Where Should We Go Next?

by hookedonhouses on August 26, 2008

I think it’s about time we had another Fantasy Open House Week, don’t you? Those are always a lot of fun, and it’s been a couple of months since our last one.

For those who don’t know, I pick a city and then scour the MLS listings to come up with five houses to show you, one each day for a week. At the end of the week, we take a poll to choose which one you’d buy with the unlimited funds in your imaginary bank account.

We already spent a week looking at older homes in Hyde Park, Ohio. We gawked at multimillion-dollar mansions in Birmingham, Alabama. And then I took you on a tour of the houses from the Cincinnati Homearama show in June.

So here’s my question: Where should we go house-hunting together next?

I’ve been thinking about either New York City or St. Louis, Missouri. But I want to hear your ideas. Nominate a city that you’d like to look at houses in and I’ll take them all under consideration. If you have a link to a good real estate site in that city, send it along, too, so I can start my search.

Can’t wait to hear what you all think!

Amy August 26, 2008 at 9:05 am

Well you know I’m going to say Franklin, TN, right? http://www.realtracs.com

Kim's Cottage August 26, 2008 at 9:20 am

Atlanta! They have some beee-auties there, chuck-full of charm and character.

bermudaonion August 26, 2008 at 9:31 am

I vote for Atlanta, too!

Roxy August 26, 2008 at 9:32 am

For some insane gawk worthy homes, check out Greenwich, CT!!! Definitely lots to drool over!!

Amy August 26, 2008 at 9:39 am

I’m new to the blog, and I love it! I’d like to see houses in Minneapolis!

Liz August 26, 2008 at 9:40 am

Seattle, Baby. Seattle. Bungalows out the wazoooooo.

be the change August 26, 2008 at 9:45 am

Either of those choices sounds great -but what about Pittsburgh, PA?

Jill Garcia August 26, 2008 at 9:51 am

I’m going to say my hometown of St. Louis, MO!! In fact, I think to highlight University City, Webster Groves, Kirkwood and Wildwood, MO would have the most beautiful classic homes!!

Can you tell I’m a little partial? Even though I don’t live there now (I’m in Dallas, ugh!), I love going home to visit and just driving down the old streets I grew up on and looking at all of the amazing homes. So unique, nothing cookie cutter about them!!

Thanks for your website! I am obsessed with homes (began studying residentail architecture in college) and have LOVED every post you have put up since I’ve been blogstalking you for a few months!!

God Bless!

Jill Garcia

Shelley August 26, 2008 at 9:51 am

Hello favorite sister-in-law! Perhaps Cary, NC or Charleston, SC?

JLB August 26, 2008 at 9:52 am

I vote for New York. There are some huge houses in the suburbs there.

maya August 26, 2008 at 9:59 am

I also vote for Atlanta. Hot-lanta! The ATL, baby!

abbreviated August 26, 2008 at 10:11 am

Dallas…big hair & big houses !

Laura August 26, 2008 at 10:15 am

I’ve been lurking around your site for a couple of months, checkin in every once and while. I’ll have to throw my vote in for Atlanta too because I went to Georgia Tech and I still have a bunch of family living there. Would love to see some homes from the Buckhead area – gorgeous!

sandra/tx August 26, 2008 at 10:25 am

I’m not familiar with a lot of cities’ neighborhoods, so whatever you come up with will be great. I do know Dallas has some great old neighborhoods that might be fun to see sometime.

Brandee August 26, 2008 at 10:34 am

I would love to look at houses in Texas. I hear everything is BIG there. :-)

Bella August 26, 2008 at 10:40 am

I love Grosse Pointe, MI:

But you know what would also be cool? If you did NYC…to include a row house from one of the burroughs. Or even, how about a ‘working class fantasy tour’ …so instead of mansions that no one can afford, how about just your run of the mill working class neighborhood…but with homes that have been restored/remodeled, so that there is some ‘oooh and ahhh’ factor :)

I would also vote for Chicago…just the city, not the suburbs…such an ecclectic mix of homes there.

Can’t wait, no matter where you go, I will be in attendance :)

Bella

REAGAN August 26, 2008 at 10:41 am

I think wherever would be great…but what about Denver? Surely there are some nice, original homes there…

Ramona Owen August 26, 2008 at 10:52 am

Anywhere U.S.A. would be great but if I must choose…NYC sounds fun. I can’t wait.

Smiles ~ Ramona

Norma August 26, 2008 at 10:57 am

Well lets see now, I live in Canada, and the only city in the States i’ve ever been too was , Seattle Washington, and that’s when I was a little girl. I’ve always wanted to go to Cape May , New Jersery, they have some beautiful Victorian Homes there , and alot of B&Bs by the looks of it, what a beautiful Sea Side place to go to. Here’s the realestate link. http://www.coastlinerealty.com/

Liz August 26, 2008 at 11:22 am

Can I nominate Vancouver – I know not US but I think there are some spectacular homes there. If US how about Sanibel?

Lizzi August 26, 2008 at 11:40 am

I’m going to say Charleston or Savannah – two of my favorite southern cities.

alison August 26, 2008 at 11:55 am

I’d like to see St. Louis.

livinglocurto August 26, 2008 at 12:03 pm

There are great houses in Highland Park (a suburb of Dallas). I’m with Lizzi… I love the south. Would love to see some Charleston homes. I’ll email you another good link for the Dallas area.

Bella August 26, 2008 at 12:13 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…I have another idea, lol….what about a house from each of the Cantons in the US? You have to be a Stephen Colbert fan to know what I am talking about, haha

janet August 26, 2008 at 1:09 pm

I vote for Seattle or Portland OR. But all of the other suggestions sound great also. As you well know, I will gawk at houses anywhere.

Janet

PS: that’s odd because I just did a post about Seattle upon my return, but I am sure you will find a different part of the city to tour.

joe August 26, 2008 at 1:16 pm

C’mon, you have to choose New York City. $80,000,000 for a 4 bedroom apartment? I mean if you are going to dream big, dream REALLY BIG!

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries August 26, 2008 at 1:28 pm

No one EVER comes to Salt Lake City…

Come here!

visual vamp August 26, 2008 at 1:35 pm

New Orleans PLEASE!

marie August 26, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Newport, RI!!!

Or I’d love to see Charleston, SC. :o)

Ms.Tee August 26, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Hmmm…. NYC or Texas sounds fun to me. :0)

hookedonhouses August 26, 2008 at 2:41 pm

These are all GREAT ideas. I’m going to have a tough time choosing.

I should’ve mentioned that it doesn’t have to be in the U.S. An international Open House week would be fun, too. I just need to be able to find enough good online sites for them. -Julia

Norma August 26, 2008 at 2:46 pm

I’m with Liz (21), can we put a Canadian City Down. Vancouver and Victoria B.C.

Stephanie August 26, 2008 at 3:26 pm

I live near Mendham, New Jersey, which is a really beautiful and REALLY expensive town. Whitney Houston even has a home there. Check out this Coldwell Banker site for listings http://www.coldwellbanker.com/servlet/OfficeListing?action=detail&ComColdwellbankerDataOffice_id=2419&page=listings
These are beautiful, albeit very pricey homes!

Diane August 26, 2008 at 4:23 pm

How about New Orleans LA?

courtney @ nesting instincts August 26, 2008 at 4:27 pm

I’m sorta partial to Portland, Oregon but I don’t have a link for you, Julia. sorry. Perhaps I’ll get a chance to do more research. I do know that our Street of Dreams is going on right now – a neighborhood of newly built, multi-million dollar houses that is open for tours right now. If I can afford the arm and a leg it costs to tour the homes I’ll definitely post pics on my blog.

Melody from ~Pennies In My Pocket~ August 26, 2008 at 4:33 pm

Here are my votes:

Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
Bend, OR
Las Vegas, NV
Santa Barbara, CA
Austin, TX
Destin, FL

~melody~

Laura @ the shorehouse. August 26, 2008 at 5:13 pm

I second Newport and add the Hamptons. There’s some *crazy* real estate out on the eastern end of Long Island, and it just keeps going up and up and up in value. I’d be willing to be your research assistant on that one, Julia. (Maybe someone will even let me crash with them. :-)

deserae August 26, 2008 at 5:22 pm

I’m a house junkie so I’m not picky….I’ll be happy with anything!!! LOL
~Des

Neutral Dwelling August 26, 2008 at 5:28 pm

I have to vote for Louisiana! Lots of beautiful southern charm exists here!

Kellye August 26, 2008 at 5:52 pm

I think Atlanta, Savannah, NYC or San Francisco would all be wonderful. Someone mentioned Pittsburgh and I know that they have some wonderful homes there, as well.

Fifi Flowers August 26, 2008 at 6:03 pm

One of my fantasy is to live in Boston… I lived there for a month but it was in a hotel suite… I would like to live in the city… Brownstone on Scenic Marlborough Street, Historical house on Beacon Hill, maybe something along the Charles River, on the harbour… close enough that I can stroll and paint in the Commons and shop near Newbury Street. Ok… that’s my vote!

If you pick Boston… or when you pick Boston some day… I will do paintings from my month in Boston and link to you!

mrslimestone August 26, 2008 at 7:51 pm

You know my vote is for New York City (ahem, Brooklyn?) but we don’t have MLS here. Everything worth looking at is with exclusive agencies. Not hard to find (they have websites too) but not quite as easy as other cities.

Angela August 26, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Bay Village, Ohio ;-) (I want to live here)
Boston, Mass (I used to live here)
Charlotte, NC (I do live here)
Outer Banks, NC (I just like)

~angela

Pat August 26, 2008 at 9:16 pm

With all thsi convention news I’d love to see some homes in Denver CO!

My son and daughter-in-law bought ahouse in the Highlands area –it is the up and comomh area of Dener with lots of young families.

NYC is always good too! :-))

Thanks ! Love your blog!

Linda B August 26, 2008 at 9:48 pm

Ok…I love the NYC idea. But would personally love to see homes in New Mexico (santa fe?)…and Alaska has some blow your mind places…who’da thunk it?

My two cents, anyway!

Sarah August 26, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Paradise Valley, AZ or Scottsdale, AZ. I’ll be able to enjoy the houses from just about anywhere. There’s no packing boxes when you’re dreaming right?!

Angela August 26, 2008 at 10:01 pm

NYC, Atlanta, or…Houston because no one would ever choose H-Town. http://www.har.com

Wherever, it will be fun!

Kay August 26, 2008 at 10:02 pm

Charleston, SC

Sue August 26, 2008 at 10:03 pm

Well, I COULD pick Oakwood here but the area I was just in, near Chicago (Oak park), is awash in great old homes.
I am betting the San Francisco area is a treasure trove right?
NYC is ALWAYS a fun hunt as is upstate NY.
Vermont…that is nice too.
Maine…near Kennebunkport.
Ashville, and Greeneville NC
Ooh, so many great choices! Wherever you choose, it will be such fun!

Love,
Sue

Ali August 26, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Several commenters listed cities I’ve lived in. My vote is for one of those:

Asheville, NC
Charleston, SC
Alexandria, VA
Cary, NC (I’m actually in Holly Springs, but Cary probably has better houses!)

But any coastal city would be excellent!

Ali
a/k/a marathonali

desiree August 26, 2008 at 11:08 pm

OK in my real life i work as a real estate photographer. And i would love to see (besides my own neck of the woods…silicon valley) i would absolutely LOVE to see Miami…south beach to be exact.

Linda@restyledhome August 27, 2008 at 12:15 am

Absolutely New York…oh, yes please!!
So thankful you do this for us…

Linda
xoxo

Holly August 27, 2008 at 9:49 am

I see there aren’t too many votes for St Louis, but as a 14-yr resident, I have to put up my hand. I agree with the other commenter who mentioned Kirkwood and Webster Groves. St Louis proper has some beauties, too. Big, grand old houses that make something inside me ache just thinking about the history.

Here’s the best local real estate site; I even did a preliminary search for you!

Love your blog!

Holly

Holly August 27, 2008 at 9:53 am
Jessica August 27, 2008 at 10:11 am

Take a look at Edmond, Oklahoma

Aubrey August 27, 2008 at 11:06 am

Ooh! I want to see some houses in NYC in all the boroughs or the Hamptons, or wherever. I wish I was rich and had a cool house somewhere in NYC.

Bettsi August 27, 2008 at 12:17 pm

I like the NYC idea. I mean, really! Where else are you going to find such variety? I like Bella’s idea too for including a “middle class” home too. It’s always interesting to see a range, I think. I can’t wait! Julia, you are so clever!

Beth August 27, 2008 at 1:07 pm

I know I’m late to the party, but I thought I would jump in with another vote for my hometown of St. Louis! There are so many gorgeous new (New Town in St. Charles) and old (all those mentioned above, plus the Central West End) neighborhoods.

I would also love to learn more about the neighborhood surrounding the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City. I saw just part of a really interesting PBS show about how the same developer designed the Plaza and the residential areas around it, and he’s somewhat credited with being the “creator” of modern suburban neighborhood design. His name is J.C. Nichols, but I don’t remember the name of the neighborhood, so I’m not much help!

Nancy August 27, 2008 at 7:42 pm

I know that I am commenting late. I want to nominate Grosse Pointe, MI. There are beautiful mansions there built in the 1920′s for the auto barons. My parents used to take us for drives along Lakeshore as a kid to see these houses. They are incredible.

edie3 August 27, 2008 at 9:10 pm

I am late, too. But there are some gorgeous houses either in the Lake Norman, NC area, and also the Outer Banks.

David August 28, 2008 at 9:26 am

Washington, DC – Great architecture, beautiful neighborhoods and its an election year.

Mrs. B. August 28, 2008 at 1:29 pm

New York City or Chicago.

Christine August 28, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Let’s celebrate the summer! Miami!

Candi- Teal Chic August 29, 2008 at 3:07 am

I’m new to your blog, and I’m thinking Lake Tahoe! Love your posts!!!

Myrna August 29, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Please please please do St. Louis!!!!!!

Cindy ~ my romantic home August 29, 2008 at 8:12 pm

Is it too late to jump in here and suggest Martha’s Vineyard or Nantucket? That would be my choice!

rue August 29, 2008 at 10:26 pm

Hi Julia :)

Let’s see…..
Charleston
Savannah
Wyoming
Colorado
Carmel
Pebble Beach
St. Louis
and anywhere in Ohio :)

rue

Mary September 2, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Chicago (Focus on Hyde Park, Kenwood, Bronzeville, or Old Town)

{ 1 trackback }