Stokesay Court: the Private English Estate Used in the Keira Knightley Film “Atonement”

by hookedonhouses on February 24, 2008

Stokesay Court from the movie Atonement

Ilove the Oscars. All day I tried to think of a way to justify writing about them on a website dedicated to houses. Then it occurred to me–write about my favorite house from a movie in the past year! That’ll work. I have a habit of watching certain movies over and over again just because I like the set design (as I admitted in Houses on the Big Screen), so I couldn’t resist taking this opportunity to post a photo of the movie set I’m rooting for.

It’s the English manor Stokesay Court, which was used in Atonement, and it’s my pick for this year’s Academy Award.

Scene from Keira Knightley movie Atonement

Regarding the stunning Stokesay Court, Architectural Digest reports:

Production designer Sarah Greenwood and set decorator Katie Spencer found Stokesay Court, a private home in Shropshire, England, which they felt embodied the English manor depicted in Ian McEwan’s 2002 best-selling novel Atonement.

Director Joe Wright and his cast and crew spent five weeks at Stokesay, filming both interiors and exteriors at the house, which was built in 1889. The production design team spent seven weeks prior to filming creating a 1930s look for the home.

Screenshot of Drawing Room from Atonement

I love this green dress Keira Knightley wears in the movie:

Keira Knightley in green dress Atonement movie

These photos show how Stokesay Court looks today (via their website):

Stokesay Court from Atonement 1

Stokesay Court staircase from Atonement

Stokesay Court from the movie Atonement 2

Stokesay Court from the movie Atonement 3

Photos via Architectural Digest, the New York Times, and the Stokesay Court website. You can read all about the house in an interesting article and see more of these photos at the NYT. If you want to take a tour in person, go to the official Stokesay Court website to find out how.

Visit my TV/Movie Houses page to see more, including…

Great Gatsby movie 2013 housesThe Great Gatsby

Amy February 25, 2008 at 10:22 am

Movies? I’m not sure I’ve watched a good movie this year. I’m too busy watching cartoons with the little ones :(

This house is perfectly wonderful.

hookedonhouses February 25, 2008 at 10:27 am

Oh, me, too, Amy. If it’s not on DVD yet, there’s a good chance I haven’t seen it. I think “Enchanted” was the only movie nominated for an Oscar (for the songs) I had actually seen! It’s a sad case of affairs, frankly.

I haven’t even seen “Atonement” yet–just drooled over the photos of it, so I have no idea if it’s any good or not. (Anyone out there who can tell me?) Somehow I imagine the sets for “No Country for Old Men” and “There Will Be Blood” wouldn’t be quite my thing. ;-)

CindyK February 25, 2008 at 12:45 pm

Atonement was one of the few films I saw, and that house (and Keira Knightley’s green dress) should have received special Oscars. It was just amazing. Also amazing that the actual estate used for the film is still a private estate; I had no idea that homes like that were still privately owned. I would never leave the house if it were mine.

Beth May 25, 2008 at 10:23 pm

There is also a great article about the Set Decorator, Katie Spencer for the film “Atonement” that you can read about online.
If you are a fan of the movie or just the house, this explains the details!

Beth May 25, 2008 at 10:24 pm
teaorwine August 14, 2008 at 8:11 am

I loved this movie! Quirky as it was.

real estate supplies September 4, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Oh my,
that is my dream home, I loved that movie, and the mansion is my dream. It is one beauty.

Cheers,
Lorna

bungalowbliss December 9, 2008 at 8:58 am

Absolutely loved this movie–the plot, the set, the costume design. It was fantastic! Thanks for the tour. I hadn’t seen it since the movie was released in theaters, so it’s nice to ‘go back.’

Amy @ Living Locurto December 30, 2008 at 10:14 am

Gorgeous estate. What a dream place to go to work. This movie had one of the best love scenes ever. Yowza!

PLO January 6, 2009 at 11:58 am

I would love to walk this estate. Thanks also for the movie recommendation.

Arleen @ Seasons for All at Home March 29, 2009 at 12:50 pm

I’ve not yet seen this movie, but I love those interiors! As always, thanks for sharing these photographs with us, Julia. ~Arleen

Arleen @ Seasons for All at Home’s last blog post..Inspiration ~ Archways, Indoors and Out

toby June 19, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Miss Trunchbells house from Matilda
(the house from catch me if you can)
MY DREAM HOUSE (one of them)

Michelle Gonzales May 31, 2011 at 8:44 am

wow! i love the pic of the staircase!!!! absoltely beautiful!

{ 1 trackback }