A Strawberry Shortcake Kind of Birthday

by hookedonhouses on July 6, 2008

It really tickled my grandma Hazel that so many of you were kind enough to wish her a happy 92nd birthday over the weekend. She said to thank you for thinking of her. She had a wonderful birthday surrounded by family and friends.

For her birthday cake, she requested that I make my strawberry shortcake. It’s her favorite dessert. I made a pyramid of them on one of her old cake stands and put an “H” candle on top (for “Hazel,” of course!).

We love chocolate around here, so I always add chocolate chips to them. Then you can top you shortcake with strawberries, chocolate-chip ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, mini-chocolate chips, or whatever you like. Yum. (Recipe below.)

Here’s a picture of the birthday girl with me and her great-granddaughter Lily:

We were at one of our favorite Japanese restaurants, and Lily was ready to try out her new chopstick skills.

I hope I have half of my grandmother’s spunk and energy at 92! (You may recall the story I told about her in this post.) Hazel moved here from Southern Illinois a few years ago so she wouldn’t be living so far away from all of us any more, and we love having her nearby at her “retirement village.” (I was given strict instructions to let you know it’s not a “nursing home.”) Her only complaint about the village is that, as she puts it, “There’s an awful lot of old people living there!”

Here’s to another happy and healthy year, Grandma. I’m already looking forward to having more strawberry shortcake next July!

Recipe for Julia’s Chocolate-Chip Strawberry Shortcakes:

Mix together:

• 4 2/3 cups Bisquick
  • 1 cup milk
  • 6 tbs sugar
  • 6 tbs melted butter
  • However many chocolate chips or chunks you want

Drop by nice big, round balls onto ungreased cookie sheet (don’t use a dark pan if you can help it because the bottoms of the shortcakes will get done before the rest of them do). I usually get about 14-16 shortcakes out of one batch, which is enough to make a good pyramid on a cake plate.

Bake for about 12 minutes in a 425-degree oven, until the tops are golden brown. And serve ‘em while they’re hot.

Put out whatever toppings you’d like so people can fix their shortcakes how they want. I like a big bowl of sliced strawberries in sugar-syrup (buy frozen ones and you won’t even have to slice them or add the sugar yourself), whipped cream, mini-chocolate chips, chocolate syrup, and tubs of both vanilla and chocolate-chip ice cream.

Believe it or not, some weirdos people don’t like chocolate, so I always make about 4 of the shortcakes without the chips and offer plain vanilla ice cream for them. Hey, I aim to please.

That’s all there is to it. Now gobble it up!

laura @ the shorehouse July 6, 2008 at 11:11 am

(1) Love Grandma H’s attitude and spunk! (2) How could you tempt with those shortcakes and not share the recipe? ;-) I love the idea of throwing some chips in the batter and will give it a shot. I’m glad you enjoyed your weekend. I’m eagerly awaiting your Design Star recap tomorrow morning (more than I’m awaiting the actual show itself).

Dianne July 6, 2008 at 11:19 am

How dare you surround her with “old people”! LOL
I hope I am that spunky as I age. Great post. Thanks!

Hazel Guriel July 6, 2008 at 11:22 am

Dear Julie, Julie, Julie,
What a wonderful surprise when you made my favorite strawberry shortcake for my 92nd birthday. I want you to know you are the only person in this whole wide world to ever make me strawberry shortcake for my birthday dessert. You are my favorite granddaughter! (By the way, you are my only granddaughter).
Thanks again for all you do and for a great birthday. Thanks to all your readers who have wished me Happy Birthday as well. Love you, Grandma Hazel

Brandee July 6, 2008 at 11:37 am

Yum, can we have that recipe?

Love your Grandma’s attitude. She sounds like a hoot!

Brandee :-)

hookedonhouses July 6, 2008 at 11:38 am

Laura’s right. You need the recipe. What was I thinking?? (I’m clearly not used to blogging about food. I’m out of my element here.) The recipe has been added. Hope some of you will try it and let me know how it goes. It’s our favorite summer dessert.

Grandma! I can’t believe you left your first comment on a blog, and it was for me. Love it. We had so much fun celebrating your birthday with you. xo -J

maya July 6, 2008 at 11:49 am

Happy belated birthday, Grandma Hazel! I’m glad you had a great time and can be with the ones you love.

Meredith July 6, 2008 at 11:52 am

Happy Birthday, Hazel. Here’s to another wonderful year. Don’t let those old folks get you down.

Julia, that Bisquick recipe is the BEST for shortcake. My mom used to make it and somewhere along the line, I’d forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder.

I, too, am looking forward to your Design Star recap tomorrow. Maybe I’ll even try to watch it tonight.

Brandee July 6, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Could that recipe get any easier! I’m all about easy, recipes that is.

Brandee :-)

Marie July 6, 2008 at 12:22 pm

What a great picture of the three of you! I want a Hazel of my very own. My grandma died 19 years ago…she was the only grandparent I ever knew! I miss her. Anyway, I’m glad you had a nice day… Japanese restaurant? YUMMO!

Pat July 6, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Hello Julia

I’m running around catching up today!

A belated Happy Birthday to your wonderful grandmother. She’s beautiful!

Have a wonderful week!
Pat

abbreviated July 6, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Happy 92 !

rue July 6, 2008 at 2:47 pm

There is so much cuteness in this post! Grandma Hazel is a doll and I love her comment to you :)

I wish you many more years of health and happiness grandma Hazel!

rue :)

Darla @ UltraBeautyBoutique July 6, 2008 at 7:43 pm

However many chocolate chips or chunks you want sign me up!

Angela July 6, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Is that comment above really from your grandma Hazel??? Don’t tell me that your 92-year-old grandma can get on a computer and post a comment on a blog! She sounds like so much fun!

That cracks me up about Hazel showing off your pretend house card! You should be ashamed of yourself! :) Actually, that is genius.

Oh, Mark Twain. I have been in the middle of his biography for a year now. I just like a chunk of time to read and not here and there so I find I only read on beach vacations, which, uh, don’t happen much. We stayed a night in Hartford on our way up to Vermont on our honeymoon. I so wanted to tour his house, I mean, I love the guy. Talk about genius. Anyway, I, too, had to settle for a drive by. Didn’t trespass and leave smudges on the windows like some people.

Linda@restyledhome July 6, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Your granmother sounds like a real sweetie!! I love her spunk and sense of humour…

Pretty picture of you all, and I think that is the best take on Strawberry shortcake I have heard in a long while!

Karla & Karrie July 6, 2008 at 10:00 pm

Yum…..I’m glad to see you don’t use those sponge cakes for your strawberry shortcakes! We love the bisquick ones too…..but now chocolate chips – that is something new – and must be tried!!
Glad you had a lovely time!
Karla

Tori July 7, 2008 at 10:01 am

Mmm…thinking about chocolate shortcakes makes me want chocolate chip pancakes. Lol, that may sound funny, but it
makes sense in my head. It makes me happy knowing that
Grandma Hazel had a wonderful birthday.

Marilyn July 7, 2008 at 5:03 pm

What a wonderful picture – I heart Hazel! And you creative baker you…looks delicious!

Andrea July 7, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Happy Birthday Hazel! I’m sure you know but I’ll say it anyway – because of you, there are several very special people in this world. God bless you, Andrea

daisy cottage July 14, 2008 at 9:56 pm

Hazel you are ADORABLE! And your granddaughter is too! ;-)

xo,
Kim

Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates September 5, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Thanks so much for linking up! I’m so glad to get this recipe – chocolate in the shortcakes – yay!

I’m definitely going to make these. Yummy. :)

jeanne September 11, 2008 at 4:13 pm

Hey, those look quick and yummy!!

{ 2 trackbacks }