Paint a Colorful Life

by hookedonhouses on March 27, 2008

It’s finally Spring, and I’m craving color. I thought it would be fun to look at some rooms that are bright and bold thanks to some daring paint choices.

This colorful room, for example, was inspired by a Roy Lichtenstein painting, with the colors outlined in black electrical tape to capture the effect of the artist’s 1990s “Interiors” series. Interesting how it gives the same sort of effect as crown molding with a lot less time and effort! (Paint colors: Maritime Blue and Marigold from Benjamin Moore. Via Domino magazine.)

A kitchen from Cottage Living:

This striped hallway was featured in Cottage Living:

From Ideal Home magazine in the U.K. comes this fuschia bathroom:

It would be hard to be gloomy in this kelly green and crisp white kitchen (Domino. Direct Green #6924, from Sherwin-Williams. Photo credit: Paul Costello):

Would you be brave enough to paint your kitchen cabinets like this? According to Southern Accents, the paint color was called Red Lacquer, but it looks an awful lot like hot pink to me:

From Real Simple, here’s a vibrant blue workspace that does double-duty with a changing table:

This teenage girl’s room would be a little too sweet without the shot of poppy on the accent wall (Domino. Benjamin Moore paints: Red Tulip #2000-30 and Pink Petals #2085-60):

janet March 28, 2008 at 9:28 am

Hmmm….I am always attracted to the yellow rooms. That kitchen is very cute, but I think yellow that bright might be hard to live with over the long haul.

Janet

Stephanie March 28, 2008 at 11:55 am

OK, I would so not paint my kitchen cabinets that color, although I have to say it looks awesome in that room! I also really like the striped hallway – how cool!

fat stylist March 30, 2008 at 10:36 am

Aw! That fuchsia pink kitchen is hot.

JLB March 31, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Those kitchen cabinet are not pink!!!!! They are red. It must be the pick you used. They were featured several times in various publications. I would so paint my cabinets like that if I had a huge kitchen like the one in the pics.It wouldn’t matter anyway since I have never cooked a meal in my life and never intend to. So I don’t spend a lot of time in the kitchen that way it wouldn’t matter if I ended up not liking it.

JLB March 31, 2008 at 12:39 pm

I really hate the workspace color. It is what I call “Seizure Inducing Blue”. It makes my brain hurt!!!

Jennifer April 11, 2008 at 9:14 am

I’m in such a colorful mood lately that this post hit the spot! Thank you for sharing!

Carolyn Luthe July 5, 2010 at 1:58 pm

i am hooked on old houses too. I love your site it inspires me so

Carolyn Luthe February 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm

tell me if you can get to my blog, i can’t seem to publish it
The house is very colorful- i know you are a house lover and so am i . I love to read your pages. Thank you so much
Carolyn Luthe

hookedonhouses February 7, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I clicked over to your blog and left a comment. What an adorable pink house you’ve got! :-)

{ 4 trackbacks }