Lilipad Studio: Handpainted Children’s Furniture

by hookedonhouses on March 12, 2008

I have a daughter named Lily, so maybe I’m partial to a company that calls itself Lilipad Studios, but I love their handpainted table and chair sets for children. This is the Mandarin Butterfly table and chair set. Lily would love this, but she has had to make do with a tough-as-nails plastic table and chair set that my brother rescued off a curb for us years ago. Until I saw these, I didn’t realize how deprived she was!

Lilipad Studio is a small company in Idaho founded by artist Laura Higdon. The website says: “While combing design centers and furniture stores across the country as a designer, Laura recognized that the very few pieces of really imaginative, high quality, hand-made furniture she could find for children existed primarily in antique stores–usually crafted by a loving family member from a past generation.”
Want more?-

maya March 12, 2008 at 7:01 am

I love these. They’re beautifully made and the detail is wonderful. Alas, they are out of my budget, but I am certainly enjoying the photos.

CindyK March 12, 2008 at 7:41 am

The butterfly one reminds me of botanical prints. I wonder how hard it would be to transfer those prints onto a more modestly priced (cheap) wooden table and chairs? The designs are incredible, and I wish we had the budget for one of these sets, although sadly, it’s out of our range, too!

hookedonhouses March 12, 2008 at 8:18 am

I imagine a creative and crafty person could use this as inspiration to paint their own wooden table and chair set. Good point, CindyK! It probably wouldn’t look nearly as good, but unless you were comparing them side by side, who would know the difference but you? You’d still have a colorful and fun little table for your kids. And you’d be less likely to freak when they got marker smears on it.

My daughter is already outgrowing the Little Tikes table she used as a toddler and preschooler. We put our old white kitchen table in the playroom as a “craft table,” and I bought some fun, bright orange-painted chairs to go with it.

The table is big enough to hold an array of shoebox-sized Rubbermaid boxes in the center with markers, crayons, scissors, tape, glue, stamps, and construction paper. We even have a box for “finished artwork” that they put their creations in when they’re done. And a giant bulletin board next to it to display their favorites on. They love it! -Julia

Laurel March 12, 2008 at 9:43 am

Thanks for wandering over to my blog. Love these tables they are so adorable!!

hookedonhouses March 12, 2008 at 11:57 am

Welcome, Laurel! I really enjoyed your website. Anyone who blogs about “Project Runway” immediately gets Bookmarked by me. I’m hooked on that show. :-)

Tuinmeubelen March 29, 2009 at 5:29 am

I think my children will love them very much..they always insists me to buy one of such for their studies..i know they jst want them to have new things for their room but i would surely give them a try