo xo

Visual Vamp’s last blog post..More

Liz@VioletPosy March 6, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I had the shock of my life yesterday, Lily and I were in the garden and she went to go into her playhouse which she was last in last summer….umm her head is above the door! I have a horrible feeling by this summer she’ll be out of it.

Liz@VioletPosy’s last blog post..Homesense

Cass March 6, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Oh I love playhouses, always wanted one but had to content myself with visiting my friend’s. But I remember thinking, “she just doesn’t know what to DO with this house!” Even then, lo those many years ago, I was a House Junkie!

I wish I had one NOW!

Thanks for your kind comments on my post today. And I don’t know how you manage to keep up with all you do! Amazing.

Cass

Cass’s last blog post..Hooked On … House Blessing, Open House, Crunch Time!

Denise March 6, 2009 at 5:20 pm

I just mailed a birthday card to a lady who is celebrating her 95th birthday in March. Her goal is to have her new playhouse finished in time for her birthday celebration. She is filling it up with her favorite collectibles and it will be a special place to enjoy her favorite hobby – “quilting”. She is living proof that one is never to old to have a playhouse!! By the way, her playhouse even has a set of stairs that she walks up with complete ease.

Denise’s last blog post..The Geek Squad hits Seattle

suzanne March 6, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Julia, (re:Southern Lady mag) why not try going to the website http://www.southernladymagazine.com to see if they have that issue available. They usually do have back issues. I tried to find mine, and it seems to have disappeared. If I found it, I was going to offer to scan the article for you and email it to you. I’ll keep looking.

Suzanne

suzanne’s last blog post..Hooked on a good read!!!!

Kathy :) March 6, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Oh Julia I LOVE them…..I had one as a child “The Dollhouse” oh how I loved it, I had a pink stove, sink and cabinet along with my pink round table…when we were sick of house we’d play school. Once or twice a year we would get out the record player (remember those) and put on a show, we’d dress up in our costumes from dance/recitals, we charged 5 cents….lol we had a ball. Thanks for this post and taking me down memory lane :)

Have a great week-end,
Kathy :)

SoBella Creations March 6, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I’m hoping Costco will come out with a cute affordable play house this year. I think my girls would love it.

Although my oldest daughter insist I build them a tree house.

Styling by Coty Farquhar March 6, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Hi Julia,
Looks like I just made it to your party, sorry I’m a bit late. Your little cubby houses are just so adorable. I always wished for one when I was little, we only had a fabric and metal frame tent. I did spend hours in it playing. But nothing like your beauties.

I have a wonderful glass collection on my site today, I photographed my girlfriends collection which is just fabulous. I hope you get a chance to pop by and have a look. By the look of your list you must be exhausted visiting everyone. How do you find the time?

Have a wonderful weekend. xx Coty

Amy @ Finer Things March 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Those houses are so stinkin’ cute! My kids would love that.

Amy @ Finer Things’s last blog post..Finer Things Friday: Just Doing Our Best

Leila March 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm

I wish I had been able to make a playhouse for my daughters! Maybe for my granddaughters :)

These are beautiful!

Leila’s last blog post..Go ahead and make something beautiful.

Sarah March 7, 2009 at 12:38 am

I used to play in my grandma’s old rabbit hutch. Ah memories. Those little houses are gorgeous!

Sarah’s last blog post..Finer Things Friday- Tents

Michelle March 7, 2009 at 1:49 am

Hi Julia,
I hope I’m not too late to join. I accidentally put a link to my blog address the first time (#76) If you wouldn’t mind deleting that one, I fixed it and linked to the specific post in #77.
Thanks, Michelle

Michelle’s last blog post..What Can You Buy With A Dime?

Monkey's Momma March 7, 2009 at 11:15 am

I love playhouses! I have a boy, though. Can boys have playhouses?

Andi - udandi March 7, 2009 at 2:50 pm

heh, your playhouse was a shed, too?! I always thought because my dad was a handy craftsman he would build us playhouse, when he didn’t, we built our own unstable treehouse!

Andi – udandi’s last blog post..Handwritten Letters & Notes

Paul U March 8, 2009 at 12:37 am

It looks real enough that you can live in it.

Paul U’s last blog post..Announcing my contest

Janet Doherty March 9, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Please forgive me but I didn’t know how to submit my post regarding Hooked on Playhouses??/ Sorry for the lack of knowlege but wondered if you could help me out.
Love your blog

Janet Doherty’s last blog post..HOOKED ON GREEN HOUSES

hookedonhouses March 9, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Sorry, Janet. I close the blog party each Sunday morning. That’s why you couldn’t figure it out! I’ll have Mr Linky up by 10:00 p.m. Thursday night (ET) if you want to join us this week! I apologize for the confusion. I’m glad you want to join our party, though! -Julia :-)

Sonya March 9, 2009 at 7:39 pm

I have always wanted a playhouse…I STILL want a playhouse!
Sonya

Robyn- Dollhouse Designer April 22, 2009 at 9:30 am

First I wish I had one when I was a little girl, to those girls who had a playhouse made by there parents lucky for you and be thankful, treasure the moments you’ll spend there. And let me share this, my parents gave me a Victorian Cottage which I happen to see at http://www.classicdollhouses.com/dollhouse-kits-easy-build.html for I did a research for a dollhouse to give my daughter for her birthday and maybe with the help of your blog I can convince my husband to build a playhouse as a present for our daughter on December provided she will do good in school and in doing here chores at home.

MELISSA April 26, 2009 at 4:27 pm

I ALWAYS WANTED A PLAYHOUSE I HAVE TOLD MY DAD TO BUILT ONE FOR ME AND MY SISTER WHICH HE NEVER DID BUT HE HAD A SHED THAT WE COULD PLAY IN AS A PLAYHOUSE BUT WE ALWAYS WANTED A REAL PLAYHOUSE RATHER THAN SHED .. OH WELL.. IF MY DAD EVER BOUGHT OR BUILT ONE FOR THEIR GRANDCHILDREN THEN I PROBABLY PLAY IN IT WITH MY KIDS OR MY SISTER’S KIDS HA HA EVEN THOUGH IM TO OLD FOR THAT BUT I STILL ALWAYS WANTED A PLAYHOUSE … ITS MY FAVORTIVE …

Judy from cutest-little-things October 9, 2009 at 9:45 am

I’d be honored if you would stop by my blog and see the playhouse my husband built for our son:

.-= Judy from cutest-little-things´s last blog ..A Thanksgiving Surprise (and a plea for recipes!) =-.

enclosed cargo trailers September 12, 2011 at 10:55 pm

This really answered my problem, thank you!

{ 5 trackbacks }