Concrete Contemporary in Australia

by hookedonhouses on September 30, 2008

By JULIA @ HOOKEDONHOUSES.NET

Okay, so is everybody here at my new blog address now? Should I do a head count? I hate to leave anyone behind, but I guess the stragglers will catch up with us eventually.

Thanks to all of you who updated the links on your blogrolls already! I’ll be giving away an Amazon gift card on Friday, so be sure to leave a comment on yesterday’s post if you haven’t already.

As I’m sure you’ve noticed, I’ve still got some kinks to work out here. Some posts are missing their photos, and lots of links are still pointing back toward the old site. But if you’re patient with me, I’ll work my way through all of them eventually, I promise.

Now. Take a look at this house. I found it when I was searching the MLS listings in Brisbane, Australia. The price is listed as “available on application,” which translates as “If you have to ask, you can’t afford it.”

According to the MLS description:

A stunning “Donovan Hill” contemporary masterpiece built on a picturesque allotment featuring: a seamless flow of 5 bedrooms; parent’s wing with privacy; atrium styled outdoor room; 4 bathrooms; gourmet kitchen; 11 metre lap pool; massive backyard for family picnics, to entertain 100 friends or simply play some cricket; unique treehouse where children will play all day and allow some rest and relaxation time for parents; unique boxed concrete construction.

My favorite part is how the backyard is big enough to entertain 100 of your friends or play some cricket. (I may need to make a few new friends if I lived here. And learn cricket.)

Also, love that the treehouse will keep the children busy all day so the parents can get some rest and relaxation.

Check this place out:

Do you like it? My jaw dropped when I saw the soaring atrium.

It’s too modern and “industrial” for me with all that concrete, though. I wouldn’t want to actually live here. But I wouldn’t mind spending a few days here on vacation, playing cricket on the lawn with 100 of my closest friends. How about you?

BLOG NOTES:

Just a reminder to send me your best (worst) picture for our Fake Fotos Contest as soon as possible. I need a couple more if I’m going to show you mine. I’m not humiliating myself unless at least 10 of you do likewise! I mean it!

Tune in to “Top Design” on Bravo tonight. I’ll be posting my recap of it tomorrow (Thursday)!

angela | the painted house September 30, 2008 at 10:58 pm

Do I even have to say it? LOVE IT! I’d invite you to my party-o-100. :)

Brandee September 30, 2008 at 11:08 pm

Stunning! Love the view from the balcony. I’m sure you could fine 100 blog friends to entertain. ;-)

sandra/tx September 30, 2008 at 11:24 pm

I love it in the sense that it’s different and quite well done for a contemporary abode. I was liking it till I got to the dining area/atrium, and then it just reminded me of a contemporary office building. That’s not a bad thing unless you’d want to actually live there. I’ll admit there are some really cool touches, like those chandeliers and the floor in the bedroom.

laura @ the shorehouse September 30, 2008 at 11:49 pm

I was *totally* thinking the same thing as Sandra…that “atrium” makes me feel like the dining table should be set for a Board meeting and not for dinner. :-) But look at the stunning hard wood floors in the bedrooms!

Katie October 1, 2008 at 6:42 am

Can’t. Get. Jaw. Off. Floor.

I could live in that atrium, alone. gah!

Sher October 1, 2008 at 6:48 am

I love the views from the inside but the house itself is too clinical looking for me. Can you imagine those hardwoods with prints of bare feet throughout? ;) And – all that room and no sewing studio? No scrapbooking area? I’m talking essentials here. Give me an overstuffed couch, a throw and a good book or bundle of magazines!
Hugs,
Sher

Heather October 1, 2008 at 7:17 am

It is not something I would want to live in on a daily basis but it is breathtaking. I love the bedside lamps in the first picture!

Melanie October 1, 2008 at 7:58 am

I love to look of modern, but I don’t ever think I could live like that! Where are the overflowing bookshelves and comfy throws and pillows? If you invite me, my husband can teach everyone how to play cricket! :)

Amy from Texas October 1, 2008 at 8:23 am

All l can say is WOW!!!

Linda @ Lime in the Coconut October 1, 2008 at 8:31 am

Oooooh…I like the individualized colorful little graphics next to our post! Ok…The house. HOLY MOLY! Look at all that light! Can you imagine it on a snowy day…wait, does it snow there?
Very cool and VERY concet-ey!!

Linda @ Lime in the Coconut October 1, 2008 at 8:32 am

…just a test to see if the little graphicy things change every post or change with every postee. hee

hookedonhouses October 1, 2008 at 8:36 am

Linda, I think it assigns one to each commenter and you’ll always get the same one when you return. I got stuck with this brown one, for instance, and it never changes. -Julia

duchess October 1, 2008 at 8:52 am

It’s a great house – just not my style.
It feels a little cold & sterile to me but oh, what lights.:)

Julie October 1, 2008 at 9:07 am

Okay, so not my style (looks like a bus terminal to me) but I LOVE the windows. And can’t wait to see what little quilt graphic thingy I get assigned. :)

Julie October 1, 2008 at 9:08 am

Eeeew, lime green. Ick.

Jessica October 1, 2008 at 10:41 am

This house is so cool! I love the master bedroom and the tv room with the pink floor. I don’t care if does look clinical/unhousey… I would move there in a second! I would walk around and look amazing in my amazing house all day. Reality, I would look like the housekeeper.

Jessica October 1, 2008 at 10:43 am

PS I love my purpley color :) Mines the best!

Amy October 1, 2008 at 10:56 am

I don’t consider myself a modernist but I love this house. I could totally live here.

Liz October 1, 2008 at 11:21 am

Beautiful, but not my thing. And I’m perfectly fine not knowing how to play cricket. :)

Angela October 1, 2008 at 12:07 pm

I generally don’t like modern/contemporary, but this is gorgeous! I would have to bring in some of my trinkets though to make it more homey.

norma October 1, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Wow what a beautiful place it’s soo spacious looking, I love it.

Holly October 1, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Wow! This is really not my style, but it’s still gorgeous.
Thanks for visiting my fledgling blog today, Julia!

Courtney @ Nesting Instincts October 1, 2008 at 4:42 pm

it’s really beautiful! not my typical style, but how can I not love something with that many windows? all in all, it’s a little too big for me…I wouldn’t feel extremely cozy…so if they could keep it the same but shrunk down just a little I would totally live there.

TraceyB October 1, 2008 at 5:35 pm

YES!! Contemporary Office building is exactly what I was thinking. It sort of reminds me of the inside of Cintas in Ohio. Anyway, wouldn’t want to live there, but would love to visit.

Ms.Tee October 1, 2008 at 5:50 pm

Wow…I agree with the others – very concrete-y and humongous – but you wouldn’t have to pull my arm to vacation there. :) I am waiting to see what color my little icon thingy will be…

The Summer Kitchen Girls October 1, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Hey! We made it!! Love it – your blog is “growing up”!! How fun – the house is window heaven!
Thanks for getting us over here!
Karla & Karrie

Starr October 1, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Very spacious and sleek, but it is too modern for me. And I am wondering what those fringy-like things are in front of the windows in the 8th photo down. . .

Can’t wait to see my icon!

Debbie October 1, 2008 at 10:35 pm

It’s not my thing but I LOVE the open feel and all the windows. It feels too cold and crisp but I could definitely enjoy a nice visit there.

Le October 2, 2008 at 5:00 am

Hello there .. I am a Brisbane girl and while the house is amazing the suburb is not so ‘top drawer’ … I mean wrong side of the river to begin with :) here you are either a northside girl (me) or a south sider … and never the two shall meet nor one become the other …

Bet they get the odd snake out of the creek at the rear of the property too … give me a real Queenslander any day – bye for now – off to play cricket – NOT – le

Mark October 2, 2008 at 6:53 am

Love the angles, love the sleeknees and the light and air. I grew up in a contemporary (Hans Kneutzel Mid CenMod). I have always loved them.

This one seems a bit too sterile and cold for my taste. Maybe too much concrete? Also it could be too much wide angle lens in such a big place. It tends to exaggerate the space. I kind of saw that in the different angles on the dining room.

Ali October 2, 2008 at 8:42 am

Love some of it – the bedroom with the windows and hardwoods. Hate some of it – the huge, concrete dining room/patio thing. Always been a fan of the indoor/outdoor houses, but this one isn’t way up on my list.

Can’t wait to see what quilted avatar I have been assigned…

Ali October 2, 2008 at 8:43 am

Okay… lilac is good…

Kathy :) October 2, 2008 at 8:47 am

I could, like you spend some vacation time there, but it’s not my style. Lovely though and WHO doesn’t like cricket ??

Have a great day,
Kathy :)

Kathy :) October 2, 2008 at 8:48 am

ps I like my zippy emblem thingie…lol

rue October 2, 2008 at 6:27 pm

Nope I couldn’t do it, but I’d love to be invited for a party ;)

rue

Ellycat January 30, 2009 at 8:03 pm

STill catching up. I live here in Australia – not in a house like that sadly. It doesn’t snow where that house is built. Not ever. I love love the house. I think the chandeliers are a bit fussy and the home theatre room a bit distracting from the purpose (home theatre is for well home theatre surely).

Edwina May 20, 2009 at 3:58 am

Hi Julia I realise I’m WAY too late for anyone to actually read my comment, but for all what it’s worth- I live in this city, and I gotta say, this is exactly the kind of house you would want if you did too. I come from a cold climate town down south and used to love my cosy cottages, but, I moved to Brisbane where it is INSANELY hot and sticky a lot of the year and this is exactly the kind of open space you crave to live in.

Edwina’s last blog post..The Darling Floods of May